WAMC/ It is too late? URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mellowed13

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, just some quick questions. I know it’s already late in the MD cycle but I want to figure out if I should bother applying to anymore schools. TIA!

1. cGPA: 3.59 and sGPA: 3.26 (I have a strong upward trend in both with a postbacc GPA of 3.8 and masters GPA at 3.8- undergrad was a bit rough and graduated with a 3.1)
2. 498 MCAT (122/127/125/124)
3. Black Female 26 yo
4. T15 undergrad
5. MD resident w/ strong ties to GA
6. ~1500 clinical hours as a Medical Assistant (still working this job so expecting more as well)
7. 320 clinical research hours at Morehouse SOM
8. Non- clinical volunteering - 700 hours
9. ~100 shadowing hours
10. Several leadership positions (NPHC President, dance organization treasurer, RA on campus for 3 years, community service chair, etc.)

I’ve already applied to and submitted secondaries for Morehouse and Howard.
I’ve applied to UAB, Rosalind Franklin, Albert Einstein (I know this is a reach), and Drexel.

Thanks so much!
 
I suggest adding these schools this week:
West Virginia
Meharry
Charles Drew
Eastern Virginia
Belmont
TCU
Medical College Wisconsin
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Temple
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tulane
 
I suggest adding these schools this week:
West Virginia
Meharry
Charles Drew
Eastern Virginia
Belmont
TCU
Medical College Wisconsin
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Temple
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tulane
I suggest adding these schools this week:
West Virginia
Meharry
Charles Drew
Eastern Virginia
Belmont
TCU
Medical College Wisconsin
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Temple
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tulane
Hi! Just to clarify, are you recommending that she send her secondary to these schools? Is it not too late? I applied to 18 and looking to add more as well and just curious.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not too late. The gpa is fine. Gonna be tough with that MCAT. I agree - add Charles Drew and Meharry. Add the others too but your best shot will be the hbcu.

Call up the schools and start networking with snma groups. See if they have any advice for you. Ask for help with practice interviews in particular.
 
Last edited: