need advice on Kaplan online course.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easy breathing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was considering taking Kaplan classroom course, but
found that the schedule conflicts with my school classes, so
now I'm thinking of taking online course.
any advice on this?
if it' not really helpful, I don't want to spend $1300 on nothing.
and personally, I am a type of person who prefers actually being in class
rather than watching video.

thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

With kaplan, you do the learning outside of class, NOT in class. The class is just to clarify questions and here and there! If you cannot sit still and read several chapters and do review problems by yourself, kaplan is not for you. PM if you have any specific questions. I have a lot of experience in this topic.

Yeah, I'm debating on whether to take Kaplan online as well...I'm not sure if its worth it but I don't want to be in the "would've, could've, should've boat"

I think kaplan is good as long as you do studying outside the course as well. If you could dedicate to studying 5-6 hours a day average over 3 month period then you don't need to take kaplan. I personally did not take kaplan, but I studied A LOT and did pretty good on the test.

I know some people think that the kaplan course only will get them there.. but I have seen the opposite.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think it's worth the money. Buy some good book and study. I dont think online class is that effective.

Suggestion: used your school text book for biol, chem. Destroyer, kaplan blue book, topscore for test.

I would say that class is for RICH prdent student. how much did you learn when you take an online class.

I would say that class is for RICH prdent student. how much did you learn when you take an online class.

I hate to say this, but you're so wrong on this one. Most people that take kaplan are not rich, they're people that want to make sure they're well prepared for the DAT the first time they take it. Sorry buddy.

I hate to say this, but you're so wrong on this one. Most people that take kaplan are not rich, they're people that want to make sure they're well prepared for the DAT the first time they take it. Sorry buddy.
I'm not rich, i took it and i did not think it helped me as much as practice tests like topscore achiever and crack dat pat . I'm studying Achiever now as well and i love it. I did not learn much from Kaplan but everyone is different. i did not find their practice tests as helpful...

As a not wealthy predent who forked over a lot for the class ... i would personally not recommend the class to anyone, rich or poor. The first time I took the DAT after taking the class = not so good, 0 interviews and a reapply, second time after studying on my own, reading SDN posts to find the best materials = 9 interviews and 4 dental school offers so far!

but I heard if you don't improve or did bad you get refund or you could take the class again.. did that happen to you eldirty?

Kaplan online materials was the best thing that I could have used to prepare. Orgo, Chem, and QR were like identical to the real thing. RC and Bio were similar.

Take the online course. I dont know if it is cheaper or not, but either way it is good. This summer I took the actual course and it in no way helped me. I did all of my learning with the books from kaplan and the online practice test and quizzes. Those online practice tests are identical to the real thing and really really help you get aquainted with the dat

I am currently taking the online class now and I believe that it is helpful. Not sure if it really worth $1300 but I sure do get good practice with it.
BTW, if anyone interested in taking the kaplan course PM me I might be able to help you save some $.
thanks

I took the kaplan classroom course and it was on the money. Im sure the online material is compareable.

I had not seen orgo or gen chem in 3 years and I had C's in these courses in undergrad so I was especially concerned.

Exception, Kaplan is not good for the PAT.