Need some guidance on stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

helenad432

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got my second DAT score back which I had studied for three months for and I’m feeling incredibly defeated because I’ve improved in all sections except one and ended up with the exact same AA score. I have my applications all completely ready to submit. I went to UT Austin, had a 3.6 GPA, a sGPA of 3.33, have over 100 shadowing hours, was in a sorority, TPS, and another prehealth organization where I held a leadership position, while doing philanthropy in all three organizations. I believe I wrote a pretty strong PS and have two LORs from science professors and two LORs from dentists I shadowed. I also had a job in a healthcare environment. With my DAT score, is this still a reasonable stat to apply early with?
IMG_9950.png
 
Last edited:
I just got my second DAT score back which I had studied for three months for and I’m feeling incredibly defeated because I’ve improved in all sections except one and ended up with the exact same AA score. I have my applications all completely ready to submit. I went to UT Austin, had a 3.6 GPA, a sGPA of 3.33, have over 100 shadowing hours, was in a sorority, TPS, and another prehealth organization where I held a leadership position, while doing philanthropy in all three organizations. I believe I wrote a pretty strong PS and have two LORs from science professors and two LORs from dentists I shadowed. I also had a job in a healthcare environment. With my DAT score, is this still a reasonable stat to apply early with?View attachment 421233
I know this is discouraging, especially after spending another three months studying. But I don't think this second attempt means you should give up.


You improved in most of your sections, and that's something to be proud of. Unfortunately, your Reading Comprehension score dropped enough to keep your Academic Average the same. I know that's frustrating, but it doesn't take away from the progress you made.


Based on what you've shared—a 3.6 GPA, a 3.33 science GPA, over 100 hours of shadowing, leadership experience, healthcare employment, strong letters of recommendation, and an application that's ready to go—I think it's reasonable to move forward with your application. Dental schools look at the whole applicant, not just one number.


I would apply broadly and pay close attention to each school's average GPA and DAT scores to make sure you're applying to a balanced list of schools. If you receive interview invitations, spend time preparing for those as well—they can make a real difference.


Don't lose confidence in yourself. Many students have felt exactly the way you do right now and have gone on to have successful application cycles.


I wish you the very best this application cycle, and I hope you'll come back and let us know how everything turns out. Nancy