*Official UConn School of Dental Medicine c/o 2013 Acceptance Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RAK1987

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My aadsas changed this morning!!!! I'm totally stoked!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Go Huskies....:claps::clap:

i'm in...nice

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been reading the SDN for many months and finally registered today. I got my offer today as well, very excited!

wow! first of all, congratulations to all accepted--that's really great news!

i was wondering if anyone knows when (and if at all) the second set of acceptances are sent? and how many? it's not looking good for me :(
with a 3.9 and a 19/20 you didn't get any acceptances??

i know, that's why i'm so upset about uconn!?? i interviewed really late (nov 19th) but that shouldn't matter. the interview went really well too i thought? just don't understand what's going on really...:(

did you get the interviewee mass email from dr. thibodeau? i believe mine was sent out at about 2:30....or so. PM me if you didnt receive i will fwd over to you...

Mena, please call (and then post it on here!)!!!!

I did, thank you! It relieved me a little bit, but still...I wonder what it was that made them send out so few acceptances right now?? I'm so tempted to e-mail him and ask when the next round will be...

Last year they sent out so many acceptances on Dec 1st that their class was full by December end. They didnt get a chance for the second round of acceptances or to even look at the wait listed students. That is why this year they will be slow with the notification.

Last year they sent out so many acceptances on Dec 1st that their class was full by December end. They didnt get a chance for the second round of acceptances or to even look at the wait listed students. That is why this year they will be slow with the notification.

That is because it is the BEST dental school! Everyone wants to go there!

That is because it is the BEST dental school! Everyone wants to go there!

No its actually because their class size is 40 which is tiny compared to most other schools. Its a good school but don't overdo it. Its definitely not the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dint get an acceptance either (so far).... i have been bummed about it since past 2 days now (not that uconn is my top choice)... but it was my 1st interview experience, and I had a great experience at uconn overall!! it seemed like it went really well, and infact dr. T replied back to my thank u note in a very very affirming manner!! i dont understand wat they r upto..... may be i m too far for them!!

-masksof2004

Hi guys, I talked to Dr. Thibodeau yesterday and he was very reassuring, he didnt give me any hints, but said that I was in the pool that they would take the next acceptances from (if they hear back from those students that decide to go elsewhere). They did have the situation of offering too many people spots last year, so they are covering themselves this year. I imagine it means that if they hear that a student decided to recline their offer they will offer acceptance to someone from the pool, up until late jan, kindof a one-in one-out situation. After that point everyone else will go on the waitlist.
Its still not looking amazing but those of us who havent heard still have a shot.

how long do we have to decide if we were notified on dec 2 by aadsas, i haven't even received my packet in the mail yet!!

Hi guys, I talked to Dr. Thibodeau yesterday and he was very reassuring, he didnt give me any hints, but said that I was in the pool that they would take the next acceptances from (if they hear back from those students that decide to go elsewhere). They did have the situation of offering too many people spots last year, so they are covering themselves this year. I imagine it means that if they hear that a student decided to recline their offer they will offer acceptance to someone from the pool, up until late jan, kindof a one-in one-out situation. After that point everyone else will go on the waitlist.
Its still not looking amazing but those of us who havent heard still have a shot.
good luck i'm leaning towards accepting my seat, sorry
you'll get in though!!

question for those who know about uconn, searched but couldn't find it:

how hard is it to get a pass? is it different per class?
is it high pass or pass with honors or any thing else than just pass or no pass?

question for those who know about uconn, searched but couldn't find it:

how hard is it to get a pass? is it different per class?
is it high pass or pass with honors or any thing else than just pass or no pass?

There is just P/F. An average on exams are around 70ish. But a pass for dental students is ~60 and little higher for med students. But its not easy to score 60 but its doable. You need to put in time and effort and its completely doable. and you still get time to go out and to party.
Either you study everyday for 2-3 hours or study 2-3 weeks before the exam for 8 hours a day.

my fiance is currently an MD/PhD student there (for those who dont know, dental and med students take class together for the first two years) - - any ways... he said you really have to neglect your studies to not pass. he said each exam there are probably only a few kids who dont get a pass. it's not really easy, cuz then everyone would go there... but you really have to screw off to not get a pass.

how long do we have to decide if we were notified on dec 2 by aadsas, i haven't even received my packet in the mail yet!!
45 days from date of acceptance.

my fiance is currently an MD/PhD student there (for those who dont know, dental and med students take class together for the first two years) - - any ways... he said you really have to neglect your studies to not pass. he said each exam there are probably only a few kids who dont get a pass. it's not really easy, cuz then everyone would go there... but you really have to screw off to not get a pass.

You may not have to work hard to pass, but you will have to work hard to fail or get kicked out of the school.
They say that if they take you, then they will graduate you.

You may not have to work hard to pass, but you will have to work hard to fail or get kicked out of the school.

thats is not whay i heard from a recent alum. he said that their class had an attrition rate of about 10% after the first year....

thats is not whay i heard from a recent alum. he said that their class had an attrition rate of about 10% after the first year....

A class of 40 and an attrition rate of 10% yikes:eek:. At that rate after 2 years they will prob have a class size of like 33-34. Too small.

that's what i was hoping to hear, i'm REALLY considering UConn, i'm just a little worried about the "extremely demanding curriculum" haha, i'm a hard worker, but i just want to make sure that the classes are not impossible

as long as you have a solid science background i really dont think it's going to be that bad...

that's what i was hoping to hear, i'm REALLY considering UConn, i'm just a little worried about the "extremely demanding curriculum" haha, i'm a hard worker, but i just want to make sure that the classes are not impossible

If it would be impossible then they wont be going out 3 days a week. People have been graduating from UConn so its definitely doable.

If it would be impossible then they wont be going out 3 days a week. People have been graduating from UConn so its definitely doable.
yup, i'm just hoping that it's not going to be exceedingly more difficult than somewhere else.

its great that it's pass fail, but say to get a 60% at UConn =getting 100%+ at another school? (that wouldn't be cool)

No its actually because their class size is 40 which is tiny compared to most other schools. Its a good school but don't overdo it. Its definitely not the best.

Amen to that.

Anyhow, I read on another thread that in uconn, if you decide dental is not for you, you can opt to switch to medical school during the first two years? That seems pretty far fetched, but interesting nontheless. Can anyone else confirm this?

Amen to that.

Anyhow, I read on another thread that in uconn, if you decide dental is not for you, you can opt to switch to medical school during the first two years? That seems pretty far fetched, but interesting nontheless. Can anyone else confirm this?

I am almost positive that you can not just switch like that. I know it is possible to switch and people at UCONN have done it.
But you can not go to your dean, tell them you are switching and be done with it.

I am almost positive that you can not just switch like that. I know it is possible to switch and people at UCONN have done it.
But you can not go to your dean, tell them you are switching and be done with it.

Right, I know it wouldn't be a "hey guys I'm going med starting tomorrow" type deal. But is the process there? like say you're a D1 and you wanna swap over to M2 for next year well uhh so would you have to take the Mcats or write a statement or what?

Just the fact that the swap is possible seems odd, so I'm interested in getting the facts straight before I give any wrong advice to people.

Amen to that.

you may get a good dental education at SB, but the school itself is an s-hole. if you have options, why go there (besides instate tuition break)?

you may get a good dental education at SB, but the school itself is an s-hole. if you have options, why go there (besides instate tuition break)?

Hmm the school itself is a s-hole? At this point, your statement is outright groundless. Please Cite your sources, or at least offer an argument to back that up. Judging from your predents account, I question how many times you have even been to Stony Brook, or even New York for that matter. Unless you had an extensive tour of the StonyBrook campus, please refrain from making such assertive statements.

Before you call me a hypocrite, saying that Uconn is not the best school requires no argument since every school places emphasis on different aspects of dentistry, and thus there really is no such thing as a "best" dental school.

As for your question about SB, instate tutition was a great motivation for me to go there. However, I also enjoy the small class size, the fact that everyone gets their own assigned chair, the fact that we get to work with dental assistants in third and fouth years, the fact that the entire dental clinic is paperless,

and last but not least, the fact that Long Island is a nice place for anyone who enjoys contemplation in a peaceful environment. :thumbup:

Last edited:

and last but not least, the fact that Long Island is a nice place for anyone who enjoys contemplation in a peaceful environment. :thumbup:

Ha ha, I don't think you can get more quiet than Farmington CT.

Last edited:
Congrats to all those that have been accepted to any dental school! That alone is an amazing accomplishment! To those that are waiting to hear back from schools hang in there and don't second guess your purpose or give up on your dreams! As a current D1 at UConn, I can tell you that applying and choosing the right school is half of the battle. Make the most of your time between now and the beginning of school because once you get started you'll be running. Don't read into what people say about things being impossibly hard, but work on becoming efficient and living a well-balanced lifestyle. Try to establish a support system and don't be afraid to ask questions or seek assistance. There will definitely come a time where you need it, so don't be ashamed to seek it. I am happy to answer any questions that arise regarding moving, financial aid process, adjusting to d-school, or anything else on your mind. Just PM me. Hope to see ya soon and welcome to the dental profession!

Ha ha, I don't think you can get more quiet than Farmington CT.

Lol maybe, but there's only two good things in CT. Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun. =D I bet UConn kids are gonna flame me for saying that. Rofl just kidding :laugh:

The UCHC is a bustling metropolis compared to the undergrad uconn campus in storrs.

I'll take west hartford over that any day.

Anyone looking at apts in farmington yet?

The UCHC is a bustling metropolis compared to the undergrad uconn campus in storrs.

I'll take west hartford over that any day.

Anyone looking at apts in farmington yet?
i need to start looking into apartments, i figured i'd just live across the street in that apartment complex (i forget the name) need to find a roommate too lol, maybe we should start a thread haha

(and yes, i like the idea of living in nice farmington, no crime, no city troubles, very nice place for 4 years)