Plan B?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ukraine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you do if you're not accepted into any of PT programs? I'm thinking about becoming PT assistant if that happens.

Members don't see this ad.

What would you do if you're not accepted into any of PT programs? I'm thinking about becoming PT assistant if that happens.

Reapply along with starting a Master's with a dual degree MBA. Is what I was leaning towards.

Reapply along with starting a Master's with a dual degree MBA. Is what I was leaning towards.

I would rather take a year off, get a full-time job, make some money, repeat some of the prereqs, and maybe take the GREs over again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would rather take a year off, get a full-time job, make some money, repeat some of the prereqs, and maybe take the GREs over again.

I would definitely retake GRE, but After a while retaking Pre-Reqs doesn't really help in upping your GPA. Its like pulling a train, if you take 100lbs off, it will help but not THAT much.

Most of the MS/MBA programs I looked at so far are at night, therefore a full time job would go along without question. I was answering plan B academically.

I would get more experience working or volunteering in different PT settings and maybe take some classes over again. I would definitely try again and not give up on something I want to do!

Hang in there. I have thought about PTA as well, and master's programs in other areas... when it comes down to it, PT is the career I want, and I've decided I will not take 'no' for an answer.
Consider this: many PTA programs are pretty popular right now and have waitlists to go through before you are even matriculated. How long do you want to wait to be a PTA instead of a PT? With the time and effort it takes, I would retake any classes that you have low grades in and really strive for improvement there.
That's what I am doing, and I refuse to give up.

Just for the sake of argument and play devils advocate. How far is too far in the persuit of becoming a PT?

What everyone is mentioning about retaking classes, upping GRE, improving your weakness is a given, but how much time are you willing to spend to achieve it?

This is what I want to know, and I think kind of the OP's thoughts as well.

Hang in there. I have thought about PTA as well, and master's programs in other areas... when it comes down to it, PT is the career I want, and I've decided I will not take 'no' for an answer.
Consider this: many PTA programs are pretty popular right now and have waitlists to go through before you are even matriculated. How long do you want to wait to be a PTA instead of a PT? With the time and effort it takes, I would retake any classes that you have low grades in and really strive for improvement there.
That's what I am doing, and I refuse to give up.

I'm in the middle of my Plan B.
I am on my second year of applying to PT schools, last year I made it to the first alternate spot for Texas State-San Marcos. Most of the PTs/Professors/and Mentors that I have spoken with really encouraged me to stick with it and apply again. The therapist that I work for at the moment shared with me that it took him three years to get in to a program and he is a great therapist.
To make myself a better applicant this time around, I took one more biology course to up my math/science GPA even higher, now work full time at an outpatient clinic as a tech, and was an anatomy lab TA last spring (unfortunately something I found out last minute and was not able to put on applications last year). And so far it seems to have helped, I am still in the midst of the application process, but I do have more interviews this year than I did last year so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
My advise is don’t give up with out a fight, if I don’t make it in this year I am going to continue with my MFA in photography and then try again later for a DPT (there are many things I want to do in life but really want to be a physical therapist)
I wish you the best of luck

If you really want to reapply than retake your prereqs, maybe GREs if your scores are low and volunteer or work to get more hours.

This is my first year applying, but I took a year off after my B.S. to do some of the prereqs, experience, letters of Reqs, and GRE. During this time I also applied to a MPH program and have finished two semesters of it. By the time I start PT School next fall (if I get in), I should be about 2/3 done with my MPH. If I don't get in, I still have it to fall back on. If I do get in, I can finish my MPH with online classes.

I guess it would really depend on how badly you want to do PT. I have seen PharmD students reapply year after year for several cycles. Some get in and some end up doing something else. It is that competitve in their field. Just have a back-up plan in case. Hope this helps

I would definitely not apply to a PTA program, simply because there are very few transitional PTA-DPT programs available and which would, in a sense, waste the time that you put into studying for your PTA (which, IMO, is very unfortunate and needs to be changed). The above suggestions were all good...I would also add looking into complementary programs as well, such as massage therapy (1 year, usually), ATC (usually a 2 year Masters), MPH, MBA, etc, depending on your particular practice area interests. Rather than retaking credits, graduate credits/degrees will be a great addition to your application and give you valuable skill sets that you will be able to use in your future career. You have a goal: this is an opportunity to make yourself a better therapist in the long run!

Edit:
I would probably retake a general chemistry 1 class if they let me; or just go for something esle like pharmacy.

But I shouldnt have a plan b, Im a very confident person and I just need to sit down and solve the whole Chemistry book and physics book. I should be okay.

Last edited:
Edit:
I would probably retake a general chemistry 1 class if they let me; or just go for something esle like pharmacy.

But I shouldnt have a plan b, Im a very confident person and I just need to sit down and solve the whole Chemistry book and physics book. I should be okay.

Read your own post Ochemist. I would retake chemistry or go for something else like Pharmacy?

Do you realize that there is chemistry involved in making and understanding medicine don't you?

Im sorry, what I was trying to say was that Im not the same person I was before. I took chemistry during the summer with 2 other classes while working at night; I wanted to challenge myself; thus my grades failed. Now I solved the whole general chemistry book this break and Im reviewing it every week. I should be okay; I should not doubt myself, if I do, Ill lose this drive to do good.

Last edited:
If I wasn't accepted into any DPT programs, my "Plan B" was going to be to leave my research position in August, spend a year teaching high school bio (I got certified via my undergrad), and reapply broader next year.

I never entertained the idea of PTA and probably never would. There doesn't appear to be a transition path from PTA to DPT, so I'd rather wait a year and reapply. I've spent two years post-UG working anyways; I'd wait it out another year or two if it meant being able to do want I really want.