Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I would like everyone's input on my chances of getting into Vet School as an older, non-traditional student. Here's my background:
The positive things:
BS Degree in Animal Science from Univ. of Wisconsin (GPA=3.6/honors)
Some graduate work at Ohio State University in Animal Digestive Physiology (GPA=4.0)
GRE of 1200
Taught Equestrian Studies/Animal Science at a Prep School and College for 5 years total
Strong communication skills (I've written 20 computer books and have taught extensively in business settings)
Have worked for a small animal vet and have had many years of hands-on experience with horses (foaling out mares, training, etc.). I've also written articles for horse magazines and have a small sporthorse farm.
Most of all, a very strong interest in vet work for many, many years.
Now for the downside:
As you can imagine, all this experience has taken years to acquire. I've always been extremely interested in vet work, but have never had a life situation that would allow me go to vet school. However, my daughters are going to college themselves and I would love to pursue my dream of becoming a vet.
Is it impossible to be accepted to vet school at this point in my life? I will be 50 at time of application! Even though I'm a strong type-A person in very good health (and am quite focused) I don't honestly know if vet schools will be open at all to an older student.
Thoughts? I would really like a realistic idea of my chances.
I would like everyone's input on my chances of getting into Vet School as an older, non-traditional student. Here's my background:
The positive things:
BS Degree in Animal Science from Univ. of Wisconsin (GPA=3.6/honors)
Some graduate work at Ohio State University in Animal Digestive Physiology (GPA=4.0)
GRE of 1200
Taught Equestrian Studies/Animal Science at a Prep School and College for 5 years total
Strong communication skills (I've written 20 computer books and have taught extensively in business settings)
Have worked for a small animal vet and have had many years of hands-on experience with horses (foaling out mares, training, etc.). I've also written articles for horse magazines and have a small sporthorse farm.
Most of all, a very strong interest in vet work for many, many years.
Now for the downside:
As you can imagine, all this experience has taken years to acquire. I've always been extremely interested in vet work, but have never had a life situation that would allow me go to vet school. However, my daughters are going to college themselves and I would love to pursue my dream of becoming a vet.
Is it impossible to be accepted to vet school at this point in my life? I will be 50 at time of application! Even though I'm a strong type-A person in very good health (and am quite focused) I don't honestly know if vet schools will be open at all to an older student.
Thoughts? I would really like a realistic idea of my chances.
)...so this'll be a quicky: I think your chances are just as good as any other student applying to vet school. How old are your pre-req sciences courses? Most schools would like these courses taken w/in 7-10 (I think I've seen one that said 6 years) of matriculation so do some research on which schools you'll be applying to. Also, depending on how old your hands on exp is, you'll need more recent exp - again try changing it up a bit - emergency/small or large animal specialty practice. 