Observing Surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PigCowSheep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been shadowing a pair of vets for the past couple of weeks while I'm home over winter break. It's just the clinic that I take my dogs to, since they know me they were agreeable to my following them around for a few days a week.

Anyway, while I've been shadowing, I've been watching lots of surgeries. Just your basic spay/neuter and tumor removals for the most part. But my question is this. On about the 8th surgery I observed, which was yesterday, I got really nauseous, light headed, hot, and weak. You know, all the precursors of fainting/passing out. It was a spay and tumor removal of a formerly heartworm positive mini doxie, so not any more gory than anything I had already observed. Is this normal?

I left the room once and went to the restroom and put some water on my face, felt better, went back, and pretty soon felt ill again, left, took off my long sleeves to cool down a bit, went back and was able to watch the rest of the procedure. It was an 8am and I hadn't had anything to eat, could this be a contributing factor? Of course while I was out of the room all the horrid thoughts started racing: maybe this isn't the career for me, maybe I can't really do this, why is this happening now and not before, is Dr. Bailie judging me for leaving, should I change my major now. I suppose the anxiety here didn't help my situation at all.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, just want to know if this happens to anyone else and if it's overcome-able. Hopefully I don't keep having this experience... I'm going in tomorrow morning for more observations so wish me luck.

Members don't see this ad.

That has happened to me many times before in my job as a veterinary assistant. It usually happens when I am really tired and haven't eaten enough. I had the same thoughts as you at first about not being able to do surgery and things like that. However, it also happened to me while I was helping in a completely non gross appointment. Make sure you eat a good breakfast and drink enough water before going there. Even if it does have to do with the surgery, it will get easier the more you see.

On about the 8th surgery I observed, which was yesterday, I got really nauseous, light headed, hot, and weak. You know, all the precursors of fainting/passing out. It was a spay and tumor removal of a formerly heartworm positive mini doxie, so not any more gory than anything I had already observed. Is this normal?
Yes it is!

I left the room once and went to the restroom and put some water on my face, felt better, went back, and pretty soon felt ill again, left, took off my long sleeves to cool down a bit, went back and was able to watch the rest of the procedure.

Good way to handle it.

It was an 8am and I hadn't had anything to eat, could this be a contributing factor?

Very possible.

Of course while I was out of the room all the horrid thoughts started racing: maybe this isn't the career for me, maybe I can't really do this, why is this happening now and not before, is Dr. Bailie judging me for leaving, should I change my major now. I suppose the anxiety here didn't help my situation at all.

I doubt you were being judged at all - most vets have had it happen at one point or another. Before I went in to watch my first surgery, one of the vets came up and gave me the following advice: If you feel lightheaded, lean away from the table.

The main question is - was it just a physical reaction? Or were you emotionally unable to handle it? Sounds like the former, which means you should be in pretty good shape.

It sounds like you handled it fine, and now you know to make sure there's something in your stomach! Everything seems worse on an empty stomach.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't even worry, this is a really, really common thing to happen. It happened to me the first time I watched a spay. There's been a few threads about this before, and I remember a lot of people saying it happens when they go in with an empty stomach. Anyways, you'll get over it, don't go changing your major.

I had the same thoughts as you at first about not being able to do surgery and things like that.

My my we are a high strung bunch, aren't we? Hahaha glad to hear I'm not the only one that I don't necessarily need to rethink my career path just yet :D

That has happened to me before. but never with an intubated patient.

It usually happens to me when we are doing a minor procedure (biopsy or drain placement) and are using a gas mask. I can only assume some of the iso is escaping, as i am usually assisting the doctor and doing the anesthesia monitoring.

I can only assume some of the iso is escaping, as i am usually assisting the doctor and doing the anesthesia monitoring.

You know, I had that thought. I wasn't monitoring the anesthesia, but before we started the surgery and were just putting her out, when they went to turn it on the iso was leaking. They got it shut off pretty quick. Then since I was there, I was restraining the dog the Dr. prepped the surgery table and the assistant monitored the anesthesia level and turned it up when the Dr. said to. So it certainly crossed my mind that perhaps I, too, was slightly anesthetized hahaha.

It has never happened to me before, but I remember the good words from a diving instructor of mine on our last excursion. It is actually better to have a full stomach than an empty one. I know this worked for sea sickness (even though it sounds weird). It probably had the same effect on you. So no worries, just get plenty to eat and drink before you watch surgeries.

Same here, I get dizzy in the mornings if I've been standing on my feet for a while before I've had anything to eat, especially if I haven't had enough sleep. It's happened to me during surgery, during labs at school etc. nothing to be too concerned about!

That happened to me my first surgery. However, I was warned by the vet that I was shadowing that it was an extraordinarily gross procedure so it was probably my fault for wanting to watch. I was shadowing an equine surgeon in a hospital and the mare's foal had died inside her and she couldn't give birth to it so they were cutting it up into pieces inside of her and taking the foal out of her piece by piece. I'd never watched any sort of surgery before... but at least that made all the following procedures seem really tame! And the experience overall made me really want to become an equine surgeon. :)

This is completely normal. This never happened to me in surgery, but one time I was helping dehorn cattle (without antyhing to eat that day too) and I went THWOMPPP!! . . right on the barn floor . . I was very embarressed but the vet I was working for said that it had happened to her too when she was first starting so your vets shouldn't be judging you.

Hi! Not uncommon.... This happened to one of our interns at the ER/Specialty practice I use to work for. She was standing right next to me as we were placing a catheter on a dog and from the corner of my eye saw her slowly fall to the floor. I sorta freaked out and was like "Give her some oxygen stat!" But I didn't know if she had any medical conditions and was afraid I'd have to start CPR! Plus I've never seen anyone faint before! :) But she woke up and was fine. She said it was a vasovagal response (see below from Wiki) Common triggers: stress (who isn't!), hunger, blood donation, watching/experiencing medical procedures, sight of blood...just to name a few.

A vasovagal episode or vasovagal response is a malaise mediated by the vagus nerve. When it leads to fainting, it is called vasovagal syncope, and is the most common type of fainting.
There are a number of different syncope syndromes which all fall under the umbrella of vasovagal syncope. The common element among these conditions is the central mechanism leading to loss of consciousness. The differences among them are in the factors that trigger this mechanism.

But I def agree w/ other posts: eat eat eat, esp breakfast..its the most important meal of the day ;)

This morning I got up early enough to eat breakfast before I went in. Watched two spays - cat and a dog - without any incident. Glad to know it happens to other people!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had that happen when watching a cat spay once. I had seen surgeries before just fine, but this was my first spay and the cat was in heat. The doc had to use a piece of cotton to soak up a bit of blood and for some reason i got really focused on that and felt like i was about to swoon. I remember equating it to feeling like i was underwater. I walked out of the room and sat down for a minute. Heh I had those "omg what's wrong with me if i can't handle this stuff" thoughts too. Then i began to feel better and the doc noticed i was gone and asked me if i couldn't handle watching or something like that. And I couldn't let that happen to i put my proverbial big girl pants on and went right back. And I was just fine after that. He did another cat spay right after and explained what he was doing step by step.

I, too, am glad that it happens to lots of people :p

I agree with all the above advice. Probably just a bad day or an empty stomach. Plus, getting nervous, nauseated, and/or any emotions during certain times in a vet clinic is normal.

I'm not just talking about surgery, but often when people see animals euthanized they often feel faint, dizzy, and of course sad. I even know a veternarian that the first few times she had to put down animals she would cry all that night. Not to make it cound like all vets are dead inside, but the more your see/experience the eaiser it will be.

That is not uncommon. It did happen to me one time....a bird sx that was going on for 2 hours/no eating/no air/iso made a nice combo. And from talking to other co workers it does happen. I couldn't figure out what was going on when it happen to me because I don't throw up/faint for anything. But later put it all together. I never eat breakfast, the air wasn't on and we were in a closed room, it was taking forever and the iso can kinda do that to you. I felt like such a dork when it happen but soon learned it happens to everyone atleast once so I didn't feel so bad

Wait until you see (smell) a bowl obstruction where the intestines have started to necrotize!! If had not grown up on a farm and often been exposed to foul smells, I probably would've lost my breakfast!! Cool surgery, though!

Hmm, I've never had the problem of feeling faint during surgery. I love surgeries and have even had the opportunity to scrub in for a couple gastropexies... get my hands right in the abdomen... I love it!

I had this happen to me this past semester during one of our surgery labs. Luckily it was not my surgery day and I was just the assistant surgeon so they pulled up a stool for me and I was okay once I sat down for a few minutes. For me I know it was nothing about what I was seeing because I had already done my own first surgery a couple weeks before. In the past when I've had this feeling it was because I had not eaten, I knew that was not the case this time because I had made a point to eat breakfast and lunch that day. I think for me it was because I was so overtired and stressed out from the rest of our classes and exams.
I wouldn't worry about the dr. thinking any less of you for doing it... they've probably had the same situation.

I have not had that experience but I also started observing surgeries with a country vet at age 8 (my mother was his surgical tech...back before 'tech' was a legal term) but her advice, when I started observing again recently was 'eat breakfast with protein, drink at least 16 oz of water in the morning, take a snack with you for the mid-morning (eat outside of surgery, obviously), and be sure to take a couple of deep, slow breaths before you start.'

I laughed at her, because I had just finished a job with NOAA, where I routinely necropsied dead marine mammals and sear birds, and took tissue samples (occicles, vertebrae, spines) from fish, including slaughtering the fish. Nothing smells as bad as a bloated whale bobbing on the surface! And I haven't seen a surgery yet that can make a necropsy on one of those look fun.

Wise move to step out...actually fainting may have set you up for endless teasing....or worse, injured yourself. I carry PB packs in my purse and give them to the newbies shadowing at our clinic. Also, if your restraining and such, pay attention to how you breath....I see a lot of our newbies breath fast and shallow, which can set you up for dizzy spells and nausea.

Thanks for all the advice! Like I said, the surgeries this morning were just fine, so I'm thinking it was an isolated event with the warm room/no airflow/iso but now I know what to watch for :) Eating and not wearing warm clothes did seam to help today.

Forgot to mention when I came back in the second time the Dr. asked if I was alright and I said yes, just a little warm. She laughed and told me to by all means sit if I need to sit because she certainly won't be able to pick me up when I fall as she's busy with other things. It was pretty harmless.

I don't think it was because of the surgery I think it's because a lack of food. I've had it happen to me (not during surgery though) because I have to be at the Animal Hospital at 7 am and usually we may not get a break and I finish around 6 so I've been trying to bring foods I can munch on quick like a banana.

Just make sure your blood sugar doesn't go down too low. Even if you do get a bit sick during a surgery I think it's common. I mean think back to previous labs were you had to do dissections. The smell of formaldehyde (yes we all love it) hits you the first day and it's overwhelming and by the middle of the semester I was cutting up a pig and than leaving, washing my hands, and eating without a problem. It's just a matter of getting use to it. My own "cross to bear" is usually bad smells. I don't feel like fainting I just feel like throwing up sometimes (like during enemas) but I usually force myself to take a big girl pill and it's gotten better. It only becomes an issue in my opinion if like the sight of a needle makes you pass out. Than I think you should be reconsidering your job ....

On a side note I've had lots of highschool girls telling me they want to become a Vet and than looking away when the Vet does an injection. That always tickles me a little bit ...

We're getting ready to do our first surgeries soon, and our instructors were explaining how things were gonna go. They made a BIG point of saying we likely will feel faint at some point, and what we should do. They also commented that they will be circling through the room answering questions about the surgery and, just as importantly, looking for people who they think are going to faint.

And then they sprung into a story-telling session of the numerous times they've realized the student was going to faint when the student didn't, and the crazy ways they've managed to catch them before they hit the floor. :)

I just wanted to say what a relief reading this thread has been to me to. I watched my first spay today and almost blacked out. (Luckily, I was able to leave in order to drink water, put my head down etc.)

I was feeling very discouraged (even though every one was nice and the vet even told me stories of her vet friends who had fainted in vet school), but this post really helped cheer me up. It helps to know I am not alone. (I was thinking things like "ahhh maybe I won't be able to be a vet if I am this woozy for a simple spay!)

Other than having a full stomach and enough sleep, are there any other recommendations for preventing these feelings? I was a little dizzy, felt short of breath, was sweating, and then there was this blackness that was coming... ahhh.

Thanks again for everyone who already shared their experiences in this post. You have cheered me up!

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but a couple things that help me is to wear layers and bring a granola bar to snack on in between meals.

I also find if I ask questions and get invloved in some way it helps a lot. Fortunately, I have seen enough surgeries this summer that I don't really have issues anymore-so I think time and experience are some things that will help the most. Good luck :)

Other than having a full stomach and enough sleep, are there any other recommendations for preventing these feelings? I was a little dizzy, felt short of breath, was sweating, and then there was this blackness that was coming... ahhh.
Oh, and if you can find a chair to sit on or a wall to lean against while you watch surgeries that's good too. I found that helpful in the beginning when I first started watching surgeries.

Wait until you see (smell) a bowl obstruction where the intestines have started to necrotize!! If had not grown up on a farm and often been exposed to foul smells, I probably would've lost my breakfast!! Cool surgery, though!

I can back this statement up. I grew up in between several farms and have smelled some rank stuff. This however was pretty rough. Don't remember the last thing that was that strong.

When I first started working at a vet hospital in highschool, I saw a few small surgeries here and there, tumorectomies, hysterectomies and stuff like that. The techs that I worked with and the doctor were really nice there and wanted me to see everything. So a gastric torsion came in, which is the most awesome surgery ever. And they were letting me assist on it, and I was fine for the first part. It was my first big surgery and it was a pretty big golden retreiver, and the started taking the intestines out and kinda bobbing them up and down in his hands and then I started to see black spots and feel sick, so I had to leave. I missed the rest of the surery! I was soo pissed because it is pretty rare to get to see them, I think he had done one other in his life, and I wanted to see it sooooo badly. Ever since then I have been fine during any surgery, but since we usually do surgery around lunch time, whenever we start surgeries, I start to get hungry and then I just think I am a crazy person who wants to eat a dog.....so it is probably a sane idea to eat b4 surgeries....especially when you miss out on lunch to watch!

Make sure you are not locking any joints. Bend your knees, rotate your neck, shift positions regularly and for godness sakes don't hold your hands together, let them dangle loosly and make sure you wiggle your fingers once in a while. Oh and try not to get close enough that the small of blood/whatever overwhelms you.:thumbup:

I've watched surgeries at small animal hospitals and felt fine, but I've also watched surgeries at a vet school and it is way worse!! It is a much more sterile environment so they make everyone robe up and wear masks so you get super duper hot. It also seems like there are a lot more lights in the rooms too. The rooms are really crowded with vet students trying to watch, and the environment is not as laid make as at a SA practice so you are focused really intently and can't really talk. I sure hope that when I go to vet school I don't pass out trying to assist in a surgery!!

I have never felt faint during a surgery, but there have been a couple times when I was assisting with cleaning a really bad wound that I have felt faint. The combination of the vet scraping dead tissue out of the wound, having not eaten, and having the hot light overhead is not a good combination. I would just find someone else to help and go sit down and drink some water and then I would be fine to go back and help after a few minutes. So I believe it happens to lots of people at some point and time. I just really hope that it doesn't happen when I am in vet school...that would be really embarassing. :oops:

Surgeries have been fine for me, never an issue. I haven't seen anything REALLY gross, though - no stinky pyo or crazy gastric torsion, and certainly no large animal surgeries. I did, however, feel faint in the necropsy room at least twice. Mostly, this is just because it .stinks.so.bad. in there. I'm not looking to spending more time in there, but at least I know what to expect at this point. and I know not to look in the freezer unless someone makes me! :lame: :barf:

I thought that I wouldn't have a problem watching surgeries, as I've seen some pretty icky things, but I was surprised when I was watching my first surgery and it got really hot and I was light-headed. The assistants and vet at the office said this was somewhat normal and is a combination of the sights and smells (even the anesthetic was a new smell to me). I walked out of the room, got some air, sat down, and one of the girls gave me a granola bar, and I went back in... still felt it a little. I think I felt it the next several surgeries, but now I'm fine, even on an empty stomach. My advice is make sure you have something to eat, right before you go into surgery, a granola bar, piece of bread, whatever, but something! Just keep going into the surgeries and if you are able to move around a little, do that, but I think you will get over it. Just my two cents.

I'll tell you a secret...When ever you start to feel that lightheaded or dizzy feeling. *Wiggle your toes.*

I know it sounds a little crazy but it works. It distracts your mind from what you are seeing and those feelings of uneasiness should pass.

Of course if the feeling continues or becomes overwhelming, leave the room and/or sit down.

Make sure you are not locking any joints. Bend your knees, rotate your neck, shift positions regularly and for godness sakes don't hold your hands together, let them dangle loosly and make sure you wiggle your fingers once in a while.

That was my problem when I first assisted with a surgery. I've never felt faint watching, but the first time I helped I did. It was because I was standing so still and with such stress on myself to be a perfect assistant that I made myself sick. So other than eating, not being hot, and getting a good night sleep, moving and shifting while standing there is excellent advice.

I just wanted to say what a relief reading this thread has been to me to. I watched my first spay today and almost blacked out. (Luckily, I was able to leave in order to drink water, put my head down etc.)

I was feeling very discouraged (even though every one was nice and the vet even told me stories of her vet friends who had fainted in vet school), but this post really helped cheer me up. It helps to know I am not alone. (I was thinking things like "ahhh maybe I won't be able to be a vet if I am this woozy for a simple spay!)

Thanks again for everyone who already shared their experiences in this post. You have cheered me up!

Just wondering if any of the advice shared helped at all, best of luck! :)

Thanks for checking up on me. I have yet to see if the advice helps me; I'm off on vacation! :D I can't wait to give all the advice a try though. I'll let everyone know.

I gotta admit, I'm really worried about this too. A couple years ago I was spending the day with a vet, and She was removing some cysts and I threw up in the bathroom.
I think I developed somewhat of a mental block about this since then, and now I'm afraid it will happen again. I just applied to be a veterinary assistant at a small local clinic, have my interview on Monday.
I hope they're understanding about this!:eek:

So, I've watched a few surgeries now, most at the small animal vet (mostly spays & neuters, one spay of a pregnant cat, and a few declaws and a tail docking, etc). And I've seen some bleeding (pretty profusely) and smelled some not-so-nice smells at the equine vet. All without incidence.

Then, about a week ago, the vet at the equine hospital was stitching up a horse with a pretty badly cut leg and it was bleeding (though I don't think as much as a few days prior when he was doing the same without any problems) and I got really, really hot and sweating a lot and light headed. (We were inside, though it was humid, and the temp outside was in the high 80s, possibly even in the 90s). I had eaten a good breakfast and was drinking water throughout the morning, etc, though prior to this we had been working on another horse and I had been helping hold it which is strenuous. Of course, I was able to excuse myself and come back but was still embarrassed, even though I'm sure it had nothing to do with the bleeding or the stitching going on. Thought it was freak occurrence because of the heat/humidity and because I had added pressure since I was the one holding the horse (horse was sedated, but not completely anesthetized). (I couldn't take any layers off either; Already wearing the least amount of cool clothes I could).

So, this Saturday, it happened again! I was again at the equine vet, remembered all the tips I've read on this thread and elsewhere here. I ate well, drank water, took deep breaths, etc. and I still overheated, felt faint, etc. I even tried the shifting around (though I couldn’t move to much since I was holding the leg the vet was working on, and wiggling the toes tip, to no avail. It was a smaller room this time, and again hot, barely any air movement, and I had helped move the horse onto the table for surgery (same horse by the way), and was holding the leg during the surgery (removing some granulation tissue and stitching it some). The horse was fully anesthetized, but this was through injections and an IV. And no one else seemed affected by the heat or anything (no one was even sweating a little, except the horse, she was a little sweaty). I don’t know if it’s the stress of trying to be a perfect assistant or what, but it’s really frustrating! I tried moving and everything else suggested, but nothing helped. Any other suggestions? Will it just get better over time?

Surgeries have been fine for me, never an issue. I haven't seen anything REALLY gross, though - no stinky pyo or crazy gastric torsion, and certainly no large animal surgeries. I did, however, feel faint in the necropsy room at least twice. Mostly, this is just because it .stinks.so.bad. in there. I'm not looking to spending more time in there, but at least I know what to expect at this point. and I know not to look in the freezer unless someone makes me! :lame: :barf:
AHH! a pyo. probably the grossest thing I've seen, but aside from the horrid smell, I got through it OK. I saw a horse get castrated and that made me a bit nauseous. The other time that I felt faint was when I got literally drenched while a vet was expressing an AG. It was the worst thing that has ever happened to this point :laugh:. I went outside and threw up...everyone thought that it was hilarious except me. I learned a valuable lesson though I suppose.
Side note: I almost fainted a few years ago when i was considering dentistry and i observed a periodontist, but I think that's because humans gross me out 1000X more than animals.

but I think that's because humans gross me out 1000X more than animals.

i completely agree!!! i have observed many surgeries and gross things in vet med (especially working at an emergency clinic) but my stomach knots up when i see the simplest human procedures ON TV!

Just wanted to say that I observed some more surgery and I was better! Having a full stomach and being cool enough definitely helped! Thanks again everyone!

This has totally happened to me, but I think it was because I had an empty stomach. The first time I almost blacked out (I could see flashing black spots coming into the edges of my field of vision). I got nauseated, light-headed, and my vision got blurry. It was right after I gave my very first anesthesia injection, so I think it was the stress combined with the empty stomach that did me in. I leaned back in a chair and ate something sweet and I felt much better.

Now every once in a while I will feel a bit light-headed if I haven't had enough to eat and am watching a surgery or something, but I know not to let myself get too hungry!

So you're definitely not alone, and it's normal.

I know this thread has been snoozing for a few days but I wanted to add a few tips and commiserate! My mother, sister and I all have fainting issues. We are all petite and seem to have some sort of hard-wiring issue (lucky us!). We also have anxiety problems which only makes matters worse!

Here are a few things that help:

1. I know it's been mentioned a million times already, but I have to reiterate the fact that having a full stomach is KEY! Always, always, always have snacks like granola bars and fruit on hand.

2. Make sure that you are very well-hydrated by drinking lots of water. Orange or apple juice is also a good choice if you need some sugar and fluids at the same time.

3. Bring candies with you and pop them in your mouth every so often to give your blood sugar a boost. I like to bring hard candies such as Cream Savers - mmm :)

4. Indulge in some salty food like pretzels. If you think back to the renal system, the salt causes you to retain water rather than excrete it. This helps keep your blood volume nice and high so more is available for your brain to help combat the wooziness.

5. Stay cool by wearing lightweight layers.

6. Be careful and excuse yourself if necessary! I once fainted from a standing position and slammed my face on a concrete floor (in case you're wondering, I was not in a veterinary setting, thank God!). I broke my jaw in two places and had my mouth wired shut for two months. HORRIBLE. Trust me, screw what people think and just SIT DOWN for a minute and regroup - it is soo much better than eating meals through a straw! :laugh:

3. Bring candies with you and pop them in your mouth every so often to give your blood sugar a boost. I like to bring hard candies such as Cream Savers - mmm :)

You can't eat during surgery. No food allowed.

We've all seen Seinfeld and know what can happen if you eat candy during surgery. ;)

You can't eat during surgery. No food allowed.

We've all seen Seinfeld and know what can happen if you eat candy during surgery. ;)

True - sorry, I was unclear. I was giving general tips, not just things to help during surgery (you wouldn't be downing a bottle of OJ or bag of pretzels in surgery, either!):)

LOL! Not a Junior Mint! Isn't that what it was, a Junior Mint?

Equitate - your jaw broke in two places? Ouch. Yeah, definitely sit (or even lay down on the floor!) if you feel faint... the closer your head is to the ground, the better.

...ouch. *rubs her face*

I carried hard candies too! Usually Gobstoppers for whatever reason and had a box up on a ledge somewhere along with my water (not in the surgery suite, but out in the general treatment area).

That little bit of sugar certainly helped me!

For the first few surgeries I watched I was fine and then suddenly this started happening to me as well. I started thinking the same stuff about this being the right career path, etc. I told one of the vets I was shadowing with because I was assisting in the surgery and he said it's pretty normal and that I would get used to it after a few surgeries. I also was on a pretty empty stomach/four mile run in the hot sun.

Well, I've seen numerous surgeries now and the feeling finally did go away. I think a lot of it had to do with the smell, too. Your stomach and brain both have to get used to taking that in, I guess. I actually do better now on a pretty empty stomach, which is weird to think about. Different stuff for different people, I guess, but my advice is just keep watching as many surgeries as you can and soon enough they won't even phase you.

Good luck :)

All this talk about full stomachs makes me think of getting a number one at the local Mexican restaurant - two enchiladas, a taco, beans and rice... maybe not THAT full, huh? I think that would make things worse. :) Just not completely empty.