Dental Schools losing accreditation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shireiqiang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone knows of schools which are under review or may lose their accreditation please post the information here. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Why do some schools like Nova and USC have to report requirements and a majority of the others do not have to report?

Members don't see this ad :)
The following was found by clicking on the status link found on the accreditation page listed above:

Programs Which Are Fully Operational
Approval (without reporting requirements): An accreditation classification granted to an educational program indicating that the program achieves or exceeds the basic requirements for accreditation.

Approval (with reporting requirements): An accreditation classification granted to an educational program indicating that specific deficiencies or weaknesses exist in one or more areas of the program. Evidence of compliance with the cited standards must be demonstrated within 18 months if the program is between one and two years in length or two years if the program is at least two years in length. If the deficiencies are not corrected within the specified time period, accreditation will be withdrawn, unless the Commission extends the period for achieving compliance for good cause.

The following was found by clicking on the status link found on the accreditation page listed above:

Programs Which Are Fully Operational
Approval (without reporting requirements): An accreditation classification granted to an educational program indicating that the program achieves or exceeds the basic requirements for accreditation.

Approval (with reporting requirements): An accreditation classification granted to an educational program indicating that specific deficiencies or weaknesses exist in one or more areas of the program. Evidence of compliance with the cited standards must be demonstrated within 18 months if the program is between one and two years in length or two years if the program is at least two years in length. If the deficiencies are not corrected within the specified time period, accreditation will be withdrawn, unless the Commission extends the period for achieving compliance for good cause.
Interesting information here... thanks DMDreaming

Schools that are accredited and needs to report due to some weakness (if those weakness are not corrected within 2 years, ADA may withdraw accredition):
USC, Nova, UF, Tufts.

Kind of scary!

Schools that are accredited and needs to report due to some weakness (if those weakness are not corrected within 2 years, ADA may withdraw accredition):
USC, Nova, UF, Tufts.

Kind of scary!

UF? :eek: o no :scared:

Wait a minute. I think Tufts addressed this classification during my interview. If I recall correctly, EVERY dental school gets reviewed every 6 years or something like that. It's just these schools' turn this year.

Wait a minute. I think Tufts addressed this classification during my interview. If I recall correctly, EVERY dental school gets reviewed every 6 years or something like that. It's just these schools' turn this year.

Yeap, just like UConn went through the review this year and scored 100% on it.

Yea, so I think we can hold off on "the sky is falling" stuff. Except for maybe USC :p

Wrong, every school gets reviewed but only the ones with weakness are required to report to ADA.

Members don't see this ad :)

Gunners is a sometimes affectionate, sometimes derisive term used by dental students for other dental students who are trying to specialize. UCONN scoring 100% is a gunner-like characteristic.

Pacific got the same thing...no recommendations for improvement last year upon review for accreditation.

UF?? I heard nothing but good from everyone who has ever attended there. What could be the problem?

Tufts is losing accredidation due to poor infection control and may have to close down in the future.

LOL where are you getting your information dude? Post a link to the site that presents this information. :rolleyes:

What's your beef against Tufts dude? LOL it seems you are posting on every thread **** about Tufts. Did you go there and get treated badly by administration? Did you work with an associate who graduated from Tufts and he didn't carry his weight? Did you go to a rival school (BU?) and thus hate Tufts? What's up with you dude lol

LOL where are you getting your information dude? Post a link to the site that presents this information. :rolleyes:

What's your beef against Tufts dude? LOL it seems you are posting on every thread **** about Tufts. Did you go there and get treated badly by administration? Did you work with an associate who graduated from Tufts and he didn't carry his weight? Did you go to a rival school (BU?) and thus hate Tufts? What's up with you dude lol

If you search for his older posts, he used to say really good things about Tufts and now he is saying bad things. I wonder what happened.

Also, from his older posts, seems like he goes there or went there.

GunnerDMD, can you please let us know why you don't like Tufts anymore?

Tufts is losing accredidation due to poor infection control and may have to close down in the future.

Really?? I wouldn't see that happening, do you have any evidence?

Tufts is not going to close down anytime soon, especially when they invested 8 figures on the vertical expansion project. If anything, the future incoming classes will increase.

Tufts is not going to close down anytime soon, especially when they invested 8 figures on the vertical expansion project. If anything, the future incoming classes will increase.

And their tuition will likely increase too. :laugh:

You should do more research GunnerDMD617 before you open your stupid mouth. Tufts just passed its accreditation test last spring for a lot of their dental programs. ALL schools must go through an accreditation test every seven years.

Dude you are cool, but your posts can be really stupid sometimes
wow that was certainly classy, glad i'm not going to Tufts with you...i hope you fail out

wow that was certainly classy, glad i'm not going to Tufts with you...i hope you fail out

There's a classy team player. I hope you don't treat your buddies at UConn like that :banana:

is USC "good" now?

because i clicked on that link and it said "Approval without Reporting Requirements"

has it changed since these people above posted or am I looking at the wrong place?

is USC "good" now?

because i clicked on that link and it said "Approval without Reporting Requirements"

has it changed since these people above posted or am I looking at the wrong place?
That's what I see, too. The only 3 schools I find having "Approval with Reporting Requirements" are Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Tufts.

USC, Nova, UF, Tufts.

Kind of scary!
AZDOH soon to be added im sure of it!!

Why ASDOH?
I know some very influential people who are high up in the dental administration.......they have told me to avoid AZDOH like the plague......ASDOH is having MUCH difficulty with students being able to pass their boards.......they are having to fly in professors from other universities to help prepare the students......
Not sure if that is working either......

I know some very influential people who are high up in the dental administration.......they have told me to avoid AZDOH like the plague......ASDOH is having MUCH difficulty with students being able to pass their boards.......they are having to fly in professors from other universities to help prepare the students......
Not sure if that is working either......

BTW, I think this is true. Our dental anatomy professor has mentioned going out to Arizona to teach some students out there.

BTW, I think this is true. Our dental anatomy professor has mentioned going out to Arizona to teach some students out there.

Good old rumor mongering. This strategy (flying in professors from other dental schools to teach for brief "blocks") has been a part of ASDOH's curriculum since very early on.

Good old rumor mongering. This strategy (flying in professors from other dental schools to teach for brief "blocks") has been a part of ASDOH's curriculum since very early on.
Not rumor mongering friend.....flying in professors for blocks is not what im talking about.....and i wasnt commenting on the med school there....
This is a dental forum btw.....this information is far above any of our heads....its an ADA administrative issue....just presenting the facts as I have been told...i just happen to know some people in high places

Not rumor mongering friend.....flying in professors for blocks is not what im talking about.....and i wasnt commenting on the med school there....
This is a dental forum btw.....this information is far above any of our heads....its an ADA administrative issue....just presenting the facts as I have been told...i just happen to know some people in high places

I'm interviewing there VERY soon. is it bad to ask about board pass rates and any problems the school might be having?

I'm interviewing there VERY soon. is it bad to ask about board pass rates and any problems the school might be having?
I think that its a fair question for any dental school.....be careful how u phrase the "problems they may be facing part"....asking about board scores is completely valid

could i say something like.... "What are a few things that the school is trying to improve??"

This is a dental forum btw.....

pinhi ... before making a comment to someone where you are stating the obvious, you might want to read previous posts of the people you are talking to. You told armorshell this is a dental forum. Well, if you spent a few seconds learning who he was, you'd know he is a medical student who just happens to be a dentist who graduated from dental school this year and is in OMFS program now.

pinhi ... before making a comment to someone where you are stating the obvious, you might want to read previous posts of the people you are talking to. You told armorshell this is a dental forum. Well, if you spent a few seconds learning who he was, you'd know he is a medical student who just happens to be a dentist who graduated from dental school this year and is in OMFS program now.
Thats fine NAVY....i have to be honest with u tho....checking people's older posts is a gross waste of time and really is unneccessary....people put info on these threads and other people respond......it is not common practice to do background checks in order to respond to a thread.....
That being said......armorshell has misrepresented himself by failing to label himself as a dentist/med student.....that's an issue.
NAVY....no hard feelings to you.....but telling people what they SHOULD or WOULD or COULD do is rude and rephrasing your statements in the future is a good practice. (you have come dangerously close to "trollism" with your response here)
I have done nothing but provide the facts which have been presented to me, and those facts are actually one's that directly pertain to this thread....i havnt misrepresented any information nor am i guilty of rumor mongering.......
Its probably a good idea to remind people not to attack others (ie. armorshell) for making posts b4 you come after them for providing information to others (which is the purpose of this forum).
Have a great day!! :)