What's up with Scutwork?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RisingSun

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Scutwork.com has not been updated for such a long time? Is it offline?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone?

Sorry if I am just missing something here, like Scutwork.com not being updated due to confidentiality issues or because people are waiting for rank lists to be finalized before adding comments.

I think it's a great resource and would hate to see it go away or fall out of use.

There are no confidentiality issues. We simply don't know.

We have tried, on multiple times, unsuccessfully, to contact the owners/operators of Scutwork to encourage them to update their site. To date, I am unaware of any responses from them which have resulted in any change.

I'd like to encourage people to use the SDN Interview site. It is sparse to be sure, but if more people posted, it could become a valuable tool: http://more.studentdoctor.net/residency.php

Perhaps SDN should add the option for applicants to give feedback about fellowship interviews.

Thanks guys.

I hope that Scutwork is updated or that SDN begins to host something similar. It's really an invaluable resource for sifting through programs and finding those that are diamonds in the rough.

I visited scutwork.com for the first time a few weeks ago, and it appeared to be up and running, although most of the reviews were at least a few years old. Plus, it seemed as though there weren't very many reviews posted (maybe an average of 1-2 per program).

However, the site now appears to be up for a domain renewal. It would be nice if the site's owner renewed the domain, but I'm guessing that whoever created it probably has no interest in keeping it online these days.

Anyone know more about this?

I visited scutwork.com for the first time a few weeks ago, and it appeared to be up and running, although most of the reviews were at least a few years old. Plus, it seemed as though there weren't very many reviews posted (maybe an average of 1-2 per program).

However, the site now appears to be up for a domain renewal. It would be nice if the site's owner renewed the domain, but I'm guessing that whoever created it probably has no interest in keeping it online these days.

Anyone know more about this?

They were the first partner site with SDN. We have been unable to get in touch with them in response to keeping their site updated and as you noted, the site has been down for several weeks, AFAIK.

Its a shame because they used to be such a valuable resource.

What's especially too bad are that all the old reviews at scutwork are I guess lost. It, too, wasn't utilized as much as it could be, but there were some good/interesting/informative reviews.

Maybe SDN should try to take over the site. Or at least start a residency review (not interview) section. And make the reviews be actual text instead of letting people submit a review by just clicking on random numbers (where SDN reviews get unhelpful).

Oh, it figures they would take the site down when my residency review was posted just a few months ago. :p
It's easy to imagine that whoever started the site probably has moved on to other things (I'd imagine they're an attending by now and have stopped caring about residencies). It would be nice if SDN could put up a similar site.

I have been having the same problem. I wanted to check out one of my programs again on SW.

We can see the archived version on the following website, pick the most recent date they have which is in October 2009.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

I have been having the same problem. I wanted to check out one of my programs again on SW.

We can see the archived version on the following website, pick the most recent date they have which is in October 2009.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Hey, that's great! Although it would be nice to get the most current reviews, at least there's a way to access some of the older ones. Thanks for the link!

I agree with the suggestions of others, that SDN should host a similar site. Or maybe dedicate some new forums for this purpose.

Last edited:
Hey, that's great! Although it would be nice to get the most current reviews, at least there's a way to access some of the older ones. Thanks for the link!

I agree with the suggestions of others, that SDN should host a similar site. Or maybe dedicate some new forums for this purpose.

We've tried and we cannot get users to overcome their paranoia that their program will find out (even with anonymous reviews) and fire them.

hey there everyone, im officially new to this site but have been checking it out for the past year or so. id like to say thanks to everyone for all the great help. i've learned a lot from this site alone and hope to make my contribution as time goes on.

as for the topic at hand, scut is back up although the reviews are from decemeber 2010 which i suppose isnt too bad.

so people are scared to review their programs on SDN even though they can post anonymously? thaaaaaaaaat sucks, big time.

There are no confidentiality issues. We simply don't know.

We have tried, on multiple times, unsuccessfully, to contact the owners/operators of Scutwork to encourage them to update their site. To date, I am unaware of any responses from them which have resulted in any change.

I'd like to encourage people to use the SDN Interview site. It is sparse to be sure, but if more people posted, it could become a valuable tool: http://more.studentdoctor.net/residency.php
This could be a great resource but I didn't even know it existed until you posted about it on the surgery forum. Then to find it I had to Google for it. It should be more prominent, and you shouldn't have to use your SDN username (if you do; I don't remember and didn't check this time). Maybe instead of those banners at the top with topical items that I keep having to close every time I open the site, a link to the residency interview section could be posted during interview season.

Couldn't SDN just import all of the reviews and create a site that would actually be maintained and updated, using the current scutwork reviews to start? SDN has shown it's not going anywhere and would actually give the site attention. Plus there's a captive audience here full of residents to review their programs...

No chance you could have a few moderators who post reviews in lieu of other members posting them, ala the mentors forum?
What I think would be another GREAT option for residency reviews is to have a program reviews section of each specialty subforum where you can tick a box and your post becomes anonymous.

What I think would be another GREAT option for residency reviews is to have a program reviews section of each specialty subforum where you can tick a box and your post becomes anonymous.

A great idea, but I don't know how feasible it would be to set up for just one forum. Interesting idea but I wonder about the logistics.

A great idea, but I don't know how feasible it would be to set up for just one forum. Interesting idea but I wonder about the logistics.
I suggest setting it up for each specialty subforum. Within that subforum have a subforum devoted to program reviews. Each thread is a separate program. Within that thread are reviews and discussions about that program. When replying to the thread, have the option to make your post anonymous. vBulletin is pretty powerful. This should be an option. If it's not, SDN is big enough they could pay a programmer for an hour or two of time to write this option, that is if Lee doesn't already have this ability. It's feasible.

No chance you could have a few moderators who post reviews in lieu of other members posting them, ala the mentors forum?

We've also tried that. Some people are really just very paranoid and unwilling to post reviews for fear that it will somehow be connected back to them. A lot of them promise to post reviews after the interview season is over, but in the excitement of the Match, they forget.