Washington University in St Louis Post Bacc Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Has anyone heard of Wash U-St Louis Pre med program?
How is it in terms of tuition price? med school acceptance rate? any linkages? any good support when applying to med school?

any information would be appreciated.. the website it quite general and lacks detail in this respect.

Thanks alot!

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to hear more information about this program as well.

I would really like to know the same! I am looking at WashU's post-bac program in comparison to USC and Georgetown...any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I emailed the advisor at the program and this is what she said:

We have a mix of students, some career changers but also many who are trying to improve their science record. We suggest that students retake any of the core science prerequisites in which they have earned below a B grade. Most students who have a science background coming into the program then take some graduate level biology coursework to supplement. We offer some courses that are very helpful to MCAT prep, such as biochemistry and genetics. We offer assistance with the medical school application process, from individualized advising to workshops on writing your personal statement. This is a great environment for finding research opportunities as well. Classes can be taken at night or during the day, and most of our students choose the evening option. This allows them time for research, volunteering, and/or work during the day and an added benefit is that the evening class size is quite small, about 25 students. As far as admission to the post-bac program, we are more concerned about your overall GPA than the science GPA. We also look at the entire application, including self statement and letters of recommendation, before making a decision. The 3.2 GPA is a guideline, not an absolute minimum. We have had some students go on to Wash U School of Medicine from our post-bac program, but it's highly competitive. They do not give any preference to our students. If you are accepted to the post-bac program and decide to come, we'll discuss which medical schools you want to apply to and come up with a strategic list.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone currently in the Wash U post bacc program? I've been accepted and am just wandering what the classroom environment is like and if the advisors are as helpful as they seem...any information would be appreciated!

greekblood, I am currently here @ WUSTL, just started in August! What the advisor sent you in the email is all true, and they really are as helpful as they seem. I am taking a full course load, all evening courses. I have a class that has about 12 students, one with 20, one with 30, and one with 60. I don't know a SOUL here but I really haven't attempted to make any friends, as I want to stay as focused as I can on my studies :) But all the other students I have interacted with have been very nice. They also have social functions for the post-bacc students about once a month, just to allow you an opportunity to interact with students in the program (your classes won't be just fellow-post bacs, will also consist of regular undergrad/grad students). If you have any other specific questions just give me a shout! Would you be starting in January?!?!?!

Thanks cougar01! If decide to go, I would be starting next June. Thanks for the insight! I plan on not making my social life a priority as I too would like to stay focused on my studies! However, it is great to know that the people are nice. I talked to Mr. Cummings not to long ago on the phone and he was very approachable, I was surprised how well he answered my questions, which did give me a good feel of what the advisors are like. He was really nice. The class sizes you mentioned are totally random! That is really good to know. I am more of small class size person, but it really doesn't matter as long as the professors are good and approachable. How do you get around campus? Walk? Bike? All I know is that its a huge campus. I am not familiar with St. Louis at all...what are the living options like? Do you have roommates or rent on your own? How far is off campus housing from the school?

Hi everyone. I'm worried about how competitive it is to get into the WUSTL Post-Bacc program. Any insights?????

I have a BS-Finance with a 3.79 GPA from Old Dominion University and a BS-Nursing with a 3.75 GPA from Barnes-Jewish College. Neither of the schools are even close to "top notch" schools, so I'm worried about that. Also, I did poorly in pre-med/science courses during my first attempt at pre-med as a freshman Molecular/Cellular Bio major at the University of Illinois (I was way too immature and naive). I got a C in Calc and Bio... ouch... which is why I'm hoping to redeem myself in a post-bacc program and get at least an A- in each. Currently I'm a nurse in the Cardiothoracic OR at Barnes (a Magnet hospital, top 10 in the country).

Do I have a shot at all?

Hi everyone. I'm worried about how competitive it is to get into the WUSTL Post-Bacc program. Any insights?????

I have a BS-Finance with a 3.79 GPA from Old Dominion University and a BS-Nursing with a 3.75 GPA from Barnes-Jewish College. Neither of the schools are even close to "top notch" schools, so I'm worried about that. Also, I did poorly in pre-med/science courses during my first attempt at pre-med as a freshman Molecular/Cellular Bio major at the University of Illinois (I was way too immature and naive). I got a C in Calc and Bio... ouch... which is why I'm hoping to redeem myself in a post-bacc program and get at least an A- in each. Currently I'm a nurse in the Cardiothoracic OR at Barnes (a Magnet hospital, top 10 in the country).

Do I have a shot at all?

I got a random call from the program director the other day urging me to submit the app. Feels nice knowing someone is wanting me to be apart of something. lol. They are very nice, email them!

Cooper86-
I did not come from a "top-notch school" and your GPA is just slightly higher than mine...although my science GPA is almost 4.0. You have an excellent shot, definitely apply!

greekblood, I am currently here @ WUSTL, just started in August! What the advisor sent you in the email is all true, and they really are as helpful as they seem. I am taking a full course load, all evening courses. I have a class that has about 12 students, one with 20, one with 30, and one with 60. I don't know a SOUL here but I really haven't attempted to make any friends, as I want to stay as focused as I can on my studies :) But all the other students I have interacted with have been very nice. They also have social functions for the post-bacc students about once a month, just to allow you an opportunity to interact with students in the program (your classes won't be just fellow-post bacs, will also consist of regular undergrad/grad students). If you have any other specific questions just give me a shout! Would you be starting in January?!?!?!

thanks for the info! are the classes based on a curve? how fair are the classes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody applying/applied for this fall or currently in the program? My application is being reviewed this week and I'm really hoping for good news! Anybody in the program take advantage of the research opportunities available?

Anybody applying/applied for this fall or currently in the program? My application is being reviewed this week and I'm really hoping for good news! Anybody in the program take advantage of the research opportunities available?

I am applying this week!! I had a snafu with recommendations but my profs are sending things off soon and hopefully my app will be reviewed next week or shortly after july 1. I got in touch with someone at the school and they seem really interested in the total application and essays so I'm hoping for good news as well!

Good luck to you and hope to see you this fall! Were you a science major in undergrad?

Last edited:
I'm applying, but very late! I was actually a WashU undergrad student, and was recently encouraged to apply. Not sure how likely I am to get in there, as I have a 3.26 sGPA and 3.29 cGPA. But I hope to see you there!

Good luck niabrams! I was accepted into the program earlier this week so hope to see you there as well :luck:

What are people planning to take this fall? We seriously need to get more WUSTL post-bacc folks on here!

Good luck, I hope you get in! I'm very very excited about this program - I'm already getting opportunities to do work-study at the med school and it seems like shadowing and research opportunities will be readily available. I'm just taking Chem I and Bio I this semester (advisor said it was a lot of work but I'm not sure 9 credit hours is enough I'm so nerdy about studying!), but I'm hoping to add a class next semester, like calculus.

I just got accepted :D :D. Still deciding whether to do it vs. a DIY, but I'm leaning heavily towards WashU.

I'm planning to take Organic I, Bio I and hopefully Anatomy & Physiology. What are other people thinking of taking?

Great news niabrams!

I'm planning to take Physics I, Bio II during the day and a yet to be determined third course. I'm also on the search for a job! Summer's been rough haha

Where are folks staying? I'm moving up from Houston and seeking any apartment recommendations!

I'm still looking for a place. I actually moved away from WashU a few months ago for a job, then realized that the job stank and got into the WashU program.

I'm probably going to talk to Quadrangle Housing. I rented one of their apartments last year and they were really helpful in finding me a place near to campus (didn't even need a car). I'll let you know if I find someplace.

Also, where are you looking for a job? I'm trying to decide between just volunteering/shadowing at all hours vs. trying to earn money to avoid more debt.

I'm still looking for a place. I actually moved away from WashU a few months ago for a job, then realized that the job stank and got into the WashU program.

I'm probably going to talk to Quadrangle Housing. I rented one of their apartments last year and they were really helpful in finding me a place near to campus (didn't even need a car). I'll let you know if I find someplace.

Also, where are you looking for a job? I'm trying to decide between just volunteering/shadowing at all hours vs. trying to earn money to avoid more debt.
I looked into Quadrangle but was a little disappointed at how pricey they are in comparison to other available apts in the area. I think though that this is largely a function of people having already taken the good deals, after all it is July and classes start in a little more than a month. I am for sure looking for a place near campus but I would deal with farther away if I were able to get a good bike or if the place is on the metro line. A friend of mine who went to undergrad at WUSTL told me that the library is a premed's best friend so I am definitely looking to be as close to campus as possible.

Funny you mention volunteering or shadowing at all hours vs. earning money to avoid debt-- HA, my motto is to do as much as I can in doing the least. I want a job that will enable me to make good money to sustain during the school year and pay some tuition but one that will also look great on med school apps and will give me great insight for future opportunities down the road. As far as where though I am mostly counting on work-study (still waiting for a fin. aid package but Elizabeth Fogt told me that there are many, many opportunities for postbacc'ers to work in labs and in various capacities at the med school) but also looking independently into part-time jobs offered at the med school. Also I was told that emailing a professor to ask if they have room in their research lab for an assistant or a tech is standard fare for science/premed job seekers so I may start doing that as soon as I figure out how to find which faculty are actively working on research. For me at this moment finding a job is just as important as securing housing so I'll let you know what happens.

I think work study jobs at the med school are pretty easy to find for post bac students. I'm still waiting to hear about whether I got a job assisting in research in the ED at the Children's Hospital, but I have basically no experience and I have a good feeling it will work out. Elizabeth said they like having post bac students for work-study jobs. I haven't found out yet whether it will be enough hours/money for me yet, but there are also jobs at the hospitals and jobs on the WUSTL jobs website to look into if you need more money.

I don't have a lot of advise on housing. My husband and I will be at an apt. on Grand (across from The Fox) that is an artist loft - the building has all artists with art studios in the building. It's a great place, but one member of the family has to be a working artist and only one person can be a full time student.

When I lived in St. Louis a few years ago, I live in West End City Apartments - they are nice apartments, but a little pricey....biking but not necessarily walking distance to WashU. We looked into a property company called Front Door and they had a few places in the Skinker/DeBaliviere area. They seem to cater to students, so it might be worth looking into. Personally, I'm very excited to get back to St. Louis - I miss studying at Kaldi, walking through Forest Park and going to shows at the Pageant. St. Louis really can be fun, even if it is in the middle of the Midwest!

That is certainly good info. I will probably try to get a research tech job, and volunteer/shadow on the side

Out of curiosity, has Elizabeth given either of you any data on matriculation rates to medical schools?

Woohoo! Got my work-study placement at the Children's Hospital! Btw, these jobs are minimum 8 hrs/week and I was told today that they try to cap it at 15 hrs/week.

Also, I was there today for an interview and arrived early to walk around a bit...wow! I'm so so so very energized just from being there today. I can't wait to start!

Woohoo! Got my work-study placement at the Children's Hospital! Btw, these jobs are minimum 8 hrs/week and I was told today that they try to cap it at 15 hrs/week.

Also, I was there today for an interview and arrived early to walk around a bit...wow! I'm so so so very energized just from being there today. I can't wait to start!

Congrats on the job! I was just in St. Louis to secure an apartment and I'm happy to say that I'll be in the northern area of Central West End, just a couple blocks away from a shuttle route between the Danforth campus and the med campus. When in St. Louis I walked around both campuses a bit and am SO excited to start the semester. My apartment is also all utilities included for less than 600 a month, much better pricing than originally anticipated and proof that affordable living in st. louis is possible!

Congrats on the job! I was just in St. Louis to secure an apartment and I'm happy to say that I'll be in the northern area of Central West End, just a couple blocks away from a shuttle route between the Danforth campus and the med campus. When in St. Louis I walked around both campuses a bit and am SO excited to start the semester. My apartment is also all utilities included for less than 600 a month, much better pricing than originally anticipated and proof that affordable living in st. louis is possible!

Currently living in St. Louis as a teacher- great city and CWE is a great area.

Meeting with an adviser for this program on Tuesday to discuss my situation and see if this program would be a good fit, any tips on questions you would have liked to ask/ did ask?

Best,

David

I hope your meeting goes well OhioState. If anything I would ask for actual numbers of people who go to medical school after completing the certificate. Anything else will be covered I'm sure, both Elizabeth Fogt and Shawn Cummings are incredibly nice and will tell you all you want to know.

Hey everyone! Looks like I'll be deferring admission for a year. I took a consulting gig with a healthcare software company working on their ER team, so I figure I'll save up some money and get some experience (I'll be in EDs for 3 weeks a month). But keep me updated on how the postbacc is going, and hopefully I'll be joining you in a year.

Has anyone applied for 2013 entry? I have applied and will be going to meet with an advisor soon.

I just got accepted to the program today and I'm very excited! I've read a few comments above and would like to hear more about individual experience, pros, cons, ... anything.

I am considering apply to this program to re-take a lot of my pre-reqs and to take some I've never taken (it's been out 10 years since I my undergrad and also want to improve GPA). Any updated info about the Washington U postbacc program? How successful is the program for acceptance to med schools? I want to apply to DO schools only (personal preference). Is the main source of fin aid loans (I also have a master's degree in science ed and want to limit my debt!) or is there other decent aid available? I live in Madison, WI where the cost of living is insane. I'm paying a little over $900 for a 1 bedroom and that's not atypical, so I am hoping the cost of living off campus is affordable there (read an old post about $600 rent there....unheard of here!). Was going to do classes on my own in state for cheaper @ UW-Madison, but found out today that I can only get loans for 12 months being that I'm not in an actual program (none exists in WI at all). Looking at other options. Will be closer to a 1.5-2 years of pre-reqs and upper level classes unless I go full time and don't work...that is just not financially feasible for me. I'd appreciate any info if you are completing/have completed this program.

Thanks!!
B

I am considering apply to this program to re-take a lot of my pre-reqs and to take some I've never taken (it's been out 10 years since I my undergrad and also want to improve GPA). Any updated info about the Washington U postbacc program? How successful is the program for acceptance to med schools? I want to apply to DO schools only (personal preference). Is the main source of fin aid loans (I also have a master's degree in science ed and want to limit my debt!) or is there other decent aid available? I live in Madison, WI where the cost of living is insane. I'm paying a little over $900 for a 1 bedroom and that's not atypical, so I am hoping the cost of living off campus is affordable there (read an old post about $600 rent there....unheard of here!). Was going to do classes on my own in state for cheaper @ UW-Madison, but found out today that I can only get loans for 12 months being that I'm not in an actual program (none exists in WI at all). Looking at other options. Will be closer to a 1.5-2 years of pre-reqs and upper level classes unless I go full time and don't work...that is just not financially feasible for me. I'd appreciate any info if you are completing/have completed this program.

Thanks!!
B
Washu post bacc has no real perks imho. Some post baccs are nice because you get linkage in some way, but washu doesn't. In fact, there's nothing here you can't get at your state university. And, med schools will view each equally more or less.

Tldr save your money and go somewhere cheap. Washu is a huge ripoff. Yeah they get people into med school but that should be credited to the people not the institution

I just got accepted to the program today and I'm very excited! I've read a few comments above and would like to hear more about individual experience, pros, cons, ... anything.
What was your overall gpa? Any shadowing experience? I really want to go to this postbac and will probably apply next year. Did you have a science degree? How was the overall application process? Thanks and congratulations

What was your overall gpa? Any shadowing experience? I really want to go to this postbac and will probably apply next year. Did you have a science degree? How was the overall application process? Thanks and congratulations
they will accept you if you have a pulse and a transcript

I've heard negatives about the school on here but nothing posted seems to be from people who've attended this program....but it would be interesting to get those perspective as well in these forums. Personally, I think whether or not this school's post bacc is worth it depends on each individual's situation.

If there's a good 4 year university near you, you can afford to pay tuition without financial aid, have other post bacc options available near you, or don't have issues with not getting into the classes as a non-degree/certificate student then a local university is probably the best and cheapest way to go. Univ near me is a massive school and as a non-degree student, financial aid for me is very limited. I can't even get into the first semester classes I need because I register last...like 2 weeks before classes start. 4 months out and some of the sections were already full. I emailed instructors and was only told I could get into 1 of the 2 classes. I work full time 8-5, same as when they offer the classes I need. I need to work full time until I can get into med school. I'm looking to take only 2 classes a semester (which I'd have to do to get any financial aid), but I'm finding it is already a losing battle. Wash U offers their classes for post baccs in evenings, so students can work, volunteer, shadow, do research, etc during the day if needed.

If you have recently taken all the science prereqs during undergrad and taken the MCAT, then a post bacc geared to strengthening academics may be best. Often times (but not always) the academic-enhancing post baccs can take courses alongside med students to get a taste of what med school is really like, which is a HUGE plus. Per the WashU staff I talked with, post bacc students at WashU take courses with other post bacc students or evening undergrad OR they can go during the daytime and take with traditional undergrads (but daytime tuition is more expensive than evening). Being in a defined degree/certificate program, you can likely get better financial aid, too.

If you're like me where neither of the above scenarios applies, you've taken some but not all of the coursework from undergrad (so you can't apply to a career-changer post bacc program because you have too many of the required credits completed AND you can't apply to an academic-enhancing post bacc program because you don't have all the pre-reqs/MCAT) then a program similar to what WashU offers with the option to complete preqs and to take upper level courses to enhance grades may be the best bet. My undergrad coursework was taken over 10 years ago; I need to refresh and try to improve my GPA. Some people I've talked to have suggested I try to take courses at a community college because I wouldn't have as much trouble getting into full courses like at a large university (and cost), but I think most of us know what that looks like to a med school admissions committee. I'd say the major exception to that is if an applicant took the community college credits initially then transferred to a university to complete his/her degree. I've got a master's degree in another field that I also worked in; Going to a community college now would look horrible on a med school application at this point.

I guess it really is to each his/her own. I'm applying to WashU in the case that it turns out I really just can't get into the courses I need at my local university this fall. The advisor at WashU I reached out to said that approx 80% of those who go through their program are accepted into med school but of course, but you also have to figure in individual effort/stengths/weakness. Whether you agree or disagree about the usefulness of their program, right now 80% is much better than my odds will be if I can't otherwise get the prereqs I need.

Last edited:
I've heard negatives about the school on here but nothing posted seems to be from people who've attended this program..
i attended this program, and it's extremely costly for what it provides.

approx 80% of those who go through their program are accepted into med school
don't confuse correlation with causation. it's not the program that's directly responsible for that, it's the peoples' grades/MCAT/application that got them in, WashU post bac does jack to get you in to med school. If you do well in their program, you can get into med school. if you do well in any other program (like your state univ), you can get into med school. no surprises there. the post bac program here is NOTHING special.

i attended this program, and it's extremely costly for what it provides.

don't confuse correlation with causation. it's not the program that's directly responsible for that, it's the peoples' grades/MCAT/application that got them in, WashU post bac does jack to get you in to med school. If you do well in their program, you can get into med school. if you do well in any other program (like your state univ), you can get into med school. no surprises there. the post bac program here is NOTHING special.

I appreciate your feedback.

@CharmingB I am in a very similar situation as you both in terms of universities near me being...lacking to support or attract non-trad students and pre-req progress etc. I will be applying to WashU next year hopefully to focus on the remaining pre-reqs in their "blended" curriculum

This program is incredibly difficult. It's not for anyone who is casually thinking about medicine. Take Harvard and double it - that is how hard it is. It's 100% worth it though! :)

This program is incredibly difficult. It's not for anyone who is casually thinking about medicine. Take Harvard and double it - that is how hard it is. It's 100% worth it though! :)

Did you do the enhancement or career-changer post-bacc? Are the classes really difficult?

They do have a linkage to Case Western Reserve University - is this likely. It almost seems like assured admission.

Any info on this thank you!!!!

It's definitely not assured, but there is a linkage to Case Western and University of Michigan. There's more information on the website about requirements. I'm currently in WashU's post bacc if anyone has any questions.

Last edited:
It's definitely not assured, but there is a linkage to Case Western and University of Michigan. There's more information on the website about requirements. I'm currently in WashU's post bacc if anyone has any questions. I would say some classes are harder than others.

Hi lillac. I was just accepted and I'm pretty excited. Just have a few qurations if you don't mind. How many people in your class are trying to do the Case or Michigan link? I'm not sure if I'll end up attempting that but both options sound pretty great if I'm eligible. I didn't have an interview before I was accepted - I'm assuming they don't do interviews right? Do you enjoy the classes and have time to do any volunteering or research outside of them? Thanks a lot.

While the linkages to Case Western and University of Michigan seems really appealing, I've wondered why the post-bacc program has no linkage to its own school...
Still, I'm considering applying; could anyone currently in the program give further insight into what it's like?

I like the program and I think there's a lot of great opportunities for research, especially through work study. I've been doing research and volunteering while taking classes and I feel like I've had plenty of time. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Just submitted and completed my application today. Keeping fingers crossed!