Washington University in St Louis Post Bacc Premed

Started by premedw
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have also applied to this program and plan on attending in August. If things go well that is. Although I cannot answer your question from personal experience. I will do what I can from what I have gathered online. Since I will also be taking majority of the pre-reqs at the university I did some quick search on the incoming class of freshmen year at WashU. One particular subject that keeps popping is Chemistry. Many of the students are reporting mean scores in 50's in Gen Chem classes.

When I first spoke to the adviser at WashU's post bacc program they, He mentioned many students found chemistry to be exceedingly difficult at at WashU and many elect to take it at UMSL. This prompt me to do a quick search online, in the first place before I even applied. I have just not heard good things from all the forums I have gone through online. One additional thing that concerns me is, these students are incoming class at WashU are the best and brightest so if they are complaining then there must be some reason.

One of the students was mentioning how the GPA at washu is looked at different from state schools. Many of the students were recommended to go to state schools if they wanted a higher GPA. One student posted that she had been accepted to several medical schools with a 3.3. I'm not sure however if it was DO or MD, but she did say she was waitlisted for Wash U's own medical school so i'm assuming they were all MD's

This post is getting way to long but I wanted a good place to lay down all my thoughts so i can refer back to them later myself.

So based on this information I'll most likely choose evening school and since majority of them will be post baccs. I have not found much on Biology or Physics.

Let me know you all think.
Opps! Looks like you can't send a message, because you have your profile on a private setting.
 
Opps! Looks like you can't send a message, because you have your profile on a private setting.
Hi!
I graduated from Washu undergrad this spring and will be attending the postbacc this fall too. If you have any questions about the washu day time courses I can do my best to answer them 🙂
 
I have also applied to this program and plan on attending in August. If things go well that is. Although I cannot answer your question from personal experience. I will do what I can from what I have gathered online. Since I will also be taking majority of the pre-reqs at the university I did some quick search on the incoming class of freshmen year at WashU. One particular subject that keeps popping is Chemistry. Many of the students are reporting mean scores in 50's in Gen Chem classes.

When I first spoke to the adviser at WashU's post bacc program they, He mentioned many students found chemistry to be exceedingly difficult at at WashU and many elect to take it at UMSL. This prompt me to do a quick search online, in the first place before I even applied. I have just not heard good things from all the forums I have gone through online. One additional thing that concerns me is, these students are incoming class at WashU are the best and brightest so if they are complaining then there must be some reason.

One of the students was mentioning how the GPA at washu is looked at different from state schools. Many of the students were recommended to go to state schools if they wanted a higher GPA. One student posted that she had been accepted to several medical schools with a 3.3. I'm not sure however if it was DO or MD, but she did say she was waitlisted for Wash U's own medical school so i'm assuming they were all MD's

This post is getting way to long but I wanted a good place to lay down all my thoughts so i can refer back to them later myself.

So based on this information I'll most likely choose evening school and since majority of them will be post baccs. I have not found much on Biology or Physics.

Let me know you all think.

I was a washu undergrad and took all the premed reqs there. I think it really depends on your study habits. The biggest lesson I learned from undergrad at washu is to know your study/learning style and to find out what the professor's teaching/grading style is. That was what had the biggest impact on my grades for sure. I personally didn't find chemistry extremely difficult but it was challenging. I found biology much harder because my weakness is in rote memorization(chemistry on the other hand is more about understanding concepts imo). I also haven't really heard of people going to UMSL to take gen chem. Now organic chemistry on the other hand, let me say runnn awayyy from washu orgo. It does depend on which professor is teaching it but "best" orgo professor at washu is really mediocre while the rest are absolutely terrible. Many people I know go anywhere else to take it like harvard, duke, berkeley, stanford, SLU and they all have a much easier time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Opps! Looks like you can't send a message, because you have your profile on a private setting.
I was a washu undergrad and took all the premed reqs there. I think it really depends on your study habits. The biggest lesson I learned from undergrad at washu is to know your study/learning style and to find out what the professor's teaching/grading style is. That was what had the biggest impact on my grades for sure. I personally didn't find chemistry extremely difficult but it was challenging. I found biology much harder because my weakness is in rote memorization(chemistry on the other hand is more about understanding concepts imo). I also haven't really heard of people going to UMSL to take gen chem. Now organic chemistry on the other hand, let me say runnn awayyy from washu orgo. It does depend on which professor is teaching it but "best" orgo professor at washu is really mediocre while the rest are absolutely terrible. Many people I know go anywhere else to take it like harvard, duke, berkeley, stanford, SLU and they all have a much easier time.


First of Congrats!

Thanks for clearing up some stuff. I will make note of organic. However, truth be told that's 8 credits hours in total for both organic courses and if the program is 24 credits long (if you transfer in) that's like heck of a lot to take into. Especially if the program costs as much as it does.
 
First of Congrats!

Thanks for clearing up some stuff. I will make note of organic. However, truth be told that's 8 credits hours in total for both organic courses and if the program is 24 credits long (if you transfer in) that's like heck of a lot to take into. Especially if the program costs as much as it does.

I'm a little confused. Isn't orgo usually 4 credits/semester at most schools? Also what do you mean its a 24 credit program? Can't you take as many as you want and the price is just per credit rather than having an overall program tuition cost isn't it?
 
I'm a little confused. Isn't orgo usually 4 credits/semester at most schools? Also what do you mean its a 24 credit program? Can't you take as many as you want and the price is just per credit rather than having an overall program tuition cost isn't it?

Yes they are, however I said "both organic" meaning 1 and 2 therefore 8 credits for the total year.

Unfortunately the website is not allowing me to post a link so google "washu post bacc". It is the first search option. There is a pretty detailed description of the program, I won't get into that too much. In a nutshell It is a 30 credit hour certificate granting program and you can transfer 6 credit hours from another university.


However, you could also do it the way you are doing. It would be an unstructured post bacc. In this case you decide which courses to repeat or take to strengthen your application. Which way you decide to go depends on your individual circumstance.

The application deadline for this program that starts in fall was June 21st.
 
Hi y’all! I am considering applying to the program, but I was just wondering where everyone has ended up med school or career wise after completing this program. Thanks!
 
Hi y’all! I am considering applying to the program, but I was just wondering where everyone has ended up med school or career wise after completing this program. Thanks!

Hi there
I have been accepted to WashU, and seriously considering it, but just like you , I have not heard much reviews about it. Did you end up applying?