PM&R vs. Physical Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the differences between PM&R and physical therapy? Just the job descriptions.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the differences between PM&R and physical therapy? Just the job descriptions.

PM&R = Medical school...you are a medical doctor who diagnoses and treats disease. Involved in rehabilitation of individuals from a medical standpoint.

Physical therapy = (mostly) a masters level allied health field which focuses on rehabilitation by exercise and strengthening as well as modalities.

Some of the skills and modalities between the two fields are shared--like handling prosthetics and orthotics--but PT cant diagnose, treat, and prescribe, and PM&R doesnt learn the large and complex list of rehab exercises that PT has.

Suggestion: Do we have the answer to the PT vs. PM&R question in one of the Stickies?

Members don't see this ad :)
MD - diagnoses and decides on a course of treatment that may include PT.

Therapist treats using the Dx MD has given and the treatment parameters defined by the doc (for most docs, they don't - it's just "eval & treat." In PM&R, we give specific instructions). They personally apply modalities like heat, ultrasound and e-stim, help the patient to learn a stretching and strengthening program, work with the patient hands-on for 1/2 - 1 hour 2-3 times a week on average.

I just finished one of my ICU rotations. One of patients was a middleaged man with a hemorrhagic stroke that desperately needed to be in Rehab ASAP. Physical Therapy saw him initially and started an array of exercises and therapies. A couple days later the PMR consult came through and to my dismay, they recommended the exact same things that the PhysTherapist was already employing. I was pretty disappointed in this. I know we always ask the question (what is the difference between a physiatrist and physical therapist) so I was waiting to see PMR offer something different... and 3 days later!

it is possible that therapists know how to approach certain patients and the MD agrees with their plan..... just like sometimes medical students can come up with plan that the attending agrees with. Does that mean the attending does have much to offer and the medical student has an equal level of training/expertise?

in addition, you are in the ICU.... there isnt too much therapy that can or should be done in that setting. although rehab should be involved early, 3 days is way to early to f/u the natural progression of a hemorrhagic CVA and his rehab plans/prognosis. You will need to follow this pt for at least the rest of your med school career to really see how a physiatrist follows this patient