Best Cellular Phone Coverage Where Medical Schools Are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DukeBluDevl02

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post best cellular phone companies' coverage....

...to start I will say that I've heard in northern and northeastern Ohio VERIZON is pretty good. I have SPRINT and it's not that good. Anyone..........

Members don't see this ad.

ucsf: verizon is great, i've heard at&t is great, sprint sucks

I've been a Sprint customer for years and have been pleased. I suggest you find out where you are going to med school and see what is best for that area.

Members don't see this ad :)
if any of you are going to morehouse/emory, dont EVER get sprint in atlanta. the reception is absolutely horrendous.

Verizon and Cingular are the way to go here :)

I've been happy with Verizon in St. Louis.

I've been all over ohio with my old verizon and its always worked.

My new nextel has worked most everywhere in ohio ive been....except when i went to OU (athens) to visit a friend where it did not work at all...

i just bought a new cell phone through sprint. i recently visited U of MD where I will attend this fall to find housing. low and behold, my phone doesn't work in or even near the hospital or school...phaqin' great. pissin' away a year contract.

What's good in either Hershey or Philly? Right now I have Sprint in so cal and I'm very happy with it. If you have Cingular or TMobile in so cal be cautious. You get booted off your call often since there are so many people here. However, the deals are hard to beat.

Verizon and AT&T are great pretty much all over PA except for the extreme north central part of the state where NO ONE gets reception (or lives, for that matter :laugh: ).

Verizon is the best service in NYC

I've traveled around a lot and I have never had a problem with Verizon's reception. North Carolina, LA, Boston, etc etc It's all good.

You pay for that with higher priced plans but I think its worth it to avoid being stuck without reception. I've noticed that people with other plans - namely spring and cingular have a harder time using their phones in their apartments, which really sucks since most people seem to be bypassing the regular landline these days.

Anyone have a clue about reception in Nofolk, VA?

TMS,

I wouldn't worry too much about that one year contract you signed. If you look closely, you should find a clause that allows you to back out when you move to an area that isnt covered by Sprint. If you are able to cancel that contract, I'd go with AT&T, I've been using them for about 6 years and their coverage and service is great. They're the most highly rated cell phone company.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to organize this so people can keep posting:

Northeastern and Northwestern Ohio: Verizon great, Sprint ok
Southern Ohio: Verizon great
San Francisco, CA: Verizon great, ATT great, Sprint bad
Atlanta, GA: Verizon great, Cingular great, Sprint horrendous
St. Louis, MO: Verizon great, Sprint great
Baltimore, MD (UMD): Sprint horrendous
Southern, CA: Sprint great, Cingular/TMobile take caution
New York, NY: Verizon is the best
Pennsylvannia (all over): Verizon great, ATT great

Verizon is good in Boston, AT&T sucks in certain areas of Boston and their customer service is horrendous.

If you plan on coming to the University of Wisconsin, go with Verizon; don't even consider Sprint.

Madison, WI: Verizon great, Sprint not so great.

I have cingular. Haven't had any problems in SoCal, Vegas, Omaha, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, New Haven, Boston, Philly, NYC, Nashville, Cleveland, Cincinatti, Atlanta.

I'm gonna have to disagree with whoever said sprint is good in southern cal. Lots of people I know are really unhappy with the sprint service down here....

sprint works just fine down here in new orleans...from what i know from friends, cingular works well down here, also. t-mobile is kinda ehh, and i don't know about verizon.

If you plan on coming to the University of Wisconsin, go with Verizon; don't even consider Sprint.

Durham, NC: AT&T not good in hospital--find out who has the Duke U contract--it's the only one with a tower close by

At UCLA and the Westside of LA cingular sux. You can never get reception anywhere. Go with Verizon or ATT instead. Sprint is pretty good too.

Chicago: AT&T and Sprint are pretty good (I've got AT&T). If you want more reviews, check out epinions, they've got reception reviews by city.

I've got verizon in Chicago and am pretty happy with it.

Cingular is the best for the schools in the state of Florida.

This stuff is great...keep em comin!

Southern, CA: Sprint varies, Cingular varies, TMobile take caution
Florida: Cingular great
Chicago, IL: ATT/Sprint/Verizon good
New Orleans, LA: Sprint OK, Cingular great, TMobile take caution
Boston, MA: Verizon good, ATT bad
Durham, NC: AT&T not good in hospital--find out who has the Duke U contract--it's the only one with a tower close by

Anyone know about Verizon in New Orleans? I'm going there next week and really need my phone to work.

I'm in st. louis and have cingular, which I'm really happy with. I disagree that Sprint is great here, it always cuts in and out when I call my friends with Sprint, I'd downgrade it to just ok.

Adding Tucson, AZ and more Boston and San Francisco. I'll put agreement with what's already there with (number of people)

San Francisco, CA: Verizon great, ATT great (2), Sprint bad (2), Cingular varies
Boston, MA: Verizon good, ATT bad, Sprint bad
Tucson, AZ (U of A): AT&T good

I'd go AT&T. Sprint doesn't cut it here (I used to have it).
But in buildings--everything sucks.

Bien =)

adding UCSFgirl's comment + some info on Boston

San Francisco, CA: Verizon great, ATT great (2), Sprint bad (3), Cingular varies
Boston, MA: Cingular great, Verizon good, ATT bad, Sprint bad (2)

a random bump since my cell phone contract is about to run out ;)

is verizon really the best in NYC? is sprint/cingular/tmobile any good there?

Originally posted by DW
a random bump since my cell phone contract is about to run out ;)

is verizon really the best in NYC? is sprint/cingular/tmobile any good there?

actually I also need to know this...so you take a poll DW and let me know ;)

How is the reception at ucsd/san diego/la jolla for sprint?
jeff

Originally posted by dirtybob
How is the reception at ucsd/san diego/la jolla for sprint?
jeff

I know this isn't terribly useful but - 4 years ago sprint service there was appalling. I don't know about now...

San Francisco, CA: Verizon great, ATT great (2), Sprint bad (3), Cingular varies
Durham, NC: Pretty sure VERIZON is the best here, Sprint is horrible inside buildings there as well. AT&T not good in hospital--find out who has the Duke U contract (again, I think it's Verizon)--it's the only one with a tower close by

Anyone know about Cincinnati, Ohio/Northern Kentucky?

Northeastern and Northwestern Ohio: Verizon great, Sprint pretty good (updgraded)
Durham, NC: Pretty sure VERIZON is the best here, Sprint is horrible inside buildings there as well. AT&T not good in hospital--find out who has the Duke U contract (again, I think it's Verizon)--it's the only one with a tower close by

Sprint PCS has worked excellently for me @ Northwestern and all over Illinois as well as in Philly. Also it is excellent all over Florida

Cingular is also very good for the Chapel Hill/Durham, NC area. Also, for those going to UNC Med, Cingular offers a UNC discount for their plans :)

AT&T Wireless is very good in Dallas, but absolutely sucko in Houston. Go figure!!

Originally posted by gramcracker
Chicago: AT&T and Sprint are pretty good (I've got AT&T). If you want more reviews, check out epinions, they've got reception reviews by city.

I checked out epinions and it's wierd how the users' ratings for AT&T in Chicago plummeted this year. The most recent reviews all give AT&T one star.

AT&T - good
Sprint - not so good
Then there are random hilly places like Mt. Lookout and the whole West Side where it's difficult to get a signal sometimes no matter who your carrier is.

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
At UCLA and the Westside of LA cingular sux. You can never get reception anywhere. Go with Verizon or ATT instead. Sprint is pretty good too.

Yup Yup. Cingular pretty much sux in all of So Cal. ATT isnt' that great either.. I'd say Verizon is the best one out here..

bump for ucsd? anyone know if sprint is any good at sd?

Updating with info for Florida. I work in the wireless industry now, so I have some good first hand experience with all the carriers in the state.

Florida: Cingular by far the best, Verizon just behind Cingular, Sprint sucks badly, AT&T varies, T-Mobile sucks, Nextel bad, Metro PCS (Miami only) really terrible
Northeastern and Northwestern Ohio: Verizon great, Sprint pretty good (updgraded)

has anyone heard what works best at Loyola? I know that verizon works pretty well throughout Chicago but when I tried to use my verizon phone in the actual medical building itself while I was there for my interview, found that reception was horrible. My host said that he thinks that sprint might work better. Anyone have any insight?

i have sprint and used my cell when interviewing at loyola. it seemed fine on campus, but i don't remember actually using my phone while inside the med school building.

an Francisco, CA: Verizon great, ATT great (2), Sprint bad (3), Cingular varies
Florida: Cingular by far the best, Verizon just behind Cingular, Sprint sucks badly, AT&T varies, T-Mobile sucks, Nextel bad, Metro PCS (Miami only) really terrible
Durham, NC: Pretty sure VERIZON is the best here, Sprint is horrible inside buildings there as well. AT&T not good in hospital--find out who has the Duke U contract. AT&T is actually not bad (extended area coverage) Duke has its own expensive cell phone service through OIT that I would not recommend.
Houston, TX: AT&T, Sprint, Cingular, Verizon are all good.

I concur that throughout Philly AT&T service is great.

EXCEPT at the Drexel Queen Lane Campus. As you descend down the driveway from Queen Lane reception goes from full scale to one bar and remains that way throughout the building, even out back by the basketball court. Bizarre.

FWIW,

mdf

My parents live near Atlanta and the Sprint coverage is great there. All inside the big 285 loop I get at least 2 bars and usually 3 or 4 (out of 4 maximum).

I've got ATT and its pretty good, i've never really had a problem with it anywhere in CA. Its really good on campus here too. I had cingulair a couple years ago and its okay, but not as good.