Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, everyone!
Serbian MG here, interested in hem/onco. I graduated last June in top 1% of class (2nd out of 450, to be more specific... not that it matters that much, the school being in Serbia and all). In the past four years I did a few international rotations; unfortunately, none of them were in the US (one clinical - radiology in Finland, and three research ones - physiology in Portugal, immuno-genetics in Thailand and immunohistology in Germany, a month each). All I have to show for it is quite a bit of lab experience and a paper published in the no.1 journal for microscopy (and 84th in cell biology 😀), as the 3rd author, plus some presentations at international students' conferences (got the Best overall in Ankara, Turkey... yeah). I'll also be getting an MS in citology, immunohistochemistry & embriology, hopefully by the end of summer. The only clinical experience I had since graduating is the Serbian "internship" - 6 months of clinical rotations needed prior to getting a license.
I've been studying for the usmle for two whole months now, and the plan was as follows - step 1 in April, step 2 CK in May, go to the US for step 2 CS in June (maybe try again in July), do some observing from July 'till September and try to get as many LoRs as possible (with which I can wipe my *ss, I know, but it's the best I can do), apply to decent internal medicine programs ('decent' meaning ones that could get me into a hem/onco fellowship later on) and a couple of backups in pathology, interview, pray (to the FSM).
Now, I've been lurking here since my 2nd year of med school and I know that what-are-my-odds questions usually don't get answered, so this isn't one of those. I'm pretty sure it's a decent plan that could've been better had I spent a couple of months of my final year getting USCE instead of dicking around in Phuket (in retrospect, I think it was totally worth it). The thing is, today I learned that I wouldn't have to jump through regular bureaucratic hoops to get into a histology PhD program in Belgrade and would quite easily be able to finish it in a couple of years, working as a TA/LA in the meantime. It's immunohistology, most of the groundwork is already done, and I'd be doing some of the stuff in Germany, which is nice...
On one hand, PhD>MS, and it would be in a basic since pretty relevant to the field I'll be going for. On the other, I dunno if it's enough to compensate for a 3 year break from clinic. I may fit some Serbian/German clinical experience into it, but I'm pretty sure it'll be mostly mice and rats. Now, even if I did accept, I'd go for ECFMG certification this year; I'm not gonna let 2 months' worth of studying go to waste. But should I just forget about it, go for it, or maybe wait for my step 1 scores and do it if they're not that good (220+? looking at people's scores here you'd think 240 wasn't good enough).
Your thoughts on this would be really appreciated 🙂
(Oh, and 1st post. Yay!)
Serbian MG here, interested in hem/onco. I graduated last June in top 1% of class (2nd out of 450, to be more specific... not that it matters that much, the school being in Serbia and all). In the past four years I did a few international rotations; unfortunately, none of them were in the US (one clinical - radiology in Finland, and three research ones - physiology in Portugal, immuno-genetics in Thailand and immunohistology in Germany, a month each). All I have to show for it is quite a bit of lab experience and a paper published in the no.1 journal for microscopy (and 84th in cell biology 😀), as the 3rd author, plus some presentations at international students' conferences (got the Best overall in Ankara, Turkey... yeah). I'll also be getting an MS in citology, immunohistochemistry & embriology, hopefully by the end of summer. The only clinical experience I had since graduating is the Serbian "internship" - 6 months of clinical rotations needed prior to getting a license.
I've been studying for the usmle for two whole months now, and the plan was as follows - step 1 in April, step 2 CK in May, go to the US for step 2 CS in June (maybe try again in July), do some observing from July 'till September and try to get as many LoRs as possible (with which I can wipe my *ss, I know, but it's the best I can do), apply to decent internal medicine programs ('decent' meaning ones that could get me into a hem/onco fellowship later on) and a couple of backups in pathology, interview, pray (to the FSM).
Now, I've been lurking here since my 2nd year of med school and I know that what-are-my-odds questions usually don't get answered, so this isn't one of those. I'm pretty sure it's a decent plan that could've been better had I spent a couple of months of my final year getting USCE instead of dicking around in Phuket (in retrospect, I think it was totally worth it). The thing is, today I learned that I wouldn't have to jump through regular bureaucratic hoops to get into a histology PhD program in Belgrade and would quite easily be able to finish it in a couple of years, working as a TA/LA in the meantime. It's immunohistology, most of the groundwork is already done, and I'd be doing some of the stuff in Germany, which is nice...
On one hand, PhD>MS, and it would be in a basic since pretty relevant to the field I'll be going for. On the other, I dunno if it's enough to compensate for a 3 year break from clinic. I may fit some Serbian/German clinical experience into it, but I'm pretty sure it'll be mostly mice and rats. Now, even if I did accept, I'd go for ECFMG certification this year; I'm not gonna let 2 months' worth of studying go to waste. But should I just forget about it, go for it, or maybe wait for my step 1 scores and do it if they're not that good (220+? looking at people's scores here you'd think 240 wasn't good enough).
Your thoughts on this would be really appreciated 🙂
(Oh, and 1st post. Yay!)