C/O 2014: Useful info about sending DAT scores.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zubnaya Feya

Combinator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To avoid confusion and useless re-requesting the scores:

I think I got the picture with DAT scores cleared up a little bit.

Schools don't "receive" DAT scores anymore, the scores become available to schools when you request them (it takes 8-10 business days to process request if you have taken the test some time before you request them and up to 4 weeks if you request the scores right after you take the test). So, when the AADSAS app comes in, the school person goes to the ada website and checks by your name (or ssn, or whatever) whether the DAT score is available to that school. That way, there is no danger of score being thrown away. The schools can check the scores whenever they want and I think after you request the scores, they are available to schools for 2 years (not sure about that).

I hope this is right, if not, correct me.

If you have recently taken the test (within a year I would think), specified 5 free schools and also requested additional schools, don't worry. Most likely your scores will be available to schools during 2009 and 2010.

However, I would still suggest calling every school you are applying to and making sure they can access the scores to avoid screw ups.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So is this supposed to mean we have to pay again to send score reports for the 5 schools that were included in the $205 DAT registration fee? That's ridiculous...

Thank you so much, I was wondering the same thing!

Members don't see this ad :)
So is this supposed to mean we have to pay again to send score reports for the 5 schools that were included in the $205 DAT registration fee? That's ridiculous...

It is kind of... surprising. I thought because DAT scores become available electronically, the schools that were designated during registration could look them up any time and for sure access them when they receive the AADSAS.

I am still a little bit confused on this issue.

That sucks...I took my DAT August 2008. I might as well just re-send them to all the schools I'm applying to, just to be safe.

Wow, this sucks. Thanks so much though.

Screw it, I will be resending them to all the schools as well. The ones I designated were my favorites and it'd be dumbed for me to potentially have a late review of my file just because I didn't want to fork up $25, a pittance compared to how much you are going to spend on your attire and traveling =p

Another problem I ran into with DAT scores, is that if you have a space in your name, like De Santos, some schools might be looking for Desantos, without the space. NYU did this to me, and so they kept telling me they didn't have my DAT scores until I literally asked if they were spelling my name correctly.

Screw it, I will be resending them to all the schools as well. The ones I designated were my favorites and it'd be dumbed for me to potentially have a late review of my file just because I didn't want to fork up $25, a pittance compared to how much you are going to spend on your attire and traveling =p

Or you could call.

Does anyone know if they are willing to verify scores over the phone with you?

Does anyone know if they are willing to verify scores over the phone with you?

I think there shouldn't be a problem if you ask them whether they have received your scores and answer some security questions or smth... Maybe I am wrong.

thanks for the helpful info!

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be helpful if any of you guys can post knowledge info about the issue from other schools. :)

+ Western
+ ASDOH

Anymore updates guys?

Last edited:
I thought I would make this thread because I think it would be highly useful for people applying this summer, especially for those who already took or will be taking the DAT before May.

I have taken the DAT in December 2008 and specified UOP, UCSF, UCLA, Michigan and UW to receive my scores. Of course the question arose: would the schools keep the scores without having the application on file (because I would only submit the app in June 2009)? I thought ADA sends out scores in paper or something, so I wanted to know for sure. Knowing that would save me some money because I would know which schools (out of those 5 selected when registering for DAT) I don't have to request DATs for again in June. :D

I personally called today (02-23) each of the schools below and the info is what admissions staff told me over the phone.

In the process I have learned that the scores are made available by the ADA electronically and those are tracked through SSN of the test-taker. Theoretically, each school would be able to pull up DAT scores when the app comes in, but in reality that is not true (as I have found out) and some schools (for some reason) told me to re-request the scores again when I will be applying this June.

+ -> means school keeps the DAT scores that came in before they received the app and then links the DAT to the app when the app comes in.

- -> means school wants DATs be requested again from the ADA.

+ UCLA
+ UCSF
+ UOP* (the lady wasn't sure... she asked me to call the ADA for some reason, but said it is most likely ok)
- Maryland
- Harvard
+ Michigan
- Columbia
- Buffalo
+ U Penn
+ VCU
- UW
+ Marquette
+ U Conn
- UNLV

Again, I was mostly concerned about UW, UOP, UCLA, UCSF, Michigan, because those schools are the ones I selected when registering for the DAT. Other schools... I just wanted to know, maybe I could request the scores this week so I don't have to worry about it later.

I wanted to include something else but forgot what... I'll do it later =)
GL

Hmm..that's weird. I talked to Maryland last week and they told me I did not have to re-request my DAT score to be sent to them since I sent it to them last cycle and I am not re-taking it.

I called each of these schools and this is what i came up with:

-Tufts
-ASDOH
-USC
-Creighton

Thanks for starting this thread it was exactly what I needed. I spoke to the admissions dean at Creighton (Dr. Ayers) and he said the school needed my permission to look up the scores. I guess that means the ADA equates my money with my permission. Oh well I guess we have to do whatever it takes right?

I called each of these schools and this is what i came up with:

-Tufts
-ASDOH
-USC
-Creighton

Thanks for starting this thread it was exactly what I needed. I spoke to the admissions dean at Creighton (Dr. Ayers) and he said the school needed my permission to look up the scores. I guess that means the ADA equates my money with my permission. Oh well I guess we have to do whatever it takes right?

Does this mean that one would need to resend scores to those schools? I designated Tufts as one of the schools to which scores were sent for free.

Does this mean that one would need to resend scores to those schools? I designated Tufts as one of the schools to which scores were sent for free.
I did the same for UW (see list) and when I asked, they told me that I will need to resend the scores again when the new app cycle begins so that they can match the DAT scores to the app.

I don't know if Tufts is different, but call them for sure.

Yeah, UW is my top choice too. Are you going to get ADA to resend scores after June 1st? Do you know how long it takes for the school to receive scores?

Yeah, UW is my top choice too. Are you going to get ADA to resend scores after June 1st? Do you know how long it takes for the school to receive scores?

Actually, UW is not my first choice :oops: (very sad). I'll request scores to be sent when I submit my aadsas app. I'd say a couple of weeks (4?)

Good thread! Got a question: So I took my DAT last summer and ready to apply this summer. So what are the steps to re-request the score? Is it on www.adea.org? Thanks a lot!

Great thread. I'll see if I can add on any of my five schools after I make a few calls.

I wish I knew about this sooner. I picked all the schools I wanted to apply to when I applied for the DAT and had to pay the $25 each. I took the DAT last Thursday and it says it will take about 3-4 weeks for the official score report (So maybe the 3rd week of June). If I am able to submit my app in the first week of June will that still be too late since it still needs to be processed first? I guess I'll have to spend more money to be on the safe side. :( :thumbdown:

I wish I knew about this sooner. I picked all the schools I wanted to apply to when I applied for the DAT and had to pay the $25 each. I took the DAT last Thursday and it says it will take about 3-4 weeks for the official score report (So maybe the 3rd week of June). If I am able to submit my app in the first week of June will that still be too late since it still needs to be processed first? I guess I'll have to spend more money to be on the safe side. :( :thumbdown:
You should call all of the schools and ask about that. I am sure at least half of them would keep your DAT. Unfortunately, you will probably have to resend the scores to some schools...

I took the DAT in August of 2008 and had my scores sent to Nova and UF among others (I'm not applying to the others I sent them to). I had the same question so I called yesterday and both UF and Nova said they didn't have my scores on file and that I will have to resend them.

I took the DAT in August of 2008 and had my scores sent to Nova and UF among others (I'm not applying to the others I sent them to). I had the same question so I called yesterday and both UF and Nova said they didn't have my scores on file and that I will have to resend them.

I just called Nova...they said they hold on to the scores...i took my exam in July 2008...so, i don't know...confusing...

Hm, maybe I'll call again. My last name has an apostrophe in it so sometimes that throws people off, maybe I could have them check without it? I had them actually look me up in the computer instead of just asking in general. What about you?

Hm, maybe I'll call again. My last name has an apostrophe in it so sometimes that throws people off, maybe I could have them check without it? I had them actually look me up in the computer instead of just asking in general. What about you?

I asked in general...maybe i'll call again too...

I called Michigan, UCLA, UCSF, and UOP today again about this issue (those are 4 of 5 schools that I designated for free request). They pretty much all said the same thing: they will be able to access the scores online for at least a 2-year period after taking the test. So, I guess, there is no point for me to resend the scores to those schools.

NYU said the same thing (without mentioning the 2-year period), Western sort of says the same thing on their website as well. Along with that Mich, ASDOH, and Western have been able to verify that they have my scores so all-in-all I think it is safe to say that a lot of schools already have our scores if we designated earlier that our scores be sent there.

It sounds to me that last year they received the scores on paper. With the new electronic system things are a little different now?

So does that mean that we have to wait till a school receives our application before sending anything?

Ok, so I called various schools and asked whether they keep DAT scores from the previous cycle or if we have to re-request them from the ADA. Here are the responses, keeping with Zubnaya's format:

+ Indiana
+ Maryland
+ Tufts
+ UMDNJ
+ S.U.N.Y. Buffalo
+ NYU
+ UNC
+ Marquette
- Louisville
- Boston
- Temple
- Pittsburgh
- VCU
Nova: nobody ever seems to answer or respond to my emails

I know there are discrepancies with Zubnaya's original post regarding some of these schools, such as Maryland and VCU, and I'm not sure why exactly that is. From what one of the schools told me, last year was the first year they were able to view DAT scores electronically, so there was some confusion as to whether the electronic scores would still be available. It seems that they are still available, as several schools were able to verify they still had my scores on file. Specifically, NYU and Tufts told me to write them a letter once my application had been processed to confirm my DAT scores were still available.

So does that mean that we have to wait till a school receives our application before sending anything?
I've been told by Temple and Maryland to hold off until e-submitting but if they really do keep the scores electronically I don't understand why we couldn't just send them right now. :shrug:

Ok, so I called various schools and asked whether they keep DAT scores from the previous cycle or if we have to re-request them from the ADA. Here are the responses, keeping with Zubnaya's format:

+ Indiana
+ Maryland
+ Tufts
+ UMDNJ
+ S.U.N.Y. Buffalo
+ NYU
+ UNC
+ Marquette
- Louisville
- Boston
- Temple
- Pittsburgh
- VCU
Nova: nobody ever seems to answer or respond to my emails

I know there are discrepancies with Zubnaya's original post regarding some of these schools, such as Maryland and VCU, and I'm not sure why exactly that is. From what one of the schools told me, last year was the first year they were able to view DAT scores electronically, so there was some confusion as to whether the electronic scores would still be available. It seems that they are still available, as several schools were able to verify they still had my scores on file. Specifically, NYU and Tufts told me to write them a letter once my application had been processed to confirm my DAT scores were still available.

I asked the question a little bit differently (probably):thumbup:

Does it take the same amount of time to re-send old scores as it does after you first take the DAT (4-8 wks)?

Thank you.

The answer, if anyone needs it, is that it goes out right away (I was told by next wed it would be out)

Hey..I have a question though. By receiving the AADSAS application, does that mean the schools HAVE to have the applications that are send by AADSAS directly?? Or does it mean that as long as we e-submit it, we're ok? I actually e-submitted mine a week after I requested my DAT score from ADA so....ya I would HATE to spend another 400 dollars to resend my scores.

Hey..I have a question though. By receiving the AADSAS application, does that mean the schools HAVE to have the applications that are send by AADSAS directly?? Or does it mean that as long as we e-submit it, we're ok? I actually e-submitted mine a week after I requested my DAT score from ADA so....ya I would HATE to spend another 400 dollars to resend my scores.

No, I think you are fine. Since schools now receive DAT scores electronically, they will probably hold on to it and match it with your application once it arrives.

Schools don't "receive" DAT scores anymore, the scores become available to schools when you request them (it takes 8-10 buisness days to process request if you have taken the test some time before you request them and up to 4 weeks if you request the scores right after you take the test). So, when the AADSAS app comes in, the school person goes to the ada website and checks by your name (or ssn, or whatever) whether the DAT score is available to that school. That way, there is no danger of score being thrown away. The schools can check the scores whenever they want and I think after you request the scores, they are available to schools for 2 years (not sure about that).

Schools don't "receive" DAT scores anymore, the scores become available to schools when you request them (it takes 8-10 buisness days to process request if you have taken the test some time before you request them and up to 4 weeks if you request the scores right after you take the test). So, when the AADSAS app comes in, the school person goes to the ada website and checks by your name (or ssn, or whatever) whether the DAT score is available to that school. That way, there is no danger of score being thrown away. The schools can check the scores whenever they want and I think after you request the scores, they are available to schools for 2 years (not sure about that).

Thanks for the info...it does clear it up a bit. I think you are right about the scores being available for 2 years now, instead of being "tossed" after the application cycle is over. When I was talking to one of the schools earlier, she had told me that my score would be available for the next 2 years. But I'm thinking some schools are still confused on this...perhaps everything will be cleared up by next cycle.

Whoever reads this, do not get confused and read the edited first post of this thread

Ok, just to make sure, we will only need to request scores for the schools not originally designated? This goes for UW as well (can't seem to get through to them through phone or e-mail)?

Ok, just to make sure, we will only need to request scores for the schools not originally designated? This goes for UW as well (can't seem to get through to them through phone or e-mail)?

I called UW and they told me that I need to re-request. But I think they weren't aware of the new system yet. I called ADA and they explained to me that the scores are available to schools online for an extended period of time now.
I would still call UW to make sure they can access your scores (maybe do that when your aadsas app is sent out).
I would call every school you are applying to and make sure:)

Thanks Zub.
I guess I will request the scores now.

should we call each one these schools and check if they received our scores or not? Each school sends you an email about how everything is complete or not!