2009 MD/PhD Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor&Geek

25 > 5 / 15 < 8
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'll be collecting data again on residency appointments for this year's graduating MD/PhD students.

If you have results from your school or your intended school, please share!

EDIT: Because a few issues have come up, I want to say a few words:

1) I'm tracking graduates from MD/PhD programs. Students obtaining a PhD independently prior to medical school are impossible to track, and furthermore I speculate that these students have little interest in research, at least in comparison to their MD/PhD counterparts. Therefore, I've limited this match list to graduates of MD/PhD programs.

2) Do not make any assumptions as to the quality of a program's match list based on the presence of highly competitive matches, as the reasons for choosing a specialty and location are complicated more than just name reputation. In general, beware also of statements by programs claiming that some high percent of students get their "first choice", as you can't rank programs you don't even get interviews from (actually you can, but your chances of matching are zero). About the only real negative conclusions one can make about a program is that it has excessive number of people who fail to match, or that a program consistently has graduates match in research-unfriendly specialties or at non-academic institutions.

3) In past years I've provided sources for data to help with reliability of data. Most reliable are program webpages and other official annoucements, then contributions by e-mail or PM from students who I can verify, then contributions of anonymous students. Least reliable is "correlate", which means I take an MD/PhD program's roster and compare it to a match list with names available online. As always, corrections are appreciated, but if I have data from somewhere higher on the list - especially an official program announcement, I'm taking the more reliable source as gospel.

Digest (7/2/09)

42/42 MSTPs
10 non-MSTPs

n = 344 (no postdocs, prelims, or others)

Top 5 Specialties
Internal Medicine: 83
Pediatrics: 38
Pathology: 33
Psychiatry: 25
Radiation Oncology: 23

Top 5 Locations
Harvard: 49
WashU: 18
Penn: 18
UCSF: 17
Stanford: 15

Nonmatchers
Consulting - 4
Deferred - 3
Government - 1
Industry - 1
Postdoc - 14
Prelim Only - 7
Other - 1

Previous match results threads:

2008: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503857
2007: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=380918
2006: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=265950
2005: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=186611
2004: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=112378

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've got some:

VCU/MCV:
RADS
Path
IM Research fast track

Last edited:
Curious how you can be a dumb ass and a bigger dumb ass and not match. I always hear generic crap like "personality issues" that I never really believe.

Helping someone I care about to scramble right now :( Not an MD/PhD though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got some:

VCU/MCV:
RADS
Path
IM Research fast track
Did not match due to being a dumb ass
Did not match due to being a bigger dumb ass

I will update when I find out where...PS this is the first year that any MD/PhD has had to scramble from our program.

EDIT: nvm. :p

Last edited:
That's easy!
1. You can rotate back into M3 in mid march on the last day possible to complete an entire 3rd year before match day, then try to match into a competitive specialty in which you have done no away rotations, electives, and interview before you've completed 2 of the major clinical rotations. Also don't have a 1st author basic science paper to show for your 6 year PhD.

2. You can tell every faculty member in each rotation that theirs is the specialty you want. Tell the director you want to do Rad Onc, interview for Rad Onc, but then rank only PRS programs, of which you have only had a handful of interviews (but not from the programs you've done aways in).

Not trying to be too hard on them (one is a good friend of mine) but I think careful planning would have helped. Of course I have no idea how their interviews went...still...

I think this will be a major impetus for pressure to rotate back into M3 with the start of a new class and not at some random time. These were two very exceptional cases, however.

Learn a valuable lesson from these examples, folks.

As an incoming MD/PhD student, hearing horror stories like this is extra scary. :scared:

I'm not really sure what happened to gstrub, aside from the fact he didn't match. Was he shooting for RadOnc? Did he apply for programs across multiple speciaties? What exactly was the situation?

I'm not really sure what happened to gstrub, aside from the fact he didn't match. Was he shooting for RadOnc? Did he apply for programs across multiple speciaties? What exactly was the situation?

That post also confused me at first. I believe gstrub was listing the mudphuds in his program who entered the match this year; one went to radiology, one went to path, one went to an IM research residency, and two didn't match.

That post also confused me at first. I believe gstrub was listing the mudphuds in his program who entered the match this year; one went to radiology, one went to path, one went to an IM research residency, and two didn't match.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the clarification! That makes much more sense.

Pretty amazing. I have never known any MD/PhD student that didn't match. I expect that, as gstrub said, these must individuals must have been in very exceptional situations.

So to update:
VCU/MCV
PITT Research Fast Track IM
DUKE Path
Penn RADS

That's easy!
1. You can rotate back into M3 in mid march on the last day possible to complete an entire 3rd year before match day, then try to match into a competitive specialty in which you have done no away rotations, electives, and interview before you've completed 2 of the major clinical rotations. Also don't have a 1st author basic science paper to show for your 6 year PhD.

2. You can tell every faculty member in each rotation that theirs is the specialty you want. Tell the director you want to do Rad Onc, interview for Rad Onc, but then rank only PRS programs, of which you have only had a handful of interviews (but not from the programs you've done aways in).

Not trying to be too hard on them (one is a good friend of mine) but I think careful planning would have helped. Of course I have no idea how their interviews went...still...

I think this will be a major impetus for pressure to rotate back into M3 with the start of a new class and not at some random time. These were two very exceptional cases, however.

I rotated back in in April of the third year and was OK... of course I had 6 months of clinics going into the PhD.
The big issue for #1 is not having a 1st author pub. How the crap do you finish a PhD without publishing? Seriously. Not only do you probably not deserve the PhD, but you better not plan on a academic career because your CV won't land you any gigs.

Not sure if #2 really matters, unless you are such an arse everyone talks about you behind your back. I doubt PDs from different departments at the same institution talk to or even know each other. I'm sure 30% of all medical students do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an incoming MD/PhD student, hearing horror stories like this is extra scary. :scared:
Why? As you saw above, the circumstances were very unique. A huge percentage of these situations are due to people choosing competitive specialties and not going about it in an intelligent way. Of course, some people don't match because life got in the way and things got complicated, but I wouldn't start freaking out about it first year.

I rotated back in in April of the third year and was OK... of course I had 6 months of clinics going into the PhD.
The big issue for #1 is not having a 1st author pub. How the crap do you finish a PhD without publishing? Seriously. Not only do you probably not deserve the PhD, but you better not plan on a academic career because your CV won't land you any gigs.

Not sure if #2 really matters, unless you are such an arse everyone talks about you behind your back. I doubt PDs from different departments at the same institution talk to or even know each other. I'm sure 30% of all medical students do this.

come on, graduate school can be dependent on lots of things...particularly your PI, the project you are on, etc...it's not always like medical school where hard work = payoff. yes, being a slacker can definitely be the cause, but it's not the only possibility.

UAB (source: was there)
Child Neurology - Vanderbilt
Internal Medicine - Vanderbilt
Pediatrics - Columbia
Pediatrics - Cincinnati
Pediatrics - UAB
Radiation Oncology - UAB

Tri-I (source: website)
Dermatology - Stanford
Dermatology - Johns Hopkins
Internal Medicine - Penn
Pathology - Brigham
Pathology - Brigham
Radiation Oncology - Cornell
Psychiatry - UCDavis
Radiology - UCSD
Radiology - Wayne State
Surgery - NYMC
Postdoc
Postdoc
Consulting

UNC (source: correlate)
Emergency Medicine - Mayo
Internal Medicine - MGH
OB/GYN - Duke
Pathology - Johns Hopkins
Pediatrics - UConn
Pediatrics - MCV
Radiology - UAB
Vascular Surgery - Stanford
Prelim Only

WashU (source: website)
Anesthesiology - Duke
Dermatology - WashU
Internal Medicine - Brigham
Internal Medicine - MGH
Internal Medicine - Penn
Internal Medicine - Penn
Internal Medicine - WashU
Neurology - WashU
Ophthalmology - Harvard/MEEI
Pathology - U of Washington
Pathology - WashU
Pediatrics - Stanford
Psychiatry - Columbia
Psychiatry - WashU
Radiation Oncology - WashU
Consulting

Last edited:
My impression is that for #1, the individual sort of bailed out from lab after 6 years, leaving the project with many loose ends. The reason, I believe, was that the deadline to rotate back to M3 and still match on the next year was approaching, and I think the student figured that during the interim of 3rd year the project would be completed and the paper would be submitted (which of course is complete fallacy). I agree that a committee approving a student's rotation back to M3 without a finished paper was a major problem, but apparently (according to this forum I believe) this has happened before. After awhile, I think some programs figure enough funding is enough, and it's then the student's problem in explaining why there is no paper, and I am sure it is also reflected in their LORs. If it were me, after 6+ years in the PhD phase, I would want out to, so I am kind of divided on the committee's decisions.

Moral: don't be stupid and leave without at least one publication.

For #2, the problem wasn't PDs talking, it was that this individual only had 3 interviews for PRS, but probably 12 interviews total. He only ranked PRS. This is match day suicide in my opinion, but I suppose having a year to make yourself more competitive for a field you really want is better than spending you entire life in something you like less and are constantly looking back and wishing you had held out.

Moral: don't be stupid and apply only Plastic freaking Surgery.

In the past 5 years, only 7 out 1413 MD/PhD students have been lucky enough to obtain an integrated plastics position. Percentage wise, that's not any better than the straight MD population.

UAB (source: was there)
Child Neurology - Vanderbilt
Pediatrics - Cincinnati
Pediatrics - UAB
Radiation Oncology - UAB

Tri-I (source: website)
Dermatology - Stanford
Dermatology - Johns Hopkins
Internal Medicine - Penn
Pathology - Brigham
Radiation Oncology - Cornell
Psychiatry - UCDavis
Radiology - UCSD
Radiology - Wayne State
Surgery - NYMC
Postdoc
Postdoc
Consulting

I have to say that the Tri-I matchlist is quite unimpressive. Tri-I is supposed to be one of the very best MSTPs in the county. Why are people matching to places like Wayne State, UCDavis, NYMC? And it's questionable as to whether the two postdocs were voluntary or a result of not matching.

Apparently the PhD (even from prestigious institutions like Cornell and Rockefeller) is not quite the boost in the residency application that was once thought. Maybe it really IS all about Step 1 and 3rd year clerkships...

I also think it's funny that there's just one IM, one path, and no peds or neuro people on that list.

I have to say that the Tri-I matchlist is quite unimpressive. Tri-I is supposed to be one of the very best MSTPs in the county. Why are people matching to places like Wayne State, UCDavis, NYMC? And it's questionable as to whether the two postdocs were voluntary or a result of not matching.

Apparently the PhD (even from prestigious institutions like Cornell and Rockefeller) is not quite the boost in the residency application that was once thought. Maybe it really IS all about Step 1 and 3rd year clerkships...

I also think it's funny that there's just one IM, one path, and no peds or neuro people on that list.

I know you, and you know better than to base this judgment on one year's worth of data.

There are two more UAB MD/PhDs:
peds-Columbia U (NY,NY)
IM-unsure

I agree that the Cornell list is not as impressive as I would have thought, but I am also willing to give leeway and assume that some impressive people are matching into less than stellar places to be closer to family and other personal reasons.

I know of one graduating MD/PhDer from UAB this year who could have matched basically anywhere but ranked a good, but not top, place as his first choice for personal reasons.

I have been looking at match lists from various schools, and it seems like the PhD does confer some meaningful advantage. Last year's UAB match list was 1 peds at CHOP and 2 Derms/1 path at Michigan. Look at VCU/MCV's list -- Penn, Pitt, and Duke. Regular MD applicants out of good, but not top, schools like UAB and VCU/MCV don't regularly match at schools like that.

D&G, what are your thoughts on the benefits of a PhD in the matching process? Do MD/PhD's out of a given schools regularly match better than MD's out of that same school?

Edit: And, oh, look at D&G's data: 263 MD/PhD's matched at Harvard hospitals over the past 5 years of a total of 1611 graduates. That is incredible!

Last edited:

Looking at the big picture here, does it really matter if you match with a "good/great" program vs. a "top" program?

For example: you want to do IM, maybe a sub-specialty down the road. Would you be shortselling your career (i.e. post-residency life) if you aim to match with a "good" IM program for personal reasons (quality of life, avoiding notoriously hostile environments) versus gunning for one of the top programs? Are you that better off by being with Hopkins, MGH?

I mean, everyone wants to work hard and do the best they can, but is it worth running oneself into the ground in an attempt to match with one of the best, if the long-term yield between solid programs and the top dogs is only marginal?

come on, graduate school can be dependent on lots of things...particularly your PI, the project you are on, etc...it's not always like medical school where hard work = payoff. yes, being a slacker can definitely be the cause, but it's not the only possibility.
Agree. There are a lot of circumstances that are totally out of your control no matter how hard you worked. I stayed on a full month after I graduated to tie up loose ends and write manuscripts. So far, only one has been published, and I graduated with my PhD three years ago. Why? Well, my PI, as awesome as he is in almost every other way, is a fully tenured prof who does not exactly have a fire lit under his rear to publish. He kept telling me he'd submit the first manuscript soon, soon, soon. Who knows if the rest of my PhD work will ever get published? By now I've pretty much given it up as a lost cause, and I'm going to do a post doc before applying to residency. This time I'm making sure it's with someone who publishes prolifically. :rolleyes:

Iowa (email)

Child Neurology - Harvard Mass General;
Pediatrics - UCSD
Emergency Medicine - UIHC
Internal Medicine - Duke U
Neurology - Columbia U/New York Presbyterian
Neurology - UCSF

Pediatrics - U of Pittsburgh
Pediatrics - Vanderbilt U
Pediatrics - Vanderbilt U
Pediatrics - Washington U/St. Louis Children's
Psychiatry - Brown U
Psychiatry - UCLA Semel Institute for Neurosciences
Radiology - U of Massachusetts

This is not MD/PhD, but I know some of you applied to CCLCM, so I thought I'd post our first ever match list for anyone who is interested. :)

Anesthesiology
Cleveland Clinic

Dermatology
Yale

Emergency Medicine
Cincinnati

General Surgery
Wash U
Brown

Int Medicine
Duke
Beth Israel
Michigan
UNC
Yale
Stanford
Cornell
Vanderbilt

Neurosurgery
Emory
George Washington

Ob/Gyn
Beth Israel
Hawaii

Opthalmology
Cleveland Clinic
UCSD

Orthopedics
Hospital for Special Surgery
UCSF
Utah

Pathlogy
Mass General

Pediatrics
CHOP
Duke

Rad Onc
Rochester

Radiology
UPENN

Urology
Cleveland Clinic
Wake Forest

UT Southwestern Match:

Santa Clara Valley Med Center, CA (prelim); UCLA in Ophthalmology
Wash U/Barnes in Neurosurgery
Wash U/Barnes in Medicine
JHU in Medicine
Boston Children's in Pediatrics
UTSW/CMC in Pediatrics
UTSW/CMC in Pediatrics
UTSW in Psychiatry
U Washington in Anatomic Pathology
UCSD in Medicine/Investigator Path
Postdoc- Cal Tech

Virginia (source: website)
Child Neurology - CHOP
Internal Medicine - Johns Hopkins
Internal Medicine - Penn
Ophthalmology - Iowa
Pediatrics - Children's Boston
Radiology - Harbor-UCLA
Psychiatry - GWU
Surgery - Maryland
Postdoc
Postdoc

Pitt (source: website)
Dermatology - MGH
Dermatology - Pitt
Emergency Medicine - Brigham
Internal Medicine - Pitt
Neurology - MGH
Psychiatry - U of Washington
Surgery - Allegheny General
Radiation Oncology - Colorado
Radiology - Pitt

NYU (source: website)
Anesthesiology - Brigham
Dermatology - Cornell
Dermatology - UCSF
Internal Medicine - BU
Internal Medicine - Mt. Sinai
Pediatrics - Cornell
Radiation Oncology - UCSF
Radiation Oncology - Harvard
Postdoc

Albert Einstein (source: website)
Anesthesiology - Stanford
Dermatology - NYU
Internal Medicine - Cornell
Internal Medicine - MGH
OB/GYN - UCSF
Pathology - Cornell
Pediatrics - Columbia
Pediatrics - Columbia
Pediatrics - CNMC
Psychiatry - Cornell
Psychiatry - Mt. Sinai

Last edited:
in regard to MD/PhD 2009 match, any additional info from schools not posted yet?

in regard to MD/PhD 2009 match, any additional info from schools not posted yet?

:laugh: Give it a few days.

UPenn (source: email from office)

Medicine - UCSF
Medicine - Yale
Medicine - Cornell
Neurology - Penn
Neurology - UCSF
Ob-Gyn (Prelim) - Temple
Pathology - Penn
Pathology - Harvard (Brigham & Women's)
Pediatrics - Harvard (Boston Children's)
Psychiatry - Penn
Psychiatry - Penn
Radiation Oncology - U Washington
Surgery (Prelim) - Penn

Last edited:
UTSW email:

Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins
Internal Medicine, Washington University St. Louis
Internal Medicine/Investigator Path, Univ. California San Diego
Pediatrics, Harvard
Pediatrics, UT Southwestern
Pediatrics, UT Southwestern
Ophthalmology, UCLA
Neurosurgery, Washington University St. Louis
Pathology, U Washington
Psychiatry, UT Southwestern

This is preliminary, a friend of mine forwarded it to me but I'll also check with our office cause I think its missing a name or two:
Johns Hopkins:
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor - Pediatrics
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr - Obstetrics-Gynecology
Johns Hopkins Hosp - Radiation Oncology
U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor - Pathology
Johns Hopkins Hosp - Anesthesiology
Childrens Hosp Boston - Pediatrics
Johns Hopkins Hosp - Internal Medicine
Johns Hopkins Hosp - Pathology

aw, I liked your original post so much better JHop :p Feel free to average all the data together once you have it to come up with an average graduation time for this cohort. I don't have the data on my school's match list so I can't even speculate.

In another note, the match lists from this year just look odd to me. A high number of prelims and post-docs and some very unusual failure to matches (though some programs would report these as post-docs so you never really know how many there are!)... I wonder if this is an off year? Radiology applications shot up about 200 for example, going from an AMG fill rate in the mid to high-90s to 85%. :scared:

aw, I liked your original post so much better JHop :p Feel free to average all the data together once you have it to come up with an average graduation time for this cohort. I don't have the data on my school's match list so I can't even speculate.
Aw, so you saw? ;) I decided I didn't have the energy to get into it right now, and honestly, I've stopped caring. I think I'll spare us all the effort, Dr. Nix. :laugh:

UTHouston (source: correlate)
Ophthalmology - Yale
Surgery - UAB

Wisconsin (source: website)
Family Medicine - Michigan
Internal Medicine - VCU
Neurology - Johns Hopkins
Pathology - Penn
Pathology - U of Washington
Pathology - Michigan
Pediatrics - UTMemphis
Psychiatry - Wisconsin
Radiology - Stanford
Surgery - Wisconsin
Position with FDA

MCG (source: website)
Emergency Medicine - MSU/Sparrow
Neurosurgery - Wake Forest

Baylor (source: PM)
Internal Medicine - Columbia
Internal Medicine - Duke
Neurosurgery - Baylor
Neurosurgery - Florida
Plastic Surgery - WashU
Radiology - Henry Ford
Radiation Oncology - MDAnderson
Radiation Oncology - MDAnderson
Prelim - Pitt

UIUC (source: e-mail)
Child Neurology - Penn
Dermatology - Indiana
Emergency Medicine - Brigham
Internal Medicine - OHSU
Neurosurgery - Brown
OB/GYN - UCSF
Pediatrics - Northwestern
Radiology - UCSF
Surgery - UCDavis

Last edited:
You'll care again by 6th year, I guarantee it :D

Oh, I'll be long graduated and three years into my residency by then. My PhD is in the physics dept: time travel.

The secret to a successful MD-PhD.

I also think it's funny that there's just one IM, one path, and no peds or
neuro people on that list.

Wow, I didn't realize there would be so much hate going around on a generally happy day.... Obviously you can tell from my screen name that I am one of the Cornell MDPhD grads this year. I felt compelled to write in response to this thread to set the record straight.

First of all, the list has an omission. There are 2 (not 1) Tri-I students going to BWH for path. The 2 people doing post-docs did indeed select this voluntarily, i.e. they were never in the match in the first place. As for the rest, how can you say that this list is not impressive???

-Derm at JHU and Stanford - amazing!
-2 x path at BWH - phenomenal!
-Rads at UCSD - equally impressive!
-Medicine at PENN - sweet!
-Rad Onc at Cornell - awesome!
(BTW: most of these matches were first choice)
-consulting at McKinsey - wow!
-as for the others (Psych at UC-Davis, Rads at Wayne State, and Surg at Monte - note: another error, this student is not going to NYMC), at least 2 out of 3 ranked these first for both personal and professional reasons. I don't know the details of the other.

There are always year-to-year variations in chosen specialties. Why is 1 person in medicine and 2 people in path not enough for you? Why do you insist that there should be people in neuro and peds? We are not talking about statistically robust numbers here. Also, every field (not just med, peds, neuro, and path) needs physician-scientists. For example, one of the main reasons I chose my specialty is because I feel there is a need for more scientists (MD-PhDs) in the field.

One thing you are correct about it that the TRI-I program (Cornell/Rockefeller/Sloan Kettering) IS one of the very best MD-PhD/MSTP programs in the country. I am proud to be at this program! We have an amazing bunch of students, faculty, and the combined resources of the 3 institutions can only be matched by a very small number of other medical centers. We do superbly in the match every year and this year is no exception.

On top of all of this, we have the best program director (past president of the md-phd program directors association) and administration who, along with our students, make our program so much more than the sum of its parts.

Anyone questioning this is not only wrong, but out of line.

woops, i forgot one other thing:

there are in fact 2 students from Tri-I who matched in neuro this year (they both graduated last year and took a 1 year post doc for personal reasons, then went into the match this year).

One is staying at Cornell and the other I'm not sure...

There are in fact 2 students from tri-i who matched in neuro this year (they both graduated last year and took a 1 year post doc for personal reasons, then went into the match this year).

One is staying at cornell and the other i'm not sure...

ucla :)

First of all, the list has an omission. There are 2 (not 1) Tri-I students going to BWH for path.

Error corrected.

Surg at Monte - note: another error, this student is not going to NYMC)

No. Your website says this:

J* A*
General Surgery
NYMC Montefiore Med Ctr-North Div, Bronx, NY

And finally, please take a chill pill. Your rant sounds like more like insecurity than righteous criticism.

there are in fact 2 students from Tri-I who matched in neuro this year (they both graduated last year and took a 1 year post doc for personal reasons, then went into the match this year).

One is staying at Cornell and the other I'm not sure...

This may and well be true, but if your website provides match day appointments, your website should include these non-senior matches - I consider these more official and reliable than anonymous posters.

This may and well be true, but if your website provides match day appointments, your website should include these non-senior matches - I consider these more official and reliable than anonymous posters.

You suggest that I take a chill pill? Pot, kettle, black....

I am by no means insecure. I love my program and simply want to set the record straight since Mercapto had incorrectly judged our match results, partially based on some incorrect information (2, not 1 path at Brigham), partially based on some omitted information (non-senior matches), and partially based on false allegations (implying that people who are going straight to post-docs didn't match). You ask that I provide "righteous criticism" -- I feel that my tone was appropriate considering the non-sense that Mercapto wrote.

I think DG probably meant that if there's discrepancy between the data provided here by SNDers and that posted on the school website, she will use the official data from school to compile the matchlist.

Being enthusiastic about your school is good, just don't get too defensive.

You suggest that I take a chill pill? Pot, kettle, black....

I am by no means insecure. I love my program and simply want to set the record straight since Mercapto had incorrectly judged our match results, partially based on some incorrect information (2, not 1 path at Brigham), partially based on some omitted information (non-senior matches), and partially based on false allegations (implying that people who are going straight to post-docs didn't match). You ask that I provide "righteous criticism" -- I feel that my tone was appropriate considering the non-sense that Mercapto wrote.

OK, I will admit that my inferences weren't exactly scientific, based on just one year and an incomplete match list.

And I didn't mean to put down Cornell. I'm not questioning Tri-I's quality at all. I was simply pointing out the fact that even a place as renowned as Tri-I had some - how shall I put this - less than stellar matches. Which indicates to me that a prestigious medical school and a PhD is clearly not enough for some residencies. And I find that worrisome. No need to take this so personally as if I'm bashing Tri-I - I'm just positing certain questions as to what exactly residencies want.