2009-2010 Drexel Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

no secondary essays apparently?

Yeah, according to last year's thread there was no essay on the secondary. Which: woohoo! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd think having no essay on the secondary would save them time so they'd be more efficient in making decisions. I'll tell you now that it doesn't and they are still painfully slow. That, and you'll have an essay to write at your interview.

Have fun :D

You'd think having no essay on the secondary would save them time so they'd be more efficient in making decisions. I'll tell you now that it doesn't and they are still painfully slow. That, and you'll have an essay to write at your interview.

Have fun

Haha seriously? See, I dont mind doing secondary essays because it probably gives me a better chance since my stats are so average. I am a pretty good on-the-fly writer so I wouldnt mind doing an essay like that

yay no secondary essay!!!! :banana:

Last edited:
Personally, I prefer secondaries...I like to think that the schools have some interest in who I am as an individual. Although I clearly know this isn't necessarily true, I believe a part of me likes pretending to be fooled ;)

drexel aka everyones safety school wont have an essay, honestly with schools that get this many apps, I cant imagine they want to read through 12k essays spouting bs about how this isnt their safety school and they wanna go there :smuggrin:. might as well just cut to the chase and interview who they want :)

What an arrogant little tool! Good luck getting into ANY medical school.

What an arrogant little tool! Good luck getting into ANY medical school.

I wasnt being arrogant it was a joke, man calm down. I was joking how everyone applies here and think its a "safety" and that its easy to get into (when thats not the case and every school is challenging to get into, maybe more so drexel and the ones that get 12k+ apps). You guys need to calm down, get a life, or something serious its ok to not be serious and uptight all the time. I would be happy to go ot drexel or anywhere else

judging from rajons comment you are extremely bitter as you failed to get into school also so good luck with that.

Last edited:
Hey Rowdy - looks like you didn't have another acceptance to fall back on after the UMASS rejection either. Best of luck to you this cycle!

Elijah,

what is up with the fake MDapp? seriously? :)

Hey Rowdy - looks like you didn't have another acceptance to fall back on after the UMASS rejection either. Best of luck to you this cycle!

I actually had two but already settled on a school for this coming year. Good luck to you, too.

Members don't see this ad :)

What was the essay about?

an essay during the interview? oh great. i suck at those.

Howdy folks, welcome to a new application cycle. I'm going to be a MS-2 in the fall and would be happy to answer any questions you have about Drexel.

It's still way early, but good luck to all of you. :luck: Try not to stress out too much.

Howdy folks, welcome to a new application cycle. I'm going to be a MS-2 in the fall and would be happy to answer any questions you have about Drexel.

It's still way early, but good luck to all of you. :luck: Try not to stress out too much.
Hows the area around drexel...i have never been to philly but all i hear about it, is how horrid philly is and how unsafe it is...especially when it comes to temple. I have no idea how close drexel is to temple but is this just people over reacting? Kinda like how people say USC is so bad. I mean USCs area is kinda crappy but its not like you are gonna die or something, its not that bad and easy to avoid bad parts.

Hows the area around drexel...i have never been to philly but all i hear about it, is how horrid philly is and how unsafe it is...especially when it comes to temple. I have no idea how close drexel is to temple but is this just people over reacting? Kinda like how people say USC is so bad. I mean USCs area is kinda crappy but its not like you are gonna die or something, its not that bad and easy to avoid bad parts.

The Drexel medical campus is in the East Falls neighborhood of Philly. It's very residential with lots of greenery. Things start to get slightly shady if you cross Wissahickon Ave., but other than that, things are just fine. The area is NOTHING like the area where Temple is located.

You'll just have to see it for yourself, though. It's very peaceful. East Falls is on the banks of the Schuylkill River and on the edge of Fairmount Park, so there are lots of outdoorsy things to do. Plus you've got the nightlife of Manayunk nice and close, and Center City is just a short bus/train/cab/shuttle ride away.

Yeah, I just finished a post-bacc in Philthy for a year - I could not wait to get out of that city! (granted, I am applying to two schools there) As a whole, Philly is just a scummy city.

Temple is truly in the hood - I still have nightmares about a friend's apt I went to in that area :eek:. UPenn and Drexel are much safer. Drexel's probably in the best neighborhood, as West Philly is...well, West Philly (there's a reason Will got sent cross-country live with his Auntie and Unlce in Bel-Air ;) ).

All-in-all, Killadelphia is a block-by-block city - one minute you're in a nice quiet, young section, stop paying attention after a few minutes of walking and you're in the middle of crackhouse row.

Plus sides are that the city is inexpensive and has many young people, so there are always things to do and people to (selectively) meet.

Yeah, I just finished a post-bacc in Philthy for a year - I could not wait to get out of that city! (granted, I am applying to two schools there) As a whole, Philly is just a scummy city.

Temple is truly in the hood - I still have nightmares about a friend's apt I went to in that area :eek:. UPenn and Drexel are much safer. Drexel's probably in the best neighborhood, as West Philly is...well, West Philly (there's a reason Will got sent cross-country live with his Auntie and Unlce in Bel-Air ;) ).

All-in-all, Killadelphia is a block-by-block city - one minute you're in a nice quiet, young section, stop paying attention after a few minutes of walking and you're in the middle of crackhouse row.

Plus sides are that the city is inexpensive and has many young people, so there are always things to do and people to (selectively) meet.

It should be noted that while Drexel's main campus is in West Philly, the medical campus is not.

It should be noted that while Drexel's main campus is in West Philly, the medical campus is not.

Is that a good or a bad thing? I'm not really familiar with the different areas in philly.

Is that a good or a bad thing? I'm not really familiar with the different areas in philly.

It's just a different thing. The previous poster was talking about West Philly, and that environment isn't terribly relevant to the day-to-day life of a Drexel med student because you're never there.

It's just a different thing. The previous poster was talking about West Philly, and that environment isn't terribly relevant to the day-to-day life of a Drexel med student because you're never there.

Oh I see, how's the area where the school actually is?

In WEST PHILADELPHIA BORN AND RAISED, here's the playground where I spent most of my days.............WHEN A COUPLE OF GUYS WHO WERE UP TO NO GOOD............

hey saqrfaraj. Do you really have to write an essay on the interview day? I know there are none on the secondary but I remember reading on SDN somewhere that you write one on interview day...is that true? :(

hey saqrfaraj. Do you really have to write an essay on the interview day? I know there are none on the secondary but I remember reading on SDN somewhere that you write one on interview day...is that true? :(

Yes. They only implemented the interview essay last cycle so I have no personal experience with it. I haven't heard any word on whether they'll still have an essay this cycle, but I would go into the interview expecting it.

Hey I was wondering the same thing, has anyone received a secondary yet?

No secondaries yet!

Does everyone who applies to Drexel get a secondary?

Does everyone who applies to Drexel get a secondary?
yes, and last year the 2ndary came out sometime in august, so id say we have a few weeks left before we see it. But it takes <5 mins to fill out so this is not one i would be worrying about.

Just received the secondary invite email!!!!

Joking!!! :laugh: Just wanted to see how many people actually got excited when they saw this.

Just received the secondary invite email!!!!

Joking!!! :laugh: Just wanted to see how many people actually got excited when they saw this.
hahah I was thinking "oh great, another secondary someone else got and I didn't" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.