2009-2010 Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are no secondary essays.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anybody who went through this for class of 2013 care to share thoughts, tips? Anybody about to go through it want to commiserate?

I'm applying ED, as soon as my grades come in, and MUSC is pretty much my one and only favorite, not because I can't get into private schools but for personal reasons.

Does anyone have any stories from Joan, the others in Admissions?
What can I do to maximize success?
What did you do that you think helped?

I'm just going to mention that we already have a bunch of application threads already made and ready to go for the next season, but right now they are hidden since it's a bit early to have those running around. Feel free to discuss these questions here for now, but please understand that at some point in the future this thread will likely either be closed or merged with the new "official" thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you some kind of administrator? If they are here they are hard to find. This forum is completely unorganized, if you are in charge and so why don't you direct me where I need to go instead of chiding? Are you even applying or just moderating?

How bout buzz off since you're already accepted, no need to keep bragging about your life, other people are seniors and this is our cycle. What do you have to do with this cycle anyway?

-from cambridge, with annoyance.

EDIT: Deleted... not applicable to 2009-2010 Secondary App

Good luck to everyone applying!

Last edited:
Those last couple posts were a little ugly - can we get some clean up to make this the super friendly secondary thread it should be? Haha.

MUSC's secondary thread was the only one from last year I looked at that didn't have the questions posted. Is it just going to be basic questions like USC's secondary? Where do you want to practice, what do you want to do, etc.?

I'm curious about the secondary as well.
Hm, this thread is really quiet...if that means less competition during the admissions cycle then I guess yay for us current applicants? :rolleyes:

i don't remember too much about the 2ndary from last year. but i know it was very simple. i think the only thing they wanted was your personal statement, which i copied and pasted from AMCAS

Has anyone received the secondary yet? Do they screen?

just got screened in yayyyyy, im oos for what its worth, the secondaries that screen are the only ones that i actually enjoy seeing in my inbox.. im sitting on about 8 of them right now. sweet, its rough working full time and doing this too :(

just got screened in yayyyyy, im oos for what its worth, the secondaries that screen are the only ones that i actually enjoy seeing in my inbox.. im sitting on about 8 of them right now. sweet, its rough working full time and doing this too :(

I don't think their supplemental that was sent out today was a screen-in. I think everyone gets it.
" As MUSC is a state-assisted institution, South Carolina residency is of primary consideration in the screening process for the regular MD program. Files for out-of state applicants are usually reviewed in late fall. Most out-of-state applicants who are interviewed have close South Carolina ties. A form to request ‘close ties’ or the Demographic profile (for S.C. residents only) is included in this PDF file..." yadda yadda yadda.

So they let everyone fill in the secondary and give them some cashimus maximus, but they don't look at OOS applicants until later this fall. Still filled mine out this morning -- trying to think of how I can make yearly vacations for the past 15 years of my life seem like "close ties".

Members don't see this ad :)
just applied to MUSC...whats the secondary like?

just applied to MUSC...whats the secondary like?
Part of it's online, the state demographics / ties part you have to mail in.

For anyone who has submitted already, how long did it take for you to get put in the system? They've had 3 business days pass since I submitted, they said it'd take 2 max before I could check my status.

this secondary has no essays?
Questions that need 1-2 line answers. No real essays.

Has anyone who submitted been put in the system yet? If so, how long did that take? I submitted a week ago and still can't check my status...

for the form you have to mail in.. did you guys fill it in by hand or type it? What program can you open it on to type your responses b/c whatever i tried wont let me..

for the form you have to mail in.. did you guys fill it in by hand or type it? What program can you open it on to type your responses b/c whatever i tried wont let me..

i'm having the same issue... if anyone figured this out help would be very appreciated.

Has anyone who submitted been put in the system yet? If so, how long did that take? I submitted a week ago and still can't check my status...
Emailed them to see what's up, if you've ever been a student in any way at MUSC use that email to check your status.

I filled it out by hand and faxed it. Apparently there are programs that allow you to fill in PDFs even if there are no fields originally, but it's not that big of a deal in my opinion. I have poor handwriting, but I just tried my best to make it look nice and presentable.
Emailed them to see what's up, if you've ever been a student in any way at MUSC use that email to check your status.
Anyone who submitted already, have your LORs been marked as received yet?

Anyone who submitted already, have your LORs been marked as received yet?
I'll include part of a PM that I thought was useful information:

...[MUSC] told me that they won't even begin to look at regular applicants until the end of August. For the first month (August) all they do is basically focus on ED applicants.

Guess that means we won't be hearing interview news for a while. When I checked today, it said "AMCAS letters have been received," so I guess everything's in that needs to be for me. Now the wait.

how soon after your AMCAS is verified do they send out secondaries?

Hi everyone! Let's get this forum rolling! MUSC is an awesome medical school and I really hope I am accepted. Did any early decision applicants receive interview invitations already?

Question: my AMCAS was verified on Tuesday and I still haven't gotten an e-mail from MUSC...so I went online and found the secondary, filled it out, but have not submitted it....do you think its safe to go ahead and submit without receiving an email from them, or have i been "screened out" before the secondary?

Question: my AMCAS was verified on Tuesday and I still haven't gotten an e-mail from MUSC...so I went online and found the secondary, filled it out, but have not submitted it....do you think its safe to go ahead and submit without receiving an email from them, or have i been "screened out" before the secondary?

I can't remember exactly, but I think I received a link to the secondary about a few days or maybe a week after I was complete at AMCAS. I would have to know a little more about your stats, e.g. in state or out of state, MCAT, and GPA, to be able to gauge if you would be screened out or not.

Any chance that I could get a link to the pdf file for application to close ties to MUSC?

Just got my secondary. I'm currently out of state working on establishing my residency here so that i can be considered in state for admission/tuition

so i faxed my demographics sheet to them and my app status says they still dont have it...think i should fax it again or would that be pushy?

so i faxed my demographics sheet to them and my app status says they still dont have it...think i should fax it again or would that be pushy?
call em up first. They seem to be pretty nice

Do I have to fill out the demographic/ties form? I am not SC resident and I don't have parents/grandparents that ever lived/born there. I am from NC though. Is this form for everyone or just SC residents and close ties?

Can some one please answer my questions:

How much time it takes to get Secondary after the verification by to AMCS?
My MCAT score is not in yet.

thanks

Do I have to fill out the demographic/ties form? I am not SC resident and I don't have parents/grandparents that ever lived/born there. I am from NC though. Is this form for everyone or just SC residents and close ties?

no

Can some one please answer my questions:

How much time it takes to get Secondary after the verification by to AMCS?
My MCAT score is not in yet.

thanks

i never got a secondary...just go to the MUSC website and click the link to the secondary. they dont screen so you can fill it out there. then they email you with a demographics form to fill out.

does anybody know when this school starts reviewing regular applications?

Has anyone gotten an interview request yet?

i havent..and i think its a little strange b/c their status page says they review oos in november...which means that we should have our instate interviews soon.....whats up? somebody should call.

soooooooooooooooooooooo i finally read the "status" page on the part where you log in...it says they notify you of interviews via telephone or snail mail...whats up with that? has ANYBODY gotten an interview yet?@!?

My roommate got an interview invite yesterday.

ok heres the deal. i called up the admissions office today and she said first its all instate for this "year"..as in till december. they will send you an interview invite 2-3 weeks in advance. that status page is just there for them to show that they received all your materials. when i called, they had me scheduled already for a later date but i asked for it to be moved up and they were very accomadating of my situation.

oh yea, they interview on fridays and the committie meets to make its decision on the last tuesday of every month.

oh yea, I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!!!!!!! goin down in october!!

Last edited:
I'm guessing instate?
Yes.
when i called, they had me scheduled already for a later date but i asked for it to be moved up and they were very accomadating of my situation.
Congrats. So they already have some applicants assigned to interviews, they just won't hear until 2-3 weeks before that date (unless you call them?)? What date did you get it moved to?

Yes.

Congrats. So they already have some applicants assigned to interviews, they just won't hear until 2-3 weeks before that date (unless you call them?)? What date did you get it moved to?

actually, i think they have everybody their gonna interview already scheduled because i was supposed to be on nov 20 and got moved up to mid oct...23rd i think.

i would say that if you really wanted to plan your travel arrangements between musc and other schools just to call and ask your status, but then again, i dont think having massive amounts of students calling the admissions office is a good idea..lol

Anyone else having trouble with the AMCAS LORs for MUSC? I assigned my letters to MUSC 2 weeks ago and the MUSC app status page still shows they have not been received. I did resubmit my AMCAS after I assigned my LORs. I'm so confused :(

Anyone else having trouble with the AMCAS LORs for MUSC? I assigned my letters to MUSC 2 weeks ago and the MUSC app status page still shows they have not been received. I did resubmit my AMCAS after I assigned my LORs. I'm so confused :(

call and see whats goin on...MUSC has the nicest admissions staff.

if your letters have been recieved by AMCAS it takes 2 seconds for any school to d/l them...so i personally wouldn't worry about it. but on the other hand i'm sure if you called and voiced your concern you could get an answer. also got an invite, oct 2.

Have any of you heard anything about deferring an admission at MUSC? Im considering doing a year long thing like Americorps or something and was curious if I got accepted if they would let me defer for a year.

Most med schools mention on their website but couldnt find it at MUSC

Ok this may sound silly but I just looked on my status page and saw Oct. 16 next to Comments. Does this mean that I have an interview on Oct 16?

this is probably a stupid question but. . .

does MUSC have rolling admissions? because the people in the admissions office have previously told me that there is no advantage in applying early, as in waiting til the deadline in Dec to apply would not negatively affect my chances of getting in. but that doesnt seem right. can someone please clarify this?

my situation is that i am originally from SC, completed several years of university there (including all my prereqs), and my still parents live there. i need to reestablish my residency which takes 12 months and need to know by when i need to be starting my 12 months. if applying early has no advantage i can essentially wait until Dec (because by the following Dec I will have met the residency requirement) to be living in SC.

please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.