2009-2010 Meharry Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

I am reluctant to apply here b/c I heard they only accept AA? true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am reluctant to apply here b/c I heard they only accept AA? true?

Meharry has a large number of AA matriculants.I read somewhere around 90% but that should not preclude you if you believe in the mission of the school. The school tends to be accepting of students from communities that are underserved since they are likely to go back and enrich their respective communities.

The profile below is that of an Asian Meharry grad doing his 5th year ENT residency at Vanderbilt:

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/root/vumc.php?site=otoent&doc=10087

Does anyone know the questions on the secondary?

I also had the same question about AA. I am just going to go for it. I really do share a passion for the under-served and want to come back to my under-served county and try to help out. I'm just hoping that being "all-out" for the mission statement will make them see that no matter my color, they should let me in.

Hi,
Has anyone received secondaries yet?Can someone please post the prompt?
Thanks.

No not yet :(. I hate the waiting game!

I received this e-mail on the 17th:

This E-mail is to acknowledge receipt of your 2010 AMCAS electronic application by Meharry Medical College. You will receive further communication after the initial review of your application has been completed.

same here...does anyone know if they have sent any secondaries out yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. Was there a screen?

nope. according to MSAR, they send it to everyone. Morehouse is the one of the HBCUs that screens.

Good luck everyone. I am sending my in another hour.
:confused: Class of 2014 I just don't know where yet

Hi,
Has anyone received secondaries yet?Can someone please post the prompt?
Thanks.

It's just the generic prompt...they also ask a ton of questions seemingly to see if you fit inline with the mission of the school (multiple choice answer drop downs) regarding why you want to be a physician, what kind of practice, what kind of city/town, how long have you wanted to be a doctor etc. Some of these seem like trick questions lol...

Very similar overall to the morehouse secondary.

Please indicate why you wish to attend Meharry Medical College, School of Medicine?

does anyone know there average mcat scores, how many applications, how many interviews, how many acceptance, how many rejections for Meharry? Thanks

:confused: Class of 2014just do not know where yet!!

Its official submitted to meharry. I am just waiting for two more secondaries to be sent to me. I tell you it feels like watching paint dry.

:confused: Class of 2014 just not sure where yet!!!!!

Did anyone else have only the option of "SOM" in the drop down menu for "Year of desired matriculation"?

Did anyone else have only the option of "SOM" in the drop down menu for "Year of desired matriculation"?

Yeah. Aren't there multiple applications on there? I think the other options would be available by selecting the other applications.

In regards to the "medical practice you now contemplate." Can someone please explain me what exactly do they mean by Private group/Patnership. Does it mean private office in collaboration with other physicians? and for the HMO, do they mean working directly for the insurance company or accepting their insurance when you become a doctor? I know my questions are silly, but I would really like to go to their school and would not want to give an impression of working directly for HMO or insurance company. I dont mind seeing patients with their insurance at all. Thankyou in advance:).

In regards to the "medical practice you now contemplate." Can someone please explain me what exactly do they mean by Private group/Patnership. Does it mean private office in collaboration with other physicians? and for the HMO, do they mean working directly for the insurance company or accepting their insurance when you become a doctor? I know my questions are silly, but I would really like to go to their school and would not want to give an impression of working directly for HMO or insurance company. I dont mind seeing patients with their insurance at all. Thankyou in advance:).

I don't think this question has anything to do with accepting/not accepting HMO insurance. You're reading too far into it. I think they just want to know your preferences for the type of practice you think you'd work under. As far as the private group practice, I think that means joining a group of similar physicians such as "Oncology Associates of __________."

Yeah. Aren't there multiple applications on there? I think the other options would be available by selecting the other applications.

Oh, that makes sense...but I guess I was expecting something along the lines of 2009 or 2010 as options.

I don't think this question has anything to do with accepting/not accepting HMO insurance. You're reading too far into it. I think they just want to know your preferences for the type of practice you think you'd work under. As far as the private group practice, I think that means joining a group of similar physicians such as "Oncology Associates of __________."

Thakyou for replying and clarifying! :)

Do anyone posting here lives in tn nashville? If so is the capital only centered on country music

How long should the essay be??????

How long should the essay be??????

I'm usually of the mind that you should make your essay as long as you need it to be. My essays are probably short in comparison to most, because I usually write in a condensed way (which sucks for XX-paged assignments) and I don't like to BS much if I can help it. :rolleyes:

Do anyone posting here lives in tn nashville? If so is the capital only centered on country music

I lived in Nashville for 5 years and no, it is not only based on country music.

Any interview invites yet? Patience is not one of my virtues..

Can someone PM me the secondary prompt?

does anyone know when meharry will start sending out invites?

mine was about a page...cambria 12 single spaced. morehouse had a similar prompt and 1 page "limit" so I thought that wouldn't be too much

I was told Meharry does not Screen before sending out secondaries. Why did I receive the email below, some days ago?

"This E-mail is to acknowledge receipt of your 2010 AMCAS electronic application by Meharry Medical College. You will receive further communication after the initial review of your application has been completed."

I recieved the same email before they sent my secondary invite. I called and they said they do not screen before sending it. They want an essay why you want to attend there, start working on it so when they send the invite you are done with it. Good Luck

No invites yet... Patience is not one of mines either
I feel you guys, I have applied and been complete at Meharry as well but have yet to find out anything....I hope we all hear something good soon :xf:.......well i guess i have to sit back with the rest of you guys till then :whistle:

I feel you guys, I have applied and been complete at Meharry as well but have yet to find out anything....I hope we all hear something good soon :xf:.......well i guess i have to sit back with the rest of you guys till then :whistle:

The agony of waiting....still no invites...im trying to keep myself busy but the application process etches its way back in :/ argh

the best thing to do is start mock interviews so when they call you are ready

Does anyone know whether the status page should reflect whether they've received the LORs? Is there an update when you are considered complete?

They send you an email to let you know you are complete and being sent to review. as for the status page i think the info said you can check there but I do not remember

Does anyone know whether the status page should reflect whether they've received the LORs? Is there an update when you are considered complete?

Status
Not open for further replies.