2009-2010 Meharry Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so it looks like they have sent invites to dental students...not sure about the medical school yet tho

Members don't see this ad.

i know nothing about the school... The site doesnt really elaborate much... totally clueless as what to write about why I want to go there.. I am pretty much sure I applied there because my stats are not that high, although I can't really say that on my app... helppp!!!

there is a wealth of information about the school on the website, and the reason you are having trouble writing why you want to attend is because of your reason for applying. i thought about your comment for a while debating how to take it.... and the reason they accept "students with low stats" is due to the mission of the school which is on the website and the benefits of attending there is on the website, and also what you can expect to obtain during your 4 years there besides obviously your MD title is on the website and how you can fit into the class is on the website. everyone who is applying there wrote the same essay, and most of us recieved our information and committment to applying from info on the website. Shame on you for having the only reason as low stats apply to a carribean school and you are guaranteed a seat in one of them even with your low stats as long as you have the minimum requirements and good credit. :(:(

i know nothing about the school... The site doesnt really elaborate much... totally clueless as what to write about why I want to go there.. I am pretty much sure I applied there because my stats are not that high, although I can't really say that on my app... helppp!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
macduke09 did you go to iowa yet. you are right I sent the secondary the next day after the invite which is one of my quickest besides HUCM and still nothing.....I am getting nervous.....I probably wont get an invite from here the class size is so small compared to other schools I have applied to so th competition must be fierce. :xf::xf:

macduke09 did you go to iowa yet. you are right I sent the secondary the next day after the invite which is one of my quickest besides HUCM and still nothing.....I am getting nervous.....I probably wont get an invite from here the class size is so small compared to other schools I have applied to so th competition must be fierce. :xf::xf:

hey faith! did you apply to iowa as well?

No i could never go to iowa people are telling me that I should have they are trying to be minority friendly. Since I have a daughter it would be difficult to live there. I was referring to my secondaries at meharry.

hey faith! did you apply to iowa as well?

nope my interview is on Oct 21st...

and I agree with what you said before...if you read the mission statement (and that fits in line w/ what your goals are) then it shouldn't be hard to come up with. Meharry and Morehouse were actually my easiest "why our school" essays for me to write because I want to work w/ underserved populations. I actually did manage to find similar programs and opportunities at Iowa so I included that in my secondary for them as well...

and Meharry's class is larger than Morehouse so I think they might interview more people...but they do hold around 15-20 seats-ish for the post bac students (one of my friends is in it)

Just called Meharry first interview date is oct 30 they will send out invites middle of oct. Macduke09: great minds think a like when you are sincere and the question is straight forward the essay is easy. HUCM and Meharry were the ones with no games and word limits just you being sincere. How have you been practicing for interviews? i find myself talking to myself especially at the gym and in my car. Did you apply to Howard? i remember you said you have people at meharry are they happy there, and please tell me the truth do I need to get cowboy boots or can I still get jiggy wit it if I get accepted to there ( well I need an interview first) LOL:love::love:

YBFDOCTOR cool name.......did you apply to Howard too

Just called Meharry first interview date is oct 30 they will send out invites middle of oct. Macduke09: great minds think a like when you are sincere and the question is straight forward the essay is easy. HUCM and Meharry were the ones with no games and word limits just you being sincere. How have you been practicing for interviews? i find myself talking to myself especially at the gym and in my car. Did you apply to Howard? i remember you said you have people at meharry are they happy there, and please tell me the truth do I need to get cowboy boots or can I still get jiggy wit it if I get accepted to there ( well I need an interview first)LOL:love::love:

they like it lol...at first I was kinda like eeeehhh nashville! But I was pleasantly surprised, it's pretty nice especially in the area where my friend lives, I enjoyed myself when I visited. Most of the students live in the same area...and when I say that I mean lots of people live in the same complex! And the class is pretty close...especially the post bac ppl obviously since the class is smaller.

I applied to Howard late, so I haven't sent in my secondary yet since I just got it last Friday...I'm not thrilled by them lol, from undergrad to med school but obviously I'd go if I got in....and when I say that I don't mean their mission statement I just mean how they run things and their administration I think they could use A LOT of improvement.

Just called Meharry first interview date is oct 30 they will send out invites middle of oct. Macduke09: great minds think a like when you are sincere and the question is straight forward the essay is easy. HUCM and Meharry were the ones with no games and word limits just you being sincere. How have you been practicing for interviews? i find myself talking to myself especially at the gym and in my car. Did you apply to Howard? i remember you said you have people at meharry are they happy there, and please tell me the truth do I need to get cowboy boots or can I still get jiggy wit it if I get accepted to there ( well I need an interview first)LOL:love::love:

LOL!!! you are too much! i hope we get to meet somewhere on the interview trail. i just sent in my howard app, but i'm still waiting on one LOR until i can be complete. i sent in my meharry app a few days ago, so hopefully i'll get to interview with the first batch of students. meharry seems like a great, well organized school.

hey...i know im a bit late in the game..but i was wondering how long were your secondaries for meharry? single or double spaced?

Members don't see this ad :)
Its never to late especially since they did not start interviews yet.....I did single space and 1.25 pages when I asked meharry they said 1 to 2 is fine just make sure you answer the question and use life experiences or future goals and tie it all in with the mission good luck :xf:

hey...i know im a bit late in the game..but i was wondering how long were your secondaries for meharry? single or double spaced?

I hope to meet you to the great thing about hucm they will review your app even if you don't have all lor and then when they invite you tell you if they have them all or not where are you from....

LOL!!! you are too much! i hope we get to meet somewhere on the interview trail. i just sent in my howard app, but i'm still waiting on one LOR until i can be complete. i sent in my meharry app a few days ago, so hopefully i'll get to interview with the first batch of students. meharry seems like a great, well organized school.

I hope to meet you to the great thing about hucm they will review your app even if you don't have all lor and then when they invite you tell you if they have them all or not where are you from....

i am from phoenix, az. it's a long way from DC or any of those east coast cities or really any city that has a large population of black people LOL!

I wanted to move there but there is only one stae school and so i was considering do. I heard it is really nice there. did you have your interview at your school yet? It is good that you applied early so that you have a better chance of being looked at as a whole person. I wanted to apply to tulane but i chickened out I love New orleans

i am from phoenix, az. it's a long way from DC or any of those east coast cities or really any city that has a large population of black people LOL!

i am applying to here too but i dont know i will get in. Most of the matriculants are black with only a few hispanics.

Last edited:
i am applying to here too but i dont i will get in. Most of the matriculants are black with only a few hispanics.

The only way you'll know if you'll get in is to apply. I personally don't think you're at a disadvantage being hispanic...especially if you fit in line with the mission of the school which also includes providing opportunities to URM (not just blacks) and individuals w/ disadvantaged backgrounds. I wouldn't get too caught up on the number of matriculants, because that isn't indicative of the number of hispanic applicants or the number of hispanic applicants who were accepted.

This school looks at your whole app. So there is hope for all of us. :):xf:

finally submitted this bad boy! lol Now i get to hop on the waiting boat

Nice 2 have u on board...now u can stress out with the rest of us lol but u will also b a doctor like the rest of us

So no one has gotten an interview invite? I wonder when will they start sending them out. I also wonder if they're always this slow with everything.

So no one has gotten an interview invite? I wonder when will they start sending them out. I also wonder if they're always this slow with everything.

I'm also a bit worried.... haven't received any invites yet. Hopefully October 15 does mean something.

I am curious too why they waited so long maybe its better because looking at the interview posts from last year they had late invites and interviews.:love::love::love: Oct 15 is next week so enjoy the weekend

Interview invite today as well for 10/30, I am really excited. Thank you Jesus.

Congrats for the invites to everyone good luck.

Hey all, I recently recieved my "complete app" email from Meharry but haven't heard anything about an interview... Hope they haven't forgot about me... Congrats to those of you who have secured interview spots, hopefully I'll be next... hopefully!

Hey all, I recently recieved my "complete app" email from Meharry but haven't heard anything about an interview... Hope they haven't forgot about me... Congrats to those of you who have secured interview spots, hopefully I'll be next... hopefully!

apparently they just started sending out invites a couple of days ago so I wouldn't worry! hopefully the invites will keep coming :thumbup:

good luck everyone, hopefully our paths will cross along the interview trail and in school next year!

anyone would like to share GPA/MCAT scores? i'm interested in applying but not sure if my stats are too low. i'm an international student with cgpa ~ 3.55, mcat 27m.

I applied here too.
MCAT 36 M
GPA 3.96

But I doubt that this school places too much emphasis on stats. They are more focused on why you want to be a doctor and your ECs. So a person with a 26 is on the same playing field with a person with a 36. That is what I think at least from what I read above.

Last edited:
Complete as of yesterday!:D Waiting for the interview now!!!

GOD IS AWESOME!!! Interview Invite for Nov. 2nd. Just FYI for anyone who is still waiting, I was complete on 9/18. Good luck to all.

GOD IS AWESOME!!! Interview Invite for Nov. 2nd. Just FYI for anyone who is still waiting, I was complete on 9/18. Good luck to all.
did you get the invitation by e-mail or by regular mail? got my application complete on 9/21

did you get the invitation by e-mail or by regular mail? got my application complete on 9/21

I received an e-mail. I'm pretty sure you're going to get something soon, because our dates of completion are so close. :D

thanks favored for cheering me up... I really like Meharry - is my school choice #1 and I would be soooooooo greatful to get in there. I am concerned that I won't get an interview, cuz my stats are not that great: 3.4 gpa and 28N. I heard people having 34S being concerned about their stats. Do I have any chances with my numbers? Anyone who got an interview at Meharry, how did your stats look like?
I got volunteering experiences at two hospitals and a shadowing experience, I am not sure how much these would help me....any help?

complete since yesterday. Lets see how things goes

thanks favored for cheering me up... I really like Meharry - is my school choice #1 and I would be soooooooo greatful to get in there. I am concerned that I won't get an interview, cuz my stats are not that great: 3.4 gpa and 28N. I heard people having 34S being concerned about their stats. Do I have any chances with my numbers? Anyone who got an interview at Meharry, how did your stats look like?
I got volunteering experiences at two hospitals and a shadowing experience, I am not sure how much these would help me....any help?

I believe Meharry's median MCAT of accepted students is 25. With a 28, you're in a good position.

For the secondary application under Personal data, there was a question that wanted you to rank 9 things from highest to lowest about the medical practice we desire.

They are:

a. Private group/partnership
b. Hospital based group
c. Individual
d. Full-time teaching and/or academic research
e. Public Health
f. Health Maintenance Organizations
g. Health Policy
h. Medical Administration
i. Undecided

Can somebody please tell me how these things would make a difference and what items e, f, g, and h are?

Thank you!

For the secondary application under Personal data, there was a question that wanted you to rank 9 things from highest to lowest about the medical practice we desire.

They are:

a. Private group/partnership
b. Hospital based group
c. Individual
d. Full-time teaching and/or academic research
e. Public Health
f. Health Maintenance Organizations
g. Health Policy
h. Medical Administration
i. Undecided

Can somebody please tell me how these things would make a difference and what items e, f, g, and h are?

Thank you!

Working in public health is probably referring to working for a health department. A Health Maintenance Organization is a health insurance company that is cheaper than usual but has many more limitations, they're commonly called HMOs. Health Policy would again be working in some sort of health department or lobbying Congress, and medical administration is management in hospitals, etc.

They want to know these things because they want to make sure you are a good fit with their mission. If you were to express interest in working for an HMO or being a hospital administrator, they'll probably decide that you don't fit their mission and not accept you.

INVITE for NOV 16th I am happy to be thought of but I am not going I already have the seat I want for everyone on this thread I wish you well and I hope we become colleagues. We have all worked so hard and just knowing that next year I will be sitting in class chokes me up. I know that you will be there too:xf::xf:

Accepted 2014 :love::love::love:

INVITE for NOV 16th I am happy to be thought of but I am not going I already have the seat I want for everyone on this thread I wish you well and I hope we become colleagues. We have all worked so hard and just knowing that next year I will be sitting in class chokes me up. I know that you will be there too:xf::xf:

Accepted 2014 :love::love::love:

Well if you are not going can you give me your invite so I can go instead.

Interview invite as well. But unfortunately I am not going either. Interviewing has taken a toll on me physically and financially. Goodluck to everyone else, hope one of you get my invite.:)

congrats on the interviews even if you guys aren't going! do you remember when you were complete?!

Interview invite as well. But unfortunately I am not going either. Interviewing has taken a toll on me physically and financially. Goodluck to everyone else, hope one of you get my invite.:)

Please, please give me your interview invite!!!!!!!!!!:)

Is there a status page where we can see our actual status instead of that "payment sent and confirmed" page? Or, does the interview invite just show up in your email? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.