2009-2010 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

1. Incorporating your education, experiences and background, tell us how you could contribute to a discussion of cultural competence. (350 word limit)

2. What is your specific interest in The University of Arizona College of Medicine? What opportunities would you take advantage of as one of our medical students? (350 word limit)

3. Briefly describe a research project, service activity or patient care experience in which you have participated and what lessons this taught you? (350 word limit)

4. The University of Arizona College of Medicine is committed to building a dynamic educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. How would you as an individual contribute uniquely to our medical community? (350 word limit)

LOR Reqs

Applicants are asked to submit three letters of recommendation from individuals who know them well and can attest to their fitness for the medical profession. Applicants who submit a composite pre-professional committee letter from their school may submit two additional letters of recommendation, but are not required to do so. Applicants who have participated in clinical activities and/or academic research are encouraged to include recommendation letters from their clinical or community service supervisor and/or research mentors.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know much about their new policy towards OOS applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know much about their new policy towards OOS applicants?

I think they address it on their website, but from what I hear OOS will be up to 25% of the class. I am not 100% sure of that though, so check the website. I feel like they sort of made themselves open to OOS kind of last second this year.

I think they address it on their website, but from what I hear OOS will be up to 25% of the class. I am not 100% sure of that though, so check the website. I feel like they sort of made themselves open to OOS kind of last second this year.

Yah but all i could gather was that up to 25% could be OOS, i was a Az resident and i have family there, im hoping that counts for something as an OOS resident lol. If not ah well. Guess ill find out in the coming months. Gotta love 110+ summers :)

Yah but all i could gather was that up to 25% could be OOS, i was a Az resident and i have family there, im hoping that counts for something as an OOS resident lol. If not ah well. Guess ill find out in the coming months. Gotta love 110+ summers :)

What? That wasn't in the MSAR!

This is basically all the website says:

For many years, The University of Arizona College of Medicine Admissions Policy has been to consider only Arizona residents; highly qualified WICHE applicants from Montana or Wyoming; and Native Americans who reside on reservations contiguous with the state of Arizona. Effective fall 2009, with applications for the class of 2014 (matriculating in 2010), highly qualified non-resident applicants from the United States or with permanent resident visa status will be considered for as much as 25 percent of the incoming first-year class for each campus.

Then there's this note under the tuition section:

Please note: Non-resident tuition and fees beginning with the academic year 2010 - 2011 are to be announced.

Definitely seemed last minute, and the lack of information shows.

What? That wasn't in the MSAR!
ahha dude the summers were so hot it was insane where I was. i mean 115 is not uncommon. I melted as i walked true story ;). Though maybe its cooler in tuscon or phoenix? I lived like 3-4 hours from there closer to the cali/az border.

ahha dude the summers were so hot it was insane where I was. i mean 115 is not uncommon. I melted as i walked true story ;). Though maybe its cooler in tuscon or phoenix? I lived like 3-4 hours from there closer to the cali/az border.

The heat is one of the main reasons I have almost no interest in going to UA. Also, I have lived in the Phoenix area (Tempe actually) my entire life, so I am ready for a change.

Thats the same reason UA is one of the last schools I want to go to. Its nice for the 8 months during the school year, but I'd like to see clouds and snow once in my life.

They will be doing a 'hard screen' for secondaries for OOS based on numbers which have yet to be determined, same with tuition, and there is not yet a list of the considerations for OOS. They do not yet know if ties to the state will help or not....I guess it can't hurt!

Members don't see this ad :)
They will be doing a 'hard screen' for secondaries for OOS based on numbers which have yet to be determined, same with tuition, and there is not yet a list of the considerations for OOS. They do not yet know if ties to the state will help or not....I guess it can't hurt!

ah well if i get screened w/e. 30 bucks down the drain :(

If that's the only reason then you'll probably be paying for those clouds and snow, in the form of hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt.

It won't be hundreds of thousands of more dollars in debt, but yes it will be more depending where you go. However, I am ready for a change, and if I find some where that is a better fit, then that is worth the money to me.

If that's the only reason then you'll probably be paying for those clouds and snow, in the form of hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt.

Yeah its the change more than anything. Ive been in AZ for 20 years. I understand the debt deal. Plus, Tucson is no Chicago or Boston etc...
Also, Go Devils.

It's my understanding that Tucson is normally a few degrees cooler than Phoenix. I actually don't find the summers that bad. At least you don't have the ridiculous humidity of the East Coast and South along with high temps.

And taking a winter vacation to play in the snow is more appealing to me than shoveling it from your driveway and sidewalk months in a row and watching it turn into dirty snow on the roadways and avoiding mansize potholes from all the salt ;)

But I can certainly appreciate that someone who's been in AZ for 20 years might be ready for a change. The desert is not for everyone, that's for sure.

Anyway, it looks like the waitlist has stalled and I will be reapplying this cycle. Good luck to everyone!

Anyway, it looks like the waitlist has stalled and I will be reapplying this cycle. Good luck to everyone!

Sorry to hear the waitlist didn't pan out for you, but hopefully you will have better luck this cycle with the rest of us.

Anyone know what last year's secondary essay topics were? I don't feel like searching through last year's massive thread.

Here are last year's prompts:

Incorporating your education, experiences and background, tell us how you could contribute to a discussion of cultural competence. (Limit: 500 characters)

What, if any, new experiences (i.e. clinical, community, academic, research, publications, travel, etc.) have you become involved since the submission of your AMCAS application?

Briefly describe a research project, service activity or patient care experience in which you have participated and what lessons this taught you? (Limit: 500 characters)

Anyone know what last year's secondary essay topics were? I don't feel like searching through last year's massive thread.
considering that this is the 1st year they are taking oos applicants though, do you think that the secondary will change a lot? Im thinking it will or at least they will add some secondary essay for oos ppl?

considering that this is the 1st year they are taking oos applicants though, do you think that the secondary will change a lot? Im thinking it will or at least they will add some secondary essay for oos ppl?

My guess is they might add something for the OOS people, but I have no clue. I am guessing it will mostly be the same. I don't know though.

It's just speculation at this point, we'll find out soon though. Last year's secondary was so short it could hardly give any idea of the applicant, basically just two paragraphs that had to cover pretty substantial topics. It doesn't seem like these two little paragraphs can really give the ADCOM any basis for offering an interview for OOS folks. Maybe they're just relying on AMCAS since it is a pretty comprehensive picture in and of itself.

I bolded short because that is what stood out to me the most. I like short. In fact, I hope all of my secondaries are short. Maybe it is all the heat here in Tempe (actually it has been quite cool for this time of year), but I just don't feel like busting out a bunch of secondary essays that take forever to write. I completely agree that AMCAS is pretty darn comprehensive, and I think they can get enough info from it alone.

just got the 2ndary today, any idea how heavily OOS are screened? Im sort of confused by the new OOS policy wanted to make sure. wow this thing has a lot of long prompts :(. For those interested, i already pm ksmi but here are the prompts.

.1...How does your education, expierence and background demonstrate that you have the ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures? (Limit: 350 words).

.2...What is your specific interest in The University of Arizona College of Medicine? What opportunities would you take advantage of as one of our medical students? (Limit: 350 words) .

.3...Briefly describe a research project, service activity or patient care experience in which you have participated and what lessons this taught you? (Limit: 350 words).

.4...The University of Arizona College of Medicine is committed to building a dynamic educational community with students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds. How would you as an individual contribute uniquely to our medical community? (Limit: 350 words).

Last edited:
Yeah its not very cool. And what is with the domicile affidavit? Does everyone have to fill that out?

Yeah its not very cool. And what is with the domicile affidavit? Does everyone have to fill that out?
what is a domicile affidavit? Anyways the 2ndary overall looked short, it was only 3 pages, its just the essays that look killer. Also im OOS so if that has to do with residency maybe tahts why i saw nothing like that.

BTW it seems no one has AZ love lol:(. Maybe im just crazy. I enjoyed it while i lived there. Outside of dieing in the summers.

Last edited:
Four essays? Seriously? This is by far the longest secondary I have had!

How have I not gotten this secondary yet? I'm an AZ resident too.

What time did the email find its way into your inboxes?

i got this one too! how hard is it to make it through the screening here? and this is going to kill me this weekend along with all the other ones i have :boom:

It was in my inbox around 9:15.

I don't think I am even going to start this secondary until this weekend. It looks like a good part of my Saturday will be going to this bad boy.

got it at 9:14. Dont Az residents basically automatically get this?

got it at 9:14. Dont Az residents basically automatically get this?

I'm pretty sure if you are IS you get this automatically. I think they even used to interview almost everyone from in-state.

I'm pretty sure if you are IS you get this automatically. I think they even used to interview almost everyone from in-state.
thats what i thought...hopefully the OOS screen is tough then i can feel better about this lol. That or maybe since i used to be an AZ resident they just counted me as one anyways?

thats what i thought...hopefully the OOS screen is tough then i can feel better about this lol. That or maybe since i used to be an AZ resident they just counted me as one anyways?

i hope it was tough too, i have nothing relating AZ in my primary and i got it today ;)

wtf I was told this was going to be a really quick-and-easy secondary (at least that's what friends told me from last year). What's with the 4 prompts??? Also, I'm told that everyone gets an interview... does this apply to OOS applicants too? if so, how important are these essays really =p

Last edited:
boo, i'm OOS and no email for me :(

maybe I got screened out? but what are the criteria/numbers for screening?

wtf I was told this was going to be a really quick-and-easy secondary (at least that's what friends told me from last year). What's with the 4 prompts??? Also, I'm told that everyone gets an interview... if so, how important are these essays really =p

Last year's prompt was easy from what I heard too. The four essays is too much. I have only had two essays from any of my other schools. I think at least one of the essays I can copy and paste from my Pitt secondary. The hard part is that I have been in AZ my entire life, so I was hoping medical school could at least be four years of living elsewhere. Therefore I am not really that interested in going here.

wtf I was told this was going to be a really quick-and-easy secondary (at least that's what friends told me from last year). What's with the 4 prompts??? Also, I'm told that everyone gets an interview... if so, how important are these essays really =p
not everyone gets an interview.....If you are an Az state resident near everyone gets an interview but not everyone.

I talked to someone in admissions today. I guess they are sending out the secondaries in batches. They are currently reviewing the applications and I guess they are putting both IS and OOS applicants through a screening process in order to determine if they will give them a secondary or not.

hey everyone i just got the secondary this morning. i am OOS. LizzyM score 67.

ugh this is the worst 2ndary ive done so far, i hate the 1st question, everything i write sucks for it :(

I'm IS and still haven't gotten this secondary. Come on UofA...!

ugh this is the worst 2ndary ive done so far, i hate the 1st question, everything i write sucks for it :(

I'm pretty sure two of the essays I already wrote for other schools I can use for two of these. Otherwise, I would not be very happy about this secondary. Four essays is a lot.

When did you all submit your primary? I added UofA late so I'm hoping that's why I don't have an email!!

What is the deal with this Domicile Affidavit? I remember seeing it mentioned earlier, but I don't remember any answers to what it is. It looks like it is to prove our residency in AZ, but how quickly do we have to have it sent in? I don't see an address on it either, where do we send it?

Status
Not open for further replies.