2009-2010 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just submitted this secondary! That thing was pretty beastly, but I somehow busted it out today. I can't believe the secondary fee is $100!!! Does anyone know if that is that only if you are applying to both schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Up until this year they interviewed everyone (well, every Arizona resident) with an MCAT>22. Nobody knows what the factors are this year since its the first year they're even considering non WICHE OOS at all.

And last year's secondary was nothing compared to this year's. I posted the prompts from last year's earlier in this thread, there were only two "essay" prompts... but the responses were limited to 500 characters.

After looking at their website, it seems like they changed it to anybody with a 22 or above on the MCAT gets a secondary. I think they are probably making up the rest as they go, because they can't really know how many OOS applicants will apply there (especially since they seemed to open it up to OOS kind of last minute). Based soley off of Arizona's proximity to California, I think there might be a pretty decent number of OOS applicants. This may be part of the reason they added two more essays to the secondary, so only serious OOS students complete it. IS applicants are most likely going to complete it regardless if for no other reason than U of A being the state medical school.

I'm OOS and didn't receive a secondary.... think I got screened out already?

Members don't see this ad :)

Me neither yet... but since we haven't even been acknowledged I think it's too soon to say. I submitted AZ on around 6/27, you?

Me neither yet... but since we haven't even been acknowledged I think it's too soon to say. I submitted AZ on around 6/27, you?

Don't be discourage yet. This is directly from the website:

"Screening: The UA College of Medicine will consider only applicants with a total MCAT score of 22 or higher. Applicants who fall below this standard will be informed of their status upon receipt of the AMCAS application by the Admissions Office and will be encouraged to retake the MCAT. Note: Sept. 12, 2009 is the latest exam we will accept."

I think this means that all applicants with 22 or above will get the secondary. They probably just haven't gotten to you yet. You will get it soon enough, and then soon enough you too will get to pay the $100 secondary fee.

I had AZ on my list when I was verified on 6/2.

Don't be discourage yet. This is directly from the website:

"Screening: The UA College of Medicine will consider only applicants with a total MCAT score of 22 or higher. Applicants who fall below this standard will be informed of their status upon receipt of the AMCAS application by the Admissions Office and will be encouraged to retake the MCAT. Note: Sept. 12, 2009 is the latest exam we will accept."

I think this means that all applicants with 22 or above will get the secondary. They probably just haven't gotten to you yet. You will get it soon enough, and then soon enough you too will get to pay the $100 secondary fee.

hopefully you are right! but Elijah said he got one, and he's OOS....oh but I think he said he strong ties or something, but then again how would they know that before the secondary? (sorry, me just thinking out loud/while typing :laugh:)

I had AZ on my list when I was verified on 6/2.

hopefully you are right! but Elijah said he got one, and he's OOS....oh but I think he said he strong ties or something, but then again how would they know that before the secondary? (sorry, me just thinking out loud/while typing :laugh:)
I wrote a short blurb on some things in AZ in my PS thats how they would know (also an acitivty on my primary app) if they bothered to read it, but who knows. Everyone has a 22 mcat so basically everyone gets a 2ndary lol. I would not worry at all...i bet they are going to be flooded with 4000 applications from cali kids like me alone deperate to stay near our state.

I wrote a short blurb on some things in AZ in my PS thats how they would know (also an acitivty on my primary app) if they bothered to read it, but who knows. Everyone has a 22 mcat so basically everyone gets a 2ndary lol. I would not worry at all...i bet they are going to be flooded with 4000 applications from cali kids like me alone deperate to stay near our state.

well I go to U of A and I still haven't gotten one so no one worry...I would consider my ties to Arizona pretty strong...

Does anybody know what the GPA screen is? Is it only 3.5 or higher coupled with a >22? Aw man

Does anybody know what the GPA screen is? Is it only 3.5 or higher coupled with a >22? Aw man

I didn't see anything on their website about a GPA screening component, so I don't know that they screen based on GPA. If they do screen with GPA, I highly doubt it is 3.5 as the cutoff.

I didn't see anything on their website about a GPA screening component, so I don't know that they screen based on GPA. If they do screen with GPA, I highly doubt it is 3.5 as the cutoff.
if you look at the stats UA accepts they are quite low, like irk said <3.5 should be fine for the 2ndary.

i hear the phx campus is in a former high school.... sketch

anyone notice they changed the 1st queestion to "

1. Incorporating your education, experiences and background, tell us how you could contribute to a discussion of cultural competence. (Limit: 350 words)"

wth:confused:

Its still like the same thing right? I dont like this question at all:(

Members don't see this ad :)

1. Incorporating your education, experiences and background, tell us how you could contribute to a discussion of cultural competence. (Limit: 350 words)"

I hope this doesn't affect me, I submitted on Monday. I think the same answer for either version of this question will work though. It seems like a very bad thing for them to change the question on us though. If they weren't ready with all the questions on the secondary, they shouldn't have sent it out last week.

it's pretty much the same thing, no worries haha

Did anyone from OOS get a secondary yet? If so, when did your primary get verified? I'm surprised I haven't heard back from this school yet.

Did anyone from OOS get a secondary yet? If so, when did your primary get verified? I'm surprised I haven't heard back from this school yet.

i did & i was verified back in June so if you recently submitted dont worry too much :)

I was verified in june and do not have a secondary yet... maybe I got screened out :(

I just got it today (verified on 7/2).

Hey,

I got their secondary invite today and I'm OOS (Verified 6/22). But when I enter in my AMCAS ID# and birth date to log in, it says there's an error and I need to check my ID and birth date again. WTHECK!

Did anyone else get this? :confused:

Hey,

I got their secondary invite today and I'm OOS (Verified 6/22). But when I enter in my AMCAS ID# and birth date to log in, it says there's an error and I need to check my ID and birth date again. WTHECK!

Did anyone else get this? :confused:

I received the secondary invite today as well. OOS. If you read the email, it says to wait a day to login to the application. haha

I received the secondary invite today as well. OOS. If you read the email, it says to wait a day to login to the application. haha

Did you guys make any statements about "ties to Arizona" since your oos? My AMCAS is not verified yet, but I dont know how to communicate that to the school exactly. Did you guys worry about that before getting the email?

Did you guys make any statements about "ties to Arizona" since your oos? My AMCAS is not verified yet, but I dont know how to communicate that to the school exactly. Did you guys worry about that before getting the email?

I didn't mention anything about Arizona in mine.

My dad, a surgeon, is urging me to go to Tucson and not Phoenix.

He says the Phoenix campus is like a DO school, with students rotating private doctors in a disorganized, haphazard way..

is this true?

i had a sub 3.5, low 30s, OOS and i got the secondary. so its not too strict i think.

Oh, mine didn't say anything about waiting a day (received the invite on Monday). It reads:

"Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your interest in The University of Arizona College of Medicine! We are pleased to invite you to complete the secondary application, which will help us learn a bit more about you.

Your attention to detail is critical as you complete the secondary application, as several items require your immediate attention. The deadline to submit your secondary application is January 15, 2010. Extensions are not granted.

Applying to medical school takes an immense amount of commitment, energy and patience. Do not hesitate to contact either of us at any point during the process when you have questions or concerns.

To access the Secondary Application please go to:
http://www.admissions.medicine.arizona.edu/app2/index.cfm

We look forward to the 2010 application season and wish you the best.

Tanisha Price-Johnson, MEd
Director Admissions
College of Medicine
(520) 626-6214
[email protected]"

But I did call the admissions office today, and they reassured me to wait 24 hours haha. BUT it's been well over 24 hours for me. I guess I'll call back tomorrow if it exceeds 48 hours.

You don't need to particularly communicate that you have ties to this school. If you read their website, it says they will be more open to accepting OOS, up to 25%. It also says they will strictly screen for OOS (don't know how strict is strict).

My DD was verified on July 10th and received the secondary on July 24th

You don't need to particularly communicate that you have ties to this school. If you read their website, it says they will be more open to accepting OOS, up to 25%. It also says they will strictly screen for OOS (don't know how strict is strict).

Yeah I guess. I got a great answer for it though...wish they would ask me! haha

For those who are AZ residents, when you filled out your application, were you able to click "Yes" for the question "Do you consider yourself a resident of Arizona"? The field is blocked out, so I can't choose Yes or No, but it does say that my state of residence is AZ below that question. Just curious. Thanks.

For those who are AZ residents, when you filled out your application, were you able to click "Yes" for the question "Do you consider yourself a resident of Arizona"? The field is blocked out, so I can't choose Yes or No, but it does say that my state of residence is AZ below that question. Just curious. Thanks.

It was blocked out for me, but I think it had the yes already selected. I think it knows your state of primary residence from AMCAS, so they don't even bother giving you the option.

I wish they were all as short as two. The UCLA one has 9 :(

9 essays? That would make me not apply right there. Maybe I am lazy (actually I just hate writing essays), but it just wouldn't seem worth it to me. What information that UCLA needs could possibly warrant 9 essays. I think a properly filled out primary application is pretty much all a medical school really needs, and if they want some more info two essays will suffice.

I got the secondary, but I can't log in. I put in my AAMC ID and my birth date, but it keeps saying there is an error and to double check my ID and birth date. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

And how strict are they on the word limit? If I'm a few words over, will it matter?

Thanks!

I got the secondary, but I can't log in. I put in my AAMC ID and my birth date, but it keeps saying there is an error and to double check my ID and birth date. Has anyone else had trouble with this?

And how strict are they on the word limit? If I'm a few words over, will it matter?

Thanks!

Some one else said something about it saying to wait a day before signing in, but I don't know. Mine worked right away.

You can't be over any words, if I recall correctly they have a word counter that locks you out at exactly 350 words. Its kind of frustrating. Two of my essays ended up being exactly 350 words.

by the way, these essay topics suck
lol yes they do, its not my best work but i just dont know how to make it amazing..i just sent it in now praying for the best. The 1st question is imo the worst question ive done on any 2ndary period.

lol yes they do, its not my best work but i just dont know how to make it amazing..i just sent it in now praying for the best. The 1st question is imo the worst question ive done on any 2ndary period.

haha ditto! I dunno if I'm just burned out or what (this is my second-to-last secondary), but these essays are not even close to my best work....

Can someone please upload the residency affidavit? :(

I'm unable to access it, and I'm contacting the UA admissions office about it.

Thanks!

BTW: Anyone gotten an interview date yet? How long is the turnaround between secondary received and interview date?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do research at the Phoenix campus, and if I didn't want to get out of the valley I would probably choose it instead of Tucson. Its a former high school, but probably one of the nicest high schools you'll ever see. Its on the edge of downtown Phoenix, which isn't very spectacular, but if you're from LA you'll be worshiping the streets for the lack of traffic (I was there this weekend, 2 days was enough.) The class seems like a big family, and every year the research faculty and staff come to welcome the new students and get to know them. Its pretty different, but kinda cool. I don't know much about the DO resemblance, but its a ton better than Western U (DO) which I visited this weekend.

Is there anyone who is IS who has not gotten this secondary yet besides me? I'm really starting to worry now.

Last edited:
Is there anyone who is IS who has not gotten this secondary yet besides me? I'm really starting to worry now. I've got a 3.5/35 and I already have 4 interview invites to other schools, but no love yet from U of A.
Considering i think all in state residents get a 2ndary, i would not worry. Especially with those stats, UA will certainly look at you just give it time. They may be more innundated then they thought with OOS apps or something and things might be behind. I can almost guarantee they are getting thousands of cali applicants who desperate to stay somehwat close to home.

Is there anyone who is IS who has not gotten this secondary yet besides me? I'm really starting to worry now. I've got a 3.5/35 and I already have 4 interview invites to other schools, but no love yet from U of A.

4 interview invites? forget UofA and they're 80% step 1 pass rate! hahah

Edit: ok I guess it wasn't apparent that I was just joking^^ UofA is tight!

What's your "hook" into UofA per se?

I have a friend who got into Stanford and was denied at UofA. BTW: He later did cardiology at ucsf and then came back to practice in phoenix, supposedly an east valley cardiology group with DO interviewers denied him entrance. Lol

[Supposedly, Arizona is notorious for denying overqualified applicants who cannot demonstrate a firm affinity to be in az. I went to college in CA, but I did research at the arizona cancer center and am enclosing letters from 2 UofA medical school professors, one a regents professor so hopefully that will demonstrate something? Both work in oncology.]

anyone else getting an error message after finishing the first page of the secondary?

I'm not sure if they still practice that, but the story you mention must be from almost 10 years ago and admissions is drastically different today than it was then. When I applied to UofA, I had lived in Arizona for a total of less than 7 months so I had virtually no ties to here.
not to mention the fact that they are now taking OOS i would assume means they do not put as much emphasis on ties as they used to...though obvious preference is still given.

woohoo! just got my secondary! a little bit of inconvenient timing because i have to work tomorrow and it is my last day before heading back to school but oh well...

woohoo! just got my secondary! a little bit of inconvenient timing because i have to work tomorrow and it is my last day before heading back to school but oh well...

yay nice! i have been sitting on mine for about 2 weeks now :(

i have recently reached my essay writing threshold :p

woot come here so i can have my alaskan dog sledding party...ahah :p

Hey - Do instate residents still get guaranteed interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.