2009-2010 University of California - Los Angeles (UCLA) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

800 character limit for each question.

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your legacy is forever cemented in the annals of SDN history.

I read somewhere on the site that 3rd time applicants are discouraged... Does that mean you have no chance or what? I've added a lot of ECs since the 2nd app, applying early, increased my mcat from 31 to 36... i would hate if my #1 choice is an auto-rejection...

Members don't see this ad :)
Which is the school that most students (especially OOS) that people apply to? i.e. Geffen, Drew, UCR, PRIME?

Yay UCLA! One of my top choices for sure.

Which is the school that most students (especially OOS) that people apply to? i.e. Geffen, Drew, UCR, PRIME?
prime is working with hispanic or mexican populations, i believe you need to be fleunt in spanish for it, or at least become fluent in 4 years you are there. Drew is for disadvantaged applicants/minorities. UCR is only for students who attended UCR. You would apply to geffen as an OOS most likely.

Yay UCLA! One of my top choices for sure.
u and everyone else in this state lol

Yea, Geffen is the one people are generally talking about when they say "UCLA med school."

PRIME and Drew are 2 smaller, focused programs that UCLA offers which may or may not interest you. The majority of applicants probably apply to Geffen only.

Are there two separate secondary threads for Drew and Geffen?

UCLA is looking like my top 3 choice school right now.:thumbup:

We could make a seperate DREW thread...

What's the difference between Drew and Geffen? Are they both just plain old MD schools? Is there a reason to only apply to one?

What's the difference between Drew and Geffen? Are they both just plain old MD schools? Is there a reason to only apply to one?
drew is for minority/disadvantaged applicants basically. Their whole mission is to serve poor underserved areas. Heres their mission "The College of Medicine at Charles Drew University offers a stimulating and challenging environment to anyone interested in changing the cycle of poor health and disease that characterize disadvantaged populations, particularly those of the inner cities."

Geffen is just the normal md school that everyone applies too.

Members don't see this ad :)
drew is for minority/disadvantaged applicants basically. Their whole mission is to serve poor underserved areas. Heres their mission "The College of Medicine at Charles Drew University offers a stimulating and challenging environment to anyone interested in changing the cycle of poor health and disease that characterize disadvantaged populations, particularly those of the inner cities."

Geffen is just the normal md school that everyone applies too.

Segregation FTW!!!!! LoL

Whew, close call. I applied to Geffen, I would have been out 31 bucks if I had applied to Drew. Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't say that Drew is only for disadvantaged/minority applicants, anyone can apply and get in, just that their mission is to help the urban underserved of LA. They do their first two years at the UCLA main campus along with the rest of the class, but their cliinical years are done at different hospitals, the main one being Charles Drew Hospital in the inner city.

You apply to both separately, they each have their own secondaries and interviews. don't apply to UCR program unless you are a UCR undergrad.

they are reviewing apps now, i have no secondary (status page blank) but im sure some of those 3.8 36+ mcat peeps might get some quick secondaries like they did at UCSF and UCSD.

I'm a 3.8/36 and I haven't gotten a single secondary from a UC :(

Just got this from UCLA:

We have been notified by the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) that you have designated the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA as one of your choice schools.

Our Admissions Committee will be conducting the preliminary review of all our applicants through the month of February. Any additional information such as supplemental information, transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc. will be requested after initial review. Beginning June 2009, David Geffen School of Medicine will only be accepting letters of recommendation via AMCAS.

Please be assured that all precautions have been taken to give your credentials a fair and complete evaluation.

You may check the status of your application via the 2010 Application Status web site. This site is updated weekly. The link for the status web site is located at the following location: http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/prospective. You will need your AMCAS identification number, birth date, and the last four digits of your Social Security number in order to access the status page.

Please do not forward additional material until instructed by the Admissions Committee.

i just got an email saying my app was received, but no secondary..

I'm a 3.8/36 and I haven't gotten a single secondary from a UC :(
I feel your pain. 3.7/36 and no love. What I really need to do is get off these boards and stop comparing myself to the people with ridiculous stats who live on here.

^^ me neither. hopefully, they also send out emails when we get secondaries, instead of checking the website that's updated weekly...

I'm still waiting. Come on secondary.

finally, this is the first UC at which I get my email the same time as other people. anyone get a secondary yet?

finally, this is the first UC at which I get my email the same time as other people. anyone get a secondary yet?

:xf:. UCLA is like one of my very top choices. Vey top.

yeah 3.92/36 and no secondaries at all. when did you submit your amcas? i think i submitted mine about june 23rd, not even an email saying they received my app...

hopefully i get one of the uc's, that would be amazing.

timeline shows secondaries going out starting august.

time to sit back and chillax till then, guys.

just got acknowledged :D i guess checking my email a million times today finally paid off.. their preliminary review goes till February whaaaaaat??

Just got my acknowledgment.

their preliminary review goes till February whaaaaaat??
Probably because non-SDN people submit their primary pretty late. If you're verified now, hopefully you won't have to wait that long.

My first uc secondary!!!!!!!!!!!! Im not a failure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got the secondary e-mail but I don't see anything in the database.

got the secondary too! :D

sigh..they're piling up though...

where is the form????? I see my status but no link to the form

omg ucsd and ucla secondaries within one hour of each other!
just when I thought california had forsaken me

Maybe it won't be up until the end of the day like UCSD when they first sent out notifications.

just got one too yaaay! my link works...have you tried just going to the ucla som website and opening it from there?

Wow, UCLA's on the ball this year! Someone PM me the prompt. Format it so I can directly copy paste it. Thanks!

I can log in fine through their status. I'm starting my app. now!! So excited.

Describe involvement in the ONE most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

What has been the ONE most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the ONE most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaningful?

What is the ONE most important honor you have received? Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)? Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Describe a problem in your life. Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college. Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check the box labeled 'Hardship' and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship. Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What experiences have led you to this goal?

Hey everyone,

I will be starting at UCLA this year. If you guys have any questions about the application process or interviews and logistics of getting to UCLA (I know how to get from the airport to UCLA for a dollar!) feel free to spend me a PM. Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.