2009-2010 University of Toledo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

Using the back of this page or a separate sheet of paper, briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence. You may use the back of this page or attach an additional sheet of paper.

LOR Reqs

We will accept letters from a Premedical Advisory Committee, a letter packet or individual letters from the college or university from which you will graduate or have recently graduated (letters from three (3) faculty members with whom you have studied - at least two (2) in a science department is strongly recommended).

If you are not a recent college graduate, three (3) letters of recommendation are needed and can be obtained from faculty from your former college/university or from someone who is familiar with your activities since leaving college.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me! Id be interested in going here though admittedly I dont know a whole lot about the school. Guess thats what interviews are for? I just want any interview lol:)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that have received a secondary can you please post the prompt and character/word limit? Thanks in advance!:)

For those of you that have received a secondary can you please post the prompt and character/word limit? Thanks in advance!:)

I don't think they sent secondaries yet

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone receive a secondary yet?

last year this came out on 7/17 it seems, why is it taking so long :(.

is this going to be a secondary with essay questions? thanks.

i interviewed there last year... i'm actually still on their waitlist but im pretty sure it won't move at all lol. definitely still interested in attending there :D

Got the secondary this morning. Same as last years.

I had no idea it was going to be on paper! o well

I surely didn't see any word limit specified anywhere...

based on the "back of page" instructions, i imagine they are looking for about a page.

Probably a good idea to type it huh, it almost seems like they would accept hand written back of page lol. Also, is there a way to type into the PDF instead of handwritten, my handwriting is terrible.

Last edited:
Probably a good idea to type it huh, it almost seems like they would accept hand written back of page lol. Also, is there a way to type into the PDF instead of handwritten, by handwriting is terrible.
i'm just attaching a single sheet.

i didnt even know these guys screened, anyone know how they do it? Is it more of a whole application view, or just straight #s...im OOS if that matters

i didnt even know these guys screened, anyone know how they do it? Is it more of a whole application view, or just straight #s...im OOS if that matters
i think i read awhile back that they screen OOS for #s.

I also just received the secondary today! :)

And i'm oos with a sub 30 mcat and 3.5-3.6 gpa so they must not be all about #s.

Also finally got it. It's my last essay one so very excited :D

got it finally :)...and my stats are the epitome of failure so the numbers screen is certainly not high for those who might be wondering:p

Probably a good idea to type it huh, it almost seems like they would accept hand written back of page lol. Also, is there a way to type into the PDF instead of handwritten, my handwriting is terrible.

If you have Adobe Acrobat or similar, you can "Create a Form" and type into it.

Anyone have advice on their question re: "extenuating circumstances" (poor grades, etc)? How poor are "poor grades"? Does 3-4 C's = poor?

are you kidding me the pdf isnt even fillable....wow my writing is going to get me an insta rejection lol

If you have Adobe Acrobat or similar, you can "Create a Form" and type into it.

Anyone have advice on their question re: "extenuating circumstances" (poor grades, etc)? How poor are "poor grades"? Does 3-4 C's = poor?
if u got 4 Cs in one semester then the rest are all As and Bs id say that warrants explaining. If you have 4 Cs sorta sprinkled throught all As maybe not as much

edit: i like kokos idea more lol just explain it regardless, as long as its not like well i was too busy getting trashed and there was this girl...the next day i woke up and oops didnt take my test oh well....

Last edited:
if u got 4 Cs in one semester then the rest are all As and Bs id say that warrants explaining. If you have 4 Cs sorta sprinkled throught all As maybe not as much
My take is that if you can think of a reason for your 4 Cs, regardless of how they appear, then I would answer the prompt. Especially if they're scattered and an adcom can't even think of a possible explanation without your help.

anyone elses cultural competence essay just horrid? haha...i feel like this essay will reject me automatically :(...cant seem to come up with something decent.

are you kidding me the pdf isnt even fillable....wow my writing is going to get me an insta rejection lol

no, theyre just looking to make sure you can write like a doctor :thumbup:

anyone elses cultural competence essay just horrid? haha...i feel like this essay will reject me automatically :(...cant seem to come up with something decent.

Cultural competence: the taco bell lady didn't understand that I wanted a number 4... i repeated "CUATRO!" I got my chalupas.

EDIT: CUATRO

I think i should be able to pull something out of my time working as a nurse tech that will work. I have trouble writing these type of essays too though.

haha. Hey on the pre-req sheet are you guys putting ALL of your bio classes or just enough to meet the pre-req.

I always just put enough to fill the requirement. Maybe that's a mistake but I figure they have AMCAS to check out all my other classes.

I always just put enough to fill the requirement. Maybe that's a mistake but I figure they have AMCAS to check out all my other classes.

Just prereqs is what they want.

I'm OOS with 3.7/32 but low VR, think I got screened or are they sending secondaries in batches?

I'm OOS with 3.7/32 but low VR, think I got screened or are they sending secondaries in batches?

Unless your VR is under a 7 I doubt you'd get screened

Last edited:
damn, didn't get mine yet...

how beastly is this one? anybody care to post prompts?

Status
Not open for further replies.