cube counting illusions on actual exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yqjcyxx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, especially those who have already taken the dat, i have a quick question about cube counting illusions.

sometimes, i can't figure out if there's a cube or not in the center on a structure. for example, there appears to be 9 cubes on the bottom row but i'm not sure if the middle cube is a cube or space. i know that you look for a verticle line drawn in the center. if it's there, it means it's a hole and not a cube but sometimes the structure is angled and there's cubes building on top of each of the corners and it blocks the view. in that case, what do you assum.

sorry guys, i don't know how to paste a picture. the specific example i refer to is #66 of the first test of achiever.

for those who've taken the dat, were there illusions on the dat or were they straightforward? any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

wow I was going to start a thread asking the same thing last night, after one of the cdp tests had such a stupid figure for cube counting, but when I saw the answer it did kind of make sense, I just hope that they are clear on the actual exam, and I am curious about your question too.

yes I did have one 'figure' that was very complicated and it took me a while to figure out if there was a cube in the middle or not

Recently i also encountered the same questions from cdp (i.e. test 4 #73). those make my eyes hurt by staring at them for so long. my kaplan instructor told me there are questions like this on the real DAT. but i would also like to know from people here on SDN whether illusion cube counting occur often on the real DAT. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
cube counting test 3 #71, plays eye tricks on you but at the same time, once I saw the answer I realized it was simple, but still, its not the point to trick a person, its just supposed to be cube counting!

I don't think anyone has answered the question yet.
So...NO, the real test will not have those annoying illusions. But those illusions aren't so bad, at first I couldn't see it at all. But by the end (after a few encounters), they are doable.

cube counting test 3 #71, plays eye tricks on you but at the same time, once I saw the answer I realized it was simple, but still, its not the point to trick a person, its just supposed to be cube counting!

Can anybody help me with this one (test 3 #70-72). I've been staring at for an hour and can't seem to figure it out. I keep counting 3,3,4 (2side, 3side, 4side painted).

I see 3 cubes on the top front, 4 cubes on the middle front, 1 cube on the bottom front, then, 1 cube on the middle back right, and 1 cube on the bottom back right. I only see 10 cubes.

Can anybody help me with this one (test 3 #70-72). I've been staring at for an hour and can't seem to figure it out. I keep counting 3,3,4 (2side, 3side, 4side painted).

I see 3 cubes on the top front, 4 cubes on the middle front, 1 cube on the bottom front, then, 1 cube on the middle back right, and 1 cube on the bottom back right. I only see 10 cubes.

At first I perceived the same way you described. I am not good at describing but I'll try my best here.

• 3 cubes in the front standing vertically.
  • 5 cubes lie horizontally at the back and bottom. (let's call it Block1)
  • 4 cubes lie horizontally on top of Block 1. (let's call it Block 2)
  • The 3 cubes that standing in the front is blocking the view of the third cube of the Block 2 (if you count from the left).
  • The 3 cubes standing in the front is also blocking the view of the fourth cube of Block 1 (if you count from the left).
  • There is a total of 12 cubes.

Actually I would have gotten these questions wrong if I didn't look at the explanation. :p

At first I perceived the same way you described. I am not good at describing but I'll try my best here.

• 3 cubes in the front standing vertically.
  • 5 cubes lie horizontally at the back and bottom. (let's call it Block1)
  • 4 cubes lie horizontally on top of Block 1. (let's call it Block 2)
  • The 3 cubes that standing in the front is blocking the view of the third cube of the Block 2 (if you count from the left).
  • The 3 cubes standing in the front is also blocking the view of the fourth cube of Block 1 (if you count from the left).
  • There is a total of 12 cubes.
Actually I would have gotten these questions wrong if I didn't look at the explanation. :p

Thanks for your help. I get it now finally.