2009-2010 University of South Alabama College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Um, I didn't apply to U. South Alabama but they sent a secondary, snail mail, to my home...has this happened to anyone else?
Also, does anyone know if they screen OOS applicants?:oops:

does anyone know if they screen OOS applicants?:oops:

i was told that they do screen oos applicants. i was also told that they do accept some oos applicants, but like most state schools the # is limited and preference is given to in-state. i was told that they look for some sort of tie to the state like family, friends, work, school, etc. still even if you don't have any ties, they did send you a secondary, so who knows, maybe they really want you to go there :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, I didn't apply to U. South Alabama but they sent a secondary, snail mail, to my home...has this happened to anyone else?
Also, does anyone know if they screen OOS applicants?:oops:

Ditto. I had to recheck my AMCAS to see if I marked USA instead of UA. :confused:

Well that's frustrating, because I DID apply to South, and I haven't gotten a secondary... Or anything, for that matter. I'm wondering if I should call their office, but I don't want to be presumptuous.

Well that's frustrating, because I DID apply to South, and I haven't gotten a secondary... Or anything, for that matter. I'm wondering if I should call their office, but I don't want to be presumptuous.

I share your frustration.

So has anybody heard anything after completing their secondary?

Can someone PM me the prompt so I can update it on the first post and the secondary application thread? Thanks!

Be patient. They didn't send me one for a long time, and they tend to be behind other schools in terms of the timeline because they do everything via snail mail. If you do call, though, Mark Scott is who you want to talk to. He will be straight with you.

I'm an M1 at South by the way if anyone has questions.

Be patient. They didn't send me one for a long time, and they tend to be behind other schools in terms of the timeline because they do everything via snail mail. If you do call, though, Mark Scott is who you want to talk to. He will be straight with you.

I'm an M1 at South by the way if anyone has questions.

Thanks so much. I've heard this about them, so I'm being patient. I have spoken with Mr. Scott before in person, and he asked me to email him with my MCAT scores when I got them, so I did. But I haven't heard anything back from him.... So I'm just waiting. It's okay, though.

Just got my first interview offer, it for USA! Weird though, cause they don't even have any of my LORs! My pre-med advisor hasn't sent out my committee letter yet, cool they gave me the interview anyway. It's on Sept. 23rd, 8am.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm looking at this secondary and I'm a little confused. Do I need to get 2 more letters for South, on top of the packet and committee letter from my University?

Yeah you have to have your committee letters, then two additional letters with those.

So I'm looking at this secondary and I'm a little confused. Do I need to get 2 more letters for South, on top of the packet and committee letter from my University?

I would call and ask because when I applied last year, I just turned in the "packet" from our pre-med committee at UA. At Alabama, the committee letter was a composite of five LORs and then the committee's recommendation.

Has anyone gotten an offer or had an interview yet? My app was complete 9/4. Anybody complete around this date hear anything yet?

I was complete on 8/23 and haven't heard anything either. Just speaking from experience from last year, they take FOREVER so get used to the waiting.

I am a reapplicant as well. I knew they take forever from my experience last year too. Just nervous cause this is probably the school i have the best chance of getting into.

Has anyone gotten an offer or had an interview yet? My app was complete 9/4. Anybody complete around this date hear anything yet?

I haven't seen any large groups in their Sunday best yet. Interviews are traditionally on Wednesdays. I think there's a group coming on the 23rd.

I am a reapplicant as well. I knew they take forever from my experience last year too. Just nervous cause this is probably the school i have the best chance of getting into.

Yeah I understand. I'm in the same boat as you are, so hopefully we'll hear from them soon.

I'm interviewing on the 23rd. Looking forward to seeing some of you there.

I'm going to do everything I can to get in on that free lunch. They have awesome interview food.

Awesome! Definitely looking forward to it. Have any awesome interview tips to share?

Nothing you probably haven't heard before. Just be yourself. The interviews are pretty laid back.

Do be prepared to drive around from interview to interview, though, because 1-2 of your interviews may take place in a physician's office off campus.

Interview invite for Oct 7th !!! I'm really surprised and excited because im OOS with no Alabama ties, but my fiance is from the south and we really wants to move there.

Do they notify you when your file is complete?

Do they notify you when your file is complete?

No, you have to call the admissions office and ask about the status of your application. The only thing they will contact you for is an interview invite my email.

I FINALLY got a secondary!!! I'm excited, because I know the screen OOS, so at least I've made it past one hurdle. Now I'll wow them with my secondary. ;)

How long did you guys wait for your secondary?

I submitted my primary in JUNE and just now got the secondary.

Hey for those of you who already interviewed, have any tips?

I submitted the primary on 8/27 and still haven't received the secondary. Is this normal? BTW, I'm OOS.

Does anyone know if they use the AMCAS LOR? The secondary has space for separate LORs but I seem to remember the AMCAS saying they used their service. Did you guys send in separate letters?

I FINALLY got a secondary!!! I'm excited, because I know the screen OOS, so at least I've made it past one hurdle. Now I'll wow them with my secondary. ;)

Sorry man but I don't think getting a secondary is getting over a hurdle. Every one gets secondaries bc they want more money. Now if you get the invite, which I haven't yet, that is a hurdle and a big one.

Good luck!

Sorry man but I don't think getting a secondary is getting over a hurdle. Every one gets secondaries bc they want more money. Now if you get the invite, which I haven't yet, that is a hurdle and a big one.

Good luck!

Not to mention that the secondary is just mainly filing questions anyway, and a picture. There is no essay or personal questions. Wowing them is kind of too late at this point. Better wow them with your primary cause they just wanted the money and picture from your secondary.

At the interview, I was told that you are graded numerically out of a score of 10.
Your GPA is worth 3 points, MCAT is 3 points and the interview is worth 4 points...for a grand total of 10.
At the beginning of the interview cycle, the score required for an acceptance is relatively high and eventually it gets lowered throughout the cycle.

So the only way you can really WoW them is your stats and the interview it seems.

To anyone who has gotten an interview... how long after your check for your secondary was cashed were you offered an interview?

Got my acceptance letter in the mail today. Huzzah.

Congrats! I couldn't wait for the letter to come or not come so I called Admissions... I'M ACCEPTED!!!!!! OOS, 3.55/31 O :soexcited:

Congrats guys

Were those of you that have already received acceptances early decision?

Were those of you that have already received acceptances early decision?

I interviewed 10/07 was accepted 11/04 and was regular admission. From what I understand that was the first interview day after they completed EDP acceptances. I know one person accepted EDP and that acceptance was received the last week of Sept.

I interviewed 9/23 for regular admission. Still haven't heard back. I was 3.55/32Q in-state.

I interviewed 10/07 regular admissions, accepted 11/05

ftrflyr29, what's your undergrad school if you don't mind me asking. I'm trying to remember who you are.

To anyone who has gotten an interview... how long after your check for your secondary was cashed were you offered an interview?

I never paid attention as to how long it took for my check to be cashed.
I got the interview invite 2 weeks after submitting my secondary.

On another note,
Interviewed Oct 21
Received acceptance letter Nov 5

A medical school actually thinks I have the potential to become a decent doctor! Hurray!!!

I never paid attention as to how long it took for my check to be cashed.
I got the interview invite 2 weeks after submitting my secondary.

On another note,
Interviewed Oct 21
Received acceptance letter Nov 5

A medical school actually thinks I have the potential to become a decent doctor! Hurray!!!

Congrats on the acceptance!:thumbup: I've only had one interview, which was at UAB. I haven't even received secondaries from D.O. schools. Of course now that I got rid of that pesky 26 MCAT, I really don't even want to apply to D.O. schools any more. I just feel like that $250 application fee was for nothing.

Congrats on the acceptance!:thumbup: I've only had one interview, which was at UAB. I haven't even received secondaries from D.O. schools. Of course now that I got rid of that pesky 26 MCAT, I really don't even want to apply to D.O. schools any more. I just feel like that $250 application fee was for nothing.

Thanks! :D

I also interviewed at UAB, but I have not heard back from them yet. I am not surprised since the interview was last week.
I also had a 26 on my first MCAT. My retake was a 29...not a major improvement.
I had the initial plan of applying to DO schools, but felt overwhelmed with the MD schools already. In my opinion, $250 dollars is a small price to pay for an acceptance to a medical school. I've had two pre-interview rejections from schools that had ~$100 secondary app fee. OUCH!

I hope you hear from South soon. I feel that the timing of the interview does not make a huge difference, since an acceptance is based on a score you receive out of 10.

Thanks! :D

I also interviewed at UAB, but I have not heard back from them yet. I am not surprised since the interview was last week.
I also had a 26 on my first MCAT. My retake was a 29...not a major improvement.
I had the initial plan of applying to DO schools, but felt overwhelmed with the MD schools already. In my opinion, $250 dollars is a small price to pay for an acceptance to a medical school. I've had two pre-interview rejections from schools that had ~$100 secondary app fee. OUCH!

I hope you hear from South soon. I feel that the timing of the interview does not make a huge difference, since an acceptance is based on a score you receive out of 10.

Thanks I hope I hear from them too. Did u interview on 10/29? If so which one were u?

Status
Not open for further replies.