2009-2010 University of Arkansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

I am! But I'm OOS so prolly no shot at all... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Milkman,

Do you believe that there is any reason for OOS applicants not located in neighboring states to apply or would it just be a waste of money?

Okay, who's applying this time around?

It's not a waste of money at all. Most of the OOS students in my class have no state ties and are not from states adjacent to Arkansas. Be prepared to make an argument for why you want to attend the school in your "strong ties" letter instead of documenting said ties (which presumably don't exist). When I was applying, the application stated explicitly that they don't consider OOS applicants with less than a 3.6 GPA, but I got in with a 3.1. It's worth a shot if you like the school, and this seems to be a time of plenty for UAMS. There are huge research projects in bone and breast cancer, brand new facilities across the board, and some big-fish-in-little-pond faculty to learn from. I assume lots of people avoid the school due to its location and lack of name power, but it really has a lot going for it. I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'll be applying this time, in state. I'm applying at 4 other places too, but I really only want to go to UAMS because of the rural medicine program. I want to stay in Arkansas and do primary care (I seem to be the only one) and the program would be a good fit for me. Application is already submitted and waiting on a secondary.

If anyone has any questions please let me know. I'll be an M1 starting in the fall. I'll be doing a blog over the next few years that will show the day to day life of a medical student. Feel free to follow it and hopefully we can both learn a lot. Good luck to everyone applying.

I just got an email from them saying they are going to snail mail (argg) me the secondary. Haha their email is actually really chill and laid back and they joked around too. Anyway I'm applying out of state and it says they are planning on matriculating 176 students this year.

Btw so those that are currently attending or will attend, what are the demographics like in the city and especially the student body?

I'll be applying this time, in state. I'm applying at 4 other places too, but I really only want to go to UAMS because of the rural medicine program. I want to stay in Arkansas and do primary care (I seem to be the only one) and the program would be a good fit for me. Application is already submitted and waiting on a secondary.

Rural medicine program... can anyone elaborate on this?

I just got an email from them saying they are going to snail mail (argg) me the secondary. Haha their email is actually really chill and laid back and they joked around too. Anyway I'm applying out of state and it says they are planning on matriculating 176 students this year.

Btw so those that are currently attending or will attend, what are the demographics like in the city and especially the student body?

agreed... their email actually made me smile!

I'm getting good vibes :)

just looked at their site a bit more closely:

they said for OOS they give a preference to those that demonstrate strong ties with a letter due nov 1. problem is that I don't technically have strong ties there but I like what I have seen from their website and frankly think I would love to go if I got accepted.

should I tell them that or just not write anything and hope for the best?

I have no ties whatsoever but just from the email, I'm definitely exciting about potentially visiting/getting an interview .

Rural medicine program... can anyone elaborate on this?

It's a program that allows Arkansas residents to get forgivable loans for tuition if they agree to practice in a medically underserved area of Arkansas after graduation. One year of practice = one year of loan forgiveness. The details can be found here.

Also, got my secondary in the mail today. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
White, white, and more white. I think there are maybe ~20-25 people in my class who aren't Caucasian, and the city is about the same. If you dig a little, though, you can find some culture. It's just not immediately apparent.
I don't technically have strong ties there but I like what I have seen from their website and frankly think I would love to go if I got accepted.

should I tell them that or just not write anything and hope for the best?
Write about why you want to go to the school. Definitely do not forgo the strong ties letter even if you have no ties.

Do they screen for secondaries?

hahaa yeah i noticed you were answering all of my questions! i just lent my msar to a friend! :( i didnt realize they were in there until after...dang...thanks for the help anyway!

Definitely do not forgo the strong ties letter even if you have no ties.

I don't get what you mean by this. Are you saying if we have no ties to the state, just write a letter as to why we are interested in the school?

P.S.

I added this school because of you; being a MO resident as well and getting in. My MCAT is a little lower than your's, but my GPA is a little higher. I have zero ties to the state, don't even know one person there, but it seems like a decent school.

It's a program that allows Arkansas residents to get forgivable loans for tuition if they agree to practice in a medically underserved area of Arkansas after graduation. One year of practice = one year of loan forgiveness. The details can be found here.

Also, got my secondary in the mail today. :)

Ah ok, thanks for the info!

LaCasta: Yeah, I think that's exactly what he means.

yup, I'm pretty sure that's what he means, and I'm def going to write one :)

How long does it take to get the secondary in the mail? I got the e-mail on July 1st but still no secondary in the mail yet.

I received mine today. I'm in Mississippi, btw.

I got the secondary in the mail but I never got the e-mail.

Did this happen to anyone?

thanks

hey I just got my secondary today in PA
whoo!

I hate how long snail mail takes! Especially since I am in Alaska so everything takes longer to get to me!! lol

just got mine...am i looking over an essay section? or are there no essays to be written? I really hope there are no essays! that would make my day...

I didn't see any but there is of course the "strong ties" letter

so are you guys detaching all of the pages? I mean they seem like they are going to be coming apart i just want to make sure they don't expect it to come back in one piece...

I've gotten 4 PM's on the subject in the last day, so I want to reiterate a couple key points:

1) UAMS does accept OOS students. They can accept a maximum of 20% of the class from OOS, according to state law. Typically, it's more like 15%.

2) If you are OOS and have no ties to the state, write about why you want to attend UAMS. Do not simply skip the letter.

so are you guys detaching all of the pages? I mean they seem like they are going to be coming apart i just want to make sure they don't expect it to come back in one piece...
As long as you send it back together, they won't care. The UAMS admissions department is about as chill as they come.

As far as the registration number and stuff about residency that only applies to AR residents right? so i dont have to go look up my voter registration from alaska?

Also, are you guys really putting a picture to fit in that space? its huge! can i just put a 2X2 like i have been for other schools? that is all i have right now!

One more thing, are you guys sending your letter of interest or whatever with your secondary? i really want to get this sent off tomorrow morning but i dont have time to write it tonight...

One more thing, are you guys sending your letter of interest or whatever with your secondary? i really want to get this sent off tomorrow morning but i dont have time to write it tonight...

I believe you have until 11/15 to write the letter

I believe you have until 11/15 to write the letter

Yeah I know that but its like with most secondaries you have a really long time to do them but you definitely shouldn't take that long...idk...

Also, are you guys really putting a picture to fit in that space? its huge! can i just put a 2X2 like i have been for other schools? that is all i have right now!

Anybody?

I'm just attaching the small pic I have as well ( I think it's 2X2)

also, I'm going to send that "strong ties" letter with my secondary... hopefully I can work on it today and have it finished by tomorrow. I think it would be better if you sent the letter and secondary together. just my opinion :)

So I just mailed this one off and forgot to double check the LOR requirements. Anybody still have it that can tell me what they are? thx!

How long a letter are we talking about here?

mine was one page single-spaced (but I had lines between my paragraphs so it didn't look too dense)

So I just mailed this one off and forgot to double check the LOR requirements. Anybody still have it that can tell me what they are? thx!

sorry, I would look but I just sent mine off today too!

I'm applying this year, too! I'm OOS from North Carolina, but my husband is in the Air Force and we're supposed to be moving to Little Rock next spring. I'm nervous about my application because my undergrad GPA doesn't meet the 3.6 preference but my graduate GPA does. How long are your "strong ties" letters turning out to be? I'm just getting started on mine today so I can get it and my secondary sent off by next week.

Should I address the letter to a specific person or leave it vague?

My strong ties letter was a page single-spaced. I'd avoid going longer than that. Keep it simple.

For me, it was 2 science letters and a third letter from another professor with 3 other optional letters that could be from anyone.

Should I address the letter to a specific person or leave it vague?
I addressed mine "to whom it may concern."

My strong ties letter was a page single-spaced. I'd avoid going longer than that. Keep it simple.

For me, it was 2 science letters and a third letter from another professor with 3 other optional letters that could be from anyone.

I addressed mine "to whom it may concern."

Thanks for all the info Al. You're a big help.:thumbup:

The UAMS admissions department is about as chill as they come.

Word. After chatting with a few of the folks down there just now, UAMS is seriously threatening for my #1 spot, sight unseen.

Wish my state school's admissions dept was that friendly :(.

I'm curious to know what the daily schedule is like. Are classes all day long or just part of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.