2009-2010 University of Arkansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking for a 3 BR house....If one comes across you.

Members don't see this ad.

An empty one or one with at least one space in it? It sounds like a stupid question, but some people want more roommates for cheaper rent, overall.

Open one. I have two other people that are going to live with me...Although now one of my friends says that his family may buy a house for us and sell it after our four years....But I'm still looking because that is tentative.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys missed Skit Dance last night. What's Skit Dance? Well, you'll find out, but rest assured that it's one reason you should be really happy you're coming to UAMS.

I plan on taking the mcat in August/september would that be detrimental to my chances of getting in.

Nope. They hardly make any of the decisions until January, and the OOS kids don't even interview until January. It'll definitely set you back a whole lot at other schools, though.

I'm starting the search for a place near UAMS now, and quietly freaking out about finding a place to live close to campus, so definitely feel free to send any helpful info/listings my way! If you want, I can give you my email and I'm on the facebook group too.

I've been a little.. ok, very... spoiled by the hilariously cheap renter market in Fayetteville, so I know I'm likely to be downgrading my overall quality of place, but I'd ideally like to find somewhere within walking or short biking distance to campus. Also, I'm considering roommates if anyone on here decides they need one or wants one- hit me up and we can talk. I have a friend who got in and will be attending UAMS as well, but I think we've decided not to room together.

I just found out yesterday that there's a decent chance both of my roommates are going to be moving out. One is almost certainly leaving for the Fayetteville campus, and one might be moving in with another friend for some reason or another. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully 2 miles from campus qualifies as "short biking distance."

I just found out yesterday that there's a decent chance both of my roommates are going to be moving out. One is almost certainly leaving for the Fayetteville campus, and one might be moving in with another friend for some reason or another. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully 2 miles from campus qualifies as "short biking distance."
Ok, thanks. I think 2 miles is short biking distance, but I'm also used to Fayetteville where two miles might mean up and down two huge hills, haha. I'm currently attempting to plan a weekend or Friday/Saturday apartment/condo/rental house/duplex browsing blitz sometime in May, so I'll let you know when I'm going to be down there. If you're available, any insight would be appreciated. I really don't have time to worry about it yet since I'm all tied up with my Komen obligations until the end of the month- but it'll definitely be sometime in May.

Nope. I dont know how long it takes, but I filled out the paperwork somewhat recently so....

Have any of my fellow out of state students on the wait list heard anything back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody received a fin. aid packet yet?

I filled mine out like as soon as they got all the new paperwork put online and I still haven't received anything. We're not expected to do any of the loan counseling stuff until closer to time right?

On the website, under the "overview of financial aid" or w/e listed the loan counseling as a step so I did it. I just did all those steps to make sure I completed the paperwork on time.

When in doubt, call Gina. I don't think you'll be hearing anything until the waitlist cluster**** occurs in mid-May unless you're super crazy awesome, but you never know. If you have some reason that you need to know about your scholarship status immediately, they might be accommodating, assuming they've sorted things out.

I emailed and they said the scholarship committee met yesterday and will continue to meet throughout the summer. They said they send out letters immediately. Mine had already been decided, so she let me know what I got!

I emailed and they said the scholarship committee met yesterday and will continue to meet throughout the summer. They said they send out letters immediately. Mine had already been decided, so she let me know what I got!

Im assuming you got good news by your exclamation mark. I kinda want to call now haha and ask

Oh god. I mean.. .congratulations! Now I have to get ahold of them and get it over with.

For what it's worth, I got the official letter in the mail today, so be on the lookout!

Im looking for a 3 BR house....If one comes across you.

I also spent a great deal of time searching for a 3 BR house. I just signed the lease for a 3BR condo in the "Townhouses in the park" subdivision. The are very few if any decent places to live that are large enough for three people. I recommend searching the Little Rock classifieds as I saw some very nice places for about $1,600 per month but they went very fast so keep an eye out.

Ya it definitely is hard. I found some good ones online but I got to go see them in person first. I found a really good 3BR but it had one tiny bathroom and that wouldnt work haha but im still looking.

I just received a big yellow envelope from UAMS today. So, it looks like I’ll be moving to Little Rock soon. See y’all next Fall.

Hey hey! Congratulations! Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck to all of you in this waitlist movement onslaught. It's coming!

I just received a big yellow envelope from UAMS today. So, it looks like I’ll be moving to Little Rock soon. See y’all next Fall.
Congrats! Make sure to browse through the UAMS CoM Class of 2014 Facebook group- lots of activity lately on there about CPR certification, housing, roommates, etc.

In other news, I'm headed to Little Rock this Friday and Saturday to begin the search for a place to live. Hopefully I'll find something reasonably appealing that I can afford.

Congrats! Make sure to browse through the UAMS CoM Class of 2014 Facebook group- lots of activity lately on there about CPR certification, housing, roommates, etc.

In other news, I'm headed to Little Rock this Friday and Saturday to begin the search for a place to live. Hopefully I'll find something reasonably appealing that I can afford.

Thanks, I'll have to check out the Facebook group. It looks like I'll be heading to LR in June to look for a house. From what I have seen, the housing market there still seems partially depressed, which is at least good news for those of us looking for a place to live.

1235-Were you moved off the waitlist? If so, did you apply for the rural practice program? Congratulations!

Hey all, my roommate and I (both first year med students) are looking for a third roommate. We'll be living on N Cedar Street in a fully renovated 3 bed 2 bath house that's like new. Rent is $400 a month plus $100-125 a month or so in utilities/cable. It's less than a block from Markham and a 5 minute walk to the ED II building. If you're interested, want to see pictures of the place, or have questions, message me or give me a call at 479-236-9549
To see one view of the house: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_WBgrCSCJUJ8/S-9AsGDrdzI/AAAAAAAAAC8/DcgwL6Uqzts/s640/IMG_2584.JPG

Last edited:
Has anyone other than 1235 gotten in from the waitlist? I'm hoping that I hear something sooner than later because the chances get slimmer as the days go by.
Fortunately I live in LR so I won't have to scramble if I hear something the week before school. If you have any questions about LR and the housing market I'd be happy to help. I have lived here my entire life and I have been in the real estate business for 10 years. Good luck to everyone waiting.

Hey all, my roommate and I (both first year med students) are looking for a third roommate. We'll be living on N Cedar Street in a fully renovated 3 bed 2 bath house that's like new. Rent is $400 a month plus $100-125 a month or so in utilities/cable. It's less than a block from Markham and a 5 minute walk to the ED II building. If you're interested, want to see pictures of the place, or have questions, message me or give me a call at 479-236-9549
To see one view of the house: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_WBgrCSCJUJ8/S-9AsGDrdzI/AAAAAAAAAC8/DcgwL6Uqzts/s640/IMG_2584.JPG

My friends and I wanted the 119 N Cedar one but it sold!! :( but we think we found another good one close to campus. Yours is great location.

My friends and I wanted the 119 N Cedar one but it sold!! :( but we think we found another good one close to campus. Yours is great location.
We could have been neighbors, this one is 115 N. Cedar :D. Yeah, I'm excited about the location- turns out I saw the sign and called the day he put the "for rent" sign out in the yard, which just happened to be the day I was down in Little Rock apartment hunting. Stroke of luck. At any rate, if you all hear of another first-year looking for a place to live near campus, feel free to give them my info and I'll talk to them and see if we wouldn't drive each other insane.

You guys are right next to a good friend of mine. I don't know his address, but it's on that first block of Cedar. I'll figure it out and pass it on so you can go bother him. :smuggrin:

edit: You're across the street and 4 houses down from him. Go egg his house or something. :p

Last edited:
Just got my acceptance packet yesterday!! Im an OS applicant that was put on the waitlist after the interview. Goodluck to the rest of the waitlisters!

Just got my acceptance packet yesterday!! Im an OS applicant that was put on the waitlist after the interview. Goodluck to the rest of the waitlisters!
Congrats! Which state? Also, come join us on the UAMS CoM Class of 2014 facebook group, lots of "get to know each other" discussions on there.

I'm OOS and I got an acceptance letter! Super happy! =)))) see you all in Little Rock!

Great job, that is awesome. Did everyone get that packet in the mail yesterday about orientation? That book list is rather extensive!

Milkman might have some advice about that booklist. Everyone I have talked to didn't use most of them that much. The books for gross seemed to be the most important. They seem to mostly use the study guide books. They said not to buy them brand new. Another classmate told me to look at half.com for great deals on the books.
They also said only get a stethoscope and don't worry about the rest of the things on the list. They said even if you own everything you will still use the equipment provided for you in exam areas.

Milkman might have some advice about that booklist.
Here ya go: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602842

The only things I'd change about my comments there are that I absolutely do not recommend getting the cell bio book, and the gross BRS's chapter summaries and questions are actually very useful. Don't bother with the actual text, though.

Officially withdrew last week. Hopefully the spot goes to one of you guys. Good luck next year and congrats to everyone!

Thanks for the link Milkman. Good information on that thread!

Can anyone tell me what are the two closest apartment complexes to our classrooms? (Sorry if this question has already been answered... I couldn't find an answer in this thread)

I remember during the interview/tour some of the current medical students suggested living in either of two apartment complexes if we want to be close, since they are located closer to our classrooms than the dorms.

Also, FYI I just called Student Activities and Housing and was informed that all dorm applications have at least a 1 yr waiting list, and that the 1bd suite has a 2 yr waiting list.

Thanks in advance for any help! Can't wait to meet you all soon. :)
Jennie

Can anyone tell me what are the two closest apartment complexes to our classrooms?
There are several apartment complexes along Kavanaugh that are maybe a 10+ minute walk from school. One of my good friends lives there, and her place is really nice. I don't know any names, though, unfortunately.

Also, FYI I just called Student Activities and Housing and was informed that all dorm applications have at least a 1 yr waiting list, and that the 1bd suite has a 2 yr waiting list.
That's freaking crazy. There were always tons of empty rooms around when I was there. Like, I think there were never fewer than 3 open (of 16) on my side of my floor alone. I wonder if it's because of the class expansion?

Just a reminder: join your class's Facebook group if you haven't already. There's lots of housing and book sale kind of stuff going on there among many other things. Speaking of books, someone posted this Amazon UAMS book review list thingy in one of the group's discussion threads. As you've probably seen in said thread, I agree with pretty much everything he says. Do remember that buying multiple texts for one subject isn't very productive, however.

Hey Milkman,

Thanks for your reply. I read the FB postings but no specific complexes are listed. I'm surprised that I can't find any close apt complexes advertising via google search... do you know if many of these complexes have websites or the best way to search for housing remotely?

I'll be flying into LR from California July 28... do you think it'll be too late to find nice housing nearby then?

Thanks again,
Jennie

There are several apartment complexes along Kavanaugh that are maybe a 10+ minute walk from school. One of my good friends lives there, and her place is really nice. I don't know any names, though, unfortunately.

That's freaking crazy. There were always tons of empty rooms around when I was there. Like, I think there were never fewer than 3 open (of 16) on my side of my floor alone. I wonder if it's because of the class expansion?

Just a reminder: join your class's Facebook group if you haven't already. There's lots of housing and book sale kind of stuff going on there among many other things. Speaking of books, someone posted this Amazon UAMS book review list thingy in one of the group's discussion threads. As you've probably seen in said thread, I agree with pretty much everything he says. Do remember that buying multiple texts for one subject isn't very productive, however.

Hey Milkman,

Thanks for your reply. I read the FB postings but no specific complexes are listed. I'm surprised that I can't find any close apt complexes advertising via google search... do you know if many of these complexes have websites or the best way to search for housing remotely?

I'll be flying into LR from California July 28... do you think it'll be too late to find nice housing nearby then?

Thanks again,
Jennie
Jennie- I had a hard time finding apartment complexes within close walking distance that were relatively nice. I ended up getting lucky and grabbing a house right off Cedar, but it seems like most of the complexes near UAMS are small, private run operations and don't advertise near as heavily and I was expecting. I had reasonably good luck finding houses on hotpads.com and craigslist, but I didn't find any walkable apartments I was very excited about. Part of this is probably because I've gotten spoiled by my current place and didn't want to downgrade:D, so you may have better luck than I did.

I also worked with a really nice guy named Michael at Little Rock Apartment Hunters. There website looks sketch, but they were really nice about trying to help me find a place, and it's a free service, so it's at least worth a try: http://www.lrapartments.com/Locator.asp . I didn't end up renting from the properties they offered, but they definitely gave me a place to at least start looking.

Good luck! Let me know if you still need help by the time you get into town, and I'll share my pictures/notes from my search.

Finding a house between July 28 and the start of school will be a challenge, for sure. Definitely make sure you have something lined up before then. If that means getting into a place without seeing it...well, you might just have to take a chance. I'd consider moving in with one of the current students looking for roommates before doing that, though. I know that one of my classmates has been looking for someone to live with for a long time now. She's really cool, so that'd be a decent option. Her place is dirt cheap, too. I don't know if she has posted anything in the Facebook group or not, but it'd be wise to have a look through all the old posts to see what you can find.

By the way, those apartments I mentioned are the only ones within walking distance that I'm aware of. Most everything else in the area is houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.