2009-2010 University of Missouri Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

i have a little tie to the state so im crossing my fingers here =)

Come on Missouri... I want to finish applying to my state school!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone got a secondary here? i got an email since im an OOS but it is only directed towards the OOS people, anyone else?!

I am in-state and have received nothing...

Same here. That's comforting to know that other in-staters haven't gotten the secondary either... I wonder what's taking them so long.

Same here. That's comforting to know that other in-staters haven't gotten the secondary either... I wonder what's taking them so long.

Looks like they just usually get it out around 8/1. The other state schools I am applying to are a bit later too. WVU and UT are examples. I have good ties to both states though. Maryland, Louisville, and Cincinnati were all awesome about being early though, so it is just one of those things I guess.

which one of those are you choosing? i have some ties to the state but definitely not strong :oops:

I'm definitely picking the strong ties and leaving it up to them how strong those ties are. Most of my family is from the St. Louis area and have been there all their lives. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents, everyone. Think that's strong enough?

I'm definitely picking the strong ties and leaving it up to them how strong those ties are. Most of my family is from the St. Louis area and have been there all their lives. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents, everyone. Think that's strong enough?

seems very strong to me :):)

so do you go there a lot? how do you like the location?!

seems very strong to me :):)

so do you go there a lot? how do you like the location?!

St. Louis is great! It's a strange area in that the city does not really end but rather blends in with the surrounding cities. I end up in the area about twice a year and could definitely live there.

St. Louis is great! It's a strange area in that the city does not really end but rather blends in with the surrounding cities. I end up in the area about twice a year and could definitely live there.

Mizzou is in Columbia... but it isn't a bad town either. St. Louis and KC are both not too far from Columbia (its kinda in the middle), and both are pretty fun towns also.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received the secondary yet? If so, what does it consist of, and if there are any essays, would you mind posting the prompts?

I just received the Out-of-State applicant form today that asks you to explain your reasons for why they should make an exception to their preference for in-state applicants when considering your application. I'm assuming that the "real" secondary comes after that if they decide to let you continue the process?

Has anyone received the secondary yet? If so, what does it consist of, and if there are any essays, would you mind posting the prompts?

I just received the Out-of-State applicant form today that asks you to explain your reasons for why they should make an exception to their preference for in-state applicants when considering your application. I'm assuming that the "real" secondary comes after that if they decide to let you continue the process?

No secondary yet, but the essay was just a standard why do you bring diversity to this school type last year and the year before.

So the secondary diversity essay is something on top of the OOS applicant form, right?

For anyone who hasn't received it yet, here's the gist of what's on the OOS form:

"...our Admissions Committee will need a compelling reason to make an exception to our preference for in state applicants. Examples of such compelling reasons include strong academic credentials, especially if you are a resident of a contiguous state, strong ties to the state of Missouri, serious interest in our MD/PhD program, and/or personal characteristics, backgrounds, and experiences adding uncommon and desirable diversity to an entering class."

So the secondary diversity essay is something on top of the OOS applicant form, right?

For anyone who hasn't received it yet, here's the gist of what's on the OOS form:

"...our Admissions Committee will need a compelling reason to make an exception to our preference for in state applicants. Examples of such compelling reasons include strong academic credentials, especially if you are a resident of a contiguous state, strong ties to the state of Missouri, serious interest in our MD/PhD program, and/or personal characteristics, backgrounds, and experiences adding uncommon and desirable diversity to an entering class."

Yeah on top of that...

so oos people have to say how they are diverse twice :scared:

lets hope for some diverse experiences in the next weeks!!

so oos people have to say how they are diverse twice :scared:

lets hope for some diverse experiences in the next weeks!!

I doubt that will happen. I just know that the last two years their secondary essay was how do you bring diversity to the entering class.

no further consideration for me here!! this was the only school i was a bit confident about if my ties made it through but they didnt like me :(:(

good luck to the rest of you, and for oos applicant residency is really a big deal here!!!

no further consideration for me here!! this was the only school i was a bit confident about if my ties made it through but they didnt like me :(:(

good luck to the rest of you, and for oos applicant residency is really a big deal here!!!

Same here. Evidently my ENTIRE family living 30 minutes from the school was not close enough ties. :rolleyes:

waiiit a minute! i just got another email saying that we are processing your application and it will take several weeks, etc, etc.. wtf?! im so confused i guess there is no agreement between them! shoot i really hope the second adcom has more powers :p

waiiit a minute! i just got another email saying that we are processing your application and it will take several weeks, etc, etc.. wtf?! im so confused i guess there is no agreement between them! shoot i really hope the second adcom has more powers :p

I got this email too. It almost seems like I am complete and don't have to do the essay... is that essay only for OOS people? Not that it matters because it is already written lol. Hurray for hearing from my in-state school anyway :)

I got this email too. It almost seems like I am complete and don't have to do the essay... is that essay only for OOS people? Not that it matters because it is already written lol. Hurray for hearing from my in-state school anyway :)

yea the OOS people have to chose high academic, diverse background, tie to state, or considering MD/PhD and then explain whichever they choose! however, it seems that they dont like oos people much :(

good luck, im sure you'll do well if its your state school :)

ok they might be different timing, but for some reason i got that after!! the time zone on my email is totally off :smuggrin:

ok they might be different timing, but for some reason i got that after!! the time zone on my email is totally off :smuggrin:

I have also heard that the adcoms at this school are pretty disorganized. Kind of a turn off...

If you are getting conflicting info, contact the OME on Monday for clarification. This week has been M1 orientation, so the admissions office has been extraordinarily busy and things should be slightly calmer next week.

Have the secondaries been sent out to in state people yet? I got an email as well saying 'applications' are being processed, but I just assumed it meant they are getting ready to send out secondaries.

I got the same two emails.

So perhaps like the movie Thirteen Days about the Cold War, we reject the first letter received and take the one which is more favorable. Someone will understand the reference to that GREAT movie.

would it be better to talk about diversity and very strong ties in the oos form, or keep my fingers crossed and hope for a secondary and then talk about my diversity?

kinda torn, cuz i dont want to be weeded out but then i want to have something to talk about in the secondary.

would it be better to talk about diversity and very strong ties in the oos form, or keep my fingers crossed and hope for a secondary and then talk about my diversity?

kinda torn, cuz i dont want to be weeded out but then i want to have something to talk about in the secondary.

dont leave anything out that you'll regret later! go all out and hope for the secondary if you are oos then when you actually get it you can worry about what to say there ;)

I got the same two emails.

So perhaps like the movie Thirteen Days about the Cold War, we reject the first letter received and take the one which is more favorable. Someone will understand the reference to that GREAT movie.

are you gonna call/email them about this? or did you?!

im at work so i dont wanna call now but i also dont wanna wait till tomorrow to call :confused:

Hey, I received the request for a secondary application, but the link to the secondary app doesn't work on my computer. Anybody else facing a similar problem?

Hey, I received the request for a secondary application, but the link to the secondary app doesn't work on my computer. Anybody else facing a similar problem?

Yeah, you have to turn off your security. I had to do that too. Just allow access.

Secondary questions are

Any additional comments (2000 characters)

How can you add to the diversity of the class? (2000 characters)

Is anyone else using the additional comments essay to adress withdrawals/bad grades? I kind of assumed this is what the prompt was for, but would like to hear other opinions...

Is anyone else using the additional comments essay to adress withdrawals/bad grades? I kind of assumed this is what the prompt was for, but would like to hear other opinions...
Given what's on your MDApps, I'd say yes- go ahead and address that with a positive spin, focusing on the fact that the crisis is long-resolved and what you've acheived since. Be prepared to talk about it in your interview (we'll pretend they've already invited you..)- accept responsibility and know how you're going to defend it. :thumbup:

Given what's on your MDApps, I'd say yes- go ahead and address that with a positive spin, focusing on the fact that the crisis is long-resolved and what you've acheived since. Be prepared to talk about it in your interview (we'll pretend they've already invited you..)- accept responsibility and know how you're going to defend it. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input : )

Ooh I used it to talk about specific reasons why I want to go to their school, like how I spent part of my childhood in columbia and how I'd like to live there again. I hope that was an appropriate use for it...

Is it fine to leave that question blank?

did anyone get an email from Traci wilson kleecamp, diversity recruiter, from this school encouraging you to apply? i dont know how serious this email is and if masses of people got this email...

Last edited:
Is it fine to leave that question blank?
you want any school to make the best-informed decision they can about whether to interview you, so it is recommended that you fill out every question for every school.

that said, I actually found my application essays on my desktop, and it appears that I recycled an essay from other schools that had information about me that Mizzou did not ask for. dig around. I'm sure you'll find something.

wow mizzou is on the ball! added them to amcas this morning, got out of state email asking for why i am applying around 12ish, was complete by 1 pm! this is by far the fastest any school has ever been...now back to the waiitng lol

wow mizzou is on the ball! added them to amcas this morning, got out of state email asking for why i am applying around 12ish, was complete by 1 pm! this is by far the fastest any school has ever been...now back to the waiitng lol

omgosh you sent that back so fast! nice! good luck! they didnt show me any oos love :(

did anyone get an email from Traci wilson kleecamp, diversity recruiter, from this school encouraging you to apply? i dont know how serious this email is and if masses of people got this email...

Yep, I just got that email. Have you found out anything about it?

I wasn't planning on applying until the next cycle, but if this is serious I could apply right now.

Yep, I just got that email. Have you found out anything about it?

I wasn't planning on applying until the next cycle, but if this is serious I could apply right now.

the convo was weird because she told me that ALL missouri residents with 3.5+ gpas and 28+ mcats were guaranteed interviews. i thought to myself why is half their class 50% out of state then? i mean, with guarantees like that why wouldnt the whole state of missouri apply???

but i did end up applying because she then stressed that the committee really wants to find people to add to the diversity of their class. i think u and i got the same email so you wouldnt be any later than I am. they apparrently don't give out invites anyway until after november is what she told me. so if u have good reasons why you would add to the school's diversity, definitely just give it a shot...the chances of the med school application game are so random and weird, who knows what school will like u and which ones won't

Status
Not open for further replies.