2009-2010 University of Missouri Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's really early, but has anyone heard about any wait list movement yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's really early, but has anyone heard about any wait list movement yet?

Per a wall post on the Class of 2014 Facebook group, I happen to know that at least 1 person was already accepted from the wait list.

I'm assuming if you're on the waitlist you can't get a scholarship app...if they pull you into the class, tho, do you get a chance then to do an app, even if it's later? hmmm

I was on the waitlist last year, and never received any additional information. Once you're accepted, you get bombarded with information. Good luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
So here's my dilemma...

I really like this school. The students and faculty are incredibly nice, and I'm really impressed by all the materials they sent after my acceptance. My problem is that another school has offered me a bigger scholarship. Is it a faux pas to call up Mizzou and ask them to match the other school's offer? I like the other school just fine, but going to Mizzou would be more convenient for a variety of reasons. Plus, truth be told I think I like Mizzou better. Any advice would be much appreciated.

So here's my dilemma...

I really like this school. The students and faculty are incredibly nice, and I'm really impressed by all the materials they sent after my acceptance. My problem is that another school has offered me a bigger scholarship. Is it a faux pas to call up Mizzou and ask them to match the other school's offer? I like the other school just fine, but going to Mizzou would be more convenient for a variety of reasons. Plus, truth be told I think I like Mizzou better. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Did you already received the award letter from MU? If the answer is "no", which I am assuming is the case, I would wait until you have received the award letter. I think you can try to bargain after you see what have been offered to you, but knowing schools have many applicants on the wait list, I doubt that you will be successful.

Did you already received the award letter from MU? If the answer is "no", which I am assuming is the case, I would wait until you have received the award letter. I think you can try to bargain after you see what have been offered to you, but knowing schools have many applicants on the wait list, I doubt that you will be successful.

I have actually already received a scholarship offer from Mizzou. Maybe I should just grow a pair and give them a call...

I have actually already received a scholarship offer from Mizzou. Maybe I should just grow a pair and give them a call...

How? They said award letters wouldn't come out til the end of April...

when do award letters come out? I've had an acceptance here for like two months and my Fafsa was done march 1

Award letters come out the end of April via e-mail. However, the Dean has a set of awards to personally hand out via snail mail which have already been distributed, although I don't know if all of them have been.

has anyone else heard of anything happening with the wait list? Do they tell you anything besides what third you are in if you call... as far as how many spots you have moved up, etc??

I haven't heard anything recently. But when I called a month or so ago, they told me what third I was in. They said they accepted a little over a third from the wait list last year, also. :D

Edit: okay, duh, that didn't answer your question at all. No I haven't tried calling again, but that's an interesting question! I imagine most movement will happen riiiiiight after May 15 though.

Last edited:
Hey, I actually called the OME today. They said they have only taken 2 off of the wait list so far. May 15th needs to get here faster!

Hey, I actually called the OME today. They said they have only taken 2 off of the wait list so far. May 15th needs to get here faster!

No kidding! All I know is that I'm in the top third too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's completely atypical.. IIRC, our year they were only up to 8 or 9 heading into May 15, and then things kind of exploded. Try not to read too much into this- it really does vary by year.

Received my finaid award letter today. Small scholarship but probably not enough to matter though.

They did not tell me how far. I didn't ask, I was too excited to think of any questions. But if you are top third I would keep that phone right by you becuase you will probably be getting a call soon. I had a friend last year that was middle third and got the call at the end of May. Best of luck to you!

..........!!! I was pulled off of the alternate list at Case!!! :D

I'll be giving up my MU "waitlist spot" ....hopefully shortening the distance to the top for some of you ^_^

Tho TBH they told me I was at the top of the middle third, but still well within the # of students they took off of the waitlist last year...so I don't know if that will help you much at all! >_<

Good luck, I'm still rooting for the rest of you on the waitlist! MU really impressed me. But Case stole my heart <3

The list should have been moving quite a bit lately; did anyone get some good news? Here's to hoping you are all finding homes for the next years! :luck:

I called the OME today and talked to Alison, she told me they were in the middle of the top third of the wait list. She laughed a little when I told her my name, she said they were very close to me, just a few people away. So here's to another week of keeping my phone by my side!

I just declined my acceptance at Missouri.

I love you Mizzou! You were my first acceptance and very much like the first love that had to be broken off because the girl's parents don't approve.

Missouri is a hidden gem, I hope my spot goes to one of you!

The wait list sure seems to be moving awfully slow this year. According to last year's thread, they were already into the middle third of the list less than a week after May 15th, but this year it has been more than a week since the 15th and they are not even through the top third yet. I'm starting to get a little nervous, I expected to hear something by now, being in the top third.

The wait list sure seems to be moving awfully slow this year. According to last year's thread, they were already into the middle third of the list less than a week after May 15th, but this year it has been more than a week since the 15th and they are not even through the top third yet. I'm starting to get a little nervous, I expected to hear something by now, being in the top third.

Maybe people really want instate tuition this year considering the ecomomy and changes in healthcare? I am not sure...

Keep hanging in there! I know last year there was a lot of movement in May (when I had called they were a little bit ahead of the year before) however things really slowed down and they ended up pulling less off the waitlist than the year before. So I'm assuming the year before had better movement after May. Basically, just because its off to a slower start right now doesn't mean they won't end up pulling a lot off the list in the next few weeks. Crossing my fingers and hoping this is true for those of you still waiting to hear. :xf:

Good Luck to everyone!

Got the call today! University of Missouri School of Medicine Class of 2014!!! No more waiting after 2 application cycles and 3 months on the wait list!

The $400,000 anatomy lab renovation is complete. It's nice! Here is a little teaser for you guys...

newanatomylab.jpg

I saw in the article where they are "updating" the PBL labs, as well. Any idea what they are doing to update them, or are they just adding room for the next 8 of us?

The last time I was in the M1 labs, which was just over 2 weeks ago, they'd completely torn down all the crappy old wallpaper and baseboards, so at a minimum that will all be replaced. The Dungeon had definitely been transformed into a construction zone but I don't know what else they were working on.

I saw in the article where they are "updating" the PBL labs, as well. Any idea what they are doing to update them, or are they just adding room for the next 8 of us?

Funny you post this question since I walked through the M1 labs this very afternoon just to see what was up. The new lab is framed and sheetrock has been hung/mudded. It's actually larger than I expected, although oddly shaped. The wallpaper has been stripped from the rest of the labs and the walls have been primed. It looks like a couple of labs have been repainted. I got a lot of funny looks by the construction crew as I wandered through so I didn't stay long. Anyway, you are getting a much needed cosmetic refresh for the whole area.

I am looking for a roommate to rent a townhome or apt. PM me if your interested. THANKS!

I got a phone call this morning that I got taken off the waitlist! I have some thinking to do. Does anyone know if I took a trip down to MU again to take a second look (I am OOS), that someone there would be willing to show me around the school again and sell me more on Columbia?

Also, does MU have a computer requirement this year? I think I remember that the students who gave us a tour at the interview all had the same computer. I may be wrong though. Thanks!

I got a phone call this morning that I got taken off the waitlist! I have some thinking to do. Does anyone know if I took a trip down to MU again to take a second look (I am OOS), that someone there would be willing to show me around the school again and sell me more on Columbia?

Also, does MU have a computer requirement this year? I think I remember that the students who gave us a tour at the interview all had the same computer. I may be wrong though. Thanks!

Congrats! You'd have to call the office and see if they could wrestle up a couple of Student Ambassadors for a tour. I would volunteer to show you around, but I'm on surgery right now so the timing would have to be just right for me to pull that off.

MU's computer requirement is that you have one. About a third of the class has MacBooks, most everyone else runs Windows, and I think two people ran some sort of Linux concoction. Bring what you have -- it'll work. Don't get hung up on processor or memory requirements. Pretty much everything is online so you need a web browser, Acrobat Reader, and Microsoft Office (which you can get for cheap at the bookstore). I run a Mac and it has not been an issue at all.

Any particular questions or concerns you have about the city or the school that maybe I could answer for you? Feel free to PM me if it's something you don't want to ask on the forum.

Any particular questions or concerns you have about the city or the school that maybe I could answer for you? Feel free to PM me if it's something you don't want to ask on the forum.

THANKS! I sent you a PM.

Has anyone called Mizzou lately to see where they are at on the waitlist or if it has moved much in the past couple weeks? I feel like it is unlikely that too many more spots will open up and I am about to ready to commit to another school. Any input is much appreciated

Do we get any part of Thanksgiving week off? The calendars don't mention anything about Thanksgiving, they just go straight from the week off in October after exams to Christmas break.

Classes will go through Wed of Thanksgiving week. There will be a shorter PBL case that goes only M-W (no F) with its case wrap-up. You'll have Thurs and Fri off and start up again on Monday. There won't be any Intro to Pt Care small groups, but there will likely be Monday lectures for IPC.

Hey all-- I am trying to set up my student email account through Outlook... and when I go to the set up a new account, it gives me this error message:

"Welcome ------------. (Student)

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle error '80040e0c'

Command text was not set for the command object.

/outlooklive/global.inc, line 292"

Does anyone know what is wrong? Could it be that I am trying to do this on a Mac?

Hey all-- I am trying to set up my student email account through Outlook... and when I go to the set up a new account, it gives me this error message:

"Welcome ------------. (Student)

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle error '80040e0c'

Command text was not set for the command object.

/outlooklive/global.inc, line 292"

Does anyone know what is wrong? Could it be that I am trying to do this on a Mac?

I'm nearly worthless when it comes to technology but I'm including a link for the Help section of MU's Department of IT's website. The link entitled Knowledge Base is basically an FAQ and if nothing else, you can always call the "Help Desk" and you'll get a live person (during normal business hours, I think) who can help you out. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.