How do you become a pediatric (insert specialty)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, i tried looking at the FAQ, but most of the links were broken.

Im starting volunteering at academic children's hospital and pretty much all the doctors seem to be "pediatric <blank>"

For example: pediatric radiologist,transplant surgeon, oncologist, anesthesiologist,etc.

What is the training path for non-primary care pediatrics? Do you do a residency in the given specialty and then a fellowship to do it for pediatrics? Do a pediatrics residency and then a fellowship in the specialty?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, i tried looking at the FAQ, but most of the links were broken.

Im starting volunteering at academic children's hospital and pretty much all the doctors seem to be "pediatric <blank>"

For example: pediatric radiologist,transplant surgeon, oncologist, anesthesiologist,etc.

What is the training path for non-primary care pediatrics? Do you do a residency in the given specialty and then a fellowship to do it for pediatrics? Do a pediatrics residency and then a fellowship in the specialty?

Pediatric specialties, including but not limited to:

neonatology
critical care
endocrinology
infectious diseases
renal
pulmonary
rheumatology
GI/liver/nutrition
cardiology
adolescent medicine
heme/onc

consist of 3 year fellowships done after a 3 year pediatric residency

There are a few special cases:

Pedi EM
Pedi neuro
hospitalist
Pedi allergy and immunology

that have somewhat mixed or multiple paths

Then there are specialties of non-pediatric primary fields in which one does the primary field first and then fellowship training in pediatric centers specific to children:

These include but are not limited to:

Pediatric surgery (5 yrs gen surgery+ research, then 2 yrs pedi surg fellowship)
Pedi radiology
pedi anesthesiology
pedi surgical specialties (NS/ortho/urology, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Pediatric cardiovascular surgery (heart transplants in babies) has a unique path of training as well.

General Surgery (5yrs) + research + elbow grease + fellowship (1-2yrs) + sucking golf balls through garden hose (1yr) = incredible surgeons

Pediatric specialties, including but not limited to:

neonatology
critical care
endocrinology
infectious diseases
renal
pulmonary
rheumatology
GI/liver/nutrition
cardiology
adolescent medicine
heme/onc

consist of 3 year fellowships done after a 3 year pediatric residency

*sniff sniff* Why do people always leave out Developmental/Behavioral Pediatrics from lists like these? :(

*sniff sniff* Why do people always leave out Developmental/Behavioral Pediatrics from lists like these? :(

The 8 months it takes to get an appointment with you guys??:smuggrin:

j/k

I left out academic general too. I'm sure there were others, I didn't work off the ABP list.....

Dermatology + Pedi derm fellowship = Pedi Dermatologist, right?

Did you put Allergy/Immuno in that separate list because it's 2 years instead of 3, or is there another (mixed) pathway?

Dermatology + Pedi derm fellowship = Pedi Dermatologist, right?

Did you put Allergy/Immuno in that separate list because it's 2 years instead of 3, or is there another (mixed) pathway?

Yes although some pedi derms have done a full pedi residency. Others do their internship in pedi. There are so few pedi derms I'd need one of them to find this thread and tell us the current most common route.

Allergy and immunology has unique pathways and I believe most if not all programs require you rotate on an adult service as well as the pedi service. Adult A and I rotate through pedi too. Again, I defer to an expert for the details here.

Expanding a little on OBP's list:
consist of 3 year fellowships done after a 3 year pediatric residency (fellowship accredited by the American Board of Pediatrics)

neonatology
critical care
endocrinology
infectious diseases
nephrology
pulmonary
rheumatology
gastroenterolgy
cardiology
heme/onc
developmental pediatrics
child abuse and neglect (after 2010 requires a 3 year fellowship and has the standard "scholarly work" component, i.e. publication of some research)

There are a few special cases (that have somewhat mixed or multiple paths):
-Adolescent (boarded by ABP, but three pathways: Peds+standard 3 years or FM or IM+2 years fellowship)

-Pedi EM (Peds+3 years [has research requirement] or EM+ 2 years. Exam is administered by the ABP but the ABP and ABEM are "cosponsoring boards" and a Ped-->PEM would be certified by the ABP, an EM-->PEM by ABEM)

-Pedi neuro and Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (multiple pathways. The most common is 2-3 years of peds residency followed by 3 years of "fellowship" which is really a residency in neurology. 1st year of fellowship is adult neurology and the latter two years specific training in child neurology or NDD [which will include substantial neurology]. This specialty is boarded by the ABPN and practitioners are neurologists with "special qualification" in Child or NDD. If they meet eligibility for board certification in Peds, they may be dual boarded, though BC in Peds is not required. More recently the 2 year-of peds residency pathway has become more strict and requires certain rotations in peds to be completed [reducing scheduling flexibility] before fellowship. The other two pathways are 1 year of Peds, 1 year of IM (a pathway utilized mostly by people who started in adult neurology but want child/NDD training from what I heard) or one year of peds and a held PhD in neuroscience)

-Hospitalist (no board and does not require formal hospitalist training. However there are a handful of training programs focusing on academic pediatrics for hospitalists that are 1-2 years long)

-Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (boarded by ABAI which is cosponsored by the ABP and ABIM. Entry into field is via Peds, Internal Medicine, or Med/Peds. Fellowship is 2-3 years in length. No such thing really as a "pediatric" or "adult" AA&I, just where the person practices and with whom. Training encompasses all ages)

-Palliative Care (brand new to being a boarded subspecialty-or will be soon. Multiple pathways: Peds, IM, FM, EM, OB/GYN, Psych, radiology + 2 years fellowship. BC is not required to practice palliative medicine, but there is a drive to make universal standards of training and quality of practitioners via certification. Exam is administered by the ABIM, but there are multiple cosponsoring boards. DOs who've done an AOA residency in muliple specialties may sit for an exam cosponsored by AOBFM, AOBIM, AOBPN,and AOBPM&R)

-Sports Medicine (multiple pathways including FM, Peds, IM, EM, PM&R, and ortho + fellowship. Multiple individual boards may provide certification.)

-Genetics (gets very confusing. There are muliple types of geneticists and pathways. I'm now too tired and confused to write about them)

Then there are specialties of non-pediatric primary fields in which one does the primary field first and then fellowship training in pediatric centers specific to children:

These include but are not limited to:

Pediatric surgery (5 yrs gen surgery+ research, then 2 yrs pedi surg fellowship)
Pedi radiology (4 years rad + 1-2 years peds rad)
pedi anesthesiology
pedi surgical specialties
NS
ortho
urology
ENT
Peds Cardiothoracic Surgery (who'd all be in the poor-house if they just did transplant;))
Peds Gynecology
Child Psychiatry

There are also accelerated pathways into combined training: Meds/Peds, Peds/Derm, Peds/Genetics, Peds/EM (general), Peds/PM&R, and Peds/Psych/Child Psych (the triple board).

I've also seen a peds neuro program that was a 5 year combined residency (or could be entered after completing the 2-3 years of peds, which then was only 3 more years).

wow well i guess if I want to delay making career decisions even longer then peds residency seems to be a good way to go ;)

But thanks alot for all of the replies, ill have to keep my eyes and ears open at the children's hospital. For some reason I had never really considered doing a peds field, but it seems like it would be really rewarding.

Also peds MDs/nurses/etc. seem to be more friendly and excited about their work than alot of their counterparts in other fields so it seems like it would be a really good work enviroment.

I've also seen a peds neuro program that was a 5 year combined residency (or could be entered after completing the 2-3 years of peds, which then was only 3 more years).

I think what you're speaking of is the fact that some people apply to a peds residency and neuro fellowship at the same place and same time functionally "linking" the two. Likewise one coming from peds may apply to a peds residency and child neuro fellsowship at the same time but at different places. This gets sticky for some since the residency has to be willing to schedule very specifically and know that they may be shy a third year resident when or if they go off to fellowship (early). Others apply for fellowship during residency. Unless they've been lucky or judicious in their year 1&2 scheduling, those are the ones that may be obligated to do the 3 years of peds residency before fellowship.

I think what you're speaking of is the fact that some people apply to a peds residency and neuro fellowship at the same place and same time functionally "linking" the two. Likewise one coming from peds may apply to a peds residency and child neuro fellsowship at the same time but at different places. This gets sticky for some since the residency has to be willing to schedule very specifically and know that they may be shy a third year resident when or if they go off to fellowship (early). Others apply for fellowship during residency. Unless they've been lucky or judicious in their year 1&2 scheduling, those are the ones that may be obligated to do the 3 years of peds residency before fellowship.

Is that what this is?

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/ed/clinical/combined/neurology/default.htm

wow well i guess if I want to delay making career decisions even longer then peds residency seems to be a good way to go ;)

Not that long a delay. Most folks who aren't going to do a chief residency year will decide by mid-way through their second year of residency.

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to be a PGY-1 in peds and am super confused about fellowship applications. The only reason I'm asking now is because we have to put in our choices for electives (we get 2 this year). I'm not 100% sure what I want to do yet, but hoping to try things I'm interested in and which would require an early application process (so I can try to get a nice letter of rec). I'm wondering if someone would be so kind as to tell me to which fellowships you apply during second year (fall/spring?) and which third year (fall/spring?) if you want to go straight into fellowship after a 3 year residency. Or, please post a link where I can find this information easily laid out - NRMP is very confusing to navigate.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to be a PGY-1 in peds and am super confused about fellowship applications. The only reason I'm asking now is because we have to put in our choices for electives (we get 2 this year). I'm not 100% sure what I want to do yet, but hoping to try things I'm interested in and which would require an early application process (so I can try to get a nice letter of rec). I'm wondering if someone would be so kind as to tell me to which fellowships you apply during second year (fall/spring?) and which third year (fall/spring?) if you want to go straight into fellowship after a 3 year residency. Or, please post a link where I can find this information easily laid out - NRMP is very confusing to navigate.

Thanks!

Yeah, it's kind of confusing. Basically the fellowships you need to apply for during 2nd yr are as follows:
- Cards
- Endocrine
- GI
- Heme/Onc
- ID
- NICU
- Pulm

But even the deadlines are different for some of them.

Here's a link to the pdf that my program gave regarding the deadlines for fellowships:

CHP Fellowship link (the schedule is on page 4)

Thanks Rutgers - that was exactly the information I was trying to find!