Taking AOA (AOBP) pediatric boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sqe131

Reaction score
Any one else sick of the ABP and planning on taking the American Osteopathic Board of Pediatrics board exam. This 75-80 percent pass rate for ABP is insane compared to other specialities. They won’t be getting any more of my money. From my understanding the abp and Aobp are equal? Can anyone comment on this. It seems like post-merger, acgme recommends taking either ABMS or AOA boards.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Should be fine if you're doing gen peds, NICU, A/I, or sports medicine. If you're doing any other pediatric subspecialty, you won't be able to sit for those board exams without the ABP board certification (since AOBP doesn't offer boards for those other fields).

In the eyes of the law they’re equivalent. So a job that requires just gen peds BC then either will work. Then the above poster tells you what subspecialty boards they have that you would qualify for.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Totally worth it if you just need board certification. Jobs aka the real world do not care and in your resume you can just write “Board Certified in Pediatrics” if you’re really that worried, because jobs are not allowed to discriminate. If you have trouble with ABP, take the AOBP early to get certification out of the way before your eligibility expires (you have 7 years to take it after residency, just like ABP).

The information so far is correct. To add a little clarity: the ABP and AOBP are legally equivalent certifying bodies that are overseen and certified by the American Academy of Pediatrics. I am board certified by both. Message me if you have questions