Honors college worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GregoryMD

EMT-B
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna start at university of arizona in the fall as a physiology major, going down the pre-med route. I can get into the Honors college if I get a 3.5 GPA my first semester, which I know I will have. Question is, is the honors degree really worth it in terms of med school applications and competitiveness? Or should I focus more on the regular route, keeping my GPA high and working on extra curriculars and prep for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

What does the Honors College tout as its features? Smaller, more interesting classes? A thesis at the end? Special reading room in the library? Extra cord to wear when you graduate? These might be more compelling reasons to enroll than what an adcom might consider several years from now.
I have a friend who graduated summa cum laud with departmental honors who chose not to do Honors College because it meant she would have had to take honors versions of all those general ed classes she had AP/IB credit in. It gave her lots of time to pursue advanced classes because she didn't have to take those.
Just something to consider. I don't know what your university honors college offers.

I'm gonna start at university of arizona in the fall as a physiology major, going down the pre-med route. I can get into the Honors college if I get a 3.5 GPA my first semester, which I know I will have. Question is, is the honors degree really worth it in terms of med school applications and competitiveness? Or should I focus more on the regular route, keeping my GPA high and working on extra curriculars and prep for the MCAT?

Without a doubt focus more on keeping your GPA high, extra curriculars, and MCAT prep. Don't trick yourself into thinking that this is anything more than a dressed up dog show.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will it get you into a better (quieter and cleaner) dorm like at ASU? Will you get preferable treatment on registration for classes?

What extra do you have to do? A thesis? Special honors section classes?

Honestly, for med school app purposes, I don't think it is worth it unless something really tangible like getting a room in a nicer dorm is part of it...

I know someone who did the ASU honors for the first 2 years mainly so he could qualify for the nice honors dorm...then he moved off campus and did not continue the honors program because it required a research project above and beyond what he had to do for his major, and he decided it was too much hassle. He said the mandatory honors semester seminars were very good, though.

You should enroll into the Honors College. Regardless of the cords, it helps show that you're a hard working student. It's like getting on the "Dean's List" except this is a little more tangible.

Without a doubt focus more on keeping your GPA high, extra curriculars, and MCAT prep. Don't trick yourself into thinking that this is anything more than a dressed up dog show.
Good luck.

I see. Reason I ask is because in high school, I didn't get involved with the school's related extra curriculars, and pursued my own. So when scholarship time came around, despite having a 4.0 GPA, I was only 89% percentile, and didn't get a single scholarship awarded to me. Mostly because the local scholarships were really competitive, and biased toward the ones who were heads of all the school clubs.

I chose to do independent research with a pain clinic in scottsdale, I got my EMT-B certification, and over a hundred hours volunteering in an ER. 4.0 GPA. And I get zilch. Sure my SATs could have been better, but I got into the college I wanted so I didn't bother for a re-test.

So my question was basically, is med school just like how this ordeal was, and pretty much promoted the ones who got involved in all the right things, or will my approach (grades high, independent extra curriculars in my specific interest) make me competitive enough for med school?

I think it's a good idea to participate in whatever honors program your university offers. I shunned that stuff in HS, but as a pre-med in college, you should take every opportunity to separate yourself from the crowd.

As far as ECs go. It seems like pretty much all applicants have done some sort of clinical work (volunteer at ER or EMT, etc) and also some form of academic research work (run gels, pipette a million times, prepare tissue cultures etc). I would do all the standard stuff but then try to pile on meaningful activities on top of it that would separate you from the crowd. Maybe you can get a guest starring role in a film, win a karate championship, start a band and sell a thousand songs... who knows. Anything to show that you're not just a typical cookie cutter pre-med.

Last edited:
depending on the school it may mean these benefits:

1. scholarship
2. nicer dorms
3. trips to foreign countries for dirt cheap
4. maybe smaller classes

and these cons:
1. mandatory seminars/volunteering that you could have been working
2. lack of diversity
3. going to foreign countries with a set crowd of Americans and basing your ideas of a country on that experience
4. busted girls

depending on the school it may mean these benefits:

1. scholarship
2. nicer dorms
3. trips to foreign countries for dirt cheap
4. maybe smaller classes

and these cons:
1. mandatory seminars/volunteering that you could have been working
2. lack of diversity
3. going to foreign countries with a set crowd of Americans and basing your ideas of a country on that experience
4. busted girls

I support this post, except for the foreign country thing. We didn't have that.

in my honors college we were required to take a certain number of lower divisional hours in honors versions of classes along with 2 honors classes in the major and one upper divisional seminar class.

I think it's a good think b/c when you take a class in honors you're competing with the smartest kids in the school for grades... As opposed to a larger class where you've got the idiots helping out the curve. I know my honors classes were significantly harder than their non-honors counterparts.

As opposed to a larger class where you've got the idiots helping out the curve. I know my honors classes were significantly harder than their non-honors counterparts.

and this is a good thing how?

The honors program where I am going is something that you apply to before you get to the school. They look at all your stats and stuff PLUS i had to fill out another application with a couple essays attached. Basically I( have to take 6 classes that are designated honors. From what they have told me, some of these will be the same as the regular classes just an added essay or something of that sort. Granted I am going to a really small school on a baseball scholarship, and the school you are going to is much bigger.

Pros
1. Extra 1,000 dollars scholarship money which is going towards room and board.
2. Get to put it down on AMCAS as Award/Honor

To me, the benefits outweighed the hassle.

GPA is one the most important factors in your application. But, having honors on there would be pretty sweet. Plus, you would probably get a more challenging course that would prepare you better for medical school. Also, you may be noticed by professors better.

This would all work fine, if you don't jeopardize your GPA.

My advice would be to talk to the students in the honors program and really get a good feel of the rigor before you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
The honors program where I am going is something that you apply to before you get to the school. They look at all your stats and stuff PLUS i had to fill out another application with a couple essays attached. Basically I( have to take 6 classes that are designated honors. From what they have told me, some of these will be the same as the regular classes just an added essay or something of that sort. Granted I am going to a really small school on a baseball scholarship, and the school you are going to is much bigger.

Pros
1. Extra 1,000 dollars scholarship money which is going towards room and board.
2. Get to put it down on AMCAS as Award/Honor

To me, the benefits outweighed the hassle.

Do it for #1; that is all the reason you need.

As for #2, I know it seems crazy, especially to a pre-frosh, but med schools really don't give a **** about this...simply being in the Honors College is not in and of itself an honor...being elected to Phi Beta Kappa is an honor worthy of mention on AMCAS...winning an external fellowship like Fulbright, Rhodes, Goldwater, etc., is a huge honor worth mentioning, and often the mentoring in an Honors College is geared towards getting students into these programs...but being in the Honors College is really not a distinction or honor, in and of itself...

I did it, and it was worth it for me because:

1. The small classes were taught by professors who really liked the topics they were teaching. The topics were interesting to me. I read a lot of good books that I would've never read otherwise, and I had to write a lot of papers, which improved my writing skills a lot. Had I not taken honors classes, I would have only written a couple of papers in college (bio major, chem minor). These small classes are also very useful for getting LORs. The instructors were typically full-tenure professors who had been around for a long time (one was the former chancellor), and since the classes were only 12-14 students, they actually knew you pretty well.

2. Scholarships available only to honors students. Got a nice scholarship at the end of my junior year that really helped out.

3. EARLY REGISTRATION. I always packed in lots of science classes with multiple labs and discussion sections. I had a lot of friends who didn't get the courses they needed when they needed them, but this was never a problem for me.

Do I think that med schools were impressed by the honors college? Probably not, but that's okay, since that wasn't the reason I did it.

I've found it worth it, and am listing it on my application (although I don't expect it to matter much, with one exception).

1. My honors classes tend to be better experiences than my non-honors classes. Small class sizes, engaging discussion, great professors, and intriguing work. My upper level major classes are small and I enjoy those too, but honors classes are on another level.
2. I've gotten to know the Honors College staff very well, and they've been money in assisting several student organizations I'm in. Helping set up a 501(c)(3) account, finding graduate students for social work / education purposes, setting up a class, etc. They have connections, and when they know you personally, they can help you reach your goals.
3. As a honors student we're eligible to receive grants for research, travel, etc. Every student receives a scholarship upon enrollment. The Honors College seems to be the only department of my university not having budget cutbacks.
4. You get to register early, you get the best housing on campus, the super cheap Maymester abroad courses are available only to you, etc.
5. They require a senior thesis, but that sort of intellectual project is a good thing in my opinion. Many medical schools like research, so if you can match that up with your thesis, you're golden.
6. One of my state medical schools adds boosts to students' GPA depending on the school they come from. If you come from my university, you get an extra 0.25 (I think that's the value) added if you're in honors than if you aren't.

So many reasons I like the Honors College, no drawback (although for some friends, the thesis isn't worth it to them). Even if it didn't help me at this one school, I;ve enjoyed it.

I've found it worth it, and am listing it on my application (although I don't expect it to matter much, with one exception).

1. My honors classes tend to be better experiences than my non-honors classes. Small class sizes, engaging discussion, great professors, and intriguing work. My upper level major classes are small and I enjoy those too, but honors classes are on another level.
2. I've gotten to know the Honors College staff very well, and they've been money in assisting several student organizations I'm in. Helping set up a 501(c)(3) account, finding graduate students for social work / education purposes, setting up a class, etc. They have connections, and when they know you personally, they can help you reach your goals.
3. As a honors student we're eligible to receive grants for research, travel, etc. Every student receives a scholarship upon enrollment. The Honors College seems to be the only department of my university not having budget cutbacks.
4. You get to register early, you get the best housing on campus, the super cheap Maymester abroad courses are available only to you, etc.
5. They require a senior thesis, but that sort of intellectual project is a good thing in my opinion. Many medical schools like research, so if you can match that up with your thesis, you're golden.
6. One of my state medical schools adds boosts to students' GPA depending on the school they come from. If you come from my university, you get an extra 0.25 (I think that's the value) added if you're in honors than if you aren't.

So many reasons I like the Honors College, no drawback (although for some friends, the thesis isn't worth it to them). Even if it didn't help me at this one school, I;ve enjoyed it.

wow

i do recommend everyone to look at their honors or scholars website to see they actually offer. SDN will vary by the person and, definitely, by the school. This is something you should really ask upperclassmen. Hit the bball court or ask your TAs

At my school it is worth it. You get early enrollment, smaller classes, and research for an honors thesis.

Half of these responses are ******ed.

Like someone pointed out the honors classes are usually more difficult to get good grades in. Your job in college, if you want to get into med school, is to get the best grades you can. If you think you can do just as well in the honors tract (gpa wise), then by all means do it. If you think it is going to cost you some A's, I'd say to hell with it.

Most people that haven't applied, which seems to be the people who are replying in this thread, think things like being in the honors college do you a lot of good. I'm more than confident these types of things don't make a significant difference in the quality of your application. Do whatever gets you the best grades, regardless of whether it's in the honors college or not.

in my honors college we were required to take a certain number of lower divisional hours in honors versions of classes along with 2 honors classes in the major and one upper divisional seminar class.

I think it's a good think b/c when you take a class in honors you're competing with the smartest kids in the school for grades... As opposed to a larger class where you've got the idiots helping out the curve. I know my honors classes were significantly harder than their non-honors counterparts.

At my school it was EXACTLY the opposite. The honors college was set up so that they could justify giving everyone in the class an A. In addition, the profs would allow the students to take extra time to complete the final exams and projects (like 3-6 months after the class was over) so they could concentrate on their other finals.

Huge waste of time unless you're really in it for the experience.

Like someone pointed out the honors classes are usually more difficult to get good grades in. Your job in college, if you want to get into med school, is to get the best grades you can. If you think you can do just as well in the honors tract (gpa wise), then by all means do it. If you think it is going to cost you some A's, I'd say to hell with it.

Most people that haven't applied, which seems to be the people who are replying in this thread, think things like being in the honors college do you a lot of good. I'm more than confident these types of things don't make a significant difference in the quality of your application. Do whatever gets you the best grades, regardless of whether it's in the honors college or not.

Money.

I'm a little late responding, and I didn't read everyone's response.

I graduated with Honors from the University of Arizona, and I was in the Honors college from day 1. Just keep in mind that I graduated in 2004.

The best things about it are that you get the 6 month library book check out and you get to register with the Juniors as a frosh and soph (then you just register with your class). They've also got the Honors College advisers who can be helpful. A big draw when I started (in 1999) was that they had their own computer lab -- there was no wireless on campus, and the ILC wasn't there (started construction on it the 2nd day of college for me -- I hate construction). So if I didn't want to go back to my dorm, I could just go to the Honors College for computers, and they had space. I also lived in AZ/So for my first year which was an "Honors Dorm." I didn't really see much difference, except I had a bunch of classmates from chem in my dorm, and we'd study together.

Some of the honors classes are WAY harder than they needed to be. I got most of my units done in the 100 and 200 level and in Gen Eds. I did 1 chem class in honors, and it was way more theoretical than I liked, but I finished. Regular gen chem was much better. I went to the first lab of a 181 or 182 bio lab for honors, and they required reading 4 or 5 novels and writing essays in addition to the labs.

Arizona does have a nice option to turn any class into honors (up to 6 units/semester, I think). I did that for some of the easier gen eds (Comparative Religion and Christian Literature and Thought) -- each only required 1 additional essay due before finals.

Also, some of the other honors classes as 400s are really grad classes. The Immunology class I took was listed as a 400, but it was the same class as the intro to immuno for the grad school students (500 level). It was one of the best classes I took.

I found my research lab for my thesis through my immuno prof. I was asked about my undergrad research on several residency interviews this last year.

GO CATS!

Here's the Arizona Honors College perks links. You can easily find their main website through it.

One of the bad things about the Honors College is that they send out stuff (like the rest of UA) asking for money.

If you have any more questions about the Honors College, PM me. I wasn't involved in it other than doing the bare minimum honors credits, and deciding at the last minute I'd do the thesis.

lol, I think getting a B in biochem is more impressive to a medical school then getting an A in some BS intro level class......

How about you JUST DO WELL in your honors classes. I got As all of my upper divisional honors classes. So if I go to an interview and someone asks, "what's the difference between an honors class and non-honors class at your university?" I can explain that I competed with the smartest kids in the school and still got an A. If you don't think you can get As while competing against the smarter KIDS IN COLLEGE then how the hell are you going to compete with KIDS IN MEDICAL SCHOOL to get good grades?

Not worth it if you're doing it to get into med school...won't work.

Depending on the medical school you apply to you may get a GPA "boost" if your school is considered compeditive, very compeditive etc. For example the medical school I'm applying to gives a .55 added onto my GPA for being part of the honors college, while anyone else applying from my school only gets a .35 boost. Totally worth it. And everything everyone else has been saying- scholarships, close relationships with faculty etc etc

Like many have said above, it would only help you if you get great grades. If you are in honors and you get a 3.5gpa or below, it negates the point of being in honors. Consider your major and how hard it may be to you, if you can. Physiology should be okay in terms of difficulty, I think most would agree. I can't stress how important it is to never commit to something that may reduce your gpa. It is not a bad time to consider what kind of medical school do you want to go to. If its a top 10, then you want to do everything you possibly can do to make your self competitive. But of course, take into account what you can or can't handle.

I've visited ASU a couple of weeks ago, they are building a new biomedical research center and it looks great. Good luck.

Like many have said above, it would only help you if you get great grades. If you are in honors and you get a 3.5gpa or below, it negates the point of being in honors. Consider your major and how hard it may be to you, if you can. Physiology should be okay in terms of difficulty, I think most would agree. I can't stress how important it is to never commit to something that may reduce your gpa. It is not a bad time to consider what kind of medical school do you want to go to. If its a top 10, then you want to do everything you possibly can do to make your self competitive. But of course, take into account what you can or can't handle.

I've visited ASU a couple of weeks ago, they are building a new biomedical research center and it looks great. Good luck.

Just to add something specific to Arizona.

Fortunately, for in state residents, at the University of Arizona, you need to maintain a 3.5 to stay in the Honors College. It's super easy to keep a good GPA if you don't take the early bio or chem as honors, and you take your Gen Eds as honors.

There's not too much difference between class sizes for a lot of classes because most of the sciences will just have a different lab session for honors, but the same lectures, so you get the same attention you would with a TA (a prof taught the honors intro bio class I decided not to take).

Also BIG plus of the Honors college at Arizona: You don't need to graduate with honors to be a part of it! Just maintain the GPA requirements. :thumbup:

My roommate was in the Honors College all 5 years (we were both super seniors), and she didn't take a single honors class.

Is Honors College worth it if they offer a guaranteed admission into their graduate program and medical school?

I would go with the regular route, eat a 3.9, kill the mcats, and go to med schl

The Honors route to me is a distraction.

Can somebody tell me the medical schools that boost gpa for honors?

I was in Honors College all three years I spent in undergrad. Are there benefits? Sure. Plenty of them are already written above.. :rolleyes:
Again, it depends on the particular university you go to.

What were the benefits?

The best dorm on campus. (Located by the best cafeteria, too. Ah, easily accessible dorm food..)

Smaller, therefore easier (for me) classes.. I built up a good relationship with several of my professors-- one of them actually wrote one of my LORs, despite the fact that it was two years after we last saw each other face-to-face. (I went to a Masters program before applying to Med School.)

Early registration.. which means first pick of the classes/class times/best professors. (I do believe the only people that registered before us were the hard-core athletes.)

Wicked fun and strange elective classes. I have credit for going on what can essentially be classed as a field trip and writing a page-long essay.. which I could have turned in late and still gotten credit on. I have credit for a "Farside Entomology" class. (Farside.. as in comics. The whole premise of the class was basically playing word-association with a Farside comic strip and making a short PowerPoint twice a semester. With a partner.)

Undergraduate research was easier to arrange. (I was a Microbiology major, so it wasn't difficult anyway.)

Undergraduate thesis-- which, since I'm applying MD/PhD looks good. (Some research experience in general will make you look more "diverse" in my opinion.)

Still, in the long run, odds are medical schools won't care a bit if you're on an honors track or not. Find out the benefits, and figure out if it's worth it for you, rather than the Admissions Committee people.. who won't care about it anyway.

(..I do, however, get some internal gloating points for being able to say I have an "Honors Bachelor of Science" degree.)

The only things I've found honors useful for are: 1) getting to live in the honors dorm, which was significantly nicer than any of the general student dorms, and 2) exposed me to some other areas of study (due to required courses) that I otherwise wouldn't have pursued. I've never been asked about it, and I highly doubt it matters one iota. If having "honors" printed on your diploma is worth the pain in the ass, go for it. Personally I didn't find it worth it.

I didn't think it was ...

Requirements: Small colloquium with other honors kids, Thesis, must take specific honors courses, volunteer XX hours at places

Benefits: sign up for classes early, get to live in ****tier dorms closer main campus, close interaction with professors from your department, extra line on diploma

I chose not to do it. There was no way I was going to complete all the requirements in the time I wanted to (graduating early) and thought a theses was BS, just for "honors" on your UG diploma ...

Though I'm still scrambling to find a LOR from another science prof so it would have definitely been helpful in that respect

you're going to have an MD what does it matter you finished a bachelors with honors ... pretty much everyone who gets into medical school could have an "Honors" tag

you're going to have an MD what does it matter you finished a bachelors with honors ... pretty much everyone who gets into medical school could have an "Honors" tag

word.

choosing not to do honors was the best decision everrr. some of my close friends are in the honors program and are busting their butts/ are graduating late because of their theses. funny thing is, im doing research with a professor that would have been my thesis advisor had i chosen to be an honors student. I actually like what im studying and i think its because i dont have the pressure of writing a 70+ page paper about it. plus, i think im getting my name put on a paper when im done anyway. sucks for everyone else :laugh:

Anyone else in an honors program NOT get priority registration? Also the honors dorm on my campus is in the worst shape out of any on campus. Honors classes are a lot smaller (especially for the gen. sciences) but the competition is A LOT steeper.

For some reason the lure of the honors program was a big deciding factor on where I decided to go to college. :thumbup:

Oh and they stop giving you free honors t-shirts after freshman year.

Anyone else in an honors program NOT get priority registration? Also the honors dorm on my campus is in the worst shape out of any on campus. Honors classes are a lot smaller (especially for the gen. sciences) but the competition is A LOT steeper.

For some reason the lure of the honors program was a big deciding factor on where I decided to go to college. :thumbup:

Oh and they stop giving you free honors t-shirts after freshman year.

Sounds like you definitely got the shaft.

i was actually in the UA honors program and i dropped it once they started charging $250 a semester to stay an active member. every class i've ever taken for honors credit was the exact same as its regular counterpart, the honors dorms are no nicer and are littered with awkward turtles who never leave their rooms, plus i have no interest in doing thesis research because i found a lab on my own freshman year.

the ONLY reason to stay in the honors college is if you are a freshman and have to take a lot of 100 level classes because you get to register with the juniors and (probably) won't be forced to take 8am's.

I would say to do the honors classes. I know many medical schools, such as the University of Florida, state that they recommend you students to take honors courses. I would advice to take any advantage possible. In my school, professors are so much nicer to their honors classes. They give out more extensions on paper, extra credit, and I feel are overall more concerned for their students.

I also received 1,000 a semester for being in honors and that's ultimately what won me over. :)

At my school, honors courses were smaller, were more like seminars, and were ironically, easier.

So, I took a few honors courses (all non-science), and I thought it was worth it to take a few honors courses if you can. I think the classes were much more interesting in the honors program.

I did not, however, participate in any honors program, and I am very glad I didn't. They had all this extra stuff you had to do (like attend speakers, do leadership things, etc) that I had no interest in or could accomplish on my own.

I also completed a thesis when I graduated. I think that was worthwhile and would recommend that if you can. For me, it was an excellent research opportunity and definitely a resume booster.

I joined my school's honors program my junior year, and from my personal experiences, it has been worth it thus far.

Registration at my school sucks, and like many other people in their school's HP, getting priority registration is awesome and takes away a lot of the hassles of trying to get into the classes that you want.

We also get more opportunities to do independent research and do an honors thesis our senior year. It's nice to be able to get more in-depth with research rather than just be a lab monkey.

Long story short, just being in the honors program won't make much of a difference in terms of being admitted to med school, but the opportunities and benefits that come with being in the program can be quite useful IMO.

I would say to do the honors classes. I know many medical schools, such as the University of Florida, state that they recommend you students to take honors courses. I would advice to take any advantage possible. In my school, professors are so much nicer to their honors classes. They give out more extensions on paper, extra credit, and I feel are overall more concerned for their students.

I also received 1,000 a semester for being in honors and that's ultimately what won me over. :)

Some honors profs are nicer, but not all. At my school a lot of the profs expect an unreal amount of work/effort/quality that just isn't there in the kids so a lot of them do really poorly. Not that they're dumb, it's just they are only one person.

And you don't need to be in honors to get academic scholarships at most schools ... I get ~$3000 off my tuition for the year (at a state school) as long as I keep a 3.2 :sleep: