Forgot to send thank-you notes a while back, is it worth sending them now?

Started by morak
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

morak

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed at a school almost two months ago and wrote thank-you notes to my interviewers that same evening (then mentally checked them off my to-do list). Unfortunately, I just realized I never actually sent them to the admissions office (the school asked us to submit thank-you notes through them).

Is it worth sending them now, this late after the interview? I understand their admissions impact is minimal to none, but I genuinely loved speaking with both of my interviewers and did want to thank them for the great conversation. I'm leaning toward not sending them, but I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on this situation!
 
Have you heard anything from this program? Without name-dropping, it's hard to say if sending thank-yous after 2 months is bad etiquette vs. sending none. Is this your only choice?
I haven't heard anything, but I don't expect to hear from them until late February/early March since they're non-rolling. Not my only choice, and they mentioned that thank-you notes aren't expected/required on my interview day, but like I said, I just wanted to send them as a nice gesture for the positive interview experience I had. Do you think it would look worse to send them now vs just not sending them at all?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't heard anything, but I don't expect to hear from them until late February/early March since they're non-rolling. Not my only choice, and they mentioned that thank-you notes aren't expected/required on my interview day, but like I said, I just wanted to send them as a nice gesture for the positive interview experience I had. Do you think it would look worse to send them now vs just not sending them at all?
Again, without namedropping, I don't see why sending a thank-you a few months late is a negative given they don't announce decisions until later. You may already have landed on some step on the grand staircase of offer eligibility (Staircase analogy).
 
If you want to do it as a courtesy, by all means. I think it’s the right thing to do, even if they don’t care about them. If you’re hoping that it will affect your outcome, you’re better off buying a lotto ticket instead.
 
I interviewed at a school almost two months ago and wrote thank-you notes to my interviewers that same evening (then mentally checked them off my to-do list). Unfortunately, I just realized I never actually sent them to the admissions office (the school asked us to submit thank-you notes through them).

Is it worth sending them now, this late after the interview? I understand their admissions impact is minimal to none, but I genuinely loved speaking with both of my interviewers and did want to thank them for the great conversation. I'm leaning toward not sending them, but I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on this situation!
If you send a thank you letter this late, ensure that they are thoughtful and reflective. Letters that highlight how you have been thinking about the interview and done more research about the program. A simple "Thanks" will not suffice.