NRMP to implement managed scramble

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hernandez

Paranoid and Crotchety...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NRMP TO IMPLEMENT MANAGED SCRAMBLE

The NRMP Board of Directors, meeting in Washington, DC on May 4, 2009, voted to proceed with implementation of a "managed" Scramble for the Main Residency Match. A joint NRMP-AAMC work group will continue to refine the plan, which will require programs to offer and applicants to accept unfilled positions through the NRMP R3 System during Match Week. A "managed" Scramble would be implemented no earlier than the 2011 Match, according to NRMP Executive Director Mona M. Signer. Questions about the process may be directed to Ms. Signer at [email protected].​

Good news!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any idea what this actually means? "managed" seems like one of those words like synergy or paradigm-shift that sounds good in meetings but is utterly meaningless in reality

Does anyone have any idea what this actually means? "managed" seems like one of those words like synergy or paradigm-shift that sounds good in meetings but is utterly meaningless in reality

One of the ideas I've heard tossed around is to have a 2nd match 1-2 weeks after the initial one. Not sure if this is what they're talking about though.

It sounds like they haven't exactly decided how to do it yet. I'm glad they are doing this, though. It really needs to happen and I think would make the process slightly less stressful, and more fair.

As posted above, this is fully decided and determined.

It is NOT a second match. It's a "half match" -- only programs submit rank lists.

Applicants in the scramble will have 48 hours to apply and interview at programs, so much of the time pressure is removed from the scramble. Programs will then rank applicants. Then, once the offers start, applicants will get offers in batches every 2 hours. You can then take a single offer, or decline them and wait for another round. Once you decline an offer, there is no getting it back -- so I doubt many will decline offers. You can get multiple offers in a single round, and then you get to choose one.

Pluses:
1. Time pressure is gone. You have 48 hours to apply for spots, and they cannot be filled before then.
2. You get 2 hours to decide when you get an offer.
3. The scramble is now part of the match. "Scrambles" are now bound by the match rules.
4. Applicants can apply to multiple fields. If you don't match in rads, you can scramble in rads and something else, and see what happens.
5. I expect that in each round, it will be made clear how many spots are left.

Negatives:
1. Many slots will fill in later rounds. This means that many applicants that will ultimately get a spot will not get a spot in rounds 1, 2, 3, etc. This could be very nerve wracking, watching the rounds go by and not getting picked.
2. It is unclear to me whether, if I have a slot in the scramble, I'm allowed to offer it to someone outside the match. If so, I could simply sign someone outside the match on Monday and be done with it. Then, I would simply not enter a rank list at all. This could put those in the match at a serious disadvantage.
3. It's new. People hate new things. Except new iPhones. People love those.

as a participant of the scramble this is very good news. The scramble can be the most loneliest, ****tX days of your life!!!

Totally agree...

It's about time. The current scramble benefits those who have school connections which is unfair.