Applying to residency after NRMP withdrawal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buggyboo

Reaction score
Hello, I matched at a residency program in a non-primary care specialty and had to obtain a NRMP withdrawal due to serious personal circumstances (family). Withdrew due to how unpredictable these circumstances are. These are now addressed completely. How will I be perceived as a reapplicant, and how should I prepare to be asked about this in interviews? I’m very addressing this in my personal statement. I’m concerned about not matching or this being seen as a “red flag”. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

In general, as long as you're honest about your circumstances. Reapplicants "do worse" in the match but that's mostly because usually they had trouble matching the first time due to some problem. I'd recommend offering permission for any program that interviews you to reach out to the PD at your initially matched program for confirmation (but ask them first).

Reactions: 4 users
I was accepted to residency last year, but had to obtain an NRMP waiver due to dire personal/family health circumstances, so I'm reapplying this cycle. Feels like there's a lot less support this time around, e.g., my medical school making it clear I'm not a priority because I graduated already, and it just feels all around more stressful because it feels like it's a whole different ball game. Also feels like there's way less room for error with what I've done - the best thing I did was take part 3 of boards, but if I failed (fairly sure I didn't) my situation becomes even more dire. Hard not to beat myself up over this and I have a lot going for me. Good board scores, good number of interviews last year etc.

For those of who you have reapplied to residency before getting in, what was your experience like? What helped you?

I was accepted to residency last year, but had to obtain an NRMP waiver due to dire personal/family health circumstances, so I'm reapplying this cycle. Feels like there's a lot less support this time around, e.g., my medical school making it clear I'm not a priority because I graduated already, and it just feels all around more stressful because it feels like it's a whole different ball game. Also feels like there's way less room for error with what I've done - the best thing I did was take part 3 of boards, but if I failed (fairly sure I didn't) my situation becomes even more dire. Hard not to beat myself up over this and I have a lot going for me. Good board scores, good number of interviews last year etc.

For those of who you have reapplied to residency before getting in, what was your experience like? What helped you?

Are you applying to the same field?

I suppose it depends on your reason for withdrawing. Taking care of a family member who now passed would bring a lot of sympathy. Personal mental health crisis which is now under control would be DOA at most places.

Reactions: 1 user