Which one of my LOR's to use?!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

OneMCATAway

MDog 2K+
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
I have 6 LOR's and I have not read any of them, since a lot of schools have a 5 LOR's max I need to figure out which is the weakest based on who its from etc, etc.. I would really appreciate any advice from you! thanks🙂
 
Last edited:
I would get rid of number 3. You need 2, 5, and 6 for schools that require 2 science and 1 non-science. #3 is likely to have the least to contribute, since you only worked for them for 2 quarters, and you will have another research letter from the MD.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in a similar situation as you. I am thinking first of all go with what you know is generally required by all medical schools (most), 2 science and 1 non science which takes care of #2,5 and 6. The others in my opinion is where you have flexibility. You definitely need the MD letter because I feel that adds a lot to your application ( someone doing what you want to do is telling adcoms that you can do it, the number of years you have known this person is also a big factor). between the tutor coordinator and the lab research professor, I would go with the latter. Unless you have been out of school for a while and tutoring is something you did during that time. If not, I think that the activities section should be enough to get that across ( i think the fact you have been there for 3.5 years speaks for itself). The research LOR gives the balance to your application and contrasts the MD recommendation, making you a very balanced applicant. This is just my opinion, I am in the same predicament so i wish you the best of luck!🙂

edit; I missed the PI for research part in that case, i think the tutoring recommendation should be the better choice.
 
In my experience, 6 was more common as a maximum LoR limit than 5. Before you start cutting, it might behoove you to check the requirements at your individual schools.