Lots of Military Medicine Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMTStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've got a bunch of questions even after reading a seemingly endless amount of posts!

My fiancé and I are looking to join the Health Corps of the ARMY. We have 2 major concerns, AR 614-200 (and the recruiter) states that married couples go together, how often have you seen this to be true? Or perhaps, how often have you seen it not hold up?

The recruiter also tells me that our pets (cats and dog) go with us, same question, how often does that hold up and not hold up?

Truthfully, we picked the Army somewhat arbitrarily. It makes no major difference (at least as far as we can tell) to us which branch to go for. A general consensus (as far as I can tell) here on SDN is to stay away from the AF and to a lesser extent the Navy.

Working hours I was told also would be a generic M-F 8-6. Obviously this isn't always true. Your experiences?

I'm curious as to what my pt load is going to be like? I don't want to be seeing 30+ pts in a day with 15 min max each. I want to take my time with the patient and make sure they get the treatment they need! How often does that hold up?

Thanks for the sharing, and please try not to start bashing each other, I'm just asking for some opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I know many couples that got stationed together. They try and make this happen as much as possible BUT the dreaded phrase "needs of the Army" always will apply and can disrupt your life as it sees fit to. That being said, I think more couples go together than not, depending on what you do. If you are both doctors for example, it might be easier than say if one was a doctor and the other a pilot, etc... But, if you both were the same specialty, then maybe that base only has a slot for one and they would split you up. It really all depends but i would anticipate at least 1 year minimum being apart whether its for deployment or change of duty station. Hope that helps

Hello everyone, I've got a bunch of questions even after reading a seemingly endless amount of posts!

My fiancé and I are looking to join the Health Corps of the ARMY. We have 2 major concerns, AR 614-200 (and the recruiter) states that married couples go together, how often have you seen this to be true? Or perhaps, how often have you seen it not hold up?

The recruiter also tells me that our pets (cats and dog) go with us, same question, how often does that hold up and not hold up?

Truthfully, we picked the Army somewhat arbitrarily. It makes no major difference (at least as far as we can tell) to us which branch to go for. A general consensus (as far as I can tell) here on SDN is to stay away from the AF and to a lesser extent the Navy.

Working hours I was told also would be a generic M-F 8-6. Obviously this isn't always true. Your experiences?

I'm curious as to what my pt load is going to be like? I don't want to be seeing 30+ pts in a day with 15 min max each. I want to take my time with the patient and make sure they get the treatment they need! How often does that hold up?

Thanks for the sharing, and please try not to start bashing each other, I'm just asking for some opinions.

something else to think about, is that if you have kids, they won't deploy you at the same time. Sounds good to begin with, but then it sets in, that they will deploy you back to back.

I knew a couple, both FP's in the Navy, and He was home from deployment for less than a month before she left, and when she came home he was deployed again. All told, they lived together for less than 2 months for 2 of the years of their marriage.

Having one of 2 spouses in the .mil is difficult, but both on active duty is exponentially more difficult in my opinion.

i want out (of IRR)