Switching Careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arybyinski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been reviewing this board the last few days as I am highly considering medical school.
I graduated ultrasound school in 2007 and then went on for my BS in sonography that I am wrapping up now while working full time. I am a registered sonographer with specialties in abdominal, OB/GYN, neurosonology and vascular technology.
My BS degree is in Sonography (ultrasound), was completed online with a GPA of ~3.3 and for ultrasound I have not had to take any science classes beyond A&P and 1 physics class.
I need to take 8 credits of bio, 16 of chem and 1 4 credit physics class to meet the pre req requirements of most medical schools. I am signed up to take bio 1 this fall at my community college and will take an intersession bio2 before enrolling at a university this spring for the remainder of the classes.
One of my questions is, how detrimental will CC course be? There is a question of rigor and thats why med schools like universities. How much more rigorous can you be working full time, obtaining ultrasound credentials and going to school?
Also, what constitutes a science class for the sGPA? Is it bio,chem,etc? or will my sonography classes be included?
Thank you
-Aubrey

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think your sonography classes will be included in the BCPM GPA (sGPA is confusing to use as the DO schools use a science GPA that doesn't include math like the MD schools' does). BCPM means all Biology, Chem, Physics, and Math classes.

I wouldn't worry about taking CC classes, as there are many med schools that don't look down on them if you have a good MCAT score and get great grades in upper-level science classes at the university level. The term "rigor" in this case refers to how intense and detailed the class is and if it prepares you well to take the MCAT.

I would be concerned if a lot of your coursework was on-line. I am unaware of any allo med school that encourages this. It will be worth your while in case it changes your educational plans to call a few schools and ask them. Be prepared with your transcript and know how many total hours you took toward your BS in that way. Let us know what they say.

For a detailed reference on what AMCAS BCPM GPA and AACOMAS sGPA includes: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

I don't think your sonography classes will be included in the BCPM GPA (sGPA is confusing to use as the DO schools use a science GPA that doesn't include math like the MD schools' does). BCPM means all Biology, Chem, Physics, and Math classes.

I wouldn't worry about taking CC classes, as there are many med schools that don't look down on them if you have a good MCAT score and get great grades in upper-level science classes at the university level. The term "rigor" in this case refers to how intense and detailed the class is and if it prepares you well to take the MCAT.

I would be concerned if a lot of your coursework was on-line. I am unaware of any allo med school that encourages this. It will be worth your while in case it changes your educational plans to call a few schools and ask them. Be prepared with your transcript and know how many total hours you took toward your BS in that way. Let us know what they say.

For a detailed reference on what AMCAS BCPM GPA and AACOMAS sGPA includes: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

Thank you very much, exellent idea.
I just spoke with the admissions department at UMDNJ and because they do not have a degree requirement it doesnt matter that it was online. However, if applying, classes such as Bio/Chem/Physics and MUST have a lab component.
I also checked with Drexel's medical school and they are the same.
When completed, I will have 55 credits from the Florida Hospital College of Health Sciences(online accredited) and a GPA right around 3.3 from them.
I need to work in order to maintain my health insurance so I may take the route of CC classes (as they are more convienent for scheduling) but make sure I get A's then take a kaplan course to study for MCATS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for reporting back with some solid information. And so quickly too.