Nova Interview 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nze82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received a package in the mail from Nova Southeastern University.
They have invited me for an interview on September 23rd. Would anyone else be attending the interview on the same date?

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the interview! If you dont mind me asking, what did you write on the secondary application for NOVA about Describe any special circumstances that you feel might aid the Admissions Committee in evaluating your application?

Thanks!

They have invited me for an interview on September 23rd. Would anyone else be attending the interview on the same date?

Dude, congrats :). Nova has a really nice sim lab there. I am praying they will invite me this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on the interview! If you dont mind me asking, what did you write on the secondary application for NOVA about Describe any special circumstances that you feel might aid the Admissions Committee in evaluating your application?

Thanks!
I simply discussed some of the personal aspects of my life (which I won't be discussing on a public forum) that have had a profound effect on my lifestyle and on shaping my personality. My advice, if you can't come up with something don't get too fictitious. You don't want to make up something that's not true, because there's always a chance that they ask you about that during your interview!

thank you so much for the advice! good luck on your interview!!!:)

Congrats on your interview!!
The hardest part is to get an interview I believe.
I could confidently say you are almost there!! :D
I thought I could share a bit of my experience of intervew at NOVA last year (I did get my acceptance)

It is super humid when you get there so dress lightly/ get there a little early to cool your sweat off. There are some hotels/motels there and some would give you shuttle service. I rented a car during my stay (a cabrio :D) and it was useful for tour/interview.
Interview is serious chill. It so laid back and short you would think why did they invite me? haha
I don't know maybe it was just me but my interview lasted 10-13minutes talking about my home town (Toronto,ON) and weather comparison between toronto and fort.lauderdale. Of course, I was asked why dentistry, why this school etc.
They ask if I have any questions so I asked them couple of interesting ones.
For that 10-13minutes and ultimately the admission on Dec.1st it costed me around 700 dollars for 4 days stay. 1 night at hotel 3 nights at cousins and rest was i dunno
where the hell did it go!!

Congrats on your interview!!
The hardest part is to get an interview I believe.
I could confidently say you are almost there!! :D
I thought I could share a bit of my experience of intervew at NOVA last year (I did get my acceptance)

It is super humid when you get there so dress lightly/ get there a little early to cool your sweat off. There are some hotels/motels there and some would give you shuttle service. I rented a car during my stay (a cabrio :D) and it was useful for tour/interview.
Interview is serious chill. It so laid back and short you would think why did they invite me? haha
I don't know maybe it was just me but my interview lasted 10-13minutes talking about my home town (Toronto,ON) and weather comparison between toronto and fort.lauderdale. Of course, I was asked why dentistry, why this school etc.
They ask if I have any questions so I asked them couple of interesting ones.
For that 10-13minutes and ultimately the admission on Dec.1st it costed me around 700 dollars for 4 days stay. 1 night at hotel 3 nights at cousins and rest was i dunno
where the hell did it go!!
Thank you very much for your post! I really appreciate it.
You stayed 4 days to chill, right?
Otherwise, the interview itself only takes 1 day (you know, including the school tour and everything), correct?
Thanks again for your input.

Thank you very much for your post! I really appreciate it.
You stayed 4 days to chill, right?
Otherwise, the interview itself only takes 1 day (you know, including the school tour and everything), correct?
Thanks again for your input.

Yes it take almost a full day.
When you are done your interview, you are free to leave.
You will do your tour first with dental students there and eat catered food
which was pretty good.
Then you wait outside the interview rooms where you will be called.
I think about 10 students were interviewed same day and tour at the same time.
Two interviewers, I can't tell you whom they are because it might change and it may not be right to tell you whom it will be, anyways they're all nice.

Prepare for your interview, I think.. to have a perfect interview, you would at least need to prepare for a month. Review your file very thoroughly, simulate an interview with a friend, practice in front of mirror so you know your best angle (jk, but yea you wanna look professional and it may or maynot need practice), and be prepared for questions.
Although they are not hard, you need to answer them professionally.
Lets all be honest, we are going to be saying stuff that may not actually happened but you must answer them.
For example, I was asked "were there any occasions where a friend has provided me with various things/help unconditionally?" at I forgot which interview but I think at case western, I probably didn't answer that well but anyways,, some questions might fly to you.
Also, back up all your information (on your PS, AADSAS applications stuff etc.) they will ask you questions on your GPA/DAT if they are weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it take almost a full day.
When you are done your interview, you are free to leave.
You will do your tour first with dental students there and eat catered food
which was pretty good.
Then you wait outside the interview rooms where you will be called.
I think about 10 students were interviewed same day and tour at the same time.
Two interviewers, I can't tell you whom they are because it might change and it may not be right to tell you whom it will be, anyways they're all nice.

Prepare for your interview, I think.. to have a perfect interview, you would at least need to prepare for a month. Review your file very thoroughly, simulate an interview with a friend, practice in front of mirror so you know your best angle (jk, but yea you wanna look professional and it may or maynot need practice), and be prepared for questions.
Although they are not hard, you need to answer them professionally.
Lets all be honest, we are going to be saying stuff that may not actually happened but you must answer them.
For example, I was asked "were there any occasions where a friend has provided me with various things/help unconditionally?" at I forgot which interview but I think at case western, I probably didn't answer that well but anyways,, some questions might fly to you.
Also, back up all your information (on your PS, AADSAS applications stuff etc.) they will ask you questions on your GPA/DAT if they are weird.
Thanks for the help!
I'm not too worried, oddly enough I like interviews, because I like to talk and interact with people. So, I'm not too worried about it.
How would you evaluate the school? I'm not sure if that's where you're attending right now, but did you like the school/faculty during your visit?

do you have to confirm your interview date in a certain amount of time? my aadsas status changed to "invited for interview" on monday and i'm still waiting for my packet. i'm going out of town on friday so i don't want to not respond in time or something!

2 weeks I believe

do you have to confirm your interview date in a certain amount of time? my aadsas status changed to "invited for interview" on monday and i'm still waiting for my packet. i'm going out of town on friday so i don't want to not respond in time or something!

2 weeks I believe

hm.. i don't know where dchung stayed at but i stayed there 2 nights 3 days and i spent around 400... at the renaissance hotel (got nova's discount) and round trip plane ticket. it is humid

i suggest you get a rental car. taxis are REALLy expensive and if you want to explore the area.... u would want ur own car. what i did this time when i went to fll to look for apartments, i didnt' get insurance since my visa card covers the rental car insurance so therse no need for u to get rental car insurance. so it was only 30 dollars a day... taxis from airport to hotel was 40. so def. if you could get a rental car =)

good luck on ur interview it was so laid back. it was my first interview and i didn't even prepare.... but i got in! =) jus look over the interview feedback on sdn and u'll be really prepared =)
and i'm so excited to go there this fall! i'm actually driving down tomorrow to move to fl!! =)

when did u submit the 2ndary? i received it on the 10th, but i submitted yesterday!

I didn't fill out the special circumstance part either! I may get screwed! I didnt think it was mandatory!

I didn't fill out the special circumstance part either! I may get screwed! I didnt think it was mandatory!

I didn't fill it out. There is no way it's mandatory.

My aadsas says I was invited for an interview...just waiting for the snail mail. I live 30 minutes from the school so hopefully I'll get it today or tomorrow!

Good luck, I did use to live in Coral Springs, FL!, Its close to NOva as well. I am hoping to get an interview from them! im really bored and need some action here!

Good luck, I did use to live in Coral Springs, FL!, Its close to NOva as well. I am hoping to get an interview from them! im really bored and need some action here!

That's where I live! :)

today AADSAS updated to invited for interview, nothing in the mail yet. Is that how it happened for all of you?

my status changed as well. invited for an interview. does anyone know if this was same for u guys? and how logn does it take to get that package.?

also, if you're invited for an interview, will it be before Dec? i'm just waiting on the package

7/22/09 - AADSAS changed to Invited for interview - NOVA

It's really weird bc they dont even have my official DAT scores yet, which I took like last week. I guess I'll have to wait for that package too.

Geez there are a LOT of Nova interviews being given out! Wish I was done with my DAT so I could possibly be counted among you all! Congrats to everyone.

PS- I think all you guys should make Predents profiles! It says there's only ONE Nova interview so far, and I see like 9-10 on this thread alone...help everyone else out by contributing some stats!

ya they dont have my official DAT scores yet either....but I got an interview invite...kind of weird.

ya they dont have my official DAT scores yet either....but I got an interview invite...kind of weird.

I remember in one of the secondaries I filled in my unofficial scores though. I think it may have been nova. Maybe that could be why.

I remember in one of the secondaries I filled in my unofficial scores though. I think it may have been nova. Maybe that could be why.

oh ya forgot about that, good call.

My AADSAS status changed to "invited for interview" today as well.

Does Nova love high GPA.. while everyone else is getting invited mine is still "under review"...

Does it mean I would not get one before december?

Thanks

Do u guys check your status on the "Designated Schools" section on the aadsas or the "School decision section"? mine is blank unfortunately!!! i just submitted my secondary a couple of days ago, maybe i should just wait.

Do u guys check your status on the "Designated Schools" section on the aadsas or the "School decision section"? mine is blank unfortunately!!! i just submitted my secondary a couple of days ago, maybe i should just wait.

I sent in my secondary late last week. I'm pretty surprised at how quick they replied. you should find out with a couple weeks.

It will give you status updates (received/under review, invited for interview, etc) under the "school decisions" section.

For those who have interviews, has nova received your signature page also?
I called the other day to inquire about my status, and they told me that I will not be considered for an interview until they receive that page. I am wondering if this is actually true hearing how quickly people are hearing from nova very soon after submitting their secondary.

I called the other day to inquire about my status, and they told me that I will not be considered for an interview until they receive that page. I am wondering if this is actually true hearing how quickly people are hearing from nova very soon after submitting their secondary.

I was thiknin the same. I literally mailed that stuff about 4-5 days ago or something. Seems so soon, but AADSAS changed today. Maybe they like what they see so far based on just aadsas application and the secondary app that you turned in online.

I got one on sept 17th..... I wished it could be a few days later though so that I could get some advice.

I just got a packet in the mail today!! :) :) but my interview isn't until November 4th?!? why so late?!

I just got a packet in the mail today!! :) :) but my interview isn't until November 4th?!? why so late?!
Because the people on this forum aren't the only people getting interviews. All their earlier dates are probably unavailable. Still, any pre-December interview is consider very early and you'll have a decent chance of getting accepted.

Because the people on this forum aren't the only people getting interviews. All their earlier dates are probably unavailable. Still, any pre-December interview is consider very early and you'll have a decent chance of getting accepted.

I REALLY hope that isn't the case...they must be giving out tons and tons of interviews if everything before November is filled already...I was under the impression that my early August DAT would still put me in the Dec. 1 acceptance range. If they've really filled up that many interviews this quickly, then I am thinking that myself and others who haven't submitted/taken the DAT yet wouldn't have a shot, which seems ridiculous this early in the cycle. :eek:

Last edited:
I REALLY hope that isn't the case...they must be giving out tons and tons of interviews if everything before November is filled already...I was under the impression that my early August DAT would still put me in the Dec. 1 acceptance range. If they've really filled up that many interviews this quickly, then I am thinking that myself and others who haven't submitted/taken the DAT yet wouldn't have a shot, which seems ridiculous this early in the cycle. :eek:
Nova seems to be super fast in terms of giving out interviews. I doubt that's the case for other schools. However, last year, I took my DAT on July 27th and the earliest interview I got was from UCSF, which was in early Dec. Another friend of mine took her DAT in mid August, and her UCSF interview was ~ two weeks after mine I believe.

what signature page? i just submitted aadsas and the secondary and i got an interview

what signature page? i just submitted aadsas and the secondary and i got an interview
When you complete their secondary application online, there's a signature page at the end. You need to print it out, sign it, and send it to school.
They won't consider you until they receive this form, because it sorta verifies your identity as the person who has filled out the secondary application.