UDMNJ and OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeetKuneDo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How selective is UDMNJ-SOM on in state vs. out of state? Would it be worth applying if you are oos?

Members don't see this ad.

I had good stats, great ECs, good LORs, a Philadelphia resident for the past four years (45 mins from SOM), and all the school did was cash my check. I still haven't been rejected, or heard from them, actually.

Members don't see this ad :)
if there are any umdnj students out there, how is housing around the umdnj-som area. are there any on-campus housing opportunities?

also is housing expensive?

if there are any umdnj students out there, how is housing around the umdnj-som area. are there any on-campus housing opportunities?

also is housing expensive?

This is no student housing. There are a lot of apartment complexes in the area and they can range from about $800/month for a 1 bedroom to $1200/month for 2 bedrooms (which is halved if you get a roommate)

doesn't matter. Within a year you will be considered IS. If you want to, apply.

Thanks for the input. I'm not too worried about tuition of IS vs OOS though. My question was more along the lines of how many out of state students they take each year.

I had good stats, great ECs, good LORs, a Philadelphia resident for the past four years (45 mins from SOM), and all the school did was cash my check. I still haven't been rejected, or heard from them, actually.

That sucks. They didnt even give you a secondary?

I heard UMDNJ is extremely biased against Out of State students. I also believe Ohio and Oklahoma State also take very few out of state students. Ohio makes you sign a contract that says you will work in Ohio for 5 years after residency training is finished. I say the earlier you send in your materials the better your chances if you have a good stats and a well written PS and ECs. I think sending in secondaries past August will probably make things a lot harder.

I'm doubtful anyone here will have this statistic but I thought I'd ask anyways in the event that someone does. Does anyone know what the class profile for OOS are that are accepted to this school? I didn't see any statistics about their class profiles on their webpage I only noticed that 80% of the folks accepted here are NJ residents. I expect that the OOS accepted here must have higher stats than NJ residents who get in since this is a public school, and I feel like I have decent numbers and experiences, but if the accepted OOS profiles are significantly above the average for those of NJ residents I wouldn't want to be spending my money filling out their secondary. Just looking to save a few bucks... :)

I'm doubtful anyone here will have this statistic but I thought I'd ask anyways in the event that someone does. Does anyone know what the class profile for OOS are that are accepted to this school? I didn't see any statistics about their class profiles on their webpage I only noticed that 80% of the folks accepted here are NJ residents. I expect that the OOS accepted here must have higher stats than NJ residents who get in since this is a public school, and I feel like I have decent numbers and experiences, but if the accepted OOS profiles are significantly above the average for those of NJ residents I wouldn't want to be spending my money filling out their secondary. Just looking to save a few bucks... :)

I'd like to know this as well.

UMDNJ-SOM

In-state acceptance rate: 24.7%
Out-of-state acceptance rate: 2.0%

In-state applied: 522
In-state interviewed: 201
In-state accepted: 129

Out-of-state applied: 2864
Out-of-state interviewed: 188
Out-of-state accepted: 57

UMDNJ-SOM

In-state acceptance rate: 24.7%
Out-of-state acceptance rate: 2.0%

In-state applied: 522
In-state interviewed: 201
In-state accepted: 129

Out-of-state applied: 2864
Out-of-state interviewed: 188
Out-of-state accepted: 57

Thanks. No UMDNJ secondary for me then...

Thanks. No UMDNJ secondary for me then...

Sigh....

Those are misrepresentative statistics.

They don't calculate OOS until *after* school starts. NJ has the easiest qualifications to gain in state status. They let you into the IS group after you get a NJ driver's license, I think. It's really really easy.

Thus, everyone does this before starting class so they can get IS tuition.

Finally, when the final tally is done, very very few people appear to be OOS, but in fact, many (unknown exact #) students were OOS.

This shouldn't be the reason why you or anyone else doesn't apply there.

Sigh....

Those are misrepresentative statistics.

They don't calculate OOS until *after* school starts. NJ has the easiest qualifications to gain in state status. They let you into the IS group after you get a NJ driver's license, I think. It's really really easy.

Thus, everyone does this before starting class so they can get IS tuition.

Finally, when the final tally is done, very very few people appear to be OOS, but in fact, many (unknown exact #) students were OOS.

This shouldn't be the reason why you or anyone else doesn't apply there.

Yeah, I heard about this but I was under the impression that you would have to live in the state of NJ for one year and then apply for a driver's license. Otherwise, I don't see why there would be ANY OOS if it were that easy to be paying in-state tuition. I didn't really look any of this info up myself, was being lazy by asking here... once I find out the details myself I'll see if it's worth it to submit a secondary. I'd like to go here though... looks like a really good school.

Yeah, I heard about this but I was under the impression that you would have to live in the state of NJ for one year and then apply for a driver's license. Otherwise, I don't see why there would be ANY OOS if it were that easy to be paying in-state tuition. I didn't really look any of this info up myself, was being lazy by asking here... once I find out the details myself I'll see if it's worth it to submit a secondary. I'd like to go here though... looks like a really good school.

Some people have obligations to stay residents of other states, like state help with tuition in the form of grants/scholarships. Perhaps the armed forces have some sort of clause like this too--I'm not sure.

Also, think about people who get off the waitlist at the very last minute who don't have time or it's too late to get a new DL before class starts.

A good number of the applicants are those that are in the graduate program and when they apply, they have been "NJ residents". I say it in quotes because the only reason they are "nj residents" is for the program. Many of them are from OOS. But since their mailing address is in NJ and they are considered to be NJ residents then those numbers get skewed.

So you need to determine, what makes a resident? Do you have to be a lifelong resident? Do you have to be a college senior in one of the colleges of NJ? Do you consider yourself to be a NJ resident just to go to a graduate program that increases your chances of getting into the school if you have issues in your past?

Unlike other states like CA and TX, there is no preference for IS vs OOS. This comes directly from the Admissions Director herself. If you decide to argue with me about it, because of statistics that you see there, then fine, don't apply. But take into account what I said above because in these statistics, they do not break down the people who are here just to get into a 2 year program or who are here just for undergraduate work.

And if you do not like the idea of paying 1 year of OOS tuition before getting IS tuition then remember that you have to practice in Ohio for 5 years in order to get their IS tuition or suffer a lot of fees. You do not get a choice for West Virginia where no matter what you are OOS unless you were born there, good luck getting into the CA or TX state schools if your permanent residence is anything but.

I am not trying to sway your decision either way. You are an adult and have the capacity to make these decisions on your own. However, make sure that you understand all of the facts and their underlying meaning than just taking them at face value. Once you do that, then make your decision but at least you can be sure that it was done with the proper information.

The NEW criteria for getting IS tuition:
1) Being a resident for 1 year with proof in the form of a lease with you NJ address (easy enough if you are a 1st year student)
2) Change your DL into a NJ DL
3) If the car is registered in your name, change the registration to NJ and therefor get NJ Car Insurance (I am pretty sure about this one but check with financial aid or the admissions office).

A good number of the applicants are those that are in the graduate program and when they apply, they have been "NJ residents". I say it in quotes because the only reason they are "nj residents" is for the program. Many of them are from OOS. But since their mailing address is in NJ and they are considered to be NJ residents then those numbers get skewed.

So you need to determine, what makes a resident? Do you have to be a lifelong resident? Do you have to be a college senior in one of the colleges of NJ? Do you consider yourself to be a NJ resident just to go to a graduate program that increases your chances of getting into the school if you have issues in your past?

Unlike other states like CA and TX, there is no preference for IS vs OOS. This comes directly from the Admissions Director herself. If you decide to argue with me about it, because of statistics that you see there, then fine, don't apply. But take into account what I said above because in these statistics, they do not break down the people who are here just to get into a 2 year program or who are here just for undergraduate work.

And if you do not like the idea of paying 1 year of OOS tuition before getting IS tuition then remember that you have to practice in Ohio for 5 years in order to get their IS tuition or suffer a lot of fees. You do not get a choice for West Virginia where no matter what you are OOS unless you were born there, good luck getting into the CA or TX state schools if your permanent residence is anything but.

I am not trying to sway your decision either way. You are an adult and have the capacity to make these decisions on your own. However, make sure that you understand all of the facts and their underlying meaning than just taking them at face value. Once you do that, then make your decision but at least you can be sure that it was done with the proper information.

The NEW criteria for getting IS tuition:
1) Being a resident for 1 year with proof in the form of a lease with you NJ address (easy enough if you are a 1st year student)
2) Change your DL into a NJ DL
3) If the car is registered in your name, change the registration to NJ and therefor get NJ Car Insurance (I am pretty sure about this one but check with financial aid or the admissions office).

This sounds good. Also, this question is sort of crossing forums, but is this the same policy for their allo school as well?

Well I guess I'm happy to be a nj resident but then its bad for ny schools since I heard nycom doesn't like oos. I guess it balances out sigh

Last edited:
30-35% of the class at NYCOM is from out of state. They accept a decent amount of OOS applicants, and are no where close to instate favoritism as Ohio, Michigan, and Texas schools where the % of out of state students are less than 10%.

30-35% of the class at NYCOM is from out of state. They accept a decent amount of OOS applicants, and are no where close to instate favoritism as Ohio, Michigan, and Texas schools where the % of out of state students are less than 10%.

NYCOM is also private.