Top ten EM programs in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LOVEER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know yet another thread on "top EM programs". Just want to hear the consensus, now as of 2009, on what people think are the top ten programs in EM, without geographic constraints.

I'm always hearing about Cincinnatti. What else is out there as far as top programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Let the games begin!

I'd like to start with a new entry: The new Twin Peaks program in Round Rock, Texas.

They have an interesting approach to advertising. It seems they're going for a tactical focus:

ALeqM5g7nMCT4qJ1ILRy3g6YkqceXvbFWg

Take care,
Jeff

Just in case you missed the programs media debut: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hvek9-aNhYJdt96dz7RJ5x4cN1awD9A6SCG82

Members don't see this ad :)
#1 is a tie between where I trained and where I'm currently working. The rest are mostly pretty good as well.

I'm bored, so I'll bite.

No top 10 will be the same, but i think you'd consistently see these names thrown around (in no order)

Cinci, Denver, Carolinas, Highland, OHSU, Utah, UNM, Arizona, UCLA...many many others

I'm bored, so I'll bite.

No top 10 will be the same, but i think you'd consistently see these names thrown around (in no order)

Cinci, Denver, Carolinas, Highland, OHSU, Utah, UNM, Arizona, UCLA...many many others

Thanks!

I dunno... In-N-Out has always been a perennial top contendor. Now that Chuck Norris is the PD, it's pretty hard to top. The aformentioned program in Round Rock may be up and coming, but it will be awhile before it truly reaches greatness.

To the OP: There is no consensus and there never will be. But the program I went to is the best.

I'm bored, so I'll bite.

As you can tell the East Coast has only crappy and backwards residencies (besides the vaunted Carolinas, of course). I interviewed at the Round Rock program and ranked it number 1, but alas it was not to be. I heard Seattle has a pretty awesome program too. Oh, and Miami too.

I'm bored, so I'll bite.

Utah? you cant even get real beer there!

I don't know about numbers 2 through 9 but I am certain the Kingman Osteopathic ER residency in Arizona is number 1 per another poster on this site.

Members don't see this ad :)
f---y mc-----p--ts. fill in the blanks...

Oooh oooh oooh...

I'll take a "T" please!

The Upstairs Medical College and Hair Salon offers an excellent program which will prepare you to treat the seriously ill and their split ends!

To the OP,
I am not sure you have been hanging around these forums or even an emergency department, but if you have you should have come to find that people in EM are generally easy-going, fun people who like to give each other **it (all in good fun, of course). As a group, we tend to (and have to) have "thick skin" and enjoy giving each other a ribbing every now and then.

That said, people in EM generally aren't the type to get hung up on "top programs" b/c most feel that the top program is the one that fits you best. Unlike Internal Medicine or Surgery where you are clamoring for coveted fellowship spots, it really doesn't matter all that much where you trained (within reason). I would definitely try to match at a "known" place/University setting instead of St. Joe's Community Hospital, but more than anything your marketability for a job post-residency moreso comes down to:

a. Can you play nice with others and be a pleasant guy/gal to be around?
b. Are you a good EM physician?
c. Can you "move the meat"?

Best of luck. :)

To the OP,
I am not sure you have been hanging around these forums or even an emergency department, but if you have you should have come to find that people in EM are generally easy-going, fun people who like to give each other **it (all in good fun, of course). As a group, we tend to (and have to) have "thick skin" and enjoy giving each other a ribbing every now and then.

That said, people in EM generally aren't the type to get hung up on "top programs" b/c most feel that the top program is the one that fits you best. Unlike Internal Medicine or Surgery where you are clamoring for coveted fellowship spots, it really doesn't matter all that much where you trained (within reason). I would definitely try to match at a "known" place/University setting instead of St. Joe's Community Hospital, but more than anything your marketability for a job post-residency moreso comes down to:

a. Can you play nice with others and be a pleasant guy/gal to be around?
b. Are you a good EM physician?
c. Can you "move the meat"?

Best of luck. :)

Hey! We here at St. Joe's Community Hospital are offended by that remark! We offer residency by telecommunications. It's the new frontier BABY! Who says you actually have to look at or touch a patient when you have technology to do it for you. All you to is push a button and file patient's into four easy to remember categories.

1. Sick vs. Not Sick
2. Admit vs. Not Admit
3. Tattoo to Tooth Ratio
4. Uh... something else we were supposed to study but I don't remember.

Well... cheers. I'm off to enjoy all the extra time I have thanks to my choice of St. Joe's Community Hospital.

Remember kids... St. Joe's: We're there when it's convenient... for us.

I would recommend the program on the Klingon homeworld of Kronos; the language and cultural barrier can be rough, but I found some helpful resources:
http://www.geocities.com/qoretlh/ikbf_hb-medicine.html
http://usseagle2185.tripod.com/Klingonsimwpmed.htm

Add.: who knew geocities and tripod were still around?

"Klingon doctors use entirely different criterion in this decision. The Klingon doctor must decide whether it would be cost effective to repair an individual. If it would be less costly to let an individual die (and train a replacement), the patient is not treated. On the other hand, if a patient's knowledge and skill is termed invaluable, no cost would be spared to save the patient's life."

Maybe Obama's new plan could implement the "Klingon method of medicine" to his new plan. This would probably cut down on the wait time in the ED. :smuggrin:

woohoo Utah! we're going to party like it's 1959! come on down! bring your wives...oops.

The Klingon triage method would likely cut down the ol' knife and gun club members... not to mention the "my 6 kids all have a fever, and we're all signing in to be checked."

(although a $5 medicaid copay might actually help more.)

I like. Unfortunately, I don't think I could get away with it.

What about people that have a net negative value to society? Would there be mandatory euthanasia out at triage? Forced enrollment in stage I or II drug trials in order to tip the balance? Think of the cost savings...

Getting back to the main topic, I think Chipotle has a fine residency. High volume, good payer mix, culturally diverse staff. It deserves a spot high on your rank list, especially if geographic considerations preclude In-and-Out burger.

The Klingon triage method would likely cut down the ol' knife and gun club members... not to mention the "my 6 kids all have a fever, and we're all signing in to be checked."

(although a $5 medicaid copay might actually help more.)

I like. Unfortunately, I don't think I could get away with it.

Yeah, the six kids and their hard working mother (it's hard work to pick up your check every month right?) only come in with fever if they have medicaid. It's eerily similar to the tooth to tattoo ratio scenario. Just like the medicaid pts that come back a few hours after discharge because their abx don't work.

News Flash:

The Twin Peaks EM Residency Program is pleased to announce the re-appointment of their program director:

24_-_jack_bauer_128200540958pm382.jpg

When asked for his feelings about his reappointment, he said only this "feelings? Feelings are for whimps. What do you think we are, In-N-Out?"

Take care,
Jeff

"When did yo start taking them?" "I haven't - I didn't get the prescription yet."

If you want them to get their antibiotics you just write a scrip for 5 percocet and "only fill with scrip for X antibiotic from same visit." Then they will all get their abx!

If you want them to get their antibiotics you just write a scrip for 5 percocet and "only fill with scrip for X antibiotic from same visit." Then they will all get their abx!

Filling the prescriptions isn't the problem. I don't care if it is filled. I care if it was taken. Now... if we could lace the antibiotics with oxycodone... that would be pretty sweet. :D

That became such an issue, that at the place I left, there was a script added to put that on the printed prescriptions - "This is __ of __ prescriptions".

Even if they get filled, though, that doesn't mean they take them.

THIS JUST IN! The Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital will now be accepting applications to the ED dept. Now from what I've heard on the interview trail is that they have a great diagnostic department, but the department head is a real ***. However the PD of their ED is much more friendly.

images

Last edited:
What about people that have a net negative value to society? Would there be mandatory euthanasia out at triage? Forced enrollment in stage I or II drug trials in order to tip the balance? Think of the cost savings...

Getting back to the main topic, I think Chipotle has a fine residency. High volume, good payer mix, culturally diverse staff. It deserves a spot high on your rank list, especially if geographic considerations preclude In-and-Out burger.

Just laughed and spit diet coke down my arm, and now the secretary is giving me the stink eye LOL.

Chipotle IS a fine residency, it was #1 on my ROL but I was turned down. They have a great reputation for moving the meat.

Wow, I like this idea to come up with antibiotic/opiate combo's, then we can treat the drug seekers and the antibiotic seekers in a combo pill.

Maybe Dilaudicycline. Fentafloxacin.

Maybe I'm just a terrible person, but I'd rather see them come up with a combination opiate/oral contraceptive.

News Flash:

The Twin Peaks EM Residency Program is pleased to announce the re-appointment of their program director:

24_-_jack_bauer_128200540958pm382.jpg

When asked for his feelings about his reappointment, he said only this "feelings? Feelings are for whimps. What do you think we are, In-N-Out?"

Take care,
Jeff

I have decided I need to repeat my residency... alot changes in a few years... I am going here.

No reason we can't have a three-fer.

Besides... If they need the OCP, they're going to need the antibiotic...

I'm just sayin...