Taking exam Wednesday , 9/30/09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dieulafuoy

Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any one else in the same boat?
any helpful suggestions will be highly appreciated.
I scored 510 on NBME and hoping to do well on CCS. I used Archer step3 videos, master the boards, USMLE World, Dr.Red CCS Workshop and practiced about 40 CCS cases on software. I am still anxious..don't want to miss this
Any other helpful last minute suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

any one else in the same boat?
any helpful suggestions will be highly appreciated.
I scored 510 on NBME and hoping to do well on CCS. I used Archer step3 videos, master the boards, USMLE World, Dr.Red CCS Workshop and practiced about 40 CCS cases on software. I am still anxious..don't want to miss this
Any other helpful last minute suggestions?

Seems you did all the right things and prepared well .. best thing to do is just relax

good luck :luck::luck::luck:

Premier Review notes would have been good to do but it sounds like your review pack is good as well. Good luck on the exam. Let us know how you did.

Completed my exam. Thank you for wishing me well. I really need to pass this. I feel my Day 1 was not all that great but I think day 2 went really smooth. CCS section ended very soon. I did not take any break in between the CCS cases since most of them were ending very soon and I completed them all in 1hr30minutes.
I was not sure of the MCQs but when I came back I recalled and wrote down several questions. When I cross checked, most of them came out correct. I must say lot of this was guess work. But I do think you need to know the concept to guess them right.
Master the boards, Archer step 3 Lectures and CCS workshop (Dr.Red), and UW helped me tremendously in answering the questions. Whether this will materialize in to a comfortable passing score, I will let you know in three weeks.
Thanks again for all your help. This is such a great forum. I will continue to log in to the forum and will be available to answer questions if anyone here is in need of help regarding step 3

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulation for completing the exam successfully. I wish you all the best wuith the score.
i have a question if you can help me sought out this...

I do not fully understand how to obtain results or when to advance the clock...how it works????????
-do I specify the time to see the patient later or
-call me when test results become available

i kinda understand it but am not sure......not confident about it how it works
thx

Completed my exam. Thank you for wishing me well. I really need to pass this. I feel my Day 1 was not all that great but I think day 2 went really smooth. CCS section ended very soon. I did not take any break in between the CCS cases since most of them were ending very soon and I completed them all in 1hr30minutes.
I was not sure of the MCQs but when I came back I recalled and wrote down several questions. When I cross checked, most of them came out correct. I must say lot of this was guess work. But I do think you need to know the concept to guess them right.
Master the boards, Archer step 3 Lectures and CCS workshop (Dr.Red), and UW helped me tremendously in answering the questions. Whether this will materialize in to a comfortable passing score, I will let you know in three weeks.
Thanks again for all your help. This is such a great forum. I will continue to log in to the forum and will be available to answer questions if anyone here is in need of help regarding step 3

Good to hear that your overall testing experience was satisfactory for you. Sounds like a good sign for you. I took my exam on August 17th & 18th and recalled many question and crossed check them too and I was finding that I got almost all of them correct. I did not do great on my actual test score but was happy when I got my results back in 3 weeks after the day of my exam and received a 196(80). Still happy just to pass this thing. Good luck to you and let us know how you do when you get results. Take care!!;):thumbup:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

congratulation for completing the exam successfully. I wish you all the best wuith the score.
i have a question if you can help me sought out this...

I do not fully understand how to obtain results or when to advance the clock...how it works????????
-do I specify the time to see the patient later or
-call me when test results become available

i kinda understand it but am not sure......not confident about it how it works
thx

Did you download the free practice CCS software?

Thanks Michael and First Man Down.
Congratulations Firstman, it is the pass that matters..you have done it!
I should be getting my result in a week's time. Some what anxious, I guess!

michael009, download the practice software and try the cases. Put in the orders and you should then see the "Report time" of your order. You should advance the clock to the report time of the most important test that can affect your case management. eg: patient comes with chest pain, you place orders - oxygen, iv access, ekg, cxr, morphine, nitro, aspirin if CAD risk factor is present. The test here that can alter your management and guide you on your further approach is the EKG. So, check the report time for the EKG order - advance the clock to that time. If EKG is positive for MI, you will have to start MI management. If negative, you should search for other causes of chest pain by advancing the clock to other test result eg; cxr is the next. In this way it changes from case to case. This reporting time based advancing of the clock will help you to act STAT when that result is reported abnormal. I hope I made it clear. It is so difficult to write this when compared to showing it on the software,
I would strongly recommend that you attend Dr.red CCS workshop. I would rank it as the best for CCS. All the above things I wrote were demonstrated to us clearly in his workshop. He will show you step by step and will make you practice cases in his webinar.
Good luck with your prep.

Quote "I used Archer step3 videos, master the boards, USMLE World, Dr.Red CCS Workshop and practiced about 40 CCS cases on software."

Did Archer step 3 videos help much? Did you just listen to the videos or write stuff down? Our program requires us to take Step 3 during our intern year and we have to pass it before moving on to year 2! I am planning to take the exam in March or April of next year. So I need to start studying now.
Also, how much are the videos---what i have looked at they are $245?
Any help would be appreciated.

By God's grace, I passed. My score is 91.
Thank you friends for all your best wishes.
If I can be of any help, any one here is welcome to ask

Last edited:
Quote "I used Archer step3 videos, master the boards, USMLE World, Dr.Red CCS Workshop and practiced about 40 CCS cases on software."

Did Archer step 3 videos help much? Did you just listen to the videos or write stuff down? Our program requires us to take Step 3 during our intern year and we have to pass it before moving on to year 2! I am planning to take the exam in March or April of next year. So I need to start studying now.
Also, how much are the videos---what i have looked at they are $245?
Any help would be appreciated.

Tastebuds, Archer videos helped me very much through out my preperation. You need not write anything. You just listen to the videos two times. They also send you notes. If you are in Internal medicine residency, those archer lectures will help you on your ward rounds also. Very fruitful lectures. I would recommend them even over Kaplan.
I got them for $195 because I also took ********** workshop
If you have any more questions, you are welcome to ask.
Best of luck

For dieulafuoy:

You mentioned that you got a 510 on NBME. What is that test by NBME???

For dieulafuoy:

You mentioned that you got a 510 on NBME. What is that test by NBME???

NBME is National Board of Medical Examiners. It is a standardized score and fairly correlates with the Step 3 passing score if your NBME score is more than 500. Please be advised that CCS is very important on step 3 and NBME does not include CCS. Some people say their real scores are very different from NBME because of the variation in their CCS performances.
You can find NBME self assessment at http://www.nbme.org/programs-services/medical-students/tabs/self-assessment-services.html

are there demos of all these lectures you are suggesting?
courses that are good for you might not be good to everyone. I want to purchase a review that works for me but I am tired of not being able to find a free demo for these reviews