Animal Masters, Plan B, post-grad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haleyroze

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a repetitive post, but as a 2nd applicant with a blah gpa (3.2,) and a BS in bio. I feel the need to be prepared for rejection, and how to build before the next cycle (I won't give up!.) I have been looking into the uc davis masters in animal biology, but want to know what else is out there, as well as if anyone has had any experience with the davis program. I'm not really sure how the non-degree, second-degree, etc programs work, but know that I've graduated, and need to look into approving my application. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Haley

Members don't see this ad.

There are at least two of us here who have experience with the Animal Biology MS program at Davis. If you are interested in it I would suggest contacting professors about your area of interest for thesis research soon. If you don't have an area of interest for thesis research, find one, or think twice about applying to this MS program. I don't think too many major professors are interested in taking in a MS student for the non-thesis based option. Mine was pretty derisive towards the idea of it - I was 100% planning on doing the thesis option since my interest area is research anyway, and she still managed to bring the non-thesis one up and say it was not really an option for me.

Also, they will want a 2 year commitment if you do make it into the program. So you'd have to skip a cycle.

I'd say if your grades are really your weak point and you don't have an interest in, aptitude for or affinity for research, the MS program is probably not for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. It helps to know that they are really looking for research based students. Its not that my academics are my weak point in general, just in undergrad. I had a 3.9 before I decided to help my family out and work full time. Some can do it, unfortunately it dropped my gpa drastically over the remainder of the years. So now I'm just looking for an outlet to prove that I can take difficult courses and do well in them. I don't mean to offend anyone who is interested in research, I wish I was. I want to go into mixed practice, probably in a rural community so I'm not sure which side of research would be applicable. If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears. Just not sure which direction to go...

Members don't see this ad :)
Your undergrad GPA is pretty close to what mine is, so I didn't mean to offend by using the term "weak point" at all. More like it's a stubborn spot on your application that you can't get to just go away no matter how much soap you use! You're a second time applicant this year? Did you get any interviews and/or do a file review last year?

edit: also, if all you really want is an outlet to show you can do well in upper division sciences, taking some post-bac courses or doing a 1 year post-bac program might be more along the lines of what you want to do, or perhaps looking into more coursework-based masters programs (I'm not sure what places have these in general).

Last edited:
I'm in a biology MS program doing a non-thesis option.

It doesn't require a commitment at all, but they also aren't paying for anything. However, it is a lot cheaper than a lot of post-bacc programs I've seen.

I'm sure that other universities in your area must have similar programs?

There's a one year, coursework based masters at Colorado State that I'm now planning on applying for... I heard about it on this forum. It's called the "Plan B" program but it is technically a MS in Biomedical Sciences. Caninerepro can really speak to it more than me because he did the program! I've PMed him about it recently and he's quite helpful. Here's the link to the program website:

http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/bms/planB.htm

I'm in the same boat you are--when I figure out my plan B, I'll be sure to share!
I've got a 3.2ish GPA, GRE is so-so (1220, 5.5).
So far I'm just working as a vet tech while I wait to hear from schools (I applied to a TON of schools, so here's hoping for take two). I'm taking one class now, might keep taking them on a continuing education basis, but that gets expensive really quickly. I've got my Bach. in Animal Science, and can't seem to find a "real job" in this area. I wish I had a back up plan, but I really don't...I'm not big on research. I like equine repro work, but not sure if I want do that for a living. Ideally, I want to be a mixed animal vet in a relatively rural area.

PS...sure wish I had found these forums a year ago when I was applying the first time instead of just a few days ago!

I am pretty much in the same position as you guys. GPA is all right (~3.7), GRE kind of bad (1190), and not a whole lot of experience. I've been looking into both the UC Davis Genetics Group and Animal Biology for graduate school. I didn't know about this thesis vs. non-thesis MS program. I am interested in research, but I don't know now what I want to do specifically. If it is thesis based, do you know if you have to state your thesis in your application? I know a Professor on the admissions board for both of these groups, but I don't want to sound stupid asking...:rolleyes:

I am pretty much in the same position as you guys. GPA is all right (~3.7)

Yeah, no. A 3.7 is above the average admitted! I mean I know you are anxious and nervous and there's absolutely no guarantee even with that, but you aren't in the same position as us. ;)

edit: the Genetics Grad Group absolutely won't take you as a MS student unless you already have a mentor picked out and even then they don't offer any departmental support for MS students. That is why I ended up going with Animal Bio even though my PI is in both groups.

What is departmental support like for Animal Biology MS students? Are there TA positions for master's students? Guaranteed funding?

We aren't guaranteed by any means, but if you apply on time they will make every attempt to try to offer you a decent funding package - usually TA or work-study, or if your professor is in the animal science department instead of the SVM like mine you would be eligible for departmental GSR positions, too.

I applied very late and still managed to find TA positions all 3 quarters last year (with other departments on campus, granted), and my professor hired me as a GSR for this year. Animal Bio offered me a TAship that I actually had to turn down.