masters degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicole120

Reaction score
Any thoughts on masters degree before vet school? i am debating an island schools as well but i dont want to leave the US. I have already got denied one cycle but i dont want to give up :(

Members don't see this ad.

Did you do file reviews with any of the programs you applied to previously? A master's might be helpful in some situations, but there are many more where it will cost you money and not actually make you a stronger applicant. If your pre-req GPA was low, for example, a master's isn't going to fix that - it'll bump your last 30/last 45.

Reactions: 5 users
iirc some schools also only accept a certain number of grad school credits towards your gpa/last 45

If your masters isn’t something you’re super interested in or could make a career out of if you don’t end up in vet school, don’t waste your money on a masters.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely check on the schools you're interested in! I will be applying with a Master's and Illinois will look at those credits (they're all from Illinois CVM too so it'd be awkward if they didnt). A Master's is a lot of work, and I know it will benefit me even if I didn't go to vet school.

They can definitely be useful, but be really selective I you're going to get one. They can get very expensive in a hurry and not necessarily be a benefit.

LMU has a bridge masters program which helps get into vet school. You take 2 classes with first year vet students (vet anatomy and parasitology). If you have questions, you can dm me. I did the program and it was very helpful.

LMU has a bridge masters program which helps get into vet school. You take 2 classes with first year vet students (vet anatomy and parasitology). If you have questions, you can dm me. I did the program and it was very helpful.
is it very difficult? how is lmu?

is it very difficult? how is lmu?

The program is rigorous and prepares students for vet school by setting you up for success. The difference between vet school and the masters program is you have more time to study for all of your classes vs vet school you can be constantly busy and have to prioritize your schedule. I’ve created better study habits from the masters program that have helped me tremendously in vet school. I love LMU, the professors, and the environment.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I actually did UGA's Biomedical Sciences Masters program and its quite literally a mini vet school. I took almost all of the same classes presented in vet school on a smaller scale and I think it really helped strengthen my application and show I was capable of doing those classes. It is online and I recommend it! Took me about a year (I am an ex Island school student) and I've accepted a seat with a new program in the states this cycle! Don't give up!!

Reactions: 2 users
I’m no longer embarrassed over this, and it’s because stupidly I only apply to my instate school, but this is my sixth application cycle. I won’t go into much details about my stats but really I needed to raise my GPA after applying the first time.
I did a graduate certificate program through UF online in Veterinary Public Health. It was two semesters and if you earned at least a B in your classes, they were applied to their masters in public health. I did not do this because I withdrew from one of the certificate classes, Epidemiology. I received decent grades, and it showed I was able to successfully complete upper level coursework at a competitive level. When that wasn’t enough i got an MPS. masters in professional science. Through Unity Environmental University online. I did the one year program. The courses were two at a time, and eight weeks long. I did this while working full time in lab animal medicine. I got my MPS in Animal Science and Behavior on a canine feline emphasis.
You could choose from that or equine for an emphasis.
I was able to raise my last 45 at a competitive level, got an interview with my IS, aaaaand then got waitlisted. BUT that did not discourage me. I applied this cycle and won’t stop applying until I can get my seat. Keep pushing for your dream. It’ll happen at the right time and place.

• Care
If there is a masters degree program that you're actually interested in and it's related to veterinary medicine (such as laboratory animal science), then go for it. It certainly wouldn't hurt your odds. However, I would not waste the time or money if you are not interested in or dedicated to the program. It may be best to try to spend more time working/volunteering at a clinic, shadowing doctors, or retaking pre-req classes if you believe your GPA may be a barrier.

I’m no longer embarrassed over this, and it’s because stupidly I only apply to my instate school, but this is my sixth application cycle. I won’t go into much details about my stats but really I needed to raise my GPA after applying the first time.
I did a graduate certificate program through UF online in Veterinary Public Health. It was two semesters and if you earned at least a B in your classes, they were applied to their masters in public health. I did not do this because I withdrew from one of the certificate classes, Epidemiology. I received decent grades, and it showed I was able to successfully complete upper level coursework at a competitive level. When that wasn’t enough i got an MPS. masters in professional science. Through Unity Environmental University online. I did the one year program. The courses were two at a time, and eight weeks long. I did this while working full time in lab animal medicine. I got my MPS in Animal Science and Behavior on a canine feline emphasis.
You could choose from that or equine for an emphasis.
I was able to raise my last 45 at a competitive level, got an interview with my IS, aaaaand then got waitlisted. BUT that did not discourage me. I applied this cycle and won’t stop applying until I can get my seat. Keep pushing for your dream. It’ll happen at the right time and place.
Good for you for not giving up on this dream. This is my 4th cycle and it makes me feel so hopeful to hear people like you share similar stories. We can do this! We will get in eventually. And we will be some of the most devoted students and vets. :)

Like others said, only pursue a graduate school if you are actually interested in the program. I have heard that some schools (even upon acceptance) will require you to complete the masters program OR have your advising professor write a confirmation of circumstances allowing you to go to vet school rather than complete the program.

I say this as I have recently submitted my application to proceed with a masters degree at my undergraduate college. I already have some research experience though and will be continuing working with a professor who understands the direction I want to take in life.

Reactions: 1 user