-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Summer volunteering adventure that doesn't cost thousands
Started by Chapelle
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Wasn't there a thread on this a couple days ago? Maybe a week ago?
what state are you in?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well theres Rural Area Vets in the states, but does go out of the country if you want an out of country trip... Then there is gvi, which im planning on doing this summer going to Italy for Whale/ Dolphin Research > since the recession their prices have dropped a bit still flying there is about 1500k roundtrip then plus the actual agencies cost, but both have free housing and food im pretty sure heres some links :
http://www.ruralareavet.org/schedule.php
http://www.gviusa.com/
the other day i discovered this one haven't heard much about them though
http://www.worldvets.org/Trips.html
http://www.ruralareavet.org/schedule.php
http://www.gviusa.com/
the other day i discovered this one haven't heard much about them though
http://www.worldvets.org/Trips.html
Might not be really what you're looking for, but the Virginia Wildlife Center has some opportunities that say they could provide housing for? I'm a Virginia resident so I'm looking at it as possibly a cheap wildlife experience idea later on...
http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/about-us/preceptorship-internship-opportunities/
http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/about-us/preceptorship-internship-opportunities/
One of the vets I work for does the worldvets one for her spaycations, and really seems to love it and have a good time.
http://www.mercurynews.com/campbell/ci_13773915?nclick_check=1
I've contemplated going on one, but I need to work out the logistics.
http://www.mercurynews.com/campbell/ci_13773915?nclick_check=1
I've contemplated going on one, but I need to work out the logistics.
1
168135
Has anyone ever done this one: http://www.ruralareavet.org/schedule.php
Yeah, there was a thread like this a week ago, but *cheap* wasn't exactly mentioned, lol.
Yeah, there was a thread like this a week ago, but *cheap* wasn't exactly mentioned, lol.
This thread was started a bit ago: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=642533
1
168135
I applied to Farm Santuary last summer. Apparently if you want to take a semester off, you have a better chance of getting an internship there. They have a lot more applicants in the summer than in the fall and winter.
i dont know how cheap is cheap for you but this program
http://www.globalsemesters.com/Summer-Belize-AnimalScience.html
is a month long and about $4000, so not to bad, 😉
http://www.globalsemesters.com/Summer-Belize-AnimalScience.html
is a month long and about $4000, so not to bad, 😉
Has anyone ever done this one: http://www.ruralareavet.org/schedule.php
Yeah, there was a thread like this a week ago, but *cheap* wasn't exactly mentioned, lol.
If you are going as a tech then you just need to pay to get to the location. From there in RAVS pays for housing/food/gas etc. RAVS is a lot cheaper than any other similar programs I have found. The 200 deposit is for vet students only.
1
168135
Might not be really what you're looking for, but the Virginia Wildlife Center has some opportunities that say they could provide housing for? I'm a Virginia resident so I'm looking at it as possibly a cheap wildlife experience idea later on...
http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/about-us/preceptorship-internship-opportunities/
I just sent then an email asking them about their application process and whether they'll accept a Canadian student. Because of my interrests, this preceptorship really caught my eye and I really hope I'm eligable 🙂 Back when I was thinking of being a vet tech, I was interrested in taking a wildlife rehabilitation course that followed it.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/
Has anyone ever done this one: http://www.ruralareavet.org/schedule.php
Yeah, there was a thread like this a week ago, but *cheap* wasn't exactly mentioned, lol.
I looked at their schedule not too long ago, and except for one trip next week, everything says "Full" straight up until next August. Boo.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I looked at their schedule not too long ago, and except for one trip next week, everything says "Full" straight up until next August. Boo.
Read the website again. The full designation applies only to current veterinary students, they are still looking for vets, techs, volunteers.
I just sent then an email asking them about their application process and whether they'll accept a Canadian student. Because of my interrests, this preceptorship really caught my eye and I really hope I'm eligable 🙂 Back when I was thinking of being a vet tech, I was interrested in taking a wildlife rehabilitation course that followed it.
Yay! I'm glad it helped someone! I've never been there before but have heard it's nice.
1
168135
My animal behavior prof told me about this website today:
http://www.animalbehavior.org/
On the right hand side, click on latest announcements and it will list research jobs, volunteer experiences, and courses. Some of it is for undergrads and some are for grad and PhD students, but it's worth taking a look through.
http://www.animalbehavior.org/
On the right hand side, click on latest announcements and it will list research jobs, volunteer experiences, and courses. Some of it is for undergrads and some are for grad and PhD students, but it's worth taking a look through.
Did you try to apply for a summer grant through your school? Some schools have a program where you write up a proposal for why you want to go, outline a budget, how your experience will benefit the college community at your school, etc. They will help you pay for almost everything, if not everything.
Similar threads
- Poll
- Replies
- 5K
- Views
- 152K
- Replies
- 1K
- Views
- 32K
- Replies
- 143
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 7K
- Views
- 124K