Owning an independent pharmacy along with a medical marijuana dispensary

Started by ethyl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Is this possible or even exist in states with medical marijuana? Possibly more lucrative than just compounding and delivery services? 😉

I wouldn't touch medical marijuana with a ten-foot pole at this point. It's been decriminalized in quite a few states, but it's still Grade-A illegal as far as the federal government is concerned. I know Obama said he would go easy on medical marijuana, but his list of promises that he has kept is somewhere in the range of 0 to 1.

Once medical marijuana is a federally-recognized prescription item, I think pharmacists should have a role in it's dispensing. It would be, after all, a medication, and we are the medication experts. At that point, I would view it as no different than any other controlled substance we're responsible for. Until that point, I'm going to view it as an illegal drug and treat it as such.

Disclaimer: Not necessarily my personal views on the entire marijuana debate, just my opinion on it as from the standpoint of a future professional.
 
In southern california (LA), there are pharmacists that open/run dispensaries. I remember watching it on the news. Gutsy, but progressive.

Even if pharmacists end up dispensing medical marijuana, could you imagine it coming neatly packaged in your Cardinal boxes every morning and counseling patients on its use?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't touch medical marijuana with a ten-foot pole at this point. It's been decriminalized in quite a few states, but it's still Grade-A illegal as far as the federal government is concerned. I know Obama said he would go easy on medical marijuana, but his list of promises that he has kept is somewhere in the range of 0 to 1.

Once medical marijuana is a federally-recognized prescription item, I think pharmacists should have a role in it's dispensing. It would be, after all, a medication, and we are the medication experts. At that point, I would view it as no different than any other controlled substance we're responsible for. Until that point, I'm going to view it as an illegal drug and treat it as such.

Disclaimer: Not necessarily my personal views on the entire marijuana debate, just my opinion on it as from the standpoint of a future professional.

It may be possible in a state like Oregon or Washington. Medical marijuana is legal in Oregon as of now. A dispensary? Not sure how that would work.

See this link.

On the other issue, let's at least be non-partisan about things. The link above also has a memorandum that the DOJ will not prosecute those who sell marijuana in accordance with state law.

My friend, let me introduce you to Politifact. It is a non-partisan site run by a Florida newspaper that rates the political promises of Obama and others. Being neither D nor R myself, I think it is a great tool to determine who is lying and how often, complete with the explanations as to how they determine whether a statement was factual or not.
 
I'm pretty confident it'll be possible in Florida perhaps in the next 10 years. But if I were to open one up now in a state where it's possible, it sounds like from the news my biggest worries would be getting randomly raided by the feds and robberies. 🙁 Doesn't seem worth the risk yet.
 
I'm pretty confident it'll be possible in Florida perhaps in the next 10 years. But if I were to open one up now in a state where it's possible, it sounds like from the news my biggest worries would be getting randomly raided by the feds and robberies. 🙁 Doesn't seem worth the risk yet.

You can repel the would-be cigaweed robbers with Doritos.
 
You can repel the would-be cigaweed robbers with Doritos.


Haha or better yet, strategically place a TV showing showing Bob Ross's greatest hits, they'll lose focus quickly...(happy trees..mMmmm)

bob_ross_1.jpg