Computer problems during Jan 2010 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noshie

Don't judge!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Geez, this 2010 thing is still getting me! I mean Jan 2010 MCAT! Cant change the thread name now! :)

I am just starting this thread to see if anyone has been in a similar situation and what AAMC did to fix it, or what options they offered.

I took my exam January 29th, 2010. During the physics section my computer did seem very slow to load the next page, sometimes taking up to 30 seconds, which were visibly timed as the timer was showing during the load of the next page. It did hinder my finishing this section of the exam because I had about 45 seconds or so left to get to the last page of stand alone questions and since the load took so long I was unable to even just blindly answer the questions, but it was only a few questions. When the verbal section started the computer started out the same with the slow loading times, then when I finished my 3rd passage and was trying to click next to get to the next passage, the computer froze! But to make matters worse the timer was still running. I got the Procter to come over and she tried to fix it, but she couldn't so she had to get me a new computer. However, when the page came up on the new computer the timer had run about 15 minutes while she was trying to fix it and get me a new computer. Therefore I had 15 minutes of time lost to computer problems, and I had less than 20 minutes left and 4 passages to go! What could I do but keep on going... I had to make educated guesses, or even just blind guesses on the last 2 passages...

I told the Procter about the running timer before she gave me a new computer, and even before I left the building. She didn't mention anything about retaking it or if she could even do anything about it.

I wrote a letter to MCAT per their guidelines for this type of situation. It's been over a week and they are still investigating. When I called they said it may take up to 3 weeks, and scores come out in 4 weeks. And to make it worse if they give me the option to retake I will need to take it on February 27th, which is probably right around the time they tell me what my options are.

So my question is: Has anyone been in this situation and what did AAMC do and say about it? Mainly I would like to know if they gave you your score and let you decide to keep it or not. Personally, I feel like I did excellent on the writing and biology sections, especially after getting the new computer. I did pretty good on the physics section and who knows on the verbal section since I had a disadvantage... I have been studying and focusing only on this test since September. And when I say focusing, I'm talking 8am-5pm MCAT study like 5-6 days a week, pretty much dropping everything in my life to focus on this test. In the past I have done very poor on the MCAT, and this time my practice tests show around 10-12 points of improvement. I seriously feel like I'm MCAT cursed because many bad things have happened to me on test days, both personally and during the test. I mean this is the fourth time I'm taking this exam, and I'm so close I can taste it. It's just frustrating not knowing what's going to happen next.

Members don't see this ad.

Either they'll void it or they won't. You can't really tell what they'll do, but let us know how it turns out for you, though my hunch is that they will not.

And they will never let you get your score back and let you decide if you like it or not. Never. That is out of the question that is for sure.

Thats a really tough situation. But I really admire you for being able to keep your composure in a sticky situation.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally got the letter from AAMC about their decision on this situation. They sent it to me two weeks after my score came out online, so I pretty much figured out what they were going to decide... The letter stated that they had spoken with the proctor and all of my complaints were determined to be true and experienced by the proctor. However, they decided that they couldn’t definitely determine that I had lost time. Which is seriously crap. I mean, they wrote that it was true that I had to get a new computer and that my computer froze during a section, but they decided that they didn’t want to believe that I lost time! Really...

I ended up scoring 4 points less than I had been doing in practice tests, but 5 points better than my last real MCAT (trust me it couldn’t get any lower than my last MCAT).

On the bright side, I ended up signing up for a repeat test March 27th and have increased my studies on subjects that needed improvement. I am now scoring around 29, better than my 26 practice averages prior to the January test. Im mostly unhappy that I have to pay to retake the test due to computer problems that were not my fault.

That is absolutely ridiculous. On a test that is so important to our futures, those computers should be reformatted daily to ensure they are functioning properly.

I would demand a full refund and definitely would want my score voided so that medical schools wouldn't get the impression I did badly and was retaking.

Your situation is definitely one of my biggest fears. I would so much rather take the paper format MCAT.

That is absolutely ridiculous. On a test that is so important to our futures, those computers should be reformatted daily to ensure they are functioning properly.

I would demand a full refund and definitely would want my score voided so that medical schools wouldn't get the impression I did badly and was retaking.

Your situation is definitely one of my biggest fears. I would so much rather take the paper format MCAT.

I agree. I did demand it, but they didn't give in. They told me I can send their letter in with my applications to at least let the schools know what happened. I will be doing this. However, my retaking the MCAT last week due to the horrible test I had in January puts me at 5 MCATs ever taken. Granted, the first two MCATs were in 2006, while it was still on paper. It's safe to say these are "expired" by most schools standards. But it just doesn't look good no matter how you look at it. Trust me, it should be your nightmare, it was one of the worst experiences of my life... My advice is make sure your computer doesn't act up during the first 10 minute section (where they tell you how to use all of the functions on the computer), and don't blow it off if it's slow or acting different than you would expect. Better safe than sorry.

Hey, I took my test on march 27th and the same stuff happened to me with the computer delays. Every GD section had the loading problem you were talking about. Mine was only 10 to 15 seconds but still! I had to throw all my test taking strategies involving passage triage out the window on the most stressful day of my life! I didn't switch computers or anything because I just thought everyone's test was like that but after finding out my friends computer was perfectly fine Im really pissed. Should I even complain or is it not even worth it? If your problem wasn't even responded to, what is the chance mine would be? Advice please!!!!
-Thanks

Hey, I took my test on march 27th and the same stuff happened to me with the computer delays. Every GD section had the loading problem you were talking about. Mine was only 10 to 15 seconds but still! I had to throw all my test taking strategies involving passage triage out the window on the most stressful day of my life! I didn't switch computers or anything because I just thought everyone's test was like that but after finding out my friends computer was perfectly fine Im really pissed. Should I even complain or is it not even worth it? If your problem wasn't even responded to, what is the chance mine would be? Advice please!!!!
-Thanks

Good to know that this has happened to others! Well, its too late to complain actually. It has to be in writing no later than 5 days after the test administration. I probably would have never complained if my computer didn't completely freeze on me. So how did you end up doing? Was it pretty much right on with your practice test scores?

I finally got the letter from AAMC about their decision on this situation. They sent it to me two weeks after my score came out online, so I pretty much figured out what they were going to decide... The letter stated that they had spoken with the proctor and all of my complaints were determined to be true and experienced by the proctor. However, they decided that they couldn’t definitely determine that I had lost time. Which is seriously crap. I mean, they wrote that it was true that I had to get a new computer and that my computer froze during a section, but they decided that they didn’t want to believe that I lost time! Really...

I ended up scoring 4 points less than I had been doing in practice tests, but 5 points better than my last real MCAT (trust me it couldn’t get any lower than my last MCAT).

On the bright side, I ended up signing up for a repeat test March 27th and have increased my studies on subjects that needed improvement. I am now scoring around 29, better than my 26 practice averages prior to the January test. Im mostly unhappy that I have to pay to retake the test due to computer problems that were not my fault.

Wow that's really crazy. They should just shut that place down. You pay 220$ for that type of opportunity? Not fair at all. I currently live in G.P,TX but took mine in another state. For all I know I could have been in the same situation. I commend your bravery. Good luck in the future:thumbup:

I was in your situation about a year ago. This is what happened:

About 45 minutes into the test, the computer screen went white. I called the proctor, and she came over and tried to fix it. She had to reboot the entire computer to get it running again. By the time the computer came back on, I knew I had lost about 5 minutes of time.

I decided right then and there, that it was unfair to lose those precious 5 minutes, PLUS my mindset was all frazzled. I told the proctor that I did not want to continue...so I commend you for continuing the test.

I made sure that the proctor documented what had happened. Afterwards, I called the MCAT people and reported the incident to them as well. I also had to write a letter and fax it into them, which I did the very same day. Within a week, the MCAT administration told me that I was okay and that they would not charge me for the next MCAT test. In essence, I got a full-refund.

I just want to let everyone know, that in a situation like this, make sure everything is documented. Make sure the proctor does the right thing also and make a report of what happened. I had to push my proctor to do it. She was very hesitant to write up any reports, but I kept complaining. I'm not sure if the testing centers have some sort of contract and they lose money for each malfunction? Anyhow, please protect yourself in a huge test like this.

I'm set to take the MCAT again soon, and I'm praying that a computer malfunction won't happen again anytime soon.

I was in your situation about a year ago. This is what happened:

About 45 minutes into the test, the computer screen went white. I called the proctor, and she came over and tried to fix it. She had to reboot the entire computer to get it running again. By the time the computer came back on, I knew I had lost about 5 minutes of time.

I decided right then and there, that it was unfair to lose those precious 5 minutes, PLUS my mindset was all frazzled. I told the proctor that I did not want to continue...so I commend you for continuing the test.

I made sure that the proctor documented what had happened. Afterwards, I called the MCAT people and reported the incident to them as well. I also had to write a letter and fax it into them, which I did the very same day. Within a week, the MCAT administration told me that I was okay and that they would not charge me for the next MCAT test. In essence, I got a full-refund.

I just want to let everyone know, that in a situation like this, make sure everything is documented. Make sure the proctor does the right thing also and make a report of what happened. I had to push my proctor to do it. She was very hesitant to write up any reports, but I kept complaining. I'm not sure if the testing centers have some sort of contract and they lose money for each malfunction? Anyhow, please protect yourself in a huge test like this.

I'm set to take the MCAT again soon, and I'm praying that a computer malfunction won't happen again anytime soon.

I wish I had done this. I did ask my proctor what I should do during the break and after the test, she said nothing. I didnt push her because I didnt think she could do anything, I figured I had to go directly through AAMC. Good luck on your test this time! When I retook it the computer worked great, although I went to a different testing site... I dont know my scores yet but I think I did way better without the added stress. :)