Drexel Med Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agl5008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I started this thread for people who have been accepted to Drexel 2014, or who are still waiting to hear back, and, of course, for those who've decided to go! Congrats to everyone who got in!:highfive:

The main point of this first post is to get a sense of what Drexel is like. I'm hoping that some Drexel students will join and give us some info about the school, but I think input from incoming students would be very helpful as well.

1) Do you have any tips on getting merit scholarships? Does Drexel give out a lot of these?
2) Where do most people live/how do you find housing? I've heard that a lot of people live in manyunk.
3) How is the PIL curriculum versus the IFM curriculum?
4) What kinds of clinical experiences to students have during the first two years?
5) What is the class dynamic like? Are people fairly friendly and do students hang out together, or do students have social lives away from the school? Do the PIL students stick together?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps answer this question. And congrats again to everyone who got in. Your gonna be doctors!:D

Members don't see this ad.

And congrats again to everyone who got in. Your gonna be doctors!:D

Nothing scares me more. Congrats, folks!

Drexel's my first acceptance, and while I have yet to finish the last of my interviews, there's a good chance I'll be looking at apartments in Roxborough in a few months.

To your list of excellent questions, I only have a couple additions:

- What's the summer research program like? Do they have you doing valuable work or would the research-inclined be better off contacting a PI independently and working with them for a longer period of time?
- [edit]To which I might add, do you know if there are any NIH T-35 grants or other research training funds available to nonminority students? This is the only grant I could find, and I'm too white toast to
qualify.​

- Do the MD/MPH students like the way the program's set up? Do many of them go elsewhere to complete the masters?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've also been accepted at Drexel and am 99% sure I'll be matriculating. Do you guys know if you are going with IFM or PIL? I've been accepted into the PIL program so I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be doing.

If any current students want to chime in with housing suggestions, that would be great. I'm moving from California and know very little about the area. Is it easy to live near the Hahnemann shuttle stop? Is housing in that area readily available? I think it would be cool to live closer to Center City as long as it doesn't require a car.

Members don't see this ad :)
Re: living in Philly:

First, a caveat: I grew up in the 'burbs, so all this information is coming from third parties-- mostly friends of mine who are living in the city now.

I've been told to look for places in Wissahickon/Manayunk, Germantown, and around the Mt. Vernon Cemetary. Great, relatively inexpensive living there, and close to Fairmont Park. I have some friends at Temple's med school, and some of them commute in from Roxborough by bike. Queen Lane is also on a number of 24hr Bus Lines, so quick and easy transit can be had to just about anywhere. I've found that most of these neighborhoods are listed under East Falls on the craigslist apartment pages.

As for Center City proper, Fishtown seems to be the hip place for most 20-somethings, the neighborhoods are fast gentrifying but you can still get some good deals on rent. The only problem is that the neighborhood is on the opposite side of the city.

Thanks White Hat. It's good to have some starting points to begin my search. I appreciate the help.

Hi everyone! So I started this thread for people who have been accepted to Drexel 2014, or who are still waiting to hear back, and, of course, for those who've decided to go! Congrats to everyone who got in!:highfive:

The main point of this first post is to get a sense of what Drexel is like. I'm hoping that some Drexel students will join and give us some info about the school, but I think input from incoming students would be very helpful as well.

1) Do you have any tips on getting merit scholarships? Does Drexel give out a lot of these?
2) Where do most people live/how do you find housing? I've heard that a lot of people live in manyunk.
3) How is the PIL curriculum versus the IFM curriculum?
4) What kinds of clinical experiences to students have during the first two years?
5) What is the class dynamic like? Are people fairly friendly and do students hang out together, or do students have social lives away from the school? Do the PIL students stick together?

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps answer this question. And congrats again to everyone who got in. Your gonna be doctors!:D

1. I have no idea how they hand these out. Sorry.

2. I've posted some things about where to live in previous thread in previous years. I'll try to dig something up and post it here.

3. People in IFM think their curriculum is the best and the people in PIL think theirs is the best. As it turns out, they're both right. You choose the curriculum that best suits your learning style and everyone's happy. A number of people switch from PIL to IFM after the first week or so of class, but for the most part people know how they like to learn. I'll tell you what everyone at Drexel will tell you (because it's true): students in both IFM and PIL do equally well on the boards and equally well when it comes to securing residencies. You're going to get all the knowledge you need no matter which path you take.

4. There are a lot of clinical experiences during the first two years. In fact, when you're neck deep in biochem and anatomy, you may wish there wasn't as much. Among other things, you'll learn to take histories and physicals both on standardized patients and in the hospital, you'll visit with geriatric patients at local retirement communities and you'll place PPDs in your fellow students.

5. The class dynamic is awesome. Everyone gets along and there are tons of get-togethers outside of class. It seems like I get an email ever other day about some social event that's upcoming. Because the IFM and PIL curricula are so separate, there's not a whole lot of interaction between groups. I barely ever see PIL students when I'm on campus.

Hey guys, I've also been accepted at Drexel and am 99% sure I'll be matriculating. Do you guys know if you are going with IFM or PIL? I've been accepted into the PIL program so I'm pretty sure that's what I'll be doing.

If any current students want to chime in with housing suggestions, that would be great. I'm moving from California and know very little about the area. Is it easy to live near the Hahnemann shuttle stop? Is housing in that area readily available? I think it would be cool to live closer to Center City as long as it doesn't require a car.

A number of people live in Center City during their preclinical years, but know that you'll be in the minority. If that's what you'd prefer, I say go for it. However, the shuttle from Hahnemann to Queen Lane only runs on weekdays and doesn't run past 10pm. So if you're planning on being on campus late or on weekends, you'll need a car or alternate transportation (bus, train, etc.).

Here are the most commonly lived in neighborhoods:

East Falls: Lots of people live here and it's nice and close by so you can get to class on time without having to get up earlier than necessary. Being close to campus, you're close to nice study areas, the lab, and the gym, but that's about all you're close to. East Falls is very residential, and as such there isn't much there besides houses. There are a few drug stores and a little "downtown" area by the water that's not too shabby. There's a bar or two, a couple restaurants, and plenty of places to run or bike in your free time.

Manayunk: Probably a 8-12 minute drive from campus depending on where you live and how the traffic is. This is where the vast majority of bar outings, etc. are held so if you're in to that you'll always be close to the action. There's great restaurants, shops, and a big movie theater. The major downside is parking, and the whole area is on a huge hill so take that into consideration during the winter months.

Roxborough: A little past Manayunk, and it has a mix of residential and some commercial stuff. Probably a 10-15 minute drive depending on when you're driving. Not too many other pluses.

City Ave.: This is where I live. It's a 10 minute drive to campus, and the location is nice. Most of the shopping is here. There's lots of commerical stuff here: Target, Olive Garden, Five Guys, Chilis, grocery stores, etc. Will Smith grew up around where I'm living, if that's a plus. PCOM is here.

Center City: Downtown. There are some people who live down here, but mostly folks from the area or people who did the post-bacc program last year and still have their apartment. If you live close to the hospital you can take the shuttle to and from campus, but it doesn't run on the weekends or past 10pm on weekdays.

Those are the major locales, but some people live in Germantown, Mt. Airy, etc. Rent can vary from $500-1200 a month and that may or may not include utilities.

1. I have no idea how they hand these out. Sorry.

2. I've posted some things about where to live in previous thread in previous years. I'll try to dig something up and post it here.

3. People in IFM think their curriculum is the best and the people in PIL think theirs is the best. As it turns out, they're both right. You choose the curriculum that best suits your learning style and everyone's happy. A number of people switch from PIL to IFM after the first week or so of class, but for the most part people know how they like to learn. I'll tell you what everyone at Drexel will tell you (because it's true): students in both IFM and PIL do equally well on the boards and equally well when it comes to securing residencies. You're going to get all the knowledge you need no matter which path you take.

4. There are a lot of clinical experiences during the first two years. In fact, when you're neck deep in biochem and anatomy, you may wish there wasn't as much. Among other things, you'll learn to take histories and physicals both on standardized patients and in the hospital, you'll visit with geriatric patients at local retirement communities and you'll place PPDs in your fellow students.

5. The class dynamic is awesome. Everyone gets along and there are tons of get-togethers outside of class. It seems like I get an email ever other day about some social event that's upcoming. Because the IFM and PIL curricula are so separate, there's not a whole lot of interaction between groups. I barely ever see PIL students when I'm on campus.

Thanks for your help. I'm definitely going for PIL if I end up going to drexel. It's nice to hear that the class is close-knit. For everyone's info, I just got an email about a second look day for accepted students on March 27 (saturday).

Looks like the second look day comes with free tix to the Body Worlds exhibit. I'm so in.

Hey everyone,

I'm still waiting on Drexel's final decision. I was wondering how long it took you all to get your acceptance letters. It has been exactly 8 weeks since my interview today.

Hey everyone,

I'm still waiting on Drexel's final decision. I was wondering how long it took you all to get your acceptance letters. It has been exactly 8 weeks since my interview today.

I got a final decision letter about 8-9 weeks post-interview.

Also, does anyone know what kind of grading system drexel uses? P/NP, etc?

I got a final decision letter about 8-9 weeks post-interview.

Also, does anyone know what kind of grading system drexel uses? P/NP, etc?

Drexel's grading system is Honors, High Satisfactory, Satisfactory, Fail. It usually works out to be:

Honors >90%
High Satisfactory 88-89%
Satisfactory 70-87%
Fail <70%

Some classes will modify this template slightly, and a couple of classes assign grades based on a curve.

Sometimes they'll throw in a "Marginally Unsatisfactory" for final grades that's around 65-69%. It's sort of like an incomplete that you have a chance to remedy.

Members don't see this ad :)
City Ave.: This is where I live. It's a 10 minute drive to campus, and the location is nice. Most of the shopping is here. There's lots of commerical stuff here: Target, Olive Garden, Five Guys, Chilis, grocery stores, etc. Will Smith grew up around where I'm living, if that's a plus. PCOM is here.

Where do you live? Presidential apts?

Your answers are too PC :laugh:

Tell it like it is, man! PIL is for old hippies!

The only meaningful thing I can contribute is that the answer to this is no. You'll get a $1000 per year in scholarship money most likely.

Before you go to the trouble of filling out the dumb scholarship application (you'll get info about this from Drexel when it's time) call them up and ask what the qualifcations are. If you don't have >$40,000 in educational debt or your parents make too much money (I forget what the cutoff is) you're not qualified for ANY scholarships, so save your time.

The $40,000 debt and the parental thing may change, so definitely call to see if you're eligible.

Bummer. I'm pretty dead set on PIL, but this was a concern of mine before making the decision. I was hoping the larger class size would make for a better social atmosphere.

I was also wondering what kind of relationship DUCOM and Drexel undergrad have. Do med students ever go to the undergrad campus for any reason, or are they fairly segregated? I know at my undergrad institution, which also has a medical school, med students would host a Q&A session for premeds once a term and I always thought I'd get involved in something like that if it were offered.

Here are the most commonly lived in neighborhoods...

Thanks for the breakdown saqrfaraj. You've been really helpful since I started following the Drexel threads at the beginning of this app season. I need to buy you a beer when I come out to Philly. :thumbup:

Your answers are too PC :laugh:

Tell it like it is, man! PIL is for old hippies!

old_hippie_.jpg

PIL appeals to me for a lot of reasons. PBL seems right up my ally and I feel like the mandatory attendance will keep me on my toes. Also, it seems to me like DUCOM operates as two completely separate medical schools for MS1/MS2. A class size of 65 vs a class size of 180 sounds like a benefit to me. But what the hell do I know?

Can I ask what aspects of PIL dissuade you xanthomondo?

Anyone hear about Alden Park Apartments on Wissahickon Ave?...Its about a block from DUCOM...any feedback would be appreciated..Thanks!

Anyone hear about Alden Park Apartments on Wissahickon Ave?...Its about a block from DUCOM...any feedback would be appreciated..Thanks!

This is where I live. I probably wouldn't recommend these to anyone, unless maybe you can get a few roommates and get the huge 2100 square foot apartment (which will be ~700 monthish).

We have a lot of problems with security being nasty and mean. Not to mention security is just a joke. I've had maintenance break into my apartment (while I was here) twice. Each time they make up some lame excuse "Oh we wanted to see if anyone was living here".

The apartments are ridiculously overpriced. The only reason I'm here is because the complex manager is so ******ed she made a typo on my contract for 50% of my rent rate when I was about to renew. She signed off on the new rate and everything. Six months later after paying the new rate, I got a letter "You owe us $2000", so I called, they brought up my contract and saw that the apartment manager shredded the contract that we both signed (with the reduced rate) and made a new one (without my signature) and put it in my file. Obviously I made a copy and won that battle, but the amount of stupidity here is baffling.

The pricetag on my 1 bedroom apartment is $1300...that is steep for this area. This used to include access to the gym/pool area, but we received a letter saying we would have to pay for this if you still wanted to use it (Ive never used it once, but I'm not even sure this is legal).

PIL appeals to me for a lot of reasons. PBL seems right up my ally and I feel like the mandatory attendance will keep me on my toes. Also, it seems to me like DUCOM operates as two completely separate medical schools for MS1/MS2. A class size of 65 vs a class size of 180 sounds like a benefit to me. But what the hell do I know?

Can I ask what aspects of PIL dissuade you xanthomondo?

Haha that was a joke, I'm not actually against PIL. If you go to accepted students day you'll get to participate in a mock PIL session (so review your bio! just kidding :laugh:)

There's pros and cons to each. PIL you get to mash out the science and talk about it among peers (good for understanding it), but you depend on your classmates to learn (which I'm not a fan).

IFM has pros and cons, too. We have some absolutely phenomenal lectures, but at the same time we probably have 3x the amount of horrific "are you kidding me" lecturers. Sometimes it can get quite frustrating.

I've been accepted in PIL but I had a couple of questions.

From what I remember, though correct me if I'm wrong, but all the IFM classes are recorded and you can always watch them on the internet at home and/or at a later time.

1) So are PIL lessons recorded too??
2) If not and you have to miss a class then are you gonna fall behind and your on your own to catch up?
3) As a PIL student, can you access IFM lectures from the internet?

I will definitely be matriculating this fall (I guess in 4 months!) and will be moving out there from San Diego and I appreciate all of the housing inputs you have all contributed to and I'm leaning towards living downtown, thanks for all the suggestions! I'm pretty excited!

I've been accepted in PIL but I had a couple of questions.

From what I remember, though correct me if I'm wrong, but all the IFM classes are recorded and you can always watch them on the internet at home and/or at a later time.

1) So are PIL lessons recorded too??
2) If not and you have to miss a class then are you gonna fall behind and your on your own to catch up?
3) As a PIL student, can you access IFM lectures from the internet?

I will definitely be matriculating this fall (I guess in 4 months!) and will be moving out there from San Diego and I appreciate all of the housing inputs you have all contributed to and I'm leaning towards living downtown, thanks for all the suggestions! I'm pretty excited!

It'd be nice if there was a PIL student around here because I really don't know a lot of the specifics. I'll see if I can help, though.

1. The PIL "resource sessions" are recorded. These are the occasional lectures in PIL. I highly doubt that the small groups and seminars are recorded.

2. I imagine so.

3. I just tried opening up a PIL lecture video and it said I'm not authorized to view it. Maybe they can watch ours, though. I'm not sure.

old_hippie_.jpg

PIL appeals to me for a lot of reasons. PBL seems right up my ally and I feel like the mandatory attendance will keep me on my toes. Also, it seems to me like DUCOM operates as two completely separate medical schools for MS1/MS2. A class size of 65 vs a class size of 180 sounds like a benefit to me.

I'm totally with you JohnyExtra.

By the way, Sun Dog, how did you get accepted to the PIL program...did they call you and ask you questions? THanks

I'm totally with you JohnyExtra.

By the way, Sun Dog, how did you get accepted to the PIL program...did they call you and ask you questions? THanks

Yes, an MD from Drexel's PIL called me on this past Wednesday and asked me a bunch of questions about why I chose PIL and what kind of learner I am and wanted to make sure that I was choosing PIL for the right reasons. She then said that I was 'accepted' into the program and would be sending me some PIL stuff in the mail. I forget her name but I remember that she was a pediatrician.

Yes, an MD from Drexel's PIL called me on this past Wednesday and asked me a bunch of questions about why I chose PIL and what kind of learner I am and wanted to make sure that I was choosing PIL for the right reasons. She then said that I was 'accepted' into the program and would be sending me some PIL stuff in the mail. I forget her name but I remember that she was a pediatrician.

Ditto, only I had my call with Dr. Zern in early December. I read on the forums that they also required an essay at one point, but that wasn't the case for me.

i appreciate the feedback on alden park!..what would you say are to "Pros" to this place is accordance with the unfortunate security,weird repair people and steep prices

i appreciate the feedback on alden park!..what would you say are to "Pros" to this place is accordance with the unfortunate security,weird repair people and steep prices

It's nice to have a parking lot. The apartments are sorta nice, I do have a fully functional fireplace that I use often.

Other than that I got nada else nice to say :laugh:

It's nice to have a parking lot. The apartments are sorta nice, I do have a fully functional fireplace that I use often.

Other than that I got nada else nice to say :laugh:

Since starting med school and living in Alden Park, what has been the consensus among everyone (med students, etc) as to the "best" living situations people are in?? Such as best apartments, etc

What is parking like at school? Just by google earthing the school I don't see a whole lot of parking spaces. Does it cost money (parking pass or daily)?? Is it a big pain??

What is parking like at school? Just by google earthing the school I don't see a whole lot of parking spaces. Does it cost money (parking pass or daily)?? Is it a big pain??

It's $400 a year to park in the campus lot. Once you pay, they activate your ID card and you swipe to get into the lot. I've never had trouble finding a space except for on Discovery Day. There's quite a bit of parking on the street too, though. Lots of people park on Queen Lane (especially in front of the reservoir), Midvale, etc.

Also, if anyone is moving to Alden Park - if you PM me I'll give you my name/contact and you can use me as a reference

Alden gives $500 (last i checked) for refences, I'll split it with you 50/50.

It's $400 a year to park in the campus lot. Once you pay, they activate your ID card and you swipe to get into the lot. I've never had trouble finding a space except for on Discovery Day. There's quite a bit of parking on the street too, though. Lots of people park on Queen Lane (especially in front of the reservoir), Midvale, etc.

...and this is about the time where you will start to learn that Drexel views you as a giant pinata stuffed with money....and they will start to beat it out of you with a stick :laugh:

Fun fact! If you pay by semester (for around half the price, I think) and you don't renew your parking pass your card will be disabled so that you have access to nothing. You have to make a special trip to have them reactivate your card (that's awfully convenient for them, isn't it?) Anything for an extra buck, I guess.

Last edited:
Has anyone received any information regarding financial aid/scholarships?

Also, in terms of housing... can any current student comment as to what a normal lease period is? (like june to june or may to may)

Thanks!

Ok, so in what month do leases generally start, or is there a pretty even spread year-round. I only ask because I know in some areas it is pretty standard for most places to to start leases in june or july... so I was wondering if East Falls and Manayunk apartments tend to rent out with leases starting in a certain month.

just wondering if anyone's researched the clinical options that they include with the acceptance letter. looks like we can do 3rd and 4th years at allegheny, monmouth, or st peters, if we like. does anyone know if our choice now is binding? and if you've decided on one of these hospitals, would you mind sharing your thoughts/reasons? i'm not sure what the pros/cons would be. any insight would be appreciated! thanks!

just wondering if anyone's researched the clinical options that they include with the acceptance letter. looks like we can do 3rd and 4th years at allegheny, monmouth, or st peters, if we like. does anyone know if our choice now is binding? and if you've decided on one of these hospitals, would you mind sharing your thoughts/reasons? i'm not sure what the pros/cons would be. any insight would be appreciated! thanks!

I asked a question in the main forum about this a while back. LizzyM replied.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=700749

Basically boils down to the patient volumes at the hospital and whether or not you have interest in doing a residency there. So for most people, it doesn't really matter. And I've read somewhere in one of these Drexel threads, that it isnt binding, and you can change your mind later on whether or not to stay in one area for all your rotations.

On another note, does anyone know how important/necessary it is to have a car during the 3rd/4th years? Do you definitely need it to to get to your rotations? Or how do people deal with this?

At this point, your decision is not binding. You'll be asked again about your preference during your second year.

Basically the pros of staying put are not having to deal with moving around every six weeks and the ability to really get to know the physicians at that location. The downside is that if you hate where you're at, you're stuck there.

The biggest positive of moving around is the ability to experience a variety of hospital systems, physicians, and patient populations. The downside is, of course, moving.

However, it's very possible to stay in one area even if you don't choose an all-year option. I managed to do it, and so did many of my friends.

Lastly, know that free housing is provided at all away sites, so don't let that be a factor in your decision.

On another note, does anyone know how important/necessary it is to have a car during the 3rd/4th years? Do you definitely need it to to get to your rotations? Or how do people deal with this?

They'll tell you it's required, and for a number of rotations (especially family medicine), they're right. Housing at away sites is not always within walking distance of the hospital, and you'll often have to travel between various clinics and offices during your rotations. You'll also be required to go back to Queen Lane at certain times for shelf exams, etc.

To be safe, you should have a car. A few of my friends don't and they've tried to compile a schedule that avoids those sites that are known to require cars. So it's possible to do without, but I can't say it'll be easy.

When in August does the program usually begin? I'm trying to make my Philly Folk Fest plans and it doesn't sound like Drexel's going to give me a definitive date for another month or so.

When in August does the program usually begin? I'm trying to make my Philly Folk Fest plans and it doesn't sound like Drexel's going to give me a definitive date for another month or so.

Plan on orientation starting around the first week of August. I believe it was August 4th for the current MS-1s.

for those of us waiting to hear back post interview, the question has been raised as to the difference between the following statuses

A decision has been reached and a letter will be maile to a preferred address

vs.

A FINAL decision has been reached and a letter will be maile to a preferred address

for those of you that are already in, what status did you recieve, does it make a difference regarding acceptance/waitlist/rejection?

At this point, your decision is not binding. You'll be asked again about your preference during your second year.

Basically the pros of staying put are not having to deal with moving around every six weeks and the ability to really get to know the physicians at that location. The downside is that if you hate where you're at, you're stuck there.

The biggest positive of moving around is the ability to experience a variety of hospital systems, physicians, and patient populations. The downside is, of course, moving.

However, it's very possible to stay in one area even if you don't choose an all-year option. I managed to do it, and so did many of my friends.

Lastly, know that free housing is provided at all away sites, so don't let that be a factor in your decision.

thanks, this is so helpful. can i ask which area you stayed in and what you liked about it? also, does moving around affect matching for residency? it seems like most ppl i know who've gone thru med school view their clinical sites as a "backup" in case they don't match at their top choices.... is this more/less true for students who rotate thru more than one site?

hi pills! thanks for the link. are you set on drexel this coming year?

thanks, this is so helpful. can i ask which area you stayed in and what you liked about it? also, does moving around affect matching for residency? it seems like most ppl i know who've gone thru med school view their clinical sites as a "backup" in case they don't match at their top choices.... is this more/less true for students who rotate thru more than one site?

I wanted to stay in the Philadelphia area because my girlfriend is here, I have family in the area, and I wanted to keep my apartment.

Does moving around affect matching? I can't say for sure. If a certain hospital has a strong residency program in a specialty you're interested in, then you should probably try and rotate through there. Our clinical site in Pittsburgh, Allegheny General, is popular for this reason. It's got a great reputation for surgery and a lot of budding surgeons try and rotate through there during their 3rd year. The same is true for our children's hospital, St. Christopher's, when it comes to pediatrics.

For those of you currently living in Philly, what's a reasonable price for paying rent in East Falls, Roxborough, Manayunk, Germantown, Center City, etc.?

I'd prefer to live somewhere close to the College since I probably won't have a car for the first year or two. Any tips for finding housing? I've been looking at Craigslist and I'm not sure what's a good deal and what's not.

Hey all,
Just received my PIL letter and orientation is July 28-30. See you old fogies soon!! You're my boy Blue!

I was also wondering what kind of relationship DUCOM and Drexel undergrad have. Do med students ever go to the undergrad campus for any reason, or are they fairly segregated? I know at my undergrad institution, which also has a medical school, med students would host a Q&A session for premeds once a term and I always thought I'd get involved in something like that if it were offered.

Anyone?

Hey all,
Just received my PIL letter and orientation is July 28-30. See you old fogies soon!! You're my boy Blue!

See you there man. :highfive:

Current first year at Drexel. I've only ever been to main campus once, and that was to get a vaccination since I been too lazy to get it handled over the summer. There may be programs like that in place, but I've never heard of them. Although, admittedly, I wasn't looking very hard.