-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Words that need to be eliminated from the general public's vocabulary.
Started by frozen_canadian
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
"Neuticals"
Worst invention ever.
Also, why do owners have such an aversion to words like stool and fecal? Why do they always insist that they brought a "present" for me? Heck, just tell me it's poop, I don't care!
Lets see... there's the dog who bleeds from his "magic stick." That one made me laugh, I have to admit.
It does bother me when male cats are spayded though. I don't understand that one.
Worst invention ever.
Also, why do owners have such an aversion to words like stool and fecal? Why do they always insist that they brought a "present" for me? Heck, just tell me it's poop, I don't care!
Lets see... there's the dog who bleeds from his "magic stick." That one made me laugh, I have to admit.
It does bother me when male cats are spayded though. I don't understand that one.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the "actual humans" that say spayded actually think that's correct though..
I had a client scream at me the other day because I called to confirm her appointment and said "Fido is coming in to be castrated"
Apparently that word is a no-no?
I usually use neutered, but had just called to confirm two geldings and three bull calf castrations. The word was stuck in my head.
Anyway, long story short, she canceled her appointment because castrations are so much more painful than neuterings. Her words, not mine. I tried to explain that it's the same thing, but apparently you castrate dogs with rubber bands and pliers, or something like that.
Apparently that word is a no-no?
I usually use neutered, but had just called to confirm two geldings and three bull calf castrations. The word was stuck in my head.
Anyway, long story short, she canceled her appointment because castrations are so much more painful than neuterings. Her words, not mine. I tried to explain that it's the same thing, but apparently you castrate dogs with rubber bands and pliers, or something like that.
One of our clients wanted her dog "neuterized"
🤣
oh my god, that is hilarious! I laughed so hard my husband thought I was crazy!
Anyway, long story short, she canceled her appointment because castrations are so much more painful than neuterings.
LMAO!!

I think the "actual humans" that say spayded actually think that's correct though..
Y'know, I don't know what I meant by "actual humans" (as opposed to the fake ones, I guess?). It's been a long day. Went almost 8 hours between breakfast and lunch. But yeah, I'll agree with you that it would be irritating if someone thought "spayded" was the actual term.
I'd never do this, but it would be really fun to do a little research project that involved giving clients options (e.g. "Would you like to have Spot sterilized, neutered, castrated, demasculinized, or other _______?") and see which words are most and least appealing 

My mom texted me asking when the dogs' "limes" vaccine was due. Clients say it too. I politely correct them, "lyme". 😀
I'd never do this, but it would be really fun to do a little research project that involved giving clients options (e.g. "Would you like to have Spot sterilized, neutered, castrated, or demasculinized, or other _______?") and see which words are most and least appealing![]()
🤣
Y'know, I don't know what I meant by "actual humans" (as opposed to the fake ones, I guess?). It's been a long day.
Oh I knew what you meant (well, I thought I did, but if you don't know maybe I don't either) I say things like that sometimes as well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That would be an interesting project.
"Ya'll did what to him? No no! I just wanted a bath! Well, I checked 'Sterilized'!!"

I had a client ask once if we performed "tubal litigations". I asked the vet, and she said that we could debate it 😉
Oh got I HATE "spaded." And the Border Collie vaccine. Alternatively, we sometimes like to call this "bordatella." I would also like to strike puggle, doodle, schnoodle, maltipoo, and any other mixed breed "breed" names from existence.
I also love people who can't pronounce the name of the purebred dog they own, even if it IS generally bought from a crappy petstore. Like Rothwilers.
To be fair, we say some weird stuff sometimes. Today a client looked very confused after the Dr checked to see if the cat had a full bladder for a cysto, and pronounced "well, she hasn't got a bladder right now, so do you mind if we keep her for the day?" I had to explain that she meant that the cat's bladder was EMPTY. It still exists, don't worry! :-D
I also love people who can't pronounce the name of the purebred dog they own, even if it IS generally bought from a crappy petstore. Like Rothwilers.
To be fair, we say some weird stuff sometimes. Today a client looked very confused after the Dr checked to see if the cat had a full bladder for a cysto, and pronounced "well, she hasn't got a bladder right now, so do you mind if we keep her for the day?" I had to explain that she meant that the cat's bladder was EMPTY. It still exists, don't worry! :-D
I love the clients that ask if they can have their cat "sprayed". 

I had a client ask once if we performed "tubal litigations". I asked the vet, and she said that we could debate it 😉
We actually did a tubal ligation at my previous job. Odd client that wanted that...
We get spaded/spade all the time! Just today on the phone - "How much would it be to get my cat spaded and his rabie shot?" Wrong on several levels, for sure.
We also get asked about doing a "bordello" vaccination... haha.
We also get asked about doing a "bordello" vaccination... haha.
I don't know about everyone else but the general mispronunciation of the word veterinary drives me NUTS. I even had a professor in grad school write "Vetinary" medicine on a power point presentation.
My mom says vet-trin-ar-y. I gave up telling her that she was a few syllables off. 🙄
My mom says vet-trin-ar-y. I gave up telling her that she was a few syllables off. 🙄
I have to admit that I tend to pronounce it like that when I am not thinking. My coworkers never stop teasing me about it!
I have a good one a client came in with a border collie and when i said "Oh what a cute border collie" The man looked horrified and quickly corrected me that is dog was a "Border Line Collie" not a Border Collie. He told the vet that he didn't want me to assist her with his pet because I couldn't tell one breed from another, lol.
I would also like to strike puggle, doodle, schnoodle, maltipoo, and any other mixed breed "breed" names from existence.
I agree. And chi-weenie? (Was asked once if we got them very often at the shelter. And no, we don't).
...Saw an ad in the local paper about some "doodles" for sale. Don't worry, they come with their registered "hybrid" papers...
And aah!!! I didn't realize so many people used the term "spayded"/"spaded"--I thought it was just the "locals." The worst I can recall was an adopter who asked if we could have her male kitten's claws "spaded."
I am guilty of calling it a red rocket/lipstick. I also have a chi-weenie! 😛
To add to the list, we had a client come in and say the word meese (plural for moose, I suppose).
To add to the list, we had a client come in and say the word meese (plural for moose, I suppose).
I am guilty of calling it a red rocket/lipstick.
I had someone tell their excited male dog to "put his junk back in his trunk."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That would be an interesting project.
"Ya'll did what to him? No no! I just wanted a bath! Well, I checked 'Sterilized'!!"
Funny story about this. My BF and I were discussing adopting a puppy, and I said the first thing I do would give it a bath. Earlier in the conversation, I had mentioned the puppy would need to be sterilized and he responded to my bath comment with "wait, wouldnt that already be done?"
He doesnt know what he is getting himself into just yet with vet school...

I would also like to strike puggle, doodle, schnoodle, maltipoo, and any other mixed breed "breed" names from existence.
And then I get yelled at by the owner because pekapoo isn't on the AKC list in my computer and her $1500 dog has to be listed as a mixed breed ( which it's the complete definition of).
I also love people who can't pronounce the name of the purebred dog they own, even if it IS generally bought from a crappy petstore. Like Rothwilers.
Must be a different breed.. here we have rockweilers
I once had a man tell me over the phone (in some unrelated tangent) that his last dog died of "ammonia." That's definitely my all time favorite.
Must be a different breed.. here we have rockweilers
Not to be confused with a rock-wilder. That's a completely different breed too.
And they are know for coming down with the prayvo. It's a bad deal.
1. Couple comes in and says something is wrong with their kitten, I start getting TPR looking over the kitten and ask them what's the problem? They respond by saying she's vibrating a lot 
2. (don't have all the details on this one cause the receptionist came back and told us all) Lady calls in and says her husband is always away...Then goes on to say she has a great dane and that she sleeps in the same bed as the dog , and then says sometimes they get frisky and it just slips in and was wondering if either she or the dog could catch anything....yeah they banged it out

2. (don't have all the details on this one cause the receptionist came back and told us all) Lady calls in and says her husband is always away...Then goes on to say she has a great dane and that she sleeps in the same bed as the dog , and then says sometimes they get frisky and it just slips in and was wondering if either she or the dog could catch anything....yeah they banged it out

"shots"
The vet I worked for really hated that word. I remember her being on the phone with another one of the techs at one of our other clinics, and I was just standing there by the computer making up an estimate and I hear "What?? You SHOT the dog??" in a completely deadpan, serious voice. It took me a second, then I just started giggling uncontrollably and had to sit down for a little bit.
The vet I worked for really hated that word. I remember her being on the phone with another one of the techs at one of our other clinics, and I was just standing there by the computer making up an estimate and I hear "What?? You SHOT the dog??" in a completely deadpan, serious voice. It took me a second, then I just started giggling uncontrollably and had to sit down for a little bit.
A little off-topic, but not really:
This lady called in one day saying that she thought her male bulldog had mounted her female toy poodle. She said that she came home after work and saw that her bull dog had a "smug grin" on his face, so she promptly investigated the situation. She found that the back of her poodle felt wet, and, according to her, the wet stuff "smelled like semen." She then proceeded to call her poodle a "little slut" XD.
...I refrained from asking her how she knew what semen smelled like.
This lady called in one day saying that she thought her male bulldog had mounted her female toy poodle. She said that she came home after work and saw that her bull dog had a "smug grin" on his face, so she promptly investigated the situation. She found that the back of her poodle felt wet, and, according to her, the wet stuff "smelled like semen." She then proceeded to call her poodle a "little slut" XD.
...I refrained from asking her how she knew what semen smelled like.
2. (don't have all the details on this one cause the receptionist came back and told us all) Lady calls in and says her husband is always away...Then goes on to say she has a great dane and that she sleeps in the same bed as the dog , and then says sometimes they get frisky and it just slips in and was wondering if either she or the dog could catch anything....yeah they banged it out![]()
WTF 😱

My mom says vet-trin-ar-y. I gave up telling her that she was a few syllables off. 🙄
I pronounce it like this too, but I chalk it up to my years of living in the UK. Where else does one see Banbury pronounced "banbry" or Bicester pronounced "bister"? At least I can pronounce Worcestershire sauce correctly, and without turning it into a tongue twister.
As far as words that need to be deleted, every field has one. My present field has a lot of "outsiders" involved as users. I actually have to stay out of our main nerve center (Tactical Operations Center) because I turn into the "Radio Nazi".
2. (don't have all the details on this one cause the receptionist came back and told us all) Lady calls in and says her husband is always away...Then goes on to say she has a great dane and that she sleeps in the same bed as the dog , and then says sometimes they get frisky and it just slips in and was wondering if either she or the dog could catch anything....yeah they banged it out
Oh sweet jesus...I would be rendered speechless. I don't think I have enough professionalism to have handled that particular conversation.
1
168135
I hate it when people used "spaded" to describe their male dog.
I also HATE IT WITH A PASSION when people pernounce betta as bay-ta, when in fact, if you look it up, it's "bet-ta". I've only come across ONE person since I started keeping them when I was 14 who says it right... and my boyfriend, who didn't even know what it was until I bought one.
This one is off topic, but does anyone remember Ty Beanie Babies? Ty Warner was the creator so the name is Ty as in Tie. Everybody in Texas got it right when I lived there but as soon as I came back to Nova Scotia, people were calling them "Tee-Why" beanie babies like they were initials. If they were initials, both letters would be capitalized, there would be a period after each letter, and they should be able to tell me what those letters stand for.
*headdesk*
I also HATE IT WITH A PASSION when people pernounce betta as bay-ta, when in fact, if you look it up, it's "bet-ta". I've only come across ONE person since I started keeping them when I was 14 who says it right... and my boyfriend, who didn't even know what it was until I bought one.
This one is off topic, but does anyone remember Ty Beanie Babies? Ty Warner was the creator so the name is Ty as in Tie. Everybody in Texas got it right when I lived there but as soon as I came back to Nova Scotia, people were calling them "Tee-Why" beanie babies like they were initials. If they were initials, both letters would be capitalized, there would be a period after each letter, and they should be able to tell me what those letters stand for.
*headdesk*
This one is off topic, but does anyone remember Ty Beanie Babies? Ty Warner was the creator so the name is Ty as in Tie. Everybody in Texas got it right when I lived there but as soon as I came back to Nova Scotia, people were calling them "Tee-Why" beanie babies like they were initials. If they were initials, both letters would be capitalized, there would be a period after each letter, and they should be able to tell me what those letters stand for.
*headdesk*
I always called them "Tee-Why" when I was younger because the T wasn't capitalized, and internet didn't exist to me yet. I've fixed it, but it's not a topic I talk about frequently.
On another note, they make wonderful dog toys for smaller/gentler dogs who don't rip things to shreds in two seconds.
Kind of off-topic maybe, but my boyfriend just told me that the word "utilize" is a fake, jazzed-up way to say used. Kind of made me sad because I utilize utilize all the friggin' time....
How about calling them Canadian Geese? Yes, they can be Canadian, but in that case, they're Canadian CANADA Geese. Or they could be American Canada Geese. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just remembered another one... I once took a phone call from a woman whose regular vet had referred her dog to our emergency service for a "barbarium" swallow. 

1. Couple comes in and says something is wrong with their kitten, I start getting TPR looking over the kitten and ask them what's the problem? They respond by saying she's vibrating a lot
2. (don't have all the details on this one cause the receptionist came back and told us all) Lady calls in and says her husband is always away...Then goes on to say she has a great dane and that she sleeps in the same bed as the dog , and then says sometimes they get frisky and it just slips in and was wondering if either she or the dog could catch anything....yeah they banged it out![]()
Ok I know this thread isn't for weird stories but this made me think of something that happened at a vets office I worked at. This guy called in and said that he was experimenting sexually and put his hamster in his ummmm back door. He asked how to get it out and then suggested using a vacuum. AFter he said that we heard a vacuum go on (btw we had it on speaker phone in the back of the office). I think this was a prank call but stillll it was hilarious
I hope that was a prank call! I would have laughed so hard I cried, I think. Terrible!
I also know this thread isn't for "not the brightest crayon" coworkers/receptionists, but I get grumpy whenever I read through files and a past employee would spell 'diarrhea' and 'vomiting' wrong every time. You write it enough, learn to spell it. They would also say that something was 'pus**' instead of 'purulent'... haha. I see that word and do a double take. However, a more recent employee... spelled it 'canser'. SERIOUSLY?
I also know this thread isn't for "not the brightest crayon" coworkers/receptionists, but I get grumpy whenever I read through files and a past employee would spell 'diarrhea' and 'vomiting' wrong every time. You write it enough, learn to spell it. They would also say that something was 'pus**' instead of 'purulent'... haha. I see that word and do a double take. However, a more recent employee... spelled it 'canser'. SERIOUSLY?

I also know this thread isn't for "not the brightest crayon" coworkers/receptionists, but I get grumpy whenever I read through files and a past employee would spell 'diarrhea' and 'vomiting' wrong every time. You write it enough, learn to spell it. They would also say that something was 'pus**' instead of 'purulent'... haha. I see that word and do a double take. However, a more recent employee... spelled it 'canser'. SERIOUSLY?![]()
One of the techs at the clinic where I volunteer once wrote "bal" instead of "bowel". Not as scary as spelling it "canser" but it did make me laugh pretty hard.
Similar threads
A
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 899
A
- Replies
- 7K
- Views
- 125K
- Replies
- 368
- Views
- 12K
S
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
S